PDA

View Full Version : Question about Satellite Radio

lexsooner
9/12/2007, 08:15 PM
Does anyone out there have it, XM or Sirius? Anyone have some techie knowledge about it?

I have the old-fashioned stereo systems at my house - stereo receiver, cd player, speakers. The receivers are about 5-10 years old, neither of which are "XM ready" or compatible. I realize some newer stereo receivers are XM ready and you can hook up an adapter for XM quite easily.

In my case, what exactly do I need to hook up satellite radio to my stereo system? I know you have to buy the subscription to either XM or Sirius and have an antenna set up, but I need to know what equipment I need to hook in the satellite radio to my existing stereo system. Adapter, buy a new XM compatible receiver?

OUAndy1807
9/12/2007, 09:15 PM
I've had XM for 4 years. I have one of the skyfi (old) units that I use in my truck. to use it inside all you have to do is buy the dock (which I think is $50). It plugs into one of your audio in and the base has power and an antenna. easy stuff.

Whet
9/12/2007, 09:47 PM
I have a Sirius radio (Sportster 4 "plug and play") and for a time, had it connected to my sound system. The radio has a 5mm audio out (same size as the audio out on a computer that connects to your computer speakers). I purchased a stereo 5mm to RCA plug cable, which I plugged into one of my audio inputs of my system. It worked, but I ended up disconnecting it. The sound was fine, I just didn't like switching audio sources to listen and try to watch a video (it was connected to my B&K SS receiver)

I ended up connecting the Sirius radio to an old set of powered computer speakers. This worked for my purpose - listen to OU games, NASCAR, and channel 128. The radios come with either a vehicle base, or a residential base (you can move the radio from the car to the home) The only difference between the two types is the power suply - residential has a converter, vehicle is straight DC.

So, yes you can connect a Sirius radio to your stereo, as long as you have an unused RCA connection, such as, Auxillary, or other type of option.

You can checkout this site for Sirius stuff:
http://www.tss-radio.com/

bluedogok
9/12/2007, 11:09 PM
I have 2 Sirius home cradles connected to 2 different stereos with the standard stereo-mini to RCA cables. Most home kits come with the cable. I listen to the OU game and sync it with the DVR.

Fraggle145
9/13/2007, 03:02 AM
it appears all college football is heading to xm...

OU4LIFE
9/13/2007, 07:30 AM
pffft, for now OU games are on Sirius, but since they merged anyway I doubt it will make much difference.

MamaMia
9/13/2007, 07:34 AM
I have it in my new car, but I cant figure out how to use it. :O

SoonerBorn68
9/13/2007, 07:40 AM
I ended up connecting the Sirius radio to an old set of powered computer speakers.

That's what I did with my INNO--I plugged a set of computer surround sound speakers to the dock. It works really well out on the road.

I'm really happy with my INNO. I can record from XM or upload up to 2 gigs of MP3's to it. And, it's smaller than the palm of your hand.

SoonerTitan
9/13/2007, 09:01 AM
You can even use an FM station such as 88.5 let it pick up on that and play it through your stereo using no cables at all (except for your Sirius antenna and the power cord). The good news is both companies merged in February so I hope the station availability will as well.