PDA

View Full Version : CNNSI:USC 80%, OU 60%, LSU 40%

SoonerBOI
9/12/2007, 08:38 PM
Just want to share this article from CNNSI mailbag.

There is so much I share in common with my readers -- our mutual love of college football, our shared contempt for Lou Holtz's "analysis," our refined taste in beautiful television actresses -- yet there is one area in which we could not be more different. I tend to live my life day to day, week to week. I tend to avoid making plans any further ahead of time than absolutely necessary. In fact as I'm writing this sentence, at 3:24 p.m. on Tuesday, I have no idea what my dinner will consist of this evening.

You guys, on the other hand, like to look way down the road. Your most common questions this week involve a hypothetical, three-team national title dilemma that is still 12 weeks from maybe, possibly coming to fruition; a rumored coaching change that may or may not take place, because of another school's coaching change that may or may not take place (but probably will); and, in the case of a pressing, non-football related Mailbag development of which many of you e-mailed me, a theoretical romantic possibility that is so remote and so far down the road it barely merits my response (though of course I have one).

First things first.

I know you don't like "What If" scenarios this early in the season, but this season already feels eerily like 2003. So it must be asked ... what if we end up with USC, LSU and Oklahoma all undefeated and wanting into the national championship game? Could a bad memory from 2003 push OU out in favor of LSU and USC?
--Nate, Kansas City
I must admit, the irony of this week's top three was not lost on me -- not only that it's those same three teams from the 2003 controversy, but that they're ranked in the exact order that most of the public would have preferred the BCS computers to spit out at the end of that regular season, when the Sooners lost 35-7 to Kansas State in the Big 12 title game but somehow remained No. 1.

But I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about that scenario, because I predict -- check that, I guarantee -- that at least two of those teams will suffer a loss. That's not necessarily an indictment against those teams as much as a testament to their arduous schedules. In fact, if I had to put percentage estimates on each team's chance of losing a game, it would be:

USC: 80 percent. As I wrote last weekend, it's becoming increasingly apparent that the Trojans' schedule is much tougher than originally anticipated, what with road trips to (using SI.com's power rankings) No. 8 Cal, No. 11 Nebraska, No. 17 Oregon, No. 24 Washington and No. 27 Arizona State, plus No. 12 UCLA at home.

This year's Trojans are stacked, but certainly not invincible, and in fact, in light of Michigan's much-chronicled defensive woes -- considering much of USC's preseason status was based on its own depantsing of Michigan's D in last year's Rose Bowl -- I'm starting to fear we the voters were too presumptuous in anointing the Trojans No. 1. We'll find out soon enough.

Oklahoma: 60 percent. You can't be anything but wowed by the Sooners' performances so far, but in Bob Stoops' tenure, only two of his teams have made it through the regular season undefeated. One was the 2000 national title squad. The other was a 2004 team that feasted on a Big 12 that was in the process of hitting rock bottom (a very mediocre Colorado team won the North division) and was promptly exposed by USC in the Orange Bowl, 55-19.

The Big 12 is headed back in the right direction now. Besides Texas, the league's one other constant this decade, the Sooners will face several legitimate challenges, including potentially Nebraska or Missouri (whom OU faces at home Oct. 13) if they were to reach the conference title game. Can Sam Bradford really go unscathed for 13 straight games? Possibly, but not likely.

LSU: 40 percent. After watching the Tigers' all-out dominance of Virginia Tech in person last week, it's admittedly hard to envision much of anyone holding a candle to LSU during the regular season, but in this year's SEC, it would be naïve to assume even the ultra-talented Tigers are untouchable. They do catch a break in that their toughest remaining opponents on paper -- South Carolina, Florida, Auburn and Arkansas -- all come to Baton Rouge, but that's still a lot to go though, especially when you add road trips to Alabama and Kentucky and a possible SEC title game.

Now, all of that said, it's entirely conceivable that the Trojans could lose a game early and still rise back into contention. In fact, that's exactly what they did in '03, losing to Cal in late September only to make it all the way to No. 1 in the two major polls by the end of the year. In the same vein, LSU also beat a murderer's row of SEC opponents that season only to suffer its one loss in unexpected fashion, at home to an eventual 8-5, Ron Zook-led Florida team. And just as part of me doubts whether Bradford will continue to play well the entire season, I remember having the same exact thoughts about then-unproven Jason White early in that '03 season as well.

So maybe it is déjà vu all over again. Whatever happens, let's just hope LSU doesn't end up having to share another title. The sheer volume of angst that would emanate out of Louisiana would be enough to send the entire country into a depression.

Of course, if you believe the word on the street, Tigers fans (whom, incidentally, could not have been nicer hosts to the visiting media folk like myself last weekend) already have another nightmare scenario to fret about.

