PDA

View Full Version : If Nebraska Beats Southern Cal

MichiganSooner
9/11/2007, 07:49 AM
First thought is that a win by Nebraska over USC is great for OU as we should move up to #2 or #1 in the rankings. And obviously, a Big 12 team beating SC will help us in the BCS rankings after we run the table and win the Big 12 Championship.

But what about the Cornhuskers ranking. If they beat the Trojans in Lincoln, should they be ranked #1 or ahead of us?

Jewstin
9/11/2007, 07:55 AM
I don't think USC is a #1 team this year (hell, I have them dropping at least 2) ... it's a preseason ranking, nothing more. If Nebraska beats them at home, I'd say it solidifies them as a top 10/12'ish squad.

That being said, I really don't think Nebraska will be able to hang, as much as I'd love to see them win. :\

sanantoniosooner
9/11/2007, 08:04 AM
But what about the Cornhuskers ranking. If they beat the Trojans in Lincoln, should they be ranked #1 or ahead of us?
no

CtheB
9/11/2007, 08:07 AM
My fear is that USC is going to beat Nebraska into itty bitty pieces.

oupride
9/11/2007, 08:35 AM
Unfortunately Nebraska has no chance.

OKC-SLC
9/11/2007, 08:39 AM
I think NU is going to lose by 17 or so.

EstablishedSooner1967
9/11/2007, 08:42 AM
if NU beat USC..... that would make my weekend! But, I just dont see it happening unless they play in Dec when the cold sets in.....

KantoSooner
9/11/2007, 08:44 AM
My hope is that Nebs wins, and wins big.

My brain tells me they will be crushed underfoot.

On Big Red, On......fill the breech with our B12 dead.......

TexasLidig8r
9/11/2007, 08:45 AM
Nebraska is going to get mudholed by USC. But in the unlikely event SC did lose.. then on Oct 6 we would have...

#1 ranked LSU vs. #3/4 ranked Florida and...

#2 ranked OU vs. #4/5 ranked Texas.

Now THAT is some college football.

kevpks
9/11/2007, 08:59 AM
First thought is that a win by Nebraska over USC is great for OU as we should move up to #2 or #1 in the rankings. And obviously, a Big 12 team beating SC will help us in the BCS rankings after we run the table and win the Big 12 Championship.

That would be too big of a jump for the Huskers, but they definetely would be in the top ten. Then maybe we could thank them twice: once for beating USC and a second time for giving us a quality opponent in San Antonio if they can win the north. I would rather play them because Colorado's fanbase is just pathetic. Tailgaiting with them was lame in KC in '04.

IGotNoTiming
9/11/2007, 09:02 AM
Appalachian State has no chance against Michigan....

OUDoc
9/11/2007, 09:09 AM
Nebraska will get corn-holed by the Trojans.

I hope I'm wrong.

badger
9/11/2007, 09:12 AM
This is just friendly rivals HELPING each other.

Lest we forget:

2001: Nebbish ruins our title run, stupid bug eaters.
Rose Bowl 2002: Last game of the season, Nebbish loses to Miami handily, and loses the title.

2004: We beat Nebbish at home, while pelting Callahan and Co. with oranges. All they get is a revenge field goal. Whine, whine.
Orange Bowl 2005: Last game of the season, USC... arg. Stupid condoms.

THIS YEAR, MY PREDICTION:

2007: In an effort to make things run full circle and all, OU revenges Nebbish's disappointing loss to Miami at the 2002 Rose Bowl. Remember, it wasn't OU that ruined the Rose Bowl, it was NEBRASKA that did it first! We just took the brunt of the blame because Iowa was at the Orange that year.

In an added effort, Nebbish revenges USC's arrogance and free-house cheating by handily crushing the Trojan spirit at their stadium. Remember, it wasn't OU that screwed up Auburn's dream season and people's championship, it was USC that took the title and tried to claim back-to-back championships!

