PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Weight

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2007, 12:16 AM
So, I'm in desperate need of a bit of weight but can't seem to gain any.
My roommate does a bit of body building and ****, so he talked me into getting one of these big *** jugs of protein drink powder stuff to build body mass.

I got that yesterday and have been drinking a glass of that stuff mixed with whole milk twice a day. I've also been taking a supplemental vitamin (never done that before) and trying to eat a little better.

Is this a formula for success or am I wasting my time? I also my start exercising a little. I was thinking of taking up jogging.

Scott D
9/9/2007, 12:32 AM
quit taking midol when you feel bloated and you wouldn't lose that water weight.

Frozen Sooner
9/9/2007, 12:37 AM
Don't exercise. Eat junk food.

Worked for me.

Scott D
9/9/2007, 12:40 AM
on a more serious note SicEm, taking that stuff as shakes doesn't mean a damn thing if you aren't lifting. The concept is to boost your amino acids in order to increase the results of attempting to build muscle mass. IF you are planning to drink those shakes and sit on your *** reading Fred Thompson press releases, you're better off using the Mike Rich weight gain plan.

Ike
9/9/2007, 12:46 AM
on a more serious note SicEm, taking that stuff as shakes doesn't mean a damn thing if you aren't lifting. The concept is to boost your amino acids in order to increase the results of attempting to build muscle mass. IF you are planning to drink those shakes and sit on your *** reading Fred Thompson press releases, you're better off using the Mike Rich weight gain plan.

bingo.

There was a guy on my college baseball team who saw what kind of results some of our guys were getting with shakes and stuff and decided to try them himself. Only problem is that the other guys were lifting and he was a lazy bastage. He did put on weight...but maybe 5% of that was muscle. maybe.

King Crimson
9/9/2007, 12:48 AM
swimming. though, i'll confess i'm more on the late night hoagies and beer plan the last month.

Scott D
9/9/2007, 12:49 AM
swimming. though, i'll confess i'm more on the late night hoagies and beer plan the last month.

damned hippy! ;)

Czar Soonerov
9/9/2007, 12:50 AM
HGH

http://toonrefugee.com/images/barry-amphetamine.gif

worked for Barry

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2007, 01:46 AM
Just eating junk food doesn't do a damned thign for me. I burn it off doing absolutely nothing apparently.

Anyway, I won't swim again. This sounds crazy but...
Swimming was my sport -- I was one hell of a g-damned swimmer back in the day. I wont' swim now because (this sounds really really crazy) I'm not nearly as good as I once was. In fact, I'm so damned out of shape that I'd probably be hanging off the ropes praying for death after just a 25. I won't swim again because I'd have to do it at the SLC pool and nobody there you see knows how good I used to be. Therefore, anyone watching me might assume that I'm not nearly as good a swimmer as I actually am. That makes me uncomfortable. I wouldn't mind swimming again with my old teammates or people I competed against, but I'd be humiliated doing it in front of others.

Anyway, jogging sounds alright. My intention isn't to build muscles really it's just to add some bulk. Muscles would be fine but I just need to add a bit of girth and I'm hoping this plan does that.

proud gonzo
9/9/2007, 02:11 AM
Just eating junk food doesn't do a damned thign for me. I burn it off doing absolutely nothing apparently.

Swimming was my sport -- I was one hell of a g-damned swimmer back in the day. I wont' swim now because (this sounds really really crazy) I'm not nearly as good as I once was. In fact, I'm so damned out of shape that I'd probably be hanging off the ropes praying for death after just a 25. I won't swim again because I'd have to do it at the SLC pool and nobody there you see knows how good I used to be. Therefore, anyone watching me might assume that I'm not nearly as good a swimmer as I actually am. That makes me uncomfortable. I wouldn't mind swimming again with my old teammates or people I competed against, but I'd be humiliated doing it in front of others.

Anyway, jogging sounds alright. My intention isn't to build muscles really it's just to add some bulk. Muscles would be find but I just need to add a bit of girth and I'm hoping this plan does that.

hmm...
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2010242&postcount=12
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1978203&postcount=49

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2007, 02:13 AM
hmm...
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2010242&postcount=12
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1978203&postcount=49
I didn't say I didn't like girth on me!

oumartin
9/9/2007, 02:31 AM
get pregnant!

