PDA

View Full Version : How was your experience with UM fans?

goingoneight
9/11/2007, 12:23 AM
... gotta be honest... those people were really cool around me. They complimented Sammy and Kelly constantly and praised OUr play-calling. Many stuck around and started chanting "Boomer Sooner" when it was out of reach. :D I was right in the thick or orange and green haven, too.

Traveling fans I guess are better fans than home fans generally speaking in terms of how they represent themselves. I almost felt sorry for them... you know, traveling across the country in herds to see their team get manhandled. Reminded me of how my dad and his friends felt when they got back from TGWWDNSO. Good, true fans was my experience. Much to my surprise after reading about "thugs, *******s and arrogance." Randy Shannon was first class, too. He complimented us beyond our worth considering it was only game 2 and how bad his team looked. He made some gutsy calls that had they better athletes and time in the system, could have been dangerous. Like the deep ball on the opening snap of the game and the fake FG.

Great experience for me and I'm proud that one day I'll be able to say I was there watching a game with my dear ole dad. Needless to say, he felt a lot better about beating them big than did I as he remembers clearly the 80's when I was just a wee one. I told him he better survive to see us whip USC someday with me. :D He said, "well, I'm not getting any younger... tell Stoops we need a rematch this January."

Anywho... your experiences?

Ash
9/11/2007, 12:26 AM
Loud, drunk, obnoxious but they didn't pull a gun on me or some **** like that so I guess it was the good Miami crowd.

douxpaysan
9/11/2007, 12:38 AM
Loud, drunk, obnoxious but they didn't pull a gun on me or some **** like that so I guess it was the good Miami crowd.
I'm a guessing who was loud, drunk and obnoxious...:D

Ash
9/11/2007, 12:40 AM
I'm a guessing who was loud, drunk and obnoxious...:D

I was loud and drunk but their south beach asses were obnoxious!!!:texan:

Jewstin
9/11/2007, 12:47 AM
There was a Miami student sitting next to me in the student section that was obviously either hammered or completely hungover (I guess he had an OU friend -- he was wearing crimson till the game started at which point he took it off to reveal his true colors ... a black shirt) ... we had a lil' bit of a chat about the teams, mostly him referencing how our offense was "good" but how Miami's defense was "ridiculous."

He also was wowed by Hartley's pregame warm-up drills when Hartley nailed a 45 yarder. I told him that kind of distance was automatic for Garrett. (For those who aren't there for the pre-game stuff, he routinely kicks 60-65+ yarders while the student section is filling up). Anyways, he countered like, "yeah, but can he do it in a game?" So, I pointed out how he didn't miss a single kick last year (except that blocked kick at Oregon) and would most likely win the Groza this year. Then he continued about how Miami used to have the best kicker ever, in the world/galaxy/universe a few years ago, or something ...

Every other word that came out of his mouth was the f-word, which annoyed my dad to no end. He was a little goofy and thankfully moved a couple seats over and a row back before kick-off. When Freeman nearly threw that interception on that first play, I turned around and said, "How about ole Kirby Freeman?"

Later, after they went down 21-3, he yelled really loudly, "it's gonna be a long year." Everyone laughed.

He and the other couple Miami fans in the student section mostly kept to themselves ... and rightfully so. I was blown away how well behaved the student section was, though. I guess some of them didn't realize how much we're supposed to hate Miami. ;)

goingoneight
9/11/2007, 01:25 AM
There was a "thug"-looking guy sitting behind me that ended up being a pretty cool guy. When he saw Sammy sling that TD pass right over the shoulder of Kelly in the back corner of the endzone, he said "DAYUMM!!! That's a NEW KID???"

We all laughed OUr AO.

Sooner in Tampa
9/11/2007, 06:05 AM
I am sure that the arse whoopin that was put on them had something to do with their attitude. It is hard to run smack when you just belted right in the kisser.

pweitkem
9/11/2007, 07:50 AM
My OU buddy and I upgraded to seats on the 50 yardline. We had a season ticket holding UM fan sitting in front of us... to say the least he was gracious. Prior to the game he provided us good detail on the UM players and the issues he expected to see. D line was good, d backs were future pros and the offense is horrible. He was right on, with the exception being that his d backs didn't look very solid... as the season goes on we'll see whether it was the strength of the OU offense or the lack of speed on the Miami D that allowed Bradford to pick the Canes apart.

Once the game got going the UM fan had nothing but praise for OU.

After the game ended there were multiple UM fans that hung around on Campus Corner and had some coldies with us. They were all good fans... I came ready to argue with Thug U fans, but walked away with a new respect for at least those fans that travel.

Looking forward to Joe Roby in '09. Oh yeah, I bet another UM fan friend of mine four tickets on the 50 for the '09 game. Nice to have that waiting for me... like an early Christmas present.

Dr. Jelly Finger
9/11/2007, 09:21 AM
Everyone that I ran into appreciated the hospitality of our home crowd and then mentioned that they could not guarantee the same in Miami. I guess they wanted to get it out there that their fans suck before we travel in 09'.

Had several beers with UM fans and they could not beleieve that they weren't getting hazed by our fan base after the game. It's easy to be gracious in defeat, I guess, but my impression of UM fans came mostly from their impression of our fan base.

These comments made me very proud to be a Sooner fan and the way that we treat our opposition in Norman.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/11/2007, 09:27 AM
These two guys sat right in front of me and were actually pretty cool. They were hardcore fans (didn't realize there was such a thing in miami) and we talked about both teams in length. I was really surprised. They weren't happy about the game but were overall ok in my book.

Jewstin
9/11/2007, 09:27 AM
I did actually notice from afar what appeared to be a large, balding sooner fan walking down the aisle next to the Miami section in the south endzone with both hands and middle fingers extended in the air, flipping off everyone wearing Miami gear ...

That kind of ****ed me off. I'm glad the majority of our fans treated them well, though. I'd definitely say that was the best crop of the UM fanbase since they were willing to travel.

In other news, guess who's NOT going to the OU/UM game in 2009? (Not because I can't get a ticket, but rather because I'm fresh out of kevlar.)

Jason White's Third Knee
9/11/2007, 09:49 AM
I did actually notice from afar what appeared to be a large, balding sooner fan walking down the aisle next to the Miami section in the south endzone with both hands and middle fingers extended in the air, flipping off everyone wearing Miami gear ...

That kind of ****ed me off. I'm glad the majority of our fans treated them well, though. I'd definitely say that was the best crop of the UM fanbase since they were willing to travel.

In other news, guess who's NOT going to the OU/UM game in 2009? (Not because I can't get a ticket, but rather because I'm fresh out of kevlar.)

I talked to a ton of miami fans and they were obnoxious, but in a good spirited way. I don't have any problem with fans liking their team.

I did hear that any trip to the orange bowl or the new stadium would be a different scenario. They all warned me that the fans are completely out of control down there and you might as well be a pinata (pinyata, don't have an enya.).

mdklatt
9/11/2007, 09:54 AM
I did hear that any trip to the orange bowl or the new stadium would be a different scenario. They all warned me that the fans are completely out of control down there and you might as well be a pinata (pinyata, don't have an enya.).

If the fans start bothering you down there, just move to one of the empty 35,000 seats to get away from them. :texan:

r5TPsooner
9/11/2007, 09:57 AM
No one set in our section from UM but I saw a lot of them who must have parked at Homeland because they walked from the Stadium to Main Street. They had there heads down and just kept walking. I think the OU folks behind me gave them a hard time for the beat down but I promised the misses that I'd be a good fan and leave them alone given the fact that they were probably packing heat.

devOUt
9/11/2007, 10:12 AM
The Miami fans in our section were alright. When several of them left I heard one say to some OU fans "we'll see you at the Orange Bowl in two years" to which an OU fan replied "practice".

I didn't hear any trash talking until after the game when a drunk OU redneck tried to pick a fight with a Miami fan who was clearly not interested in fighting. The Miami fan kept saying "yeah, you're right we do suck". Some OU fans took up for the cane fan and the drunk redneck finally gave up and staggered away.

I have several friends who attended the game at the OB in 1986. Some of them told me it was the only time they have ever feared for their lives at a sporting event. I'm glad that our fans, for the most part, had far more class than Miami's fans did when they last hosted us.

Vic n Tulsa
9/11/2007, 10:18 AM
... gotta be honest... those people were really cool around me. They complimented Sammy and Kelly constantly and praised OUr play-calling. Many stuck around and started chanting "Boomer Sooner" when it was out of reach. :D I was right in the thick or orange and green haven, too.

