PDA

View Full Version : Suprising Demographic Fact About OU Enrollment

FaninAma
9/10/2007, 04:52 PM
I accompanied my daughter, who is a junior in high school, on a college day tour of OU. Our guide that day asked how many of the students on the tour were from Texas and about 1/3 of the hands of the kids(and their parents) went up. The guide stated that that was fairly representative of the student body since 30% of the students currently enrolled at OU are from Texas.

I thought this was interesting and it makes the typical UT attitude toward the quality of education received at OU look even more arrogant and elitist since, with their trashing of OU and the education one would recieve there, they are also trashing the educational experience of quite a few of their fellow Texans.

Of course showing class and deferrence even toward citizens of their own state would never stand in the way of a UT grad trying to pump up his own ego by trying to tear down others.

Classless and FOS, through and through....that's the motto of ol' TU.

SicEmBaylor
9/10/2007, 04:54 PM
I'll tell you what surprised me about our demographics. I always thought that Oklahoma had the 2nd most number of students at Baylor (behind Texas of course), but that's not the case. Oklahoma is #3. Amazingly enough, California is #2.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/10/2007, 05:07 PM
I'll tell you what surprised me about our demographics. I always thought that Oklahoma had the 2nd most number of students at Baylor (behind Texas of course), but that's not the case. Oklahoma is #3. Amazingly enough, California is #2.No surprise.California is famous for it's devotion to Christianity.

yermom
9/10/2007, 05:11 PM
UT is a lot harder to get into, and i think it's still more expensive than OU even with out of state tuition

PrideTrombone
9/10/2007, 05:28 PM
Hell, by the end of my time there (2004) it seemed like fully half the students were from Texas.

usmc-sooner
9/10/2007, 05:50 PM
I can't stand liberal demographs :D

Frozen Sooner
9/10/2007, 06:00 PM
I'll tell you what surprised me about our demographics. I always thought that Oklahoma had the 2nd most number of students at Baylor (behind Texas of course), but that's not the case. Oklahoma is #3. Amazingly enough, California is #2.

I don't know about "Amazing." Considering that Texas and California are the two most populaous states and that Baylor is a private school, I'd expect them to be 1 and 2 in enrollment. A mild surprise, I guess.

Chuck Bao
9/10/2007, 06:15 PM
I'm not surprised by either demographic.

How many native Okies work in Texas, but still want their children to go to OU?

How could out of state tuition at OU still be cheaper than UT? That surprises me.

Tuition rates are crazy and stupid, if you ask me. When I got my MBA at Baylor in the mid-80s, they said that Baylor was the second cheapest private university in the US. I never verified that, but it seemed like a good bargain at the time.

Maybe, Baylor still seems like a bargain for those from California.

SicEmBaylor
9/10/2007, 06:17 PM
I'm not surprised by either demographic.

How many native Okies work in Texas, but still want their children to go to OU?

How could out of state tuition at OU still be cheaper than UT? That surprises me.

Tuition rates are crazy and stupid, if you ask me. When I got my MBA at Baylor in the mid-80s, they said that Baylor was the second cheapest private university in the US. I never verified that, but it seemed like a good bargain at the time.

Maybe, Baylor still seems like a bargain for those from California.

I think they still call it a bargain, but "bargain" is having to carry an awful lot of weight lately....

reevie
9/10/2007, 07:26 PM
I remember this guy in one of my classes, back in the early 90s, who was from Texas explained why OU was his choice. Went something like this:

No way in hell he would even consider UT. That left his options as OU and A&M. He didn't want to be an Aggie and it was too far from home. But out-of-state tuition for OU was still cheaper than in-state for A&M and Tech.

GottaHavePride
9/10/2007, 07:39 PM

Easy. OU has some of the lowest tuition in the Big XII. OU's out-of-state rate is almost the same as KU's in-state rate, and OU was FAR more generous with the scholarship offer. That was a big reason I picked OU in the first place.

Good thing, too. As soon as I dropped engineering half my scholarship at KU would have gone out the window.