PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice the Horse-Pigs yesterday?

batonrougesooner
9/9/2007, 11:48 PM
Or more specifically the lack of Horse-Pigs yesterday? My wife mentioned their absence early in the game. We were both pleased.

Were they there and did we just miss them or has something changed?

StoopTroup
9/9/2007, 11:49 PM
I think one of them died.

I only saw one.

Boarder
9/9/2007, 11:49 PM
They apparantly hang out in the club and suite area and entertain kids now. 2-0, 65 points a game, coincidence?

StoopTroup
9/9/2007, 11:55 PM
We win #8 while they are doing a promo at Chucky Cheese.

kevpks
9/10/2007, 12:15 AM
We win #8 while they are doing a promo at Chucky Cheese.

I could have sworn I saw the head of one, along with the Texas mascot in a bed on an ESPN commercial with Lee Corso. Did anyone else see it? He climbs into bed with them in some kind of twisted homage to the Godfather.

hurricane'bone
9/10/2007, 12:27 AM
I just saw that commercial as well.

It's part of the marketing for College GameDay, they are asking you "how well you know College GameDay"

At the end of the year they will give away a trip (i think)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/10/2007, 12:38 AM
Do you suppose enough fans have complained about the horse-pigs that they have been relegated to a lower profile. I sure hope so.

Spanish Sooner
9/10/2007, 12:39 AM
they were there at the game, but didn't come out in costume until the 4th quarter. I saw some guys on the sidelines wearing OU mascot shirts, but they didn't come out in costume until the fourth. Don't know the reason, but I think it has something to do with the humidity and heat. It kind of is hazardous to your health when its like 88% humidity outside and your wearing a fuzzy suit with a horse head to top it off. But who knows, all I know is that we are looking damn good

Crucifax Autumn
9/10/2007, 01:28 AM
Yeah...would be a shame if the horsepigs keeled over dead...NOT!

hurricane'bone
9/10/2007, 01:29 AM
Yeah...would be a shame if the horsepigs keeled over dead...NOT!

Wow...wishing death upon a student.

Classy.

Crucifax Autumn
9/10/2007, 01:34 AM
Now really...You KNOW I wasn't seriously wishing death on a student!

goingoneight
9/10/2007, 02:42 AM
I sniped one from the top of the Switzer Center, the other one was hiding behind Loadholdt. :D

badger
9/10/2007, 08:56 AM
Wow...wishing death upon a student.

Classy.
not the student... JUST THE HORSE PIG.

big difference!

"deah to horse pig" includes setting fire to the horse pig, having top dawg come out and shoot him, or run him over with the sooner schooner a few times.

then, said student that no longer is horse pig and appear out of nowhere as Top Dawg... and then we win championship #8.

colleyvillesooner
9/10/2007, 08:57 AM
I saw them walking around the West Concourse during the game at somepoint.

Dio
9/10/2007, 09:15 AM
A horsepig stole my kidney once....BASTARD!

stoopified
9/10/2007, 10:06 AM
They apparantly hang out in the club and suite area and entertain kids now. 2-0, 65 points a game, coincidence? :)

SouthFortySooner
9/10/2007, 11:20 AM
...glue factory rejected. Not enough horse, too much pig. :confused:

Boomer01
9/24/2007, 11:11 AM
Hey guys, I just wanted to say that I AM one of the mascots for OU. When I first tried out for mascot two years ago, I thought I was actually trying out to be Top Dawg, but then realized that the University had two new characters called Boomer and Sooner instead. But because I have been a mascot for the past 4 years and enjoy it so much, I went ahead and tried out. Yes, the horse heads looked stupid, and we knew that. That is why we made some changes. They are different now. But because people still reject the costumes, we are making even more changes...which is why you do not see us on the field. You will find us playing outside or in the press box area, but not the field until our new costumes are in.

I must say that it is not easy being the mascot, its about heat, sweat, endurance, BO (body odor), and unfortunately the rejection of our peers. The students inside the costumes did not get rid of Top Dawg or have anything to do with the creation of the new characters. But just as cheerleaders love to be cheerleaders, mascots also love to be mascots. Personally, I think we create a more kid-friendly environment for the younger fans. So it would very helpful if you would cut us a little slack. And if you don't like something about the characters, how about giving suggestions as to what you do like instead of just complaining and putting us down. We would appreciate the help because we are not out there to be spat upon, but to entertain you from the sidelines. Thanks for reading.
Boomer Sooners!
-Brandi

Petro-Sooner
9/24/2007, 11:16 AM
Death to the idea of having people dressed up in any horsey uniform. Theres a suggestion.

Ridiculous!!!!

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 11:16 AM
Spek for the mascot girl.

(I'm assuming Brandi is a girl.)

I may not be a huge fan of the costumes, or replacing TopDawg, but the people in the suits are some dedicated people. (And holy cow, I may never have smelled anything more awful than the inside of TopDawg's head.)

Widescreen
9/24/2007, 11:36 AM
I'd be OK with:

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/162/7f05lp6.jpg

or

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5083/duffmanhs2.png

Widescreen
9/24/2007, 11:37 AM
I may never have smelled anything more awful than the inside of TopDawg's head.
Dude, that's sick. This is a family bored.

MextheBulldog
9/24/2007, 12:00 PM
Hi Brandi - I think most folks on this board have much respect for the students who work hard in the mascot uniforms. It's the presentation of the horses as mascots that have rubbed people the wrong way. Bottom line - they look goofy, silly, just plain odd.

I would love to see the Seed Sower or Top Dawg in a bubble costume, aka Lil' Red from Nebraska. Lil' Red is an upgrade to a mascot done well, one that is appealing to the traditional types and the kiddos.

OUrules
9/24/2007, 12:35 PM
Brandi, most will agree we take no offense to the folks inside the costumes, we know they are working hard under tough conditions. We just all hate how stupid those mascosts looked. What are the changes going to be? Something that looks closer to an actual horse I suppose. Bottom line is a mascot need sto look tough or inposing to make the fans proud of it. Those did neither. I personally agree with others on the board.... do we even need those mascots? The schooner is good enough....

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/24/2007, 12:45 PM
We have a mascot. And it's awesome.

Kill teh horsepigs. Not the hard-working kids in those awful devil furries but the very idea of them. Boarder's right - those things have been absent from the field and we're squeezing throats again. They're bad luck. The fake fur on them is made of fibers of lose. Their bug eyes don't see - they shoot out beams of lame.

They need dedding, kickslapdang.

Boomer01
9/24/2007, 02:06 PM
About Top Dawg let me say this, he isn't coming back, there is nothing you or I or anybody can or will do about it, so you might as well get over it and get used to having Boomer and Sooner around, we are here to stay. It was the student population at OU that set the plans in motion for the birth of the horse mascots. People used to complain about TD because a dog did not represent OU very well. Did you know, that the person who used to perform as Top Dawg wrote a letter to David Boren to try and get the new horse mascots put into production. Even Top Dawg knew he didn't fit in well!!! Now people say that we are bad luck and we killed TD...blah blah blah. Well, you cannot make everybody happy, especially since some people are never happy. Performing as the schools mascot makes me happy though, it really does.

Yes, I am a girl..lol. I was one of those people in the mascot shirts on the sideline you saw ( I was wearing a black one though, it fits better). And the point I was really trying to make was that, in that suit, I have been punched, pushed, knocked down, hassled, kicked, spat upon, cursed at, you name it. While most people are whining about what the mascots look like, the people inside are harassed, having more to complain about that any one else, yet we do not complain because being a mascot is fun. Most people do not have any respect for the person inside. They are as immature as a child who merely sees the mascots as nonhuman cartoon characters. Our goal is to get people to enjoy our foolishness because lets face it, it is hilarious when a mascot trips and falls. The great thing is that it doesn't hurt because of all that fur!

I am not 100% certain what changes are actually going to be made to the characters. They are supposed to come back looking more like the ponies...only with football pads and muscles. Either way, if you see us out there you would really make our day with a simple high five. If not, that is up to you. Just remember that there is a huge Sooner fan inside that has found their own way to enjoy an OU football game by being a small part of it.
Besides, to all you guys out there, what male ou student wouldn't give almost anything to get to share the cheerleader locker room? Right? Even as a girl, I feel that it is an honor to get to work with those wonderful young men and women.

Go Sooners!
-Brandi

Edit: By the way, you can check Soonersports.com for your chance to try out for mascot. But I am warning you, as fun as it is, it takes a lot of dedication, most of your free time, and hard, hot, work.

tommieharris91
9/24/2007, 02:11 PM
I'll just ignore you and make fun of the other team.

