PDA

View Full Version : check out this quote from Miami db Phillips..is he on crack?

usmc-sooner
9/9/2007, 12:03 PM
“I believe we have the better athletes, but they had no penalties. They’re a disciplined football team, and that’ll win every time.”
Miami safety Kenny Phillips

uh Kenny off the top of my head
our first offensive play started with a penalty, we had a few false starts, a holding, personal foul late hite, 2 interferences on your only scoring drive that wasn't the result of a turnover.

Newbomb Turk
9/9/2007, 12:08 PM
I think each team had 6 penalties.

hink4769
9/9/2007, 12:10 PM
he's just bitter shannon took away their guns so he takes a shot at him by making it seem their team is undisciplined

usmc-sooner
9/9/2007, 12:13 PM
maybe just maybe it was me but I didn't see them having better athletes. If they did they didn't have them matched up on Kelly and Gresham.

Texas Golfer
9/9/2007, 12:16 PM
“I believe we have the better athletes, but they had no penalties. They’re a disciplined football team, and that’ll win every time.”

our first offensive play started with a penalty, we had a few false starts, a holding, personal foul late hite, 2 interferences on your only scoring drive that wasn't the result of a turnover.

I guess it is true...you can't fix stupid.

SoonerBOI
9/9/2007, 12:18 PM
He's on cra_k.:D

soonersn2007
9/9/2007, 12:19 PM
That guy is totally delusional, and to get respect you have to give respect. Which is why Miami has none in the college football world.

Soonermagik
9/9/2007, 12:22 PM
He is an arrogant fool, I watched Kelly run by him for several of those big plays.

DenverSooner751
9/9/2007, 12:24 PM
maybe just maybe it was me but I didn't see them having better athletes. If they did they didn't have them matched up on Kelly and Gresham.

They had their best DB athletes matched up one on one with Kelly and he torched their @$$es 3 times at least. Heck, even when they tried to play a bit deeper zone he still split the seam and caught one for a good gain.

I would agree that Miami has excellent athletes on the D side of the ball. I feel that it's more of a testimony to how good our athletes are on the O side of the ball this year. Especially in the Loadholt vs Campbell battle. That was impressive. I heard an analyst on TV refer to the OU O-Line as a group of "Road Graders" and if you ask me, that sums it up.

Cam
9/9/2007, 12:25 PM
If he wants to say they have better athletes, fine. We have better football players.

DenverSooner751
9/9/2007, 12:26 PM
If he wants to say they have better athletes, fine. We have better football players.

And better coaches.

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2007, 12:27 PM
And more sense.

OUster
9/9/2007, 12:32 PM
He's on cra_k.

You must have not read Miami's new rules for the year...Shannon said they can't do crack this year:texan:

Scott D
9/9/2007, 12:34 PM
Texas Wide Receiver Limas Sweed

;)

StoopTroup
9/9/2007, 12:40 PM
He's gonna make an excellent PeeWee Flag Football Coach someday.

GottaHavePride
9/9/2007, 12:44 PM
"They're not better than us. They're just not." - TFRW.

BoogercountySooner
9/9/2007, 12:54 PM
Nothing brings team unity like turning your gun's in at the door!

Veritas
9/9/2007, 01:28 PM
To answer the original question....He plays for Miami. Ergo he is on crack.

oumartin
9/9/2007, 04:18 PM
again yet another reason I see them being more thuggish with Shannon running the show. I simply believe their days and FSU days of being powerhouses are all but over

stoopified
9/9/2007, 05:28 PM

our first offensive play started with a penalty, we had a few false starts, a holding, personal foul late hite, 2 interferences on your only scoring drive that wasn't the result of a turnover.Since we are talking UM here,I assume the crack question is rhetorical?

RacerX
9/9/2007, 05:46 PM
I listened to the Miami post game show on XM. Nobody thought Miami was better....at any position.

They mocked the callers asking what the team had to do win the ACC.