OKC-SLC
9/12/2007, 08:55 PM
I think that's about right. It's very tough to go undefeated with a rookie qb.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/12/2007, 09:11 PM
Why does the media hate us? :rolleyes:

Soonerus
9/12/2007, 09:13 PM
He Hate Me...

yermom
9/12/2007, 10:42 PM
ahem, we went through the regular season undefeated in 2003 as well...

with the way we're running the ball, this team reminds me a lot of 2003

in 2003 LSU didn't start out ranked this high though, did they? didn't Auburn start like #2 and get hosed by USC?

GottaHavePride
9/12/2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah. LSU was left out in 03 because the started out so low. We and USC were ranked very high through most of the season.

Octavian
9/12/2007, 11:01 PM

correct.

We've had 3 undefeated regular seasons under Bobby.

yermom
9/12/2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah. LSU was left out in 03 because the started out so low. We and USC were ranked very high through most of the season.

USC was the one left out ;)

too bad we didn't get to play 2-loss Michigan in the Rose Bowl for the MNC...

LSUdeek
9/13/2007, 12:21 AM

with the way we're running the ball, this team reminds me a lot of 2003

in 2003 LSU didn't start out ranked this high though, did they? didn't Auburn start like #2 and get hosed by USC?

Think we were ranked around 14ish. Yeah, AU was waxed 23-0 at home by USC.

MarylandSooner
9/13/2007, 04:27 AM
I do not think Sam has to be superman and have a perfect game every week for the sooners to be undefeated at seasons end. We have a much better team than last year so I think that if he just plays within himself and limits mistakes the rest of the team will pick up the slack and I can see us easily 13-0 and headed to the Big Easy.

Sooner in Tampa
9/13/2007, 05:52 AM
I actually think that if you compare the SUC schedule with LSU's, I give the edge to LSU. Every really good team that LSU plays is at home...of course the exception is the SEC championship game.

I also like our chances to go undefeated into the Big XII CCG IF we beat Sexat.

MiccoMacey
9/13/2007, 07:02 AM
LSU's defense is ungodly scary.

They have my vote so far.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/13/2007, 07:12 AM
LSU's defense is ungodly scary.

They have my vote so far.
Yes, they are fast, strong, and disastrous to any kind of offensive scheme...but if we cannot anoint Sam, then we cannot do the same to their defense. Consider the opposition. Mississippi State beat Tulane last week and went 3-9 last year. Virginia Tech "struggled early" against East Carolina 17-7. IMO, VT was one of the most overrated teams in the preseason and has an overrated defense and quarterback. Better than our opponents...but still.

Sooner in Tampa
9/13/2007, 07:19 AM
I will agree that VT is overrated...I think it is an emotional dealio that everyone wants that feel good story. We will see just how they compare to the teams we have played because they will play Miami later in the year.

Plus it is hard for me to give LSU props for defense...Pellini is just such a prick.

cheezyq
9/13/2007, 09:47 AM
...but in Bob Stoops' tenure, only two of his teams have made it through the regular season undefeated.

1. Technically, there were 3 undefeated seasons, as yermom mentioned, and
2. "ONLY"! Even at 2 undefeated regular seasons, the list of coaches accomplishing that feat is pretty short, with only Stoops, Tressel, Carrol and Coker (wow) having that distinction.

cheezyq
9/13/2007, 09:56 AM
I think that's about right. It's very tough to go undefeated with a rookie qb.

True, but he's also a redshirt freshman. He's light on game experience, but he does know OUr offense, and does have to play against OUr defense in practice. OUr schedule is not TOO tough this year, since most big games are at home, and by the time we face the north div winner in the B12 championship and go to a bowl, he will essentially be a redshirt sophomore.

Besides all that, I think the biggest thing is that we have a very good defense and running game. We won't have to rely on him to save us very often. I'm cautiously optimistic about this team.

GottaHavePride
9/13/2007, 10:09 AM
I like that Bradford is practicing against a defense better than he's likely to see all year, and one that probably knows what he's going to do before he does it.

Vic n Tulsa
9/13/2007, 11:07 AM
Why does the media hate us? :rolleyes:
Because you are the most arrogant fan base in college football is why you seem to get no love. At the university of oklahoma it's all about winning championships period, meaning every other school cares more about partying, tailgating, having a good time and if they happen to win, great but no big deal...right??:texan:

FlatheadSooner
9/13/2007, 11:19 AM
Because you are the most arrogant fan base in college football is why you seem to get no love. At the university of oklahoma it's all about winning championships period, meaning every other school cares more about partying, tailgating, having a good time and if they happen to win, great but no big deal...right??:texan:

Yeah, we got it that way.

What's your point?

;)

ruf/nekdad
9/13/2007, 11:24 AM
It was a rhetorical question. Go away.

Sooner in Tampa
9/13/2007, 11:26 AM
Because you are the most arrogant fan base in college football is why you seem to get no love. At the university of oklahoma it's all about winning championships period, meaning every other school cares more about partying, tailgating, having a good time and if they happen to win, great but no big deal...right??:texan:I beg to differ with you asshat...I think that there are few that are quite a bit worse...such as SUC, Sexat, ND, the osu, and maybe even the tide fans.