We did our part, you bright red "N is for Nowledge" west coast offensers. Now, your turn!!!

CtheB
9/11/2007, 09:24 AM
Appalachian State has no chance against Michigan....

I know USC, and Michigan, sir, is no USC. :)

illinisooner
9/11/2007, 09:30 AM
If Bill Callahan is coaching Nebraska, they will not beat USC. The Huskers would have a better chance with Tommy Callahan as their coach. That being said, I think Nebraska will hang around for 3 quarters and the Trojans will put them away in the 4th. Something like 31-21 USC, I hope I'm wrong though.

mdklatt
9/11/2007, 09:35 AM
People still care about the AP rankings? :confused:

badger
9/11/2007, 09:48 AM
well if YOU were the marketing and pr department, would you OU #3 or #5 right now, hmmm? ;)

OUinFLA
9/11/2007, 09:48 AM

only when they rank us higher than the coaches poll does.

mdklatt
9/11/2007, 09:52 AM
well if YOU were the marketing and pr department, would you OU #3 or #5 right now, hmmm? ;)

If I was the PR or marketing department I'd find some random poll on somebody's blog that has us #1. That's got as much meaning as the AP poll.

It sucks that that the coaches' poll is what counts--since they obviously don't pay much attention to what's going on--but that's what we've got.

yermom
9/11/2007, 09:53 AM
you're crazy if you think we wouldn't claim a MNC if we ended up #1 in the AP and #3 in the BCS and left out of the championship game

but yeah, i think USC probably wins by 3 TDs at least

i hope i'm wrong

mdklatt
9/11/2007, 09:57 AM
you're crazy if you think we wouldn't claim a MNC if we ended up #1 in the AP and #3 in the BCS and left out of the championship game

I wouldn't want any part of such foolishness. For all of its flaws, the BCS is what we have now.

yermom
9/11/2007, 10:10 AM
the only real difference now is that it forces the top teams to play each other

as for the rankings, they haven't really changed much, especially with the new rules in the last few years.

in the above scenario, the AP title would go on the stadium

Desert Sapper
9/11/2007, 10:34 AM
Sure would be nice if suc played nebbish in Lincoln like they played the Idaho Vandals. I don't think they will, though. The condoms by two TDs at least.

TUSooner
9/11/2007, 10:36 AM
Stop this nonsense!
Nebraska will not beat USC, so just fuhggeddaboudit now! :rolleyes:

TopDawg
9/11/2007, 10:38 AM
If I was the PR or marketing department I'd find some random poll on somebody's blog that has us #1. That's got as much meaning as the AP poll.

You wouldn't be in the PR or marketing department for long.

tigepilot
9/11/2007, 10:48 AM
If Nebraska Beats Southern Cal

If the moon was made of cheese

Ash
9/11/2007, 10:49 AM
This is the Failure-in-the-NFL bowl.

Dan Thompson
9/11/2007, 01:31 PM
USC will win over Nebraska, but there time will come at Oregon, or Cal @home or UCLA @ home.

Landthief 1972
9/11/2007, 01:35 PM
If Nebraska wins, I will look to the sky to see the seven seals being broken as the dead rise from the grave.

r5TPsooner
9/11/2007, 01:35 PM
If NU beats Nebraska this weekend then I will bring a keg of beer to the next SF.com tailgate in Norman.

sanantoniosooner
9/11/2007, 01:39 PM
If NU beats Nebraska this weekend then I will bring a keg of beer to the next SF.com tailgate in Norman.
As long as Cally is the coach, you can count on NU beating Nebraska

SoonerBBall
9/11/2007, 02:02 PM
You wouldn't be in the PR or marketing department for long.

I think you missed the point of his post.

Entirely.

Sooner J
9/11/2007, 02:17 PM
I know USC, and Michigan, sir, is no USC. :)

Forget that, Nebraska is no Appalachian State

TUSooner
9/11/2007, 02:21 PM
USC will win over Nebraska, but there time will come at Oregon, or Cal @home or UCLA @ home.
Where will their time come? Their? Here? Hear?