It was great.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/9/2007, 05:49 PM
Have you seen the ACC, Baylor might have a shot if they were in the ACC

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/9/2007, 05:51 PM
again yet another reason I see them being more thuggish with Shannon running the show. I simply believe their days and FSU days of being powerhouses are all but overShannon is supposed to have lots of great recruits lined up for the '08 class, like we do. But, if he doesn't produce within a couple of yrs, Urban Meyer will get ALL the good ones out of Florida.(Bobby Bowden needs to quit, and NOT name a successor)

ouwapiti
9/9/2007, 05:51 PM
maybe the humidity got to him and has clouded his pea brain...

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/9/2007, 05:58 PM
From what i can tell Kenny Phillips couldn't cover high school recievers let alone Malcolm Kelly

Sooner47
9/9/2007, 06:27 PM

He plays for the Miami Hurricanes and you ask if he's on crack -- is that a rhetorical question? :pop:

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/9/2007, 06:42 PM
To be fair guys, Miami players use "cocaine" which i believe is different than crack ;)

hink4769
9/9/2007, 07:25 PM
(Bobby Bowden needs to quit, and NOT name a successor)
Maybe thats why they got rid of Jeff Bowden (well the other reason besides the fact that a corpse would be a more competent playcaller). If Bobby named him successor the 'Noles fans would committ mass suicide.

PLaw
9/9/2007, 07:30 PM
Miami safety Kenny Phillips.

Is Kenny the one Malcom burned for the long TD's?? If so, then there is no doubt the better athletes were wearing crimson.

BOOMER
PLaw

Scott D
9/9/2007, 08:30 PM
again yet another reason I see them being more thuggish with Shannon running the show. I simply believe their days and FSU days of being powerhouses are all but over

I don't know....when that one guy hit Bradford barely out of bounds and got flagged for it, they showed Shannon ripping that guy a new one for that stupid play. Had it been Coker's team, there's a 70% chance nobody is ripping the kid for what he did.

I think he has the potential to turn things around there, and I'd still be nervous about the return visit in 2 years.

oumartin
9/9/2007, 08:39 PM
maybe so Scott D but why allow your team to continually run their mouth after getting spanked? and the talk prior to the game showed OU little respect

and was he ripping the player or rippin on the official cuz he didn't agree with the call?

Scott D
9/9/2007, 09:32 PM
maybe so Scott D but why allow your team to continually run their mouth after getting spanked? and the talk prior to the game showed OU little respect

and was he ripping the player or rippin on the official cuz he didn't agree with the call?

well he was in the player's face back on the bench, so I think it's safe to assume he wasn't ripping on the referee.

oumartin
9/9/2007, 09:44 PM
okay, all i could go by was the guys on tv and they said they were furious over the call.

Zbird
9/9/2007, 09:49 PM

our first offensive play started with a penalty, we had a few false starts, a holding, personal foul late hite, 2 interferences on your only scoring drive that wasn't the result of a turnover. Write it off as a testament to the quality of Miami Ganja

OUDoc
9/9/2007, 09:52 PM
That quote sums up everything that has been wrong with Miami football in the last 20 years.

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2007, 10:13 PM
I think if you give either of those teams an NFL caliber QB, they would be right back to their habit of winning 10-11 games every season, but that's just my opinion

hink4769
9/9/2007, 10:22 PM
I think if you give either of those teams an NFL caliber QB, they would be right back to their habit of winning 10-11 games every season, but that's just my opinion
it has to go deeper than that. chris rix, xavier lee, wyatt sexton, drew weatherford, brock berlin, derrick crudup, kyle wright, and kirby freeman cant all be completley crappy quarterbacks (well they all are but my point is that a bunch of them were highly regarded coming out of high school and never developed to their potential because of the bad coaching staffs). these were teams that from the mid-80's to about 2002, excluding miami 1993-1998, could put in their waterboys at qb and win 10 or 11 games.

Scott D
9/10/2007, 10:47 AM
it has to go deeper than that. chris rix, xavier lee, wyatt sexton, drew weatherford, brock berlin, derrick crudup, kyle wright, and kirby freeman cant all be completley crappy quarterbacks (well they all are but my point is that a bunch of them were highly regarded coming out of high school and never developed to their potential because of the bad coaching staffs). these were teams that from the mid-80's to about 2002, excluding miami 1993-1998, could put in their waterboys at qb and win 10 or 11 games.

It's about development and progression with those quarterbacks as well. Have any of them improved much if at all since they first took over as the quarterback for their team?

That's a hot topic on the sports radio waves up here in Michigan today, the fact that Chad Henne (ranked 2nd in his class behind Bomar I believe) hasn't progressed much beyond the quarterback that took snaps for Michigan his freshman year, and was more bailed out by the players surrounding him than anything. You could also consider that based on the numbers, Bomar is playing like the same redshirt freshman that took snaps for us back in 2005. It could be successfully argued that he hasn't progressed much since he was a highly heralded high school recruit as well.

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
9/10/2007, 11:03 AM
Have you seen the ACC, Baylor might have a shot if they were in the ACC

Well what does rest of the Conf. have to do to see to it that Baylor does in fact head east into ACC country?

Baylor to ACC, UM(or any other take ur pick) to SEC, ARK to Big XII, lets renew some old rivalaries. Some more blood, and maybe some blood that might just beat texass.

Sounds good to me...

JohnnyMack
9/10/2007, 11:09 AM
I haven't heard Randy Shannon say one positive thing about OU and the way we played. Only pointing out his teams shortcomings. Did I miss the part where he gave us props for breaking off our foot in their ***?

toast
9/10/2007, 11:31 AM
I haven't heard Randy Shannon say one positive thing about OU and the way we played. Only pointing out his teams shortcomings. Did I miss the part where he gave us props for breaking off our foot in their ***?

NORMAN -- Miami came into Saturday's game at Oklahoma well aware of the Sooners' No. 5 national ranking and All-America candidates at wide receiver and defensive back.

And though the Hurricanes knew what was coming, they still couldn't stop OU.

"We knew Oklahoma was a great team, and we knew we had to come with our A-game," said Miami wide receiver Darnell Jenkins. "We give them their props because they were the better team today."

Miami head coach Randy Shannon said the Hurricanes' lopsided 51-13 loss was a result of poor communication, but gave OU coach Bob Stoops credit for a great game plan and execution.
"What Coach Stoops and his staff have put together is a wonderful job," Shannon said, "and they did a wonderful thing today."
Freshman quarterback Sam Bradford torched the Miami secondary and safety Kenny Phillips, a preseason candidate for the Jim Thorpe Award for the top defensive back in the country. Bradford finished with 205 yards and five touchdowns.

"He did a great job," Shannon said. "He got the ball where it was supposed to be, and the coaching staff did a great job of calling the plays. Hats off to him."

JohnnyMack
9/10/2007, 11:32 AM
TY.

mwmcl
9/10/2007, 11:33 AM
I'm pretty sure we'll hear basically the same pre-game and post-game comments in a few years. Unless they recruit a quality Offensive Lineman or five in the next couple of years... it'll be same song, different venue.

And by that time, Shannon might be coaching for his job.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/11/2007, 01:02 AM
You also have to look at Florida St.'s and Miami's offensive line and see why their qb's arent developing. I saw at least 5 or 6 times where English just bulled the tackle over and didn't slow his momentum down...same goes for John Williams. Now will Miami see many teams with the power, speed combinations of our defensive line. Probably not, look at that goal line stand...the d-line was in the backfield and if you are going to compete for National Titles, your O-Line has to blow people off the line. You put Matt Leinart or Sam Bradford behind the same offensive line and see how calm and composed and how much they develop