Traveling fans I guess are better fans than home fans generally speaking in terms of how they represent themselves. I almost felt sorry for them... you know, traveling across the country in herds to see their team get manhandled. Reminded me of how my dad and his friends felt when they got back from TGWWDNSO. Good, true fans was my experience. Much to my surprise after reading about "thugs, *******s and arrogance." Randy Shannon was first class, too. He complimented us beyond our worth considering it was only game 2 and how bad his team looked. He made some gutsy calls that had they better athletes and time in the system, could have been dangerous. Like the deep ball on the opening snap of the game and the fake FG.

Great experience for me and I'm proud that one day I'll be able to say I was there watching a game with my dear ole dad. Needless to say, he felt a lot better about beating them big than did I as he remembers clearly the 80's when I was just a wee one. I told him he better survive to see us whip USC someday with me. :D He said, "well, I'm not getting any younger... tell Stoops we need a rematch this January."

Anywho... your experiences?

Geez...another SOONER perception proven wrong yet again, where fans think any and all other teams and their fan base are the scum of the earth compared to the epitome of the Sooner Nation when in reality "most" college football fans are decent human beings who support their teams. Great to hear this story and a congrats on a good victory over the Canes.

Good luck the rest of year!

schlanker
9/11/2007, 10:25 AM
THey were nice. We got pretty wasted with a few the night before on Campus corner. They did their cheers we did ours. The thing that really amazed me is how every miami fan had a pair of kicks on that were miami colors. Very interesting.

Soonermagik
9/11/2007, 10:27 AM
I told you guys they aren't all thug fans. I was bashed on here over and over again for telling people to not give the fans or the team a hard time. It is apparent with both the fans and the field of play i.e. (OU's dominance) that the 80's have come and gone.

SOONER STEAKER
9/11/2007, 10:29 AM
If we played Miami on a regular I'd hate them as much as I hate texass.

But, i didn't see any thugs though

Sooner FLiP
9/11/2007, 10:52 AM
i sat next to several Cane fans, all of them being Miami alum living in Dallas and one actually being one of my gfs ex-coworkers in dallas (boy were we suprised to see him there). anyways we all did a little friendly trash talking but it was pretty much fun. we talked about their QB problems and they were amazed at how OU stopped their running game. it was pretty funny though b/c they all said that they could take the loss to OU but ONLY if we beat the heck out of SAXET.

NormanPride
9/11/2007, 10:52 AM
I loved the guys driving around blaring thug music and giving us all the finger after the game. Sure there are classy fans, but there's more trash there than usual.

MamaMia
9/11/2007, 11:03 AM
We stayed in a hotel that had quite a few Miami fans. Some were nice, most were loud and obnoxious. All but a hand full of the loud ones checked out after the game. A lot of the nice ones stayed until Sunday.

Did anyone see the Miami fans in Section #35 ask the security guards to remove 2 of their own fellow cane fans? Apparently somewhere around Row #30 there was a couple of Miami fans heckling a little 10 year old Sooner boy. The boy held his own though. He jingled his fathers keys at them as they were being hauled away. :D

Sooner FLiP
9/11/2007, 11:11 AM
i did see that! i was wondering what was happening down there.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/11/2007, 12:33 PM
I heard from several 'canes that they were going to root for us to win the NC. I also heard a lot of, "now go kick texas' ***!" Of course I'll be happy to oblige.

r5TPsooner
9/11/2007, 01:34 PM
If by decent he means sucked, then I agree with Shannon.

A Sooner in Texas
9/11/2007, 11:40 PM
Geez...another SOONER perception proven wrong yet again, where fans think any and all other teams and their fan base are the scum of the earth compared to the epitome of the Sooner Nation when in reality "most" college football fans are decent human beings who support their teams. Great to hear this story and a congrats on a good victory over the Canes.

Good luck the rest of year!

Thanks for the congrats, but I was one of those Sooner fans at the '88 OB who did fear for my life to a degree. It was hardcore...so I'm glad to hear the Miami fans overall were cool and enjoyed the fine Sooner hospitality.

SteelClip49
9/12/2007, 06:13 AM
LIKE I SAID, MIAMI FANS WERE AWESOME.