First it's "loosing streaks" then it's "there time".

You're doing it on purpose, aren't you?

I got nuthin, of course. :(

AZSOONER
9/11/2007, 02:23 PM

App st. didn't move to # 4 for beating michigan, and NU won't move to #1 for beating suc

soonergirlNeugene
9/11/2007, 03:12 PM
As long as Cally is the coach, you can count on NU beating Nebraska

:D

OUTrumpet
9/11/2007, 04:20 PM
Eh, USC lost at UCLA last year. And at Oregon State. (What kind of Aggy is that?)

I think Nebraska is as good or better than either of those teams. If they can make a few plays early, they have a chance.

If they get down by 10, I think it's over though.

hink4769
9/11/2007, 05:00 PM
last time USC was on the road against a major conference opponent they whipped Arkansas (who went to the SEC championship) 50-14 in fayetteville. i think they'll put up a similar score on saturday.

TopDawg
9/11/2007, 05:28 PM
I think you missed the point of his post.

Entirely.

Maybe you missed the point of mine.

Totally.

And completely.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/11/2007, 06:13 PM
suc will moidalize the bugeaters...really bad. But suc will fall at least once to a Pac 10 member. Too many tough road games.

soonersn2007
9/11/2007, 06:37 PM
I don't think it's a complete longshot, much stranger stuff has happened. Wouldn't we all be happy if they did?

ClintonSooner
9/11/2007, 06:44 PM
In!

9/11/2007, 06:56 PM
I don't think it's a complete longshot, much stranger stuff has happened. Wouldn't we all be happy if they did?I would prefer that suc lose to a couple other teams rather than have nebbish do it. A nebbish victory could effect our recruiting.

9/11/2007, 06:57 PM
I don't think it's a complete longshot, much stranger stuff has happened. Wouldn't we all be happy if they did?Woops, double post.

MiccoMacey
9/11/2007, 07:13 PM
I'll say it...I think Nebraska can hang with USC.

I'm not as sold on USC as I was in June. And I think Nebraska is better than I originally thought.

My main concern about this game is that USC had a week off to prepare for this game.

TUSooner
9/11/2007, 07:17 PM
I don't think it's a complete longshot, much stranger stuff has happened. Wouldn't we all be happy if they did?
I'd be happy, and the effect of recruiting would be slim to none.

yermom
9/11/2007, 07:26 PM
I'll say it...I think Nebraska can hang with USC.

I'm not as sold on USC as I was in June. And I think Nebraska is better than I originally thought.

My main concern about this game is that USC had a week off to prepare for this game.

my gut says that USuCk kills the Huskers, but we really don't know much from them only playing Idaho

SoonerBBall
9/11/2007, 08:57 PM
Maybe you missed the point of mine.

Totally.

And completely.

No, you basically said that the AP Poll actually has some validity, but seeing as the BCS crowns the champion and the AP Poll isn't part of the BCS, it is functionally irrelevant.

Nice try, though. I think you get points for so very cleverly imitating my posting style.

yermom
9/11/2007, 09:05 PM
so the People's National Championship is worth the same as the AP?

the AP has been around since way before the BCS and it will probably be around after the BCS is gone

bluesmagoo
9/11/2007, 09:07 PM
Nebraska is not going to beat USC. Wish they would. But no.

Soonerus
9/11/2007, 09:32 PM
USC 33, NU 10...

soonergirlNeugene
9/11/2007, 09:34 PM
USC gets beat when the media is falling all over itself to throw rose petals at their feet. They get beat when they are satisfied with all the hype they are getting and forget that they have to actually play the teams that they are predicted to roll over by at least 50 points.

