PDA

View Full Version : Having pride in Oklahoma!?!?!

achiro
9/10/2007, 03:40 PM
So of all that crap that OSUcks fans talk about, paying players, gooners, cheating, more non grad fans, etc, etc,(which of course is mostly just ignorant foolishness that can be completely dismantled with facts) The one thing that does bother me is the land thieves crap. Now I know the history of OUr great state. I was born and raised an Okie and regardless of what problems we may have, I believe it is a great place to live. It doesn't really even bother me much when folks from fan bases outside OK get into it(state smack) but when "fellow" okies get into it I have a bit of a problem with it.
I guess I am of the opinion, have pride in where you live or get the **** out! (state or country ;) )

Anyway, carry on.:pop: :D

achiro
9/10/2007, 03:41 PM
oh and CEEEEElabrate our state come on! Theres a party goin on round here...

:D

Petro-Sooner
9/10/2007, 03:55 PM
oh and CEEEEElabrate our state come on! Theres a party goin on round here...

UGHHHH Please..........stop................

Okla-homey
9/10/2007, 09:16 PM
Tecnically speaking, Stoolwater was situated on Indian land (Pawnee methinks.) Norman (and OKC) were on unassigned lands. Therefore, if there was any 19th c. land stealing incidental to the establishment of one of the two, it would have to be Stoolwater. Fast forward to the 21st century. T. Boone has been responsible for more land stealing to build his "national championship factory" than anyone in Oklahoma of late.

goingoneight
9/11/2007, 12:29 AM
Talk about land thieves... they have a billionaire paying poor people bottom dollar for their HOMES so he can build a big, fanless stadium to lose in. What about his life insurance plan? I guess claiming land 100 years ago is worse than a filthy rich guy taking people to the cleaners and guilt-tripping them into giving OSU a "gift of a lifetime."

tommieharris91
9/11/2007, 12:43 AM
Booney will probably start paying players in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised if it has already started.

1stTimeCaller
9/11/2007, 12:59 AM
pssssst, not to burst any bubbles on T Boone and emminent domain but does anyone know what happened to those houses that were on Fairy Queen Lane (honest to God, that is/was name of the street)in Norman?

Glass houses people, glass houses.

Mixer!
9/11/2007, 01:44 AM
I can tell you this: the local dance hall owner bought up a bunch of those old houses that were in the middle of Boone's farm, and had them moved across the road from his drinking establishment.

And for real fun, go to the nearest "BIG ARNJ" MB and start calling the :stunned: 'Land Thieves' - hilarity ensues.

badger
9/11/2007, 08:29 AM
OU's history of eminent domain:
-Not at all during Boren's 12 years.
-Houses purchased when available in areas adjacent to the university campus, like near the corner of Lindsey and Jenkins.
-Admittedly, Boren can be quite pushy.

OSU's history of eminent domain:
Just click here and laugh. (http://boonestate.com)

oklaclarinet
9/11/2007, 03:57 PM
Tecnically speaking, Stoolwater was situated on Indian land (Pawnee methinks.) Norman (and OKC) were on unassigned lands. Therefore, if there was any 19th c. land stealing incidental to the establishment of one of the two, it would have to be Stoolwater. Fast forward to the 21st century. T. Boone has been responsible for more land stealing to build his "national championship factory" than anyone in Oklahoma of late.

Actually, most of what is now Payne County was in the Unassigned Lands. Only the northern little strip was Indian land, and it was part of the Cherokee Outlet. (This would be just a few miles north of Stillwater.) However, if you want the connection between Stillwater and land thieves, then look no further than Capt. David L. Payne. Payne was the leader of the Boomer Army that attempted to settle Oklahoma several times before it was legal. It was largely thanks to Payne's efforts that the government allowed for the settling of the Unassigned Lands, and later the rest of Oklahoma. (This later settling was only able to happen by the governmnet stealing back land they had given to the Indians.) Boomer Lake in Stillwater is named for his group, and Payne County, of which Stillwater is the seat, is named for him. Capt. Payne's remains were eventually moved to Stillwater, where they are buried.

OSUAggie
9/11/2007, 04:16 PM
Talk about land thieves... they have a billionaire paying poor people bottom dollar for their HOMES so he can build a big, fanless stadium to lose in. What about his life insurance plan? I guess claiming land 100 years ago is worse than a filthy rich guy taking people to the cleaners and guilt-tripping them into giving OSU a "gift of a lifetime."

That was pretty uninformed, to put it mildly.

---------------------------------

I believe it has more to do with the fact that the nickname for the University of Oklahoma athletic teams is Sooners as opposed to the idea that Oklahoma State fans somehow hate the state of Oklahoma.

OSU fans don't, however, enjoy traveling to places across the country and (upon informing others of their origins) getting asked how the Sooners look this season - or something to that effect.

SoonerBorn68
9/11/2007, 04:47 PM
Two thoughts:

I prefer "dirt burglar" to "land thief" and...

My new house is caddy corner to the Grace Pickens Public Library. As soon as I get home from this job my new (very large) OU flag will be casting a permenent shadow on that place.

Mixer!
9/11/2007, 05:02 PM
http://clerestoryav.com/boonestate/comics/poorpeoplecomic.jpg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/11/2007, 06:34 PM
http://clerestoryav.com/boonestate/comics/poorpeoplecomic.jpgFunny. Where did it come from, the lOSUr school newspaper?

goingoneight
9/11/2007, 11:44 PM

---------------------------------

I believe it has more to do with the fact that the nickname for the University of Oklahoma athletic teams is Sooners as opposed to the idea that Oklahoma State fans somehow hate the state of Oklahoma.

OSU fans don't, however, enjoy traveling to places across the country and (upon informing others of their origins) getting asked how the Sooners look this season - or something to that effect.

Sorry, didn't read/edit my post. By "poor," I didn't mean people scrapping by. I meant "poor" as in people who were told "this is the deal, take it or leave it" on property that was not Boone's, but theirs. Their "homes," if you will. And I know the same was done in Norman for expansion before. Don't tell me you haven't heard an angry person or two in Stillwater concerning BooneLand. BooneState.com is a very popular opinion of it all. My post was a glass houses post itself. For all they accuse OU of, they're just as "guilty" most of the time.

... Michigan State fans don't like hearing about UM until the Wolverines are the laughing stock of college football, then they can't get enough. UCLA fans don't like hearing about USC, A&M fans don't like hearing about Texas... the list goes on there. Like the old saying goes... "don't get mad, get better."

badger
9/12/2007, 09:00 AM
Ok, let's begin analyzizingstering this...

Talk about land thieves...
Yes, we know the history behind Boomer and Sooner already. Zzzzz...

They have a billionaire paying poor people bottom dollar for their HOMES so he can build a big, fanless stadium to lose in.
We should now establish that the billionaire in question T. Boone Pickens, who has the Oklahoma State University football stadium named after him. We should also establish how many games OSU sells out on a regular basis within the past 10 years... ok, not many, so that makes it big and fanless, because every stadium looks bigger when it's mostly empty. Finally, we should note that while he is indeed encouraging OSU to use eminent domain, it is not for the big fanless stadium, which is already built mostly.

What about his life insurance plan? I guess claiming land 100 years ago is worse than a filthy rich guy taking people to the cleaners and guilt-tripping them into giving OSU a "gift of a lifetime."
Ah yes, "When you're dead, give your inheritance to OSU instead of your families and your friends and such, I'm so evil, hehe." While I'm sure the conversation did not go like that, I think without question it should be questioned whether his ideas of giving a fraction of his money to the university could be compared with people being asked to give a large portion of their money once they're gone.

So, there you have it.

1- The Sooners might be land thieves, but so is anyone that demands land through legalities without giving fair money in return.

2- The eminent domain land in question does not include the T. Boone Pickens Stadium.

3- However, the stadium is indeed, on most occasions, big and fanless.

4- When a billionaire donates his chump change, would you listen if asked you to donate everything you had after you die?

badger
9/12/2007, 09:01 AM
Funny. Where did it come from, the lOSUr school newspaper?
these came from that link I gave, which is the site boonestate.com

Check it out!

yermom
9/12/2007, 10:15 AM
pssssst, not to burst any bubbles on T Boone and emminent domain but does anyone know what happened to those houses that were on Fairy Queen Lane (honest to God, that is/was name of the street)in Norman?

Glass houses people, glass houses.

OU has better PR people ;)

OSUAggie
9/12/2007, 10:18 AM
We should now establish that the billionaire in question T. Boone Pickens, who has the Oklahoma State University football stadium named after him. We should also establish how many games OSU sells out on a regular basis within the past 10 years... ok, not many, so that makes it big and fanless, because every stadium looks bigger when it's mostly empty. Finally, we should note that while he is indeed encouraging OSU to use eminent domain, it is not for the big fanless stadium, which is already built mostly.

Point? The 'poor' people that owned houses in that neighborhood typically didn't live in the houses they owned - I think something to the tune of 85% of the houses were rentals. OSU offered well above what those pieces of **** were worth in most cases.

The other portion of the land was occupied by apartment buildings. I used to live in one of them. They needed to be torn down. Hell, half of the dwellings near campus need to be torn down. There isn't much in the way of decent housing in the square bordered by Main, Walnut, 6th and Eskridge. Maybe not as far east as Main, but at least to Duck.

