PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Kelly for Heisman!

oupride
9/11/2007, 04:25 PM
Its UNTHINKABLE he is not on the list! I attended the game with my son on Saturday and he said "Dad, he is the best receiver I have ever seen." I KNOW he is the best receiver I have ever seen at OU. Barring injury his stats this year will be INSANE and he will eclipse Clayton's records. This thread is long overdue.

EnidHighSooner
9/11/2007, 04:26 PM
Kelly really should be on there....

colleyvillesooner
9/11/2007, 04:28 PM
He'd have to keep this pace up through Texas to get a mention...

After his 5th game in 2003, Larry Fitzgerald had 37 catches, 662 yds and 11 TD's.

85sooners
9/11/2007, 04:28 PM
:cool:

Soonermagik
9/11/2007, 04:33 PM
He should win it, but it is doubtful. If he starts shattering records and can get ESPN to make his case he might have a chance. When ESPN falls in love with a player they obsess.

Aries
9/11/2007, 07:02 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93510

Scroll down to where I said....

"I'm tellin' ya... Malcolm Kelly!"

swardboy
9/11/2007, 07:04 PM
We win....he's in.

texashater#1
9/11/2007, 07:17 PM
i know this has nothing to do with the thread but i have to say it. i created a name on the osu fan site and the big babies banned me from it. i got a laugh out of it. what a bunch of whiners

meoveryouxinfinity
9/12/2007, 07:46 AM
Sam is on the fake Heisman ballot created by ESPN....err...."ESPN Experts Poll"
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/heisman07/index

SoonerPriv
9/12/2007, 08:19 AM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=712618

Dr. Jelly Finger
9/12/2007, 09:21 AM
Who was the last receiver to win the Heisman? The Rocket?

Almost impossible to win unless you are a qb or a rb. I believe that Kelly is as close to Calvin Johnson as anyone, but Troy Smith got the nod last year over Calvin in NYC.

I am very, very, very happy that Kelly is a Sooner.

Here's to a record setting and injury free 2007 before he goes to make his scratch at the next level.

zeke
9/12/2007, 09:32 AM
I'm all about him being in the race, however if he does get in it I would hate to see it get sort of like when AD was in the running. Constant hand it to AD & see where he can go. Defenses loaded up on him and made our offense easier to predict.

Nothing negative mind you, but just saying.

yermom
9/12/2007, 09:35 AM
i'll settle for the Biletnikoff ;)

texashater#1
9/12/2007, 10:15 AM
Who was the last receiver to win the Heisman? The Rocket?

Almost impossible to win unless you are a qb or a rb. I believe that Kelly is as close to Calvin Johnson as anyone, but Troy Smith got the nod last year over Calvin in NYC.

I am very, very, very happy that Kelly is a Sooner.

Here's to a record setting and injury free 2007 before he goes to make his scratch at the next level.
actually charles woodson played a little wide out, but i think the last true wide out was Rocket

Desert Sapper
9/12/2007, 10:41 AM
Not to nitpick, but Rocket never won the Heisman. He lost to Ty Detmer in 1990. Tim Brown did win for ND in 1988. The last WR to win was Desmond Howard from Meeechigan in 1991, but he won mostly for his return skills. Larry Fitzgerald was the last serious contender at WR. He lost to our own beloved JW in 2003.

Larry finished that season with 87 catches for 1595 yards and 22 TDs.

Desert Sapper
9/12/2007, 10:45 AM
If anybody can win at WR (not KR or slash), I think #4 is the man to do it.

My Opinion Matters
9/12/2007, 01:30 PM
Macolm's great...probably the best overall talent on the team. With that said, he's probably our 3rd best Heisman candidate. With all the weapons on offense he probably won't catch more than 60 passes this year. That's not good enough to even get a sniff at the Heisman.

Desert Sapper
9/12/2007, 01:59 PM
Macolm's great...probably the best overall talent on the team. With that said, he's probably our 3rd best Heisman candidate. With all the weapons on offense he probably won't catch more than 60 passes this year. That's not good enough to even get a sniff at the Heisman.

Not unless he averages 25 ypc and has somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 TDs (both of which are possible). He currently is averaging 27.5 ypc and has 5 TDs in 2 games. I think he'll end up averaging more than 4 catches a game. The important thing to his hype is that he perform well in the big national games. The Hypesman voters only vote what they see and stats. I'll be happy if he wins the Biletnikoff.

wdupyall
9/12/2007, 02:22 PM
if a WR was going to win a Heisman, it would have been Calvin Johnson. If he had another QB throwing to him other than Reggie Ball, Johnson would have added another couple hundred yards and a few more TD's to his resume.

Malcolm Kelly is the best WR in college right now, he might get to NYC along with Sam Bradford if we keep winning and putting up good stats. I dont think OU will have a RB there, too much of the carries split amongst them.

RedstickSooner
9/12/2007, 02:27 PM
I'm kinda torn on this issue: Whether to promote OUr players for the Heisman.

Pros:

1) They deserve it. If they're that good, they deserve to win -- and if promotion helps 'em win, then so be it.

2) Elite players want to win things like the Heisman, and seeing us promoting our players for the award shows perspective players that we'll support them in their attempt.

3) Bringing home Heisman hardware makes the program look good.

Cons:

1) The Heisman shouldn't be about hype. The best player should be self-evident to the voters.

2) (Related to #2 above) I don't know that I *want* the kind of player that would *want* us to be his hype machine. I want a player that wants to achieve *team* glory -- like conference and national championships.

3) Pimping the program to promote a player makes the program look cheesy. Truly elite programs do their self-promotion on the playing field.

So... Like I said, I have mixed feelings. But guess in the end I'm against promoting any of our players for the award. Doesn't mean I don't think Kelly deserves or should be considered for it -- just means I don't want us to put up any billboards of him in Times Square ;)

texashater#1
9/13/2007, 10:46 AM
Not to nitpick, but Rocket never won the Heisman. He lost to Ty Detmer in 1990. Tim Brown did win for ND in 1988. The last WR to win was Desmond Howard from Meeechigan in 1991, but he won mostly for his return skills. Larry Fitzgerald was the last serious contender at WR. He lost to our own beloved JW in 2003.

Larry finished that season with 87 catches for 1595 yards and 22 TDs.

my bad i forgot that rocket got beat out, fitzgerald was the last serious contender but he wasnt really that great of a football player. those numbers are retarded good but to me he just wasnt as good a football player as MK

Desert Sapper
9/13/2007, 06:08 PM
if a WR was going to win a Heisman, it would have been Calvin Johnson. If he had another QB throwing to him other than Reggie Ball, Johnson would have added another couple hundred yards and a few more TD's to his resume.

Agree.

At the same time, I see MK being as good as Calvin. He's not as big or as fast, but he has those same soft hands and is big and fast enough. With Sam slinging the rock, he has a good chance to end the year with better numbers than Johnson did last year. Big games in the national TV games will make MK a household name.

FlatheadSooner
9/13/2007, 06:30 PM
We need LASooner to make a promo video for Kelly!