PDA

View Full Version : Playing CU will be interesting

Blitzkrieg
9/10/2007, 04:58 PM
It will be very good experience before our trip to Dallas. It's been easy to make fun of Hawkins, but what we faced in Boise last year was much more about Hawkins than their coach at the time (whatever his name was), and he has beaten CSU and ASU so far with not much talent.

We'll win, but I wouldn't be surprised if he rolls out a soft zone and doubles up on Kelly. That would be the smart thing to do. Yes, we can run the ball, but Kelly in single coverage is a recipe for a quick score, teams will start to figure this out at some point.

Offensively, they junk things us and run misdirection draws, screens, etc. Cody Hawkins has been very accurate, and that is something we haven't had to worry about yet. We need some more stress on the secondary to see where the issues are.

I love how the schedule shapes up, it really couldn't be any better.

SapulpaSooner
9/10/2007, 05:00 PM
It will be very good experience before our trip to Dallas. It's been easy to make fun of Hawkins, but what we faced in Boise last year was much more about Hawkins than their coach at the time (whatever his name was), and he has beaten CSU and ASU so far with not much talent.

We'll win, but I wouldn't be surprised if he rolls out a soft zone and doubles up on Kelly. That would be the smart thing to do. Yes, we can run the ball, but Kelly in single coverage is a recipe for a quick score, teams will start to figure this out at some point.

Offensively, they junk things us and run misdirection draws, screens, etc. Cody Hawkins has been very accurate, and that is something we haven't had to worry about yet. We need some more stress on the secondary to see where the issues are.

CU LOST to ASU

r5TPsooner
9/10/2007, 05:00 PM
They just don't have the personnel that OU does right now.

King Crimson
9/10/2007, 05:05 PM
Hawkins was never the OC at Boise. he never called the plays. it's not his offense.

i agree there's a trap game potential for that one being the week before UT, on the road, and they'll be sky high.

we play our game we win by 2-3 scores.

CU gave up 33 unanswered to ASU.

JohnnyMack
9/10/2007, 05:05 PM
CU LOST to ASU

Why do you hate watching the entire game?

SoonerKnight
9/10/2007, 05:56 PM
CU will have about 2-3 wins for the year. Hawkins may be gone after this year. I can not see his son doing so well with the lack of talent on the team.

stoopified
9/10/2007, 06:32 PM
I ain't buying Boulder as a trap.I have seen CU play twice now and I am not impressed.If it were the week after a hard-fought win OR loss in Dallas.I might be worried but not as it stands now.I would point out other than 1999,CU has not been a problem for Bob and the boys.I'm confident in a 2-3 TD win barring injuries or blizzard.

devOUt
9/10/2007, 07:02 PM
Colorado doesn't have the defense to stay with us. You're right though, our secondary will see a little of everything.

schlanker
9/10/2007, 09:13 PM
I am going to that game and I am really excited about it. MY big worry is the altitude. We seem to play badly in Boulder. We should still beat them handily but the teams first away game (Tulsa does not count) plus the altitude could make for a closer game than people think.

mikeelikee
9/10/2007, 09:52 PM
They can't seem to stop anybody, and if that's the case, we should score a boatload on them. Potential trap game, sure, but I believe this team has a cohesion and focus unlike any since 2000.

CatfishSooner
9/10/2007, 09:55 PM
I am going to that game and I am really excited about it. MY big worry is the altitude. We seem to play badly in Boulder. We should still beat them handily but the teams first away game (Tulsa does not count) plus the altitude could make for a closer game than people think.

Why are you worried about the altitude?????????????????

sanantoniosooner
9/10/2007, 10:06 PM
Why are you worried about the altitude?????????????????
Inflates your sack totals.

bluedogok
9/10/2007, 10:11 PM
They may be the worst team in the Big 12 this year, although I think they may eek one out against ISU.....so second worst. They have looked BAD so far.

In dealing with altitude....drink heavily.

OK2LA
9/10/2007, 10:12 PM
Inflates your sack totals.

I'm good with one.

goingoneight
9/10/2007, 10:15 PM
Inflates your sack.
:eek:

aurorasooner
9/10/2007, 10:24 PM
I was glad to see CU lose to ASU because if they would've beaten ASU and then happen to thump FSU in Boulder, which I think they will, Folsom Prison will be rockin' for the CU/OU game. If they beat Florida State, they'll more-than-likely destroy Miami/Ohio (only win Ball State 14-13) the week before our game, and the fans and the team will be sky high for an upset of a top-10 team and an RTD (return to dominance)because they've been RTD'd (returned to doormats) the last few years. Folsom will still be hostile for the CU/OU game. I just hope it's not a night game because the students will have all day to get good and stoned/boozed, and it's no-telling what the weather may be at the end of September, it may snow like hell. The temperature is supposed to get down to 40 degrees tonight. I'm really glad the game is not in October and especially Halloween weekend.

Crucifax Autumn
9/10/2007, 10:25 PM
I think CU will be a fine test of our 4th stringers. They could probably use the playing time so they'll be in game shape for when they come in for the second half of the RRS.

KaiserSooner
9/10/2007, 10:29 PM
They may be the worst team in the Big 12 this year, although I think they may eek one out against ISU.....so second worst. They have looked BAD so far.

In dealing with altitude....drink heavily.

Yeah, Iowa State is way worse than CU.

aurorasooner
9/10/2007, 10:36 PM
1) They beat Colorado State and Colorado State gave UCal a helluva scare last weekend. 2) Arizona State has always been a tough place to play for visiting teams early in the year. If you think CU is on the same level as Iowa State, imo, they're not. We'll see Saturday Night when they play Florida State. I may be wrong, but I think the Buffs will beat FSU. The best thing for us would be for FSU to kick the crap out of them in front of the home fans.

devOUt
9/10/2007, 10:37 PM
I was glad to see CU lose to ASU because if they would've beaten ASU and then happen to thump FSU in Boulder, which I think they will, Folsom Prison will be rockin' for the CU/OU game.

It would be raining D cell batteries from the student section. I hate those little azzholes.

King Crimson
9/10/2007, 10:41 PM
i don't think they'll beat FSU since they haven't shown they can play 4 quarters of football. not that FSU has. I also hoping the OU-CU game won't be a night game. despite evidence to the contrary, CU does have a good core group of fans going back to Big 8/Eddie Crowder days....but the McCartneyites and current crop of students the last decade are not in anyway knowledgable and just scum. though, most college students today are pretty lousy to be around in a game situation if you are "not one of them".

they are kind of the my life as reality show generation. college=organized irresponsibility and playtime (as if it was being filmed).

hink4769
9/10/2007, 11:10 PM
agreed on this. i think we're going to be kicking ourselves along time if we waste this season with a dumb loss somewhere.

King Crimson
9/10/2007, 11:19 PM
agreed on this. i think we're going to be kicking ourselves along time if we waste this season with a dumb loss somewhere.

we NEED to beat Texas. MU, ATM, and the Pokies in Norman is a run the table dare gift.

Crucifax Autumn
9/10/2007, 11:21 PM
We will NOT lose a game...This team is focused and showing no mercy.

King Crimson
9/10/2007, 11:27 PM
We will NOT lose a game...This team is focused and showing no mercy.

that's fun to say, but the 78 team lost....and we've seen this hyperbole in 03 and 04. we've played two games.

stoicism is the only philosophy for a man. read some Marcus Aurelius or Zeno.

Crucifax Autumn
9/10/2007, 11:31 PM
Oh, I know it CAN happen, I just don't think it WILL.

There are enough doomsayers on the board and yeah, enough crimson tinted glasses too. The deal is though, I'd rather try to be positive than sit around looking like some goth kid lamenting the futility of hope.

stoopified
9/11/2007, 11:29 AM
agreed on this. i think we're going to be kicking ourselves along time if we waste this season with a dumb loss somewhere.Sing it brother,I'm a believer.Our D is playing up to potential(unlike last year).OUr running game is FAR BETTER than people think(if they just check stats;funny how a 42 yard loss throws off rushing stats),Bradford is playing like a QB version of AD,Hartely and Cohen are raining down howitzer kicks,we just got it goin' on.

Scott D
9/11/2007, 11:37 AM

This post lost me when it gave Hawkins playcalling responsibilities over Petersen. The Fiesta Bowl was more Petersen and a senior QB than it was Dan Hawkins. Hell Hawkins wasn't calling the offense for the last 3 years he was at Boise, Petersen was.

Cody Hawkins has to play against our defense as much as any other QB that we've faced.