Landthief 1972
9/24/2007, 02:29 PM
And if you don't like something about the characters, how about giving suggestions as to what you do like instead of just complaining and putting us down. We would appreciate the help because we are not out there to be spat upon, but to entertain you from the sidelines. Thanks for reading.
Boomer Sooners!
-Brandi

Well, Brandi, had you come around two years ago, you'd have gotten an earful. Some of the major complaints were addressed: they ditched the baby blue eyes and Bambi eyelashes, toned down the sissy hair and letter sweaters. I think the common comment is that they should go for something more like the Denver Broncos mascot.

As the father of 4 kids, I for one see the need for costume mascots, but you won't get much love around here from the younger folks or from the die-hard Top Dawg fans.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/24/2007, 02:31 PM
...Now people say that we are bad luck and we killed TD...blah blah blah...

YOU are not bad luck. YOU do not need to be killed. Please understand that.

But I want to wad up those horsepig suits and throw them into a vat of molten lava. And then when the little glass eyeballs float to the top I want to get one of those little fish-catching nets and scoop them up and drop them at the front entrance of the Switzer Center. And then I want to get a giant sledgehammer and pound them into glass dust. And then I want our awesome ponies to run by full of life and spirit and make the glass eyeball dust scatter in the wind. And then I want whoever thought these muscle-y, football pad-wearing, mullet-sporting mutants were a good idea to walk by and get a piece of eyeball glass dust stuck in the bottom of their foot.

Dang.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/24/2007, 02:33 PM
...you won't get much love around here from the younger folks or from the die-hard Top Dawg fans.

Oh, and I am neither one of those things.

:kelvin:

handcrafted
9/24/2007, 02:33 PM
Tell you what, Brandi, I'll propose a compromise: I think the Boomer and Sooner costumes (and the people in them) make appropriate basketball mascots, because we can't put the Schooner inside Lloyd Noble. That was the reason for Top Daug in the first place (may the big guy rest in peace). The first generation costumes did look like horsepigs, though. Glad they're being redesigned. In that vein, instead of football pads, how about B-ball attire?

The football team needs nothing but the Schooner. I'm not old enough to remember Lil' Red, but I wouldn't have approved of him much, because our team is not "the Indians" or some racially insensitive version thereof. Nor are we "the Mustangs" or some horse variant. We are the Sooners, a bunch of politically incorrect landthieving white dudes.

We are the Sooners. Our mascot is the Schooner speeding around Owen Field to the sound of the thunder guns, a living display of a bygone era. Has been and always should be.

Thanks for all the hot hard work, to both you and costume Sooner, whoever he/she is.

(P.S. I miss those 60 mph Schooner runs on the old 80s astroturf after a TD...so a RufNek blows out a knee every few years? small price to pay :D).

OklahomaTuba
9/24/2007, 02:47 PM
When did Boomer start riding a Segway???

Boomer.....
9/24/2007, 02:51 PM
When do these new mascots debut?

DarrellZero
9/24/2007, 02:58 PM
Even Top Dawg knew he didn't fit in well!!!

And all along I believed that Top Dawg was just a costume, but now you're tellling me he was real dog? And that he offed himself?

I need a moment.

Boomer01
9/24/2007, 03:12 PM
Well for one thing, the mascots actually do have a lot of fans. We hit it off with kids and their families very well. The Sooner Schooner will not be around forever either. Boomer is actually getting old and runs much slower than Sooner does as you may have noticed when the schooner makes its lap. This leads to many problems including the schooner toppling over again...which would be terrible. I love those ponies. Top Dawg is not coming back, period. Boomer and Sooner (characters) may be all the university has left someday. And the reason we need a mascot is because we have students that want to be a mascot. The reason they are horses is because a walking wagon that waves at the crowd would be just creepy. The characters are getting a makeover as you read this and will be (or should be) ready before the end of football season. I honestly do not know what they will look like.

And you will most certainly see Boomer and Sooner at Baseball games. We go to almost all the sports. There are some of them we don't make it to because it is impossible for one person to be two places at once. I personally will be at the volleyball game this Wednesday night (26th). Come see me!

Sooner, my mascot "brother" has his most recent video posted on Youtube. Please take a look and count how many times you see him do a back flip, it's pretty awesome. I wish I knew how to do that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQvz-3WIKU
-Brandi

DarrellZero
9/24/2007, 03:19 PM
Boomer is actually getting old and runs much slower than Sooner does as you may have noticed when the schooner makes its lap. This leads to many problems including the schooner toppling over again...which would be terrible. I love those ponies. ... Boomer and Sooner (characters) may be all the university has left someday.

What, they're not breeding Shetlands anymore? Please.

