PDA

View Full Version : Auto Maintenance ?

mdklatt
9/12/2007, 09:53 AM
My Honda Civic owner's manual says nothing about how often the steering fluid is supposed to be changed. Is that strictly an on-condition item or what?

yermom
9/12/2007, 09:56 AM
i've never heard of it being changed, just checked and leveled off, but i'm no expert

but i would think that unless there was some other problem, you would just add more

SoonerBorn68
9/12/2007, 09:58 AM
That's a closed system. Unless the fluid is lost through leaks or get hot & discolored it shouldn't have to be changed.

However, we use to sell a P/S service at the dealership as "preventative maintenance".

mdklatt
9/12/2007, 10:01 AM
That's a closed system. Unless the fluid is lost through leaks or get hot & discolored it shouldn't have to be changed.

How is that different than the transmission fluid (which does need to be changed)? I guess the transmission fluid has to endure a lot of heat.

SoonerBorn68
9/12/2007, 10:07 AM
That and there are fiber bands in a transmission that can be damaged from burned fluid.

The power steering system isn't quite as delicate.

mdklatt
9/12/2007, 10:11 AM
The power steering system isn't quite as delicate.

So when the service department "recommends" that I get the steering fluid flushed I can tell them to pound sand?

SoonerBorn68
9/12/2007, 10:14 AM
yep

StoopTroup
9/12/2007, 12:18 PM
All fluid is subject to contamination.

You can simply buy a fliud pump for about 5-8 dollars and extract some of the fluid and then refill it some fresh clean fluid if your worried.

Brake Fluid is the one to be careful about. Never use an opened or old container of Brake Fluid. Just go get a new bottle and once your finished filling the masster cylinder...throw out the rest of it so it doesn't mistakingly get used later. Water or condensation in brake fluid is very very bad.

olevetonahill
9/12/2007, 06:47 PM
yep
What he said
The dealer is trying to hose ya .
Hell Ive had old system that leah and takin a mixture of Used Motor oil and Brake fluid , to seal em
:D