PDA

View Full Version : We've Lost a good Sooner -please take a sec to read

OklaUalum
9/11/2007, 11:14 AM
I got a call last night about the passing of Bob Andrews.

Ever hear of Andrew's Park in Norman? It's named after his father.

And who is Bob Andrews?

They recognized Mr. Andrews at half time a few years ago as a long time season ticket holder/fan, and Bob was a long time Sooner fan and complete class act.

And, seriously, I count it as an absolute blessing in my life, not only to have sat right next to him in Section 8 for the last 12 years, but just to have also known him as well.

When people I know introduce me to others, and say "he's a big OU fan." I'll say "yeah...But I'm nothin' compared to the guy next to me.." And, then I'll enter into some of the discussion I'm presenting here today.

Bob has been attending OU games since the 30's (I'm pretty sure he told me since 1938). He's been there for ALL of the National Championships. He was there for the 47 game winning streak. There when Bud was hired and started the monster that IS Oklahoma football. There through thick and thin of Gomer and John Blake, Barry and Bob Stoops. I've not missed an OU game since college, nearly 20 years ago, but I can't help to think of the number of games Mr. Andrews attended. I beleive the only time he'd missed any games was during his service in WW II.

I grew up in a household that wasn't sports crazy. I was an Air Force brat who moved all over the place, but I always followed OU because everywhere I went people recognized OU. They'd ask me growing up,"do you know Billy Simms?!" In college, I was over on the student section being ...well a student.

But, it wasn't until I finished college, got real tickets, and sat next to Bob that I became a real FAN.

Bob taught me not only about football, but how to be a fan. A representative of OU, at home as well as away. He taught me about football. He taught me about OU history, too. I still tell people his account of the day the 47 game streak was broken!

I'd tell people when they'd comment to me about being an OU fan, I'd say, " you ought to meet the guy next to me..."

I went and visited Bob a few times between this season and last while he was convalescing. One of my former classmates would come to the games with Bob. So, it was always good to see Bob. And when he didn't make the first game this year, I knew Bob's days of coming to OU games, and his streak, were done. And, I'm still sad about it. I'm even more saddened to have to be saying goodbye to someone I consider a Sooner Legend.

Tailgating. The Ruf-Nex before the game. The Pride doing the roll out. Bob, you were part of my game day experience. I'd look up the row going to the seats and you were there to waive at and say "Hi, Mr. Andrews!" My kids (who both have been going to OU games since they were 2), grew up with OU football, and sitting next to Mr. Andrews.

Good bye Bob. You were an absolute class act.

When I get to heaven with you- I'll have a great seat for the OU games.

And the first person I'm going to look up to sit next to for 'em is going to be you.

God Bless you.

(I hope we can keep this post up for a few days)

** I had to make another edit, sorry. **

I initially was off on when OU honored Bob at Half time, so I corrected my post. He was honored in 2003. There is a really good write up in the Norman Transcript today about Bob. (no link sorry).

I read in the Norman Transcript yesterday that Bob was a Colnel in the Army.

colleyvillesooner
9/11/2007, 11:31 AM
:(

OKC-SLC
9/11/2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for posting.

SoonerBOI
9/11/2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks for posting.

OUDoc
9/11/2007, 12:01 PM
:(
I hate losing good people like that.

Landthief 1972
9/11/2007, 01:19 PM
Was he recognized at the UAB game last year? It seems like I recall that happening then.

What a great fan. Thanks for sharing. R.I.P., Bob.

oupride
9/11/2007, 01:22 PM
Thank your for sharing this. I feel blessed just reading it. Thank you for your time and thoughtful post.

r5TPsooner
9/11/2007, 01:26 PM
RIP loyal Sooner.

Boomer.....
9/11/2007, 01:54 PM
Great post.

TUSooner
9/11/2007, 02:11 PM
Nice post.

NormanPride
9/11/2007, 02:36 PM
Man, I pray every day I have a life as full and fulfilling as that. God bless!

boomersooner28
9/11/2007, 02:37 PM
*looking up to the heavens* Boomer.

soonerfaninaddison
9/11/2007, 02:48 PM
rip

soonerloyal
9/11/2007, 03:20 PM
Thank you for sharing your heart, and the blessing he was to you - and to the entire Sooner Nation.

Godspeed, God bless and BOOMER SOONER, Mr. Andrews.

*head bowed and OU hat off*

85Sooner
9/11/2007, 03:26 PM
pASS A STORY ON NOW AND THEN WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE. He is probably going over old times with Bud as we speak.:)

PLaw
9/11/2007, 03:56 PM
Our sympahty and prayers to the Andrew's family. Mr. Andrews was a contemporary of my father who also taught me well how to behave as a SOONER - to win with class and graciousness and in defeat, stoke the fire to do better next time out.

BOOMER SOONER Mr. Andrews
PLAW

OklahomaRed
9/11/2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks for posting. RIP and Boomer-Sooner. :(

FirstandGoal
9/11/2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks so much for posting that story. The Sooner Nation lost a great fan.

Cajun
9/11/2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks for posting.

RIP

olevetonahill
9/11/2007, 07:16 PM
Well said and I add my thanks for posting
RIP

BigDeezy
9/11/2007, 08:10 PM
A nice tribute. Thanks for sharing.

BudSooner
9/11/2007, 08:41 PM
Agreed, great post.

RIP Mr Andrews.

goingoneight
9/11/2007, 10:45 PM
On a positive note... did anyone else see the two 100-year old Sooner fans recognized last Saturday? OUr section was full of Miami fans (among many Sooners, of course) and we gave them a roaring cheer when they were recognized.

R.I.P., Mr. Andrews. :(

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2007, 01:18 AM
A hearty hail to a legendary fan. I'm sure he'll be smiling down at his boys this season. I hope they can make him proud.

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2007, 10:56 AM
Gotta say I got a little teary eyed reading that. Great post and lets hope all Sooner fans can strive to be like Mr. Andrews.

BoogercountySooner
9/12/2007, 01:28 PM
Boomer Sooner Mr. Andrews!! Tell Dad hi!

stoopified
9/12/2007, 01:30 PM
Wow

panhandlesooner
9/12/2007, 01:37 PM
RIP Mr. Andrews!!

mojorisen2014
9/12/2007, 02:11 PM
sad deal

MyT Oklahoma
9/12/2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks for sharing. Rest in Peace.

StoopTroup
9/12/2007, 09:10 PM
Sooner Born...Sooner Bred...when I die...I'll be Sooner Dead!

RIP

God Bless the Family

OU-MAN
9/13/2007, 09:22 PM
I grew up in Norman with Bobby Andrews. He was a great Sooner and friend.

King Crimson
9/13/2007, 10:38 PM
I spent a lot of time at Andrews Park as a kid. Never knew who it was named for. RIP Mister Andrews. Nice post.

fwsooner22
9/14/2007, 08:01 AM
Wow.....thanks for that.........that was moving!!!! God bless the Andrews family and God Bless You for sharing that! Boomer Sooner Forever!

crawfish
9/14/2007, 08:32 AM
I played in Andrews park often as a child, and my kids played there a few times as well. I never knew who it was named for...

Great story! Here's to the remembrance of a great Sooner.