No Sooner Schooner? When Stillwater freezes over.

BlondeSoonerGirl
9/24/2007, 03:19 PM
Well, if those ponies aren't retired when they get old like I thought then Boomer must be, like, 137 years old.

:eddie:

OUDoc
9/24/2007, 03:29 PM
Brandi-
Again, no offense to what you do (I may have seen you at the "Autism Speaks walk" a few months ago), I'm sure you're great. However, you could help make the costumes disappear. I've got $20 with your name on it. We're gonna need her help. Ante up, people!

Stoop Dawg
9/24/2007, 03:30 PM
Well, if those ponies aren't retired when they get old like I thought then Boomer must be, like, 137 years old.

:eddie:

Which is why he doesn't get around the field that well anymore. Can't you read?

Brandi, with all due respect, I'm thinking the university might listen to what the fans want. If the fans want Top Dawg back, I bet Top Dawg comes back. Personally, Top Dawg didn't ever do much for me. Especially at football games.

As for the Sooner Schooner, I'm thinking it'll be retired the same year Michigan changes their helmets.

GottaHavePride
9/24/2007, 03:51 PM
Personally, Top Dawg didn't ever do much for me. Especially at football games.

Um, TopDawg was never AT football games, right?

And TopDawg gave me a kidney once.

Stoop Dawg
9/24/2007, 04:05 PM
Um, TopDawg was never AT football games, right?

Well, that would explain it then.

Half a Hundred
9/24/2007, 04:08 PM
Well for one thing, the mascots actually do have a lot of fans. We hit it off with kids and their families very well. The Sooner Schooner will not be around forever either. Boomer is actually getting old and runs much slower than Sooner does as you may have noticed when the schooner makes its lap. This leads to many problems including the schooner toppling over again...which would be terrible. I love those ponies. Top Dawg is not coming back, period. Boomer and Sooner (characters) may be all the university has left someday. And the reason we need a mascot is because we have students that want to be a mascot. The reason they are horses is because a walking wagon that waves at the crowd would be just creepy. The characters are getting a makeover as you read this and will be (or should be) ready before the end of football season. I honestly do not know what they will look like.

And you will most certainly see Boomer and Sooner at Baseball games. We go to almost all the sports. There are some of them we don't make it to because it is impossible for one person to be two places at once. I personally will be at the volleyball game this Wednesday night (26th). Come see me!

Sooner, my mascot "brother" has his most recent video posted on Youtube. Please take a look and count how many times you see him do a back flip, it's pretty awesome. I wish I knew how to do that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQvz-3WIKU
-Brandi

Brandi, first I want to say that I appreciate all the hard work, especially with all the flak you seem to get.

That being said, I know of one thing that I wish y'all had done differently. At OU-texass 2005, that idiot in the bevo costume walked around with a sign with disrespectful text on it, and y'all just stood around. Now, I know you were probably under strict orders not to do anything (wouldn't be surprised if it were from Joe C. himself), but really, had you gone all Donald Duck on that steer's ***, I would have never complained about y'all ever again. I don't think I'm the only one in this category.

So, this year in Dallas, beat the ever living hell out of that punk-*** in the cow costume. The amount of goodwill you'll create in the Boomer/Sooner haters will outweigh whatever consequences you might face. Promise.

:D

LilSooner
9/24/2007, 04:12 PM
Well for one thing, the mascots actually do have a lot of fans. We hit it off with kids and their families very well. The Sooner Schooner will not be around forever either.Boomer is actually getting old and runs much slower than Sooner does as you may have noticed when the schooner makes its lap. This leads to many problems including the schooner toppling over again...which would be terrible. I love those ponies. Top Dawg is not coming back, period. Boomer and Sooner (characters) may be all the university has left someday. And the reason we need a mascot is because we have students that want to be a mascot. The reason they are horses is because a walking wagon that waves at the crowd would be just creepy. The characters are getting a makeover as you read this and will be (or should be) ready before the end of football season. I honestly do not know what they will look like.

-Brandi

First of all you shut your damn mouth! That is blasphemy and you should be ashamed. ASHAMED I SAY. I seriously doubt that this Boomer and Sooner are the original and I am damn sure that the university couldn't find two other white ponies that would do the job just fine.

Secondly as a former All-American cheerleader I completely respect what you do. I just wish that you guys would do it at the basketball games, not football.