Ah yes, "When you're dead, give your inheritance to OSU instead of your families and your friends and such, I'm so evil, hehe."

It's an insurance policy provided by OSU for the person in question. It has nothing to do with said person's estate or what he/she plans to do with it. Churches do it all the time.

While I'm sure the conversation did not go like that, I think without question it should be questioned whether his ideas of giving a fraction of his money to the university could be compared with people being asked to give a large portion of their money once they're gone.

Again, the people are not being asked to give a large portion of their money (or any portion, for that matter) for this program. All they're giving is a signature. OSU is taking care of the money portion, and when the person dies - OSU collects on a $10 million policy + whatever the person might leave in their estate. It doesn't take anything away from anybody. It's simply using someone's fortune to generate more money.

1- The Sooners might be land thieves, but so is anyone that demands land through legalities without giving fair money in return.

Fair money was given. The guy who's been in court trying to keep his vast homestead and is bitching about $3,000 or whatever is just trying to drag the university through PR hell - he lives in ****ing Nichols Hills.

2- The eminent domain land in question does not include the T. Boone Pickens Stadium.

Right, it includes stadiums for 5 other sports and practice facilities for football. So?

3- However, the stadium is indeed, on most occasions, big and fanless.

I get it, you don't think OSU will sell any tickets in the new stadium. You're not alone.

4- When a billionaire donates his chump change, would you listen if asked you to donate everything you had after you die?

His chump change? His estimated worth was 1.5 billion at the time of his $165 million donation. His donation was made in cash paid in full. That's pretty unique and is not chump change - even to him. Over 10% of his worth gone in the form of cash. And yet again, people aren't donating anything. Their wealth is being used. The insurance company makes money, the university makes money, the people lose nothing.

It's not as if the people didn't have a choice in the matter. Ze Germans didn't show up at their door and take all their ****. It's pretty voluntary.

M
9/12/2007, 02:12 PM
Awww, come on guys. Don't you think it'd be cool to get a state-of-the-art athletic complex? Don't tell me you'd turn it down or not use eminent domain if you had to. :rolleyes:

I_SMELL_FEAR
9/12/2007, 02:35 PM
yes, the house were mostly rentals, and yes they were pretty crappy houses but I still dont think a fair price was offered. Without a house, that close to the campus what is the land worth?? Maybe around 30-40,000? Add a crappy house 15,000. Add future revenue of a house that is likely paid off, at around 300.00 per bedroom rental...thats about 5400.00 per year for a 2 bedroom house.

So if you looks at at least 10 years of rental and the rest of the value, thats in the neighborhood of 90,000. they were not getting near that from what I read in the papers. And 10 years rental is LOW...people rent falling down crap in Stillwater that should have been torn down 20 years ago and put 0 maintenance dollars into them because they dont have to...they rent no matter what.

badger
9/12/2007, 07:07 PM
His chump change? His estimated worth was 1.5 billion at the time of his $165 million donation. His donation was made in cash paid in full. That's pretty unique and is not chump change - even to him. Over 10% of his worth gone in the form of cash. And yet again, people aren't donating anything. Their wealth is being used. The insurance company makes money, the university makes money, the people lose nothing.

It's not as if the people didn't have a choice in the matter. Ze Germans didn't show up at their door and take all their ****. It's pretty voluntary.

Ehhh... should we discuss this as a percentage when he is a billionaire?

Let's use the bible for this (oh no, religious zealot alert! hehe, i'm not). Some rich dude donates thousands to the church, but a poor woman donates a penny. Jesus praises such a donation, because she gave all she had.

Booney might give $165 million (um... did you see the BooneState.com comic about him giving Schmidty a Rolex, but taking it back to make sure it's managed well?) to invest at his own discretion for the university, but he has so many millions more.

So, if a dude with a $50,000 house gave that to the university, but all he had was a $50,000 house, he is giving more than Booney is, because Booney can afford to give that much.

Let's just resolve that OSU will continue to suck, despite shiny new facilities (and yes, I remember what Barry said, and I don't buy it, because OU's stadium is still bigger, and OU's practice facilities are still superior!). Except in wrestling. I think we all can agree that you guys rule when it comes to boys pinning other boys in suggestive positions! :D:D:D

Mixer!
9/12/2007, 10:42 PM
Of the 325 properties acquired for the idiotic village, 26 were owned by people still living in them (mostly elderly retirees) and were not in "post-Katrina" condition. The money offered to them would not have got them anything comparable to live in within city limits because the housing market is greatly over-valued here.

The end result is just what the cartoon above says: no poor, working poor, or working class families/retirees need to worry about owning a house here, because they can't afford it (unless they want to pay rent to live in an apartment or duplex; or live in a mobile home). :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: