PDA

View Full Version : utah pass????

ouwapiti
9/9/2007, 05:49 PM
why is the 'utah pass' no longer in our repertoire????...it sure was effective a few years ago......i honestly dont recall the last time we ran it ....ou also used to run a few 'gadget' plays but those seem to have disappeared the last few years...

Frozen Sooner
9/9/2007, 05:57 PM
Gadget plays like an end-around pass?

We don't do the shuttle pass any longer because we don't run the same kind of offense we did from 1999-2001. Our line splits are closer together and we're not spreading the field as much, which makes the shuttle pass harder to run.

ouwapiti
9/9/2007, 06:20 PM
doesnt make any difference what 'type' of offense you run......the play can still be run effectively........the play got the name 'utah pass' many moons ago when the spread offense wasnt even in existence

Newbomb Turk
9/9/2007, 06:25 PM
I remember running it more when Q was here. I don't know, maybe it's a personnel thing.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/9/2007, 06:45 PM
I don't know what the Utah play is, so if someone would explain it, that would be sweet. I miss the end around where the qb hands it to the reciever coming around, with Iglesias and Johnson's elusiveness, i think it could be lethal.

Newbomb Turk
9/9/2007, 06:47 PM
I don't know what the Utah play is, so if someone would explain it, that would be sweet.
shuttle pass, shuffle pass, shovel pass - whatever you call it. QB pitches it forward to the RB.

OKLA21FAN
9/9/2007, 06:48 PM
why is the 'utah pass' no longer in our repertoire????.

The State of Utah reclaimed their patent on that play.

I think Stoops/Boren should scout out some of the Ute practices and make sure they are no longer using the Oklahoma Drill!!! :pop:

GottaHavePride
9/9/2007, 07:03 PM
I remember running it more when Mike Leach was here. I don't know, maybe it's a coaching/offensive scheme thing.

Fixed.

Combine Mike Rich's comment about our offense using narrower splits on the O-line with Mike Leach's love of the shuffle pass and Leach's offenses' characteristic "huge splits on the O-line" (as noted by every NCAA football commentator ever) and you have your answer.

Newbomb Turk
9/10/2007, 06:36 AM
I'm not so sure about the Leach thing. We still ran it a bunch when Nate and Q were here.

yermom
9/10/2007, 09:08 AM
I don't know what the Utah play is, so if someone would explain it, that would be sweet. I miss the end around where the qb hands it to the reciever coming around, with Iglesias and Johnson's elusiveness, i think it could be lethal.

we seem to just use a RB running out of the slot lately