9/24/2007, 04:23 PM
Hey Brandi; Bless you for your enthusiasm and willingness to promote OU, but please reread posts #26 and 27, and go find something else to do. BTW, I am neither a young fan, nor a Top Dawg enthusiast, either. I loved the Little Red gig, but that will never be again, due to PC. The horsepigs thing is (mildly)embarrassing to me.

Pigface1
9/24/2007, 04:40 PM
The Billy Sims mascott, or nothing.

StuIsTheMan
9/24/2007, 04:43 PM
Hey if you two start practicing your WWE moves for the next time we play...ugh...UO...and kick his arse on National TV...I'll back ya 100%:D

OU Adonis
9/24/2007, 05:26 PM
This thread is worthless without pics (not of the horsepigs)

Sooner_Havok
9/24/2007, 06:24 PM
The Billy Sims mascott, or nothing.

Second

OklahomaRed
9/24/2007, 08:48 PM
You got my vote if you go WWE on the Bevo/pig and the O duck next time we see their sorry a#$. :D

Doged
9/24/2007, 09:58 PM
A few swift kicks to the jimmy of that freaky Trojan dude would be cool, too. Watch out, though. He might wave his plastic sword at you.

So basically, you can garner a lot of "old dude (and dudette)" support just by beating the hell out of other school's mascots. I'll never love ya', but I'd sure start applauding for you instead of just scowling in your general direction! ;)

I think after the Schooner, the TTech Red Raider is the coolest mascot going. They used to have a very attractive young lady in the costume but I haven't seen them yet this year. I think they should shoot the bell-ringer/jacker guy, though.

Boomer01
9/24/2007, 11:08 PM
Brandi-
Again, no offense to what you do (I may have seen you at the "Autism Speaks walk" a few months ago), I'm sure you're great. However, you could help make the costumes disappear. I've got $20 with your name on it. We're gonna need her help. Ante up, people!

$20 would not even put a dent in the cost of these costumes or in the pride I take in wearing them; which is official OU athletic gear. We are sponsored by Nike and Gatorade just like the football players. And no,I will not shut my mouth. Point that finger some place else because the only ones blaspheming against OU are the ones that would call their own mascot a horsepig You stepped over that line. Have I lashed out at any of you yet? Do I bash things that you are proud of? No. I am not even asking you to even like the mascots. "We will only like you if you beat the crap out of another mascot." I am not even going to pretend that I could beat anyone up. Besides, when "Hook'em" (not Beevo) is trashing our team and we act like we are too tough to deal with something that pathetic, who looks like the looser then? All I ask is that you quit pushing us around and for heaven's sake, grow up. I love our team, and I really enjoy being around the fans. I can't help what the costume looks like. That is not my decision at all.
This is my final post. Because I realize that some, not all of you, but some of you are too pathetic for me to bother with. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Real Sooner fans will move on and love EVERY aspect of the game. On the field, ignore us if you want, just no more harassing please.
Oh yeah, and long live the Sooners!
-Brandi

9/25/2007, 12:40 AM
I guess she's for real, and not just messin' with us. Sad, really. I didn't welcome top dawg, particularly, and I certainly agree with many here that the horsepig thing is quite unnecessary. Buh bye, Brandi

Crucifax Autumn
9/25/2007, 01:42 AM
PErsonally I think we don't need a silly costumed mascot of any sort. We have the Schooner and we have the cheerleaders. That's enough for any crimson-blooded Sooner.

Or maybe we should act like miami and have Donald Duck as our mascot...

Doged
9/25/2007, 02:00 AM
I feel bad that her feelings got hurt, but I still don't like the horsepigs and don't want them representing the Sooners.

But then again, I'm just one old dude with an opinion.

Still woulda' been cool if the horsepigs beat the crap out of the fake taco meat guy, the weird duck and the sissy Trojan dude. Oh, and that plastic cowboy thing, too.

Crucifax Autumn
9/25/2007, 02:04 AM
That would humiliate anyone...*** kicked by a horse pig!

LilSooner
9/25/2007, 05:53 AM
What I think she fails to realize is that just about everyone who posted in this thread stated that they had respect for what she did, its just that we absolutely abhor the costumes in which she does it in.

Period. If we have to have it make them cheer at the basketball games like Top Dawg did, not at football games.

Jacie
9/25/2007, 06:15 AM
well, Boomer1, as you should be able to tell by now the posters on this board are passionate about OU football and all of the associated traditions. These last few years have been kinda hard on us. First, the Gaylord family bought themselves a stadium, which happened to be OUrs in the first place and then had the unmitigated gall to name the damn thing after themselves! And then comes . . . the horsepigs.

Understand, we don't mind having a mascot in fact most of us wanted one. But you see, OUr beloved Little Red was taken from us. In exchange we got the Sooner Schooner, which most considered a fair trade off. The horsepigs were developed strictly as a marketing ploy, however, having nothing to do with OU tradition and ended up looking pretty stupid to boot. Hence, OUr collective distaste towards them. And keep in mind, it is not personal, we don't harbor any grudge towards you or the other spirited student. We know you have the same fervor about OU football as any of us or you wouldn't be doing the mascot thing.

Anyway, that is where we are coming from. Don't expect any slack concerning OUr feelings towards those outfits.

Petro-Sooner
9/25/2007, 08:27 AM
We're pathetic cause we have an opinion that differs from hers. :rolleyes: Thats rich. Death to the cartoons!!!!

OUDoc
9/25/2007, 08:31 AM
$30?

Pigface1
9/25/2007, 09:11 AM
$20 would not even put a dent in the cost of these costumes or in the pride I take in wearing them; which is official OU athletic gear. We are sponsored by Nike and Gatorade just like the football players. And no,I will not shut my mouth. Point that finger some place else because the only ones blaspheming against OU are the ones that would call their own mascot a horsepig You stepped over that line. Have I lashed out at any of you yet? Do I bash things that you are proud of? No. I am not even asking you to even like the mascots. "We will only like you if you beat the crap out of another mascot." I am not even going to pretend that I could beat anyone up. Besides, when "Hook'em" (not Beevo) is trashing our team and we act like we are too tough to deal with something that pathetic, who looks like the looser then? All I ask is that you quit pushing us around and for heaven's sake, grow up. I love our team, and I really enjoy being around the fans. I can't help what the costume looks like. That is not my decision at all.
This is my final post. Because I realize that some, not all of you, but some of you are too pathetic for me to bother with. Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Real Sooner fans will move on and love EVERY aspect of the game. On the field, ignore us if you want, just no more harassing please.
Oh yeah, and long live the Sooners!
-Brandi

Does that mean no pics? :mad:

JohnnyMack
9/25/2007, 09:11 AM
I think the mascots are stupid.

I think they're unnecessary.

I wish they'd give the Ruf-Neks live ammo and shoot on sight orders.

TIA.

SouthFortySooner
9/25/2007, 09:35 AM
Lil used the word, "abhor" to describe the collective feelings of Sooner Fans. I would like to add "ludicrous" to the descriptions of those things that "were" running around.

9/25/2007, 10:54 AM
HEY MODS! Please email this thread to Pres. Boren, and members of the Board of Regents.(except maybe for post #64) Thank you.

Stoop Dawg
9/25/2007, 11:06 AM
Point that finger some place else because the only ones blaspheming against OU are the ones that would call their own mascot a horsepig You stepped over that line.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Real Sooner fans will move on and love EVERY aspect of the game.

I hope that you are not under the impression that in order to be a "real" Sooner fan one must adopt and embrace every hair-brained, half-assed idea that comes out of the OU PR dept. If fact, it's quite the opposite. The OU PR dept should be catering to the likes/desires of the "real" Sooner fans.

All I ask is that you quit pushing us around and for heaven's sake, grow up.

On the field, ignore us if you want, just no more harassing please.

There is no question that no one should be harassed for wearing a costume - no matter how awesome or silly the costume. While I don't have personal experience, I've heard that happens to pretty much everyone. I'm sure Top Dawg received plenty of harassment in his day too. That doesn't make it right, I'm just saying that you probably shouldn't take it personally.

I can't help what the costume looks like. That is not my decision at all.

In that case, I'm having trouble seeing why you appear to be so offended by people not liking them.

ruf/nekdad
9/25/2007, 11:55 AM
I loved the Little Red gig, but that will never be again, due to PC. The horsepigs thing is (mildly)embarrassing to me.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.":cool:

soonerx
9/25/2007, 12:19 PM
Let me first step into my flame-retardant suit and then say add me to the minority of fans that actually sort of like the so-called "horsepigs" (their latest reincarnation, anyways).

When I was a kid I was jealous of other teams that had the "cartoony", anthropomorphized mascots, and even when I got older and came to appreciate the tradition and uniqueness of the Sooner Schooner, I guess a part of that childish wish never left me. Needless to say I was rather elated when they came up with costumed Boomer and Sooner. Version 1 was rather silly looking, but v2 is tolerable for me, and hopefully v3 will start to resemble actual horses a little more.

