PDA

View Full Version : Bradford on front page of CBSsportsline...

colleyvillesooner
9/12/2007, 11:45 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10347874

Stoops works his QB alchemy once more

Bob Stoops was a hard-charging defensive back at Iowa. Biopsy his brain and you'd likely find tiny square-chinned, no-nonsense Nitschkes squirming around underneath the microscope.

So what is it about his quarterback magic? Stoops has won four Big 12 titles this decade with four different quarterbacks. One of the quarterbacks won a Heisman (Jason White, 2003). Another won a national championship (Josh Heupel, 2000).

Sam Bradford might be better than them all.

The redshirt freshman already is off to what is probably the best start for an OU quarterback in history. How do you argue with the nation's No. 1 passer (NCAA pass efficiency) who has eight touchdowns, no interceptions and an 83 percent completion percentage? In the middle of that was a streak of 22 completions in a row over two games, two short of the all-time record.

"Two games does not a season make," said former OU great Jack Mildren, "but this guy has played better than anybody thought he could. The numbers are so astronomical it's hilarious."

Heupel threw eight touchdowns in his first two games as a starter in 1999. But that was along with three interceptions for a team that finished 7-5. It wasn't until the next season that OU won the national championship and Heupel finished second in Heisman voting.

White gutted through two devastating knee injuries, but didn't start until midway through his second season. The other two OU quarterbacks to win conference titles this decade -- Nate Hybl and Paul Thompson -- will never be known as great passers or runners.

Bradford can do both. It all shows how incredibly resilient this program has been at the position. Heupel was an unknown, even after throwing for 30 touchdowns in 1999. White missed 2 1/2 seasons because of the knee surgeries but came back to win the Heisman, setting school career records for touchdowns and yards.

Thompson was an emergency starter last season after the Rhett Bomar scandal. The quarterback-turned-receiver was asked to revert back to quarterback when Bomar was kicked off the team. An 11-3 season resulted.

All of it came under three coordinators -- Mark Mangino (now at Kansas), Chuck Long (San Diego State) and, currently, Kevin Wilson. Heupel is the current quarterbacks coach, tutoring ...

Bradford, a highly regarded recruit from nearby Putnam City. A month ago, Bradford was supposedly locked in a quarterback battle with Joey Halzle and Keith Nichol. After throwing five touchdown passes against Miami, he should be showing up on Heisman lists.

"Oh yeah, we've got a quarterback," Oklahoma center Jon Cooper said after the game. "He's proven himself. He's doing a great job. They named Sam the starter (and) we were like, 'All right, let's roll.' "

Bradford has completed 40 of 48 passes in his first two games. Four of those incompletions, observers contend, were drops for a team that should now be the favorite to win the Big 12 and contend for a national championship.

"This is what I hoped for," Stoops said. "This is how we expected to play."

Bradford probably has a better body and better mechanics than any Stoops-era quarterback. He's got a rocket arm (unlike White) and can scramble (unlike Heupel and Hybl).

Receivers like Malcolm Kelly make Bradford's job easier. (US Presswire)
Receivers like Malcolm Kelly make Bradford's job easier. (US Presswire)
"One thing they are all competitors," said Mildren, OU's first wishbone quarterback in 1970. "It's fascinating to watch. They now throw the ball more in the first quarter than we did in (a game)."

It's beginning to look a lot like 2000 in Norman. That year Heupel combined with tall, rangy receivers and a tremendous defense to win the national championship.

Heupel was in his second season at OU in 2000. Bradford is new to the job. The defenses are similar, though this season's group is still emerging. That 2000 defense also featured All-Americans Roy Williams and Rocky Calmus. Defensive back Reggie Smith is this season's preseason Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.

Back then, Quentin Griffin got virtually every carry as tailback. Stoops has much more depth this season at the position. Receiver Curtis Fagan set a then-school record with seven touchdown catches in 2000. Six-foot-four Malcolm Kelly, a budding All-American, has five TD catches in two games.

"In 2000 we had a group of guys, half of them were told they weren't worthy, weren't talented enough," Stoops said. "Our (current) guys may have some of that attitude, but they have a real even keel."

Like 2000, a lot of opinions are changing about OU in a hurry.

"I'd say most people picked Texas to win the Big 12 South," Mildren said. "Right now if someone were to go out and ask the national guys I bet 90 percent would pick OU."

colleyvillesooner
9/12/2007, 11:52 AM
and this from his blog:

Thoughts and prayers to Jack Mildren, a source for this week's national notes lead. The old OU quarterback is in remission, fighting cancer near his sternum.

stoopified
9/12/2007, 11:54 AM
Great article.

r5TPsooner
9/12/2007, 11:57 AM
Awesome read on hump day. Thank you.

MextheBulldog
9/12/2007, 12:10 PM
"Two games does not a season make," said former OU great Jack Mildren,

Mr. Mildren sounding very Yoda-like...

jwlynn64
9/12/2007, 12:11 PM
I guess Mike Mike Leach didn't know that Mangino was the offensive coordinator . ;)

Widescreen
9/12/2007, 12:20 PM
I love the pub. I don't think this guy did quite enough homework though. I don't think Bradford's arm strength is any better than White's. Mike Leach was Stoops' 1st OC. I also don't remember our 2000 receivers being "tall and rangy". Other than Josh Norman, most of our guys were 6'0" or less.

Anyway, it's good to see us getting some recognition for something other than Boise and Bomar.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/12/2007, 12:21 PM
nm

SoonerBOI
9/12/2007, 08:07 PM
great post.

DenverSooner751
9/12/2007, 08:14 PM
I guess Mike Mike Leach didn't know that Mangino was the offensive coordinator . ;)

I believe the context of the statement was intended in regard to the 4 QB's and 4 big 12 titles. Mike Leach was not on the staff that won the NC in 2000, the year they won the first of the aforementioned big 12 titles.

soonerboomer93
9/12/2007, 08:35 PM

I guess Mangino didn't know Mike Leach was still our OC in 2000...

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2007, 10:29 PM
Didn't Mangino eat Leach?

AzianSooner
9/13/2007, 12:02 AM
How come texas Colt 45 McCoy is not in the Heisman talk anymore?

Crucifax Autumn
9/13/2007, 12:04 AM
Because he got caught trying to milk Bevo

Sooner_Havok
9/13/2007, 12:12 AM
Because he got caught trying to milk Bevo
http://files.splinder.com/f048979024dcd6589027a6c8e225bd62.jpeg

?????:confused: