PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Everett

Scott D
9/10/2007, 04:13 PM
By now pretty much everyone knows about the injury he suffered yesterday in the Bills/Broncos game. They just had a press conference in regards to his surgery and current status. He spent over 2 hours in surgery, and the doctors have him heavily sedated, saying they won't have any real prognosis on him for at least 72 hours.

So here's prayers to a kid from Port Arthur, Texas who happened to go to "The U" whom we happened to play on Saturday for a recovery to as much of a normal life as possible.

SoonerBOI
9/10/2007, 04:21 PM
By now pretty much everyone knows about the injury he suffered yesterday in the Bills/Broncos game. They just had a press conference in regards to his surgery and current status. He spent over 2 hours in surgery, and the doctors have him heavily sedated, saying they won't have any real prognosis on him for at least 72 hours.

So here's prayers to a kid from Port Arthur, Texas who happened to go to "The U" whom we happened to play on Saturday for a recovery to as much of a normal life as possible.

Well said. we''ll pray for his speedy recovery and God bless his family.

swardboy
9/10/2007, 04:40 PM
He put his head down and into the shoulder pads of the ball carrier. It doesn't take a head to head or head to knee blow to do major damage. Players have to do something that is so hard to do: Keep your head up. Willie Lanier, great linebacker for the Chiefs, was the master of heads up tackling. I used to think, "C'mon Willie, lay 'em out," but he got the job done with heads up tackling.

Scott D
9/10/2007, 04:50 PM
Right now things don't look good. After seeing the results from Reggie Brown from the Detroit Lions back in 97 there's always hope.

Everett likely paralyzed with 'catastrophic' injury

Associated Press

Updated: September 10, 2007, 5:41 PM ET

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills' Kevin Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury and his chances of regaining a full range of body motion are very small, an orthopedic surgeon said Monday.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," Dr. Andrew Cappuccino said, one day after performing a four-hour operation on the player. "I believe there will be some permanent neurological paralysis. ... A full neurological recovery was bleak, dismal."

Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement.

Everett's family members, including mother Patricia Dugas, were to arrive in Buffalo on Monday from their Houston home, Armstead said.

Everett sustained what the team called a cervical spine injury Sunday when he ducked his head while driving in to tackle Denver's Domenik Hixon during the second half-opening kickoff. Everett dropped face first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

Punter Brian Moorman was one of many Bills players shaken by Everett's injury.

"It's a tough situation to watch because he's somebody's son, brother and friend," Moorman said Monday. "It's all you could think about during the game, after it happened, after the game and this morning. And we just want him to get better, we want him to heal."

Quarterback J.P. Losman said it was difficult to concentrate during practice.

"It seems like every couple of seconds that go by it's always popping into your head," Losman said. "Going through a walk-through, we're looking for him, wanting to hear his voice."

The Bills have Tuesday off before returning to practice to prepare to play at Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Replays showed the player twitching for a few seconds as he attempted to get up before falling back to the ground. Everett had his eyes open but showed no further signs of movement during the next 15 minutes as the team's medical staff and emergency personnel carefully placed him on a backboard and, with the player's head and body immobilized, loaded him into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

Coach Dick Jauron said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell called him Sunday evening, offering the league's support.

"We honor ourselves by our work, and we honor Kevin by moving forward and working while never forgetting Kevin and never getting him out of our thoughts and prayers," Jauron said. "We're going to wait and see what the outcome is here and we're really hoping and praying for the best."

Buffalo's 2005 third-round draft pick out of Miami, Everett missed his rookie season because of a knee injury. He spent most of last year playing special teams. He was hoping to make an impact as a receiver.

His injury recalled the one to Mike Utley, the former Detroit Lions guard who was paralyzed below the chest. He injured his neck in a collision during a 1991 game.

"I'm sorry this young man got hurt," Utley told the AP. "It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a great form tackle and that's it."

The 41-year-old Utley now lives in Washington state and is promoting a bike tour aimed at raising money in an effort to cure paralysis.

"These are big strong men competing at the highest level. You can do everything to prepare yourself -- lift weights and all that," Utley said. "But is it going to happen again? Yes."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

OKC-SLC
9/10/2007, 04:57 PM
In.

Cam
9/10/2007, 08:24 PM
That's just a sad deal. Prayers for him and his family.

Here's to hoping the NFL takes care of this guy if he doesn't recover his mobility.

Seamus
9/10/2007, 09:17 PM
Damn, that's bad. Having sustained two blown-out knees, I've always said I wouldn't wish it on any player -- even a Miami player. And sure enough, when that Cane in OUr game looked to be really hurt, I let out a little gasp and said, "Oh, no."

I hate miami with all my being, but I can't wish that kind of devastation on a player. Prayers to Everett and his family. This is a really bad thing, and I hope for the best for the young man.

FaninAma
9/10/2007, 09:33 PM
I'm a little suprised the surgeon was so open and public with the information he gave out today. I assume he cleared everything with the family. I am also suprised that he would venture any prognosis this early.

Sad news as it stands.

usmc-sooner
9/10/2007, 09:38 PM
God Speed Kevin

GottaHavePride
9/10/2007, 10:33 PM
Good luck to the guy.

As a side note: Dr Andrew Cappuccino? I'm sorry, I don't know if I could stop myself from chuckling everytime I was talking to the doctor.

Scott D
9/11/2007, 08:41 AM
I'm a little suprised the surgeon was so open and public with the information he gave out today. I assume he cleared everything with the family. I am also suprised that he would venture any prognosis this early.

Sad news as it stands.

in the press conference he was very explicit in saying that he had many long conversations with Everett's mother, explaining everything to her in as much laymans terms as he could.

kevpks
9/11/2007, 07:49 PM
I just read some positive developments on Everett's condition:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/09/11/bills.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- Kevin Everett voluntarily moved his arms and legs on Tuesday when partially awakened, prompting a neurosurgeon to say the Buffalo Bills' tight end would walk again -- contrary to the grim prognosis given a day before.

"Based on our experience, the fact that he's moving so well, so early after such a catastrophic injury means he will walk again," said Dr. Barth Green, chairman of the department of neurological surgery at the University of Miami school of medicine.

"It's totally spectacular, totally unexpected," Green told The Associated Press by telephone from Miami.

Collier11
9/11/2007, 08:07 PM
I heard all that, such good news! Here is to the guy getting back on his feet on his own!!!

SoonerMom2
9/11/2007, 08:21 PM
That is why the first doctor should have kept his mouth shut and said it was too early to tell the prognosis of this young man. I don't think it was very ethical the way the first doctor handled things.

Prayers for the young man that he makes a full recovery.

swardboy
9/11/2007, 08:28 PM
Of course don't anyone give creedence to the power of prayer....

OUHOMER
9/11/2007, 08:28 PM
That is why the first doctor should have kept his mouth shut and said it was too early to tell the prognosis of this young man. I don't think it was very ethical the way the first doctor handled things.

Prayers for the young man that he makes a full recovery.
I agree, better to be quite and wait and see, dont get anybody's hopes up or down until you know more

FaninAma
9/11/2007, 08:42 PM
I think the first surgeon got caught up in the spot light of the situation and he did not conduct himself professionally.

My limited knowledge of spinal cord and other nervous tissue injuries leads me to believe that you can't really make an accurate diagnosis for days...if not weeks. Even an early guarded prognosis shouldn't be made until a significant part of the swelling has subsided.

Scott D
9/11/2007, 09:17 PM
Well to be fair, that first article that was linked, by me was pretty empty of what was actually being said. He stated multiple times that it would likely be 48-72 hours before they'd be able to make an accurate prognosis, but that at that time there was a bigger likelihood that there'd be some sort of damage that would be permanent.