I'm friends with a guy that used to be Top Dawg and I always thought he was rather silly (the costume, not my friend) and didn't really fit in w/ OU tradition. At least the costumed Boomer and Sooner are modeled after the Schooner ponies, which shows they're trying to still incorporate existing tradition into them and not completely pulling the idea out of someone's arse (well the first versions looked like they may have been.. literally). I also like the idea of their being two of them, which also adds a uniqueness to them different from other team mascots.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, however unpopular it may be. I imagine I'll get negative spek for it (still really haven't figured out exactly what that's for since I'm new here), but figured I'd play devil's advocate and put it out there that not all fans are completely disgusted with a little change. However I will say that I understand and appreciate the other side of the argument as well, and I would be totally PO'd if they got rid of the Schooner completely.

frankensooner
9/25/2007, 12:21 PM
I think I like the hotdog costume in "Accepted" better than the horsepigs.

Man, I think it is great she is dedicated to being a mascot, but geez, grow some thicker skin.

Oh, and to the previous poster, Top Dawg was based on OU's first offical mascot "Mex" the dog.

soonerx
9/25/2007, 12:28 PM
Oh, and to the previous poster, Top Dawg was based on OU's first offical mascot "Mex" the dog.

Ah, you're right... I think I remember hearing about that now. I guess it was just the top hat that got to me. I was always expecting him to pull a cane out and start tap-dancing.

frankensooner
9/25/2007, 12:29 PM
Ah, you're right... I think I remember hearing about that now. I guess it was just the top hat that got to me. I was always expecting him to pull a cane out and start tap-dancing.

Now that would be cool AND classy. ;)

101sooner
9/25/2007, 03:32 PM
Maybe I'm losing my mind, but I thought that Top Dawg actually started out as an OU wrestling mascot.

JohnnyMack
9/25/2007, 03:37 PM
I imagine I'll get negative spek for it (still really haven't figured out exactly what that's for since I'm new here)

If you amass enough spek, sas will trade you sex for it.

Petro-Sooner
9/25/2007, 03:37 PM
I thought Tubbs made it up cause we were tops dogs of the Big 8. I could be wrong.

soonerx
9/25/2007, 03:50 PM
If you amass enough spek, sas will trade you sex for it.

Ah, ok. I guess that explains all the people on here with negative spek then.

frankensooner
9/25/2007, 03:56 PM
They are just really bad at it. Like Lid. ;)

Landthief 1972
9/25/2007, 05:19 PM
I really think they've made some positive changes with the outfits. When the originals were debuted, the words "horsepigs" flowed from my mouth as well. But jeez guys, there is a niche for them. It's not like they're going to take the real Boomer and Sooner out back and shoot them and them feed their carcasses to the dogs.

I for one am willing to wait and see if the changes are an improvement, and I damn sure have more class than to punch, shove, spit or otherwise act like a jackass to someone trying to inject a little more spirit into the game. At least they're participating, unlike half of the corpses they wheel into the game that yell at you to sit down every other play. Oh, and they're 500x better than the paper-headed child molester-lookin' Pistol Pete mascot.

INCOMING NEG SPEK! DUCK AND COVER!

mdklatt
9/25/2007, 05:28 PM
horsepigs = JINX, plain and simple

9/25/2007, 07:13 PM
horsepigs = JINX, plain and simpleOMG...NO...not another one of those things!!! Put it out of your mind, and maybe there will be no curse!

handcrafted
9/25/2007, 08:32 PM
And Oh By the Way,

his name was spelled T-O-P D-A-U-G.

Dangit you people, pay attention! :D

Doged
9/25/2007, 08:45 PM
Maybe I'm just a purist, but part of the reason I don't like them (the horsepigs) is that the ponies, Boomer and Sooner, aren't OUr mascot and never were. They are part of the mascot, but the mascot is the schooner pulled by Boomer and Sooner and representing the mode of travel for both Boomers and Sooners during the settling of much of Oklahoma.

Having just the cartoon ponies is like saxet trotting out a regular 'ole cow in place of Bevo. Sure, it's still just taco meat, but the school's mascot is a longhorn, not a Holstein. Or lOSUr trotting out a real, normal cowboy in place of the huge-headed leviathon bobble-head thing. Sure, it'd be a cowboy, but the school's mascot is supposed to be some incredibly retarded looking mass of paper and plastic, not a cowboy.