So **** off.

Redshirt
9/13/2007, 11:57 AM

your'e new to this whole college football fan website thing, aren't you?

StuIsTheMan
9/13/2007, 12:17 PM
**** off.

That's all you really had to say:D

Sooner in Tampa
9/13/2007, 01:14 PM
your'e new to this whole college football fan website thing, aren't you?HEH...he is probably new to this whole innerweb thingy :P

Vic n Tulsa
9/13/2007, 03:09 PM
I beg to differ with you asshat...I think that there are few that are quite a bit worse...such as SUC, Sexat, ND, the osu, and maybe even the tide fans.

So **** off.

C'mon, all those schools you mentioned are the same, including the mighty oklahoma sooners and their fan base!

My point being, they all play for championships on saturday, they surely don't do it for the money as in the NFL. Just admit that OU fans are as (not saying more but = to) as arragant as SUC, Sexat, ND, the osu, and maybe even the tide fans and I'm cool with it.

That is all.....now go kill Utah State on saturday and party like everyone else.:texan:

StuIsTheMan
9/13/2007, 03:17 PM
C'mon, all those schools you mentioned are the same, including the mighty oklahoma sooners and their fan base!

My point being, they all play for championships on saturday, they surely don't do it for the money as in the NFL. Just admit that OU fans are as (not saying more but = to) as arragant as SUC, Sexat, ND, the osu, and maybe even the tide fans and I'm cool with it.

you must be new...there is not, nor will ever be, ANY similarity between a Sooner fan and a Whorn, Suc, ND, Tide or even Tulsa golden shower fans...

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/9366/1339891910mqc4.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)
YOU MUST RESPECT OUR SUPERIORITIE!

soonermeteor
9/13/2007, 03:24 PM
It all comes down to :texan: .

We might have a scare, but if we beat Texas ill be feeling good until the big 12 champion. I think Texas A&M will put up a fight, pokie state may try too. Texas Tech in Lubbock might have been more of a problem but i think they are pretty down this year.

However, does the whole "we only win the big 12 in even years" vodo scare anyone? :eek:

tommieharris91
9/13/2007, 03:32 PM
I have no idea what Vic's point is.

StuIsTheMan
9/13/2007, 03:32 PM
However, does the whole "we only win the big 12 in even years" vodo scare anyone? :eek:

heh:confused:

I googled it but got nothin...

GottaHavePride
9/13/2007, 03:48 PM
I have no idea what Vic's point is.

He's saying that expecting excellence = arrogance.

It's not arrogance if you can back it up.

freshchris05
9/13/2007, 03:50 PM

Sarcasm is always lost on lower life-forms... :texan:

maybe we should get bigger smilies??

LSUdeek
9/14/2007, 12:34 PM
Plus it is hard for me to give LSU props for defense...Pellini is just such a prick.

There are a lot of pricks in CFB. Your coach and the coach at Alabama come to mind.

What do they have in common? Being defensive masterminds.

yermom
9/14/2007, 12:44 PM
heh:confused:

I googled it but got nothin...

from 1996 to 2004 the North won odd years and the South won even years, even requiring some upsets. since the Big 12 started OU has won in 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006, only losing the championship game in 2003

now in 2005 the South won (Texass) so, it seems to be broken now ;)

Stitch Face
9/14/2007, 12:50 PM

Basically, yeah.

The OU board of regents and GLK set out in the 1940s to create an athletic program that would attract the best players and coaches and ultimately give the state something to rally around after the hard times of the Dust Bowl. Boren revitalized that notion in the late 90s.

Thanks to that legacy, true Sooner fans, players, coaches, and alums know something few other schools do: winning is the best way to have a good time.

stoopified
9/14/2007, 01:20 PM
True, but he's also a redshirt freshman. He's light on game experience, but he does know OUr offense, and does have to play against OUr defense in practice. OUr schedule is not TOO tough this year, since most big games are at home, and by the time we face the north div winner in the B12 championship and go to a bowl, he will essentially be a redshirt sophomore.

Besides all that, I think the biggest thing is that we have a very good defense and running game. We won't have to rely on him to save us very often. I'm cautiously optimistic about this team.
I agree 100 % except THAT I AM VERY OPTIMISTIC ABOUT THIS TEAM.

Blues1
9/14/2007, 01:23 PM
Ok Here's the deal from a SOONER FAN and someone who has followed the Oklahoma Sooners for just over 54 years...

#1 Sam Bradford will get better every time he steps on the field.
#2 Same with our Defense and Offense and Special teams.
#3 Our Coaching Staff knows what needs to be done - to keep these young men Focused week by week.
#4 As long as Sam stays healthy look for him to be in New York City in December.
#5.If we lose any game this year it will be by some fluke (ie Oregon last year)
#6.If we lose the NC game this year - it will simply be because the other team was just better.
#7. When we do Win the "National Championship" this year - Bob Stoops will be named "Coach of the Year"

A&m will beat Texas --- :)

Still Rockin'