PDA

View Full Version : UT banking on antagonism of OU rivalry

sooner n houston
9/12/2007, 06:59 PM
The Red River Rivalry between UT and OU burns deeper than an annual football game.

Some students at OU express their opposition to UT by putting Longhorn decals upside down on the backs of their cars. What some Sooners do not know is that UT receives money from the sale of each sticker.

"Several companies produce stickers that are officially licensed and pay royalties to our program," said Craig Westemeier, vice president for legal affairs at UT. "Last year, UT athletics received more than $12,000 in royalties, which includes the stickers being sold to OU."

Westemeier said the money came from Stockdale, a licensed distributor of Longhorn merchandise that sells to OU and other schools. He was not able to pinpoint exactly how much of the $12,000 came from OU purchasing Longhorn decals, but he said some money did because the decal is trademarked.

Blake Guiles, president of Stockdale, said the number of Longhorn decals sold to the OU bookstore was very small relative to everything else his company sells to OU.

"The numbers looked like they were for fans, not a bookstore," Guiles said. "We have over 450 different licenses with colleges and we take those licenses extremely seriously."

The University of Oklahoma Bookstore sells the white Longhorn medallions for $12, said store manager Rip Scott. The University Co-op sells the same decals for $3.99.

Full article:
http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2007/09/11/TopStories/Ut.Banking.On.Antagonism.Of.Ou.Rivalry-2960933.shtml

Jacie
9/12/2007, 07:04 PM
As I understand it, everytime a fan from a school other than saxet is shown on television doing the "down horns" sign, that school has to pay saxet a nickel.

soonerloyal
9/12/2007, 07:04 PM
That's why I got my 'whorn stickers from a tu fan who was throwing her stuff away after the 2000 whoopin'.

Their money, my defacement gain. :D

soonerboomer93
9/12/2007, 07:15 PM
unless we're playing them, why show the upside down horn?

drive around with an OU sticker and show what's more important...

sooner518
9/12/2007, 07:19 PM
while i think putting an upside down UT thing on your car is stupid, in all actuality, UT maybe makes $3,000 off of OU fans buying their shiite. BFD

Octavian
9/12/2007, 07:24 PM
old news

do you realize how much money comes into Texas every year? 12K is a little drop in a damn big bucket -- and of that 12K, I'm gonna bet a very small % of that 12K comes from anti-UT enthusiasts

so....that's sort of an irrelevant point. The article makes it seem like Joe Blow Soonerfan is unwittingly fueling the entire longhorn athletic budget

But whatever, there are better reasons than dollar signs not to put a Hook 'em on your car

Will
9/12/2007, 07:53 PM

drive around with an OU sticker and show what's more important...

I like where your heads at :O

EnidHighSooner
9/12/2007, 07:55 PM
hey, i cant post threads sooo

we can either get club or a suite, which is better.???

BoomerGirl34
9/12/2007, 08:22 PM
Who gets paid when the little Calvin guy in a Whorn helmet pees on the OU logo?

MyT Oklahoma
9/12/2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah.. yeah.. yeah.. as if I will ever feel guilty about having a Texas Longhorn sticker face down on the lid of my bathroom crapper. I don't. Some things in life are simply priceless.

OUinFLA
9/12/2007, 09:23 PM
Is there a royalty to be paid on the upside-down uterus that should be used instead of a whorn?
If so, who would we pay?

meoveryouxinfinity
9/12/2007, 09:28 PM
Texas fans and the school in general are just jealous of their hijacked signature/trademark hand sign.
You don't think about \m/ without thinking about Hook 'em

Scott D
9/12/2007, 09:30 PM
what's disgusting is that the OU Bookstore is grossly marking up those pieces of **** to make a profit.

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2007, 09:41 PM
I wonder if now they'll also get a royalty every time someone has a set of testicles hanging under their truck.

Scott D
9/12/2007, 09:44 PM
you make it sound like they'd recognize a set of testicles.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/12/2007, 09:44 PM
I wonder if now they'll also get a royalty every time someone has a set of testicles hanging under their truck.

Please.

They can't have a copyright or a trademark for something they never had.

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2007, 10:03 PM
LOL...Good points, but I was trying to see if I could join in on the tasteless comments of OU guy versus now nutless Texas fan without jumping into those massive threads.

PDTsooner
9/12/2007, 10:39 PM
I'd like to see them try to collect a royalty on my full size upside down longhorn back tattoo. Hell yea, take that texass!!!

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2007, 11:04 PM
Lucky for me I can make all my anti-horn crap at work and never pay a dime in royalties.

r5TPsooner
9/12/2007, 11:08 PM
I saw a BEAT TEXAS t-shirt last weekend on Campus Corner that I'd like to where on OU-UT gameday, but the thought of putting any money in UT's pockets made me pass on the shirt for the time being.

goingoneight
9/12/2007, 11:21 PM
I am an OU fan... not a University of "I Hate Texas" fan. I refuse to buy whoren stuff. Their colors are ugly, their merchandise is stupid and it reeks of aggy when you buy into it. It is NOT wrongful to turn it upside down when you see it in a store, though. :D

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2007, 11:59 PM
Is it ok to set it on fire?

CincySooner
9/13/2007, 07:58 AM

In a related matter... why start the OOOOO SSSSSSS UUUUUU SUCKS cheer in the second game of the season?

I hadn't been to a home game in 2 years and I was enjoying a beating of Miami when what do I hear in the 4th quarter? That stupid cheer coming from the north endzone. Please tell me that crap doesn't happen at every game.

I know that :stunned: sucks, but that goes without saying.

mxATVracer10
9/13/2007, 08:48 AM
Please tell me that crap doesn't happen at every game.

I know that :stunned: sucks, but that goes without saying.

Unfortunately, yes it does :texan:

fwsooner22
9/13/2007, 08:57 AM
Try having a conversation with a ut grad and see how quickly the subject turns to $$$$. It is really a statement about who they are and what they are about. I work with and around many of them. All are good people BUT obsessed with money and appearances. Sorry for the over-generalization but it is MY observation over 20 years of living south of the border.

Taxman71
9/13/2007, 09:00 AM
If you can't brag about championships and 50 point blowouts against your arch-rival, money would seem like a good topic to brag about.

Personally, I would draw attention to the whorn chicks who wear the daisy dukes to the Texas State Fair every year.....thank God for dark sunglasses.

the_ouskull
9/13/2007, 10:07 AM
Is there a royalty to be paid on the upside-down uterus that should be used instead of a whorn? If so, who would we pay?

It's God's water.

the_ouskull

Mazeppa
9/13/2007, 10:08 AM
Lucky for me I can make all my anti-horn crap at work and never pay a dime in royalties.

Me too! :)

SoonerRecon
9/13/2007, 11:18 AM
another whorn in jail for dope

SoonerRecon
9/13/2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2007/09/13/longhorn_safety.html

handcrafted
9/13/2007, 02:15 PM

http://www.trucknutz.com/

goingoneight
9/13/2007, 11:16 PM
Heh... "this is not OU or Miami, we're better than this!"

... oh really? Who's had two handfuls of jailbait players the last three seasons (a piece)?

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2007, 01:02 AM
You think it's bad now, wait until they start losing some games after the beatdown we give 'em. Those guys will most likely all be on a rampage at that point and have to grow a third hand to hold all of their jailbirds.