Discarding half the mascot is not something I'm in favor of.

PLaw
9/25/2007, 09:31 PM
Do you suppose enough fans have complained about the horse-pigs that they have been relegated to a lower profile. I sure hope so.

We need an upgrade or just do away with them, period. Does anybody have a suggestion?

If we went back to Lil Red, then we would never hear the end of it from the PC crowd. Personally, I think our State tribes would be darn proud.

How bout we upgrade the RufNeks, too? Not that I like anything orange, but the Silver Spurs are slightly more classy and probably have more prestige on campus. Still, you can't beat the Schooner with the RufNek shotguns going off.

BOOMER
PLaw

BigDeezy
9/25/2007, 10:14 PM
The mascots are really for the kids.

Sometimes even the kids inside us grown adults can appreciate the fun. Obviously the kid inside most of you posting here is long gone and nowhere to be found.

You just don't have to ruin it for everyone else, do you? If you don't get into it, just ignore it.

9/26/2007, 12:38 AM
The mascots are really for the kids.

Sometimes even the kids inside us grown adults can appreciate the fun. Obviously the kid inside most of you posting here is long gone and nowhere to be found.

You just don't have to ruin it for everyone else, do you? If you don't get into it, just ignore it.Nice try. See post #82 & 83.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/26/2007, 12:43 AM
If you don't get into it, just ignore it.

How am I supposed to ignore something that supposedly represents my beloved alma mater, but is so ridiculous and stupid-looking that it makes me cringe with embarrassment every time I see it on TV supposedly representing my beloved alma mater?

Crucifax Autumn
9/26/2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah, it may be for the kids, but all the kids I know like COOL things, TOUGH things, MANLY things.

As for the PC thing, being mainly Cherokee I understand, but at the same time I don't. Most of the "protested" native mascots are cartoonish, silly, or portray a proud people as savages. Why not an updated Red, created by some Native sooner fans, with a tough image, but not a savage one? Kids would love that too.

Personally though, I'd like to see something that reflects the same image as the Schooner. I have no idea what, but that's the problem isn't it? We have the most unique, state related mascot/symbol of any school but it doesn't lend itself to a cutesy mascot or even a tough one.

It's an Indian wrapped in a wagon shrouded in a horsepig I guess you could say!

9/26/2007, 01:02 AM
How am I supposed to ignore something that supposedly represents my beloved alma mater, but is so ridiculous and stupid-looking that it makes me cringe with embarrassment every time I see it on TV supposedly representing my beloved alma mater?This is the problem we all have with the horsepigs.

Crucifax Autumn
9/26/2007, 01:07 AM
Not to mention I expect 'em to break into "I love you. you love me" every time I see 'em

SouthFortySooner
9/26/2007, 12:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think at this point the stadium can be filled with people who want to see a football game. If you want your kids pictures with goofy, there is Disney.

lumberlady
9/26/2007, 12:21 PM
You students wearing the mullet headed pig horses need to not take it personal that we do not like the mascots. It has nothing to do with you. We as OU fans and especially me because I am old school, we just can't stand them. The game is definitely alot more enjoyable without them on the sidelines. I agree with a previous post we don't need anything else.
We are fine with the schooner and the cheering squad. Sometimes you just need to leave things alone!
Boomer Sooner
LL

ruf/nekdad
9/26/2007, 12:53 PM
You students wearing the mullet headed pig horses need to not take it personal that we do not like the mascots. It has nothing to do with you. We as OU fans and especially me because I am old school, we just can't stand them. The game is definitely alot more enjoyable without them on the sidelines. I agree with a previous post we don't need anything else.
We are fine with the schooner and the cheering squad. Sometimes you just need to leave things alone!
Boomer Sooner
LL
[hairGel] Leave things alone! What about their dam's ...dam's of pony's!
Makes me want to puke.

soonerx
9/26/2007, 03:05 PM
This thread is worthless without pics!

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1244/n9627949333100322630jb3.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9461/n9622707308751904416ei9.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8255/n9612713314938691189km8.jpg

mdklatt
9/26/2007, 03:11 PM
If you're trying to look like a badass, it would be best to remove the horsepig heads from the shot. Especially the one with blue eyes and long lashes.

Petro-Sooner
9/26/2007, 09:25 PM
BWWHAHAHAHAHA

Boarder
9/26/2007, 10:34 PM
4-0, 61 points a game. Keep them in the club seats.

birddog
9/26/2007, 10:34 PM
"puke. that's a funny word. can i use that?"