USC wins when people question whether they are being overhyped or whenever another team is predicted to have a realistic shot at beating them. If on top of all the above, USC is given extra time to prepare for that team, call the coroners.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to death to see Nebraska knock them off, but they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of actually pulling it off.

TopDawg
9/11/2007, 09:50 PM
No, you basically said that the AP Poll actually has some validity, but seeing as the BCS crowns the champion and the AP Poll isn't part of the BCS, it is functionally irrelevant.

Actually I wasn't talking about validity...I was talking about "meaning" which is what mdklatt referred to. Yes, functionally the AP poll has as much weight in the crowning of the BCS champion as Joe Blogger does.* But meaning? If Jenny Carlson and the AP poll both have us #1 at the end of the season, which do you think means more? That is what I was referring to.

*Of course, that may not be true as it could be argued that the AP poll has a more significant impact on how the "coaches" vote than any one blogger does...thus giving is some sort of indirect relevance in the BCS picture. But I digress.

SoonerBBall
9/11/2007, 09:51 PM
so the People's National Championship is worth the same as the AP?

the AP has been around since way before the BCS and it will probably be around after the BCS is gone

Yes, the People's National Championship is worth exactly as much as the AP Championship because each member conference of the BCS agreed to recognize the national champion determined by the BCS Championship Game. That makes the BCS the way a national champion is determined no matter who likes it or not. Also, why is the AP so great? Are AP sports writers somehow above politics and petty oneupmanship? Just because a poll has been around for a while doesn't mean it should be given some sort of mythical stature. Regardless of how flawed it is, the BCS is a far superior way for determining a national champion than relying on a bunch of sports writers.

Scott D
9/11/2007, 09:52 PM
This argument is pointless. The AP rendered themselves null and void when they actually decided to allow I-AA teams to be ranked in the I-A poll, when there was already a separate poll for I-AA teams.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/11/2007, 11:06 PM
Maybe if Nebraska administrators can bar the USC band from the premises the Huskers' chances will increase greatly. Those musicians in the funny hats and the sunglasses that play "Fight On" about 700 times during the course of an average game would be fish out of water in Lincoln. Come to think of it, they were fish out of water last year in Fayetteville, and in Auburn a few years before that.

But, USC band or no USC band, the Huskers really don't stand a chance. Although I hope I'm wrong.

SoonerKnight
9/12/2007, 01:00 AM
Nebraska won't beat SUC U!!! If they can keep it close then they wil knock them down a few slots in the polls IMHO. Nebraska defense is pretty good but Keller has thrown too many interceptions on weak teams think what SUC U would do with that. They didn't seem so great against Idaho but they played a lot of Freshmen in that game. They took that team lightly but they still won. Their fans booed them at the half according to one story I read. I think Nebraska can hang for the half which half I can't say but I think they can keep this close and if they do that OU may benefit. I think SUC U will lose at least one game this year. I see Stoops beating the snot out of Saxet (almost has to) on Oct. 6th. If we beat up on Saxet like we did Miami then we will really get noticed. We have to show we can do the same to Saxet that LSU did the VT then we will definately know where this team is headed.

Soonerus
9/12/2007, 01:03 AM
Nebraska won't beat SUC U!!! If they can kep it close then they wil knock them down a few slots in the polls IMHO. Nebraska defense is pretty good but Keller has thrown too many interceptions on weak teams think what SUC U would do with that. They didn't seem so great against Idaho but they played a lot of Freshmen in that game. They took that team lightly but they still won. Their fans booed them at the half according to one story I read.

Who really cares about the details of a USC game.....

douxpaysan
9/12/2007, 01:05 AM
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/a/a2/Flying_Pig.jpg/250px-Flying_Pig.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2007, 01:06 AM
Difference is, perhaps this time their fans will boo them at the end of the game!

*Crosses Fingers*

Crucifax Autumn
9/12/2007, 01:07 AM
Holy ****! That pig has Mack Brown's eyes! Has MAck had his way with Mangino?????