;)

proud gonzo
9/9/2007, 02:47 AM
he'd have to get laid for that ;)

AlbqSooner
9/9/2007, 08:03 AM
Turn 50. Puts the weight on you right away. Almost guaranteed.

SoonerGirl06
9/9/2007, 09:15 AM
Yep... drink the protein shake and workout and the weight will come. But you'll be in much better shape than gaining weight through junk food.

When you're older and your metabolism slows down, your body will appreciate you by staying healthy and doing things the right way when you were young.

Howzit
9/9/2007, 09:29 AM

You might surprise yourself. Sure, you won't be doing 8k to 10k meter workouts or sets of 100's/200's, but if you reel in the expectations you may find that it comes back quicker than you think.

I started back when I was around 35. At first, I just did 3 500's, each without stopping and with a few minutes in between. Once I felt ok with that it becam a couple of 1000's, and eventually I incorporated a few sets in. Never wasted any time on kick sets (I always hated those anyway) and really just do freestyle to this day.

Give it a try, you may even find a Masters program, meet a nice *gasp* girl swimmer, settle down, have a school of minnows and have to attend all those horrid swim meets just like your own parents did.

Jerk
9/9/2007, 09:29 AM
Get married.

Scott D
9/9/2007, 11:43 AM
You might surprise yourself. Sure, you won't be doing 8k to 10k meter workouts or sets of 100's/200's, but if you reel in the expectations you may find that it comes back quicker than you think.

I started back when I was around 35. At first, I just did 3 500's, each without stopping and with a few minutes in between. Once I felt ok with that it becam a couple of 1000's, and eventually I incorporated a few sets in. Never wasted any time on kick sets (I always hated those anyway) and really just do freestyle to this day.

Give it a try, you may even find a Masters program, meet a nice *gasp* girl swimmer, settle down, have a school of minnows and have to attend all those horrid swim meets just like your own parents did.

c'mon Howzy, we're talking about SicEm here. ;)

GottaHavePride
9/9/2007, 01:14 PM
So, you'd be more embarrassed to look like a slow, out of shape swimmer in front of people you don't know than to look like a slow, out of shape swimmer in front of people you DO know? If I were the kind to get embarrassed about crap like that, I'd be FAR more embarrassed for my old teammates to find out how out-of-shape I had become. People you don't know will probably just think "Hey, good for that dude, he's working to get in shape."

Cam
9/9/2007, 01:25 PM
Somebody needs to archive this for 10-15 years. TIA

StoopTroup
9/9/2007, 01:44 PM
Get a room mate of the opposite sex that can cook.

You might find that she also has needs.

YWIA

:pop:

TUSooner
9/9/2007, 02:46 PM
BEER

TMcGee86
9/9/2007, 04:13 PM
Protein shakes aren't going to do anything unless you are working out.

You need carbs if you want to put on weight. Protein alone does nothing especially if you are not working out regularly.

Add oats to your shakes, at least a cup at a time. And make sure you always drink one right before bed.

GottaHavePride
9/9/2007, 07:08 PM
A better question to me... why are you in "desperate need" of some extra weight?

sooner_born_1960
9/9/2007, 07:13 PM
TUSooner knows everything. I gained about 30 pounds my first semester at college. Beer and junk food.

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2007, 07:15 PM
Well, I guess I'm not really in "desperate need" as that is mostly hyperbole, but I am too damned skinny and I typically feel healthier when I manage to put a bit of weight on.

Just eating carbs and junk food hasn't worked for me since that's basically been my diet the previous 25 years. I still can't gain weight. I'm 25 now so I figured my metabolism would be slowing down but it hasn't

GottaHavePride
9/9/2007, 07:20 PM
You'll feel healthier if you work out. Your actual weight is unimportant.

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2007, 07:20 PM

Most of that is exactly what I'd do if I had a nice private pool to work out in. I still love being in the water, but I'm too damned self-conscious. Although, I can't say whether or not I'd be doing any 10k workouts. I can't imagine doing anything more than 3k, but then again right now I can't even imagine doing a 500 and I was a long distance swimmer.

You know, your last idea isn't too bad really. My extreme "fall back" position is teaching government/history, and coaching swimming. A house full of minnows and a hot little mermaid sound pretty damned good.

Petro-Sooner
9/9/2007, 09:54 PM
BEER

Worked for me. I did the wieght gain crap when I was younger. Biggest waste of money ever!!

OUinFLA
9/9/2007, 10:12 PM

this sounds amazingly like your sex life, so lets try this out...

Anyway, I won't have sex again. This sounds crazy but...
Sex was my sport -- I was one hell of a lover back in the day. I wont' have sex now because (this sounds really really crazy) I'm not nearly as good as I once was. In fact, I'm so damned out of shape that I'd probably be hanging off the ropes praying for death after just 25 seconds. I won't have sex again because I'd have to do it at the SLC pool and nobody there you see knows how good I used to be. Therefore, anyone watching me might assume that I'm not nearly as good a lover as I actually am. That makes me uncomfortable. I wouldn't mind having sex again with SicEmEx or people I competed against, but I'd be humiliated doing it in front of others.

how'd that work out?

proud gonzo
9/9/2007, 10:34 PM
i don't think I've ever seen SicEm's absurdity so clearly illustrated

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2007, 10:36 PM
i don't think I've ever seen SicEm's absurdity so clearly illustrated
By which part?

proud gonzo
9/9/2007, 10:56 PM
by the post which preceded mine.

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2007, 11:00 PM
by the post which preceded mine.
Does that make you think less of me?

SelmaBamaFan
9/9/2007, 11:01 PM
hehe

StoopTroup
9/9/2007, 11:03 PM
I ate some of those "Turtles" while watching TV awhile ago.

I feel heavier now.

http://img.nextag.com/image/Nestle-Turtles-24-ct/1/000/000/787/404/78740460.jpg

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2007, 11:06 PM
Here's what I'm using. Anyone tried it?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/Windows-1252BSU1HMDAwNjguanBn.jpg

StoopTroup
9/9/2007, 11:09 PM
If your gonna get that stuff to work....

Your going to need to buy yourself some bookends.

SelmaBamaFan
9/9/2007, 11:09 PM
Look on the back, how many calories per serving does it have?

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2007, 11:14 PM
Look on the back, how many calories per serving does it have?
130 per scoop. I have no idea if that's a lot or not.

SelmaBamaFan
9/9/2007, 11:17 PM
I had a buddy that was taking a protein supplement that had around 300-400 calories per serving. He took it twice a day.

He didnt work out while he was taking it. Long story short, he got fat as hell.

proud gonzo
9/9/2007, 11:19 PM
Does that make you think less of me?no, I just found it incredibly ironic. and amusing.

Ike
9/9/2007, 11:20 PM
I had a buddy that was taking a protein supplement that had around 300-400 calories per serving. He took it twice a day.

He didnt work out while he was taking it. Long story short, he got fat as hell.

Beer and pizza is far better way to achieve that goal.

SelmaBamaFan
9/9/2007, 11:20 PM

That's how i achieved it :D

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2007, 11:21 PM
But as I've indicated, that's more or less my diet now and I'm not gaining an ounce.

proud gonzo
9/9/2007, 11:22 PM
But as I've indicated, that's more or less my diet now and I'm not gaining an ounce.yeah, maybe if you had a healthier diet you'd feel better without having to arbitrarily gain weight. I don't understand that line of thinking anyway.

SelmaBamaFan
9/9/2007, 11:23 PM
Seriously though, if you want to gain weight via protein you need to do some resistance training. Joggin just aint gonna cut it.

SicEmBaylor
9/9/2007, 11:24 PM
yeah, maybe if you had a healthier diet you'd feel better without having to arbitrarily gain weight. I don't understand that line of thinking anyway.
I bet there are lot of things you don't understand about my thinking. That's why you're a woman and I'm a man. ;)

SelmaBamaFan
9/9/2007, 11:26 PM
ut oh...

tommieharris91
9/10/2007, 01:14 AM
I bet there are lot of things you don't understand about my thinking. That's why you're a woman and I'm a man. ;)

Something tells me you think a lot more along PG's lines than many males on this board.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/10/2007, 06:32 AM
My Dad drank Serious Mass after he was diagnosed with cancer. It was basically his diet for two years:
http://www.musclesurf.com/serious-mass12lb.html

You say you're not swimming because people at the pool don't know how good you used to be. If you think you suck it looks like that would be the perfect place to swim.

Viking Kitten
9/10/2007, 08:03 AM

Seeing the words "I'm a man" coming from Sicem just makes me giggle like a Japanese schoolgirl.

proud gonzo
9/10/2007, 08:15 AM
I bet there are lot of things you don't understand about my thinking. That's why you're a woman and I'm a man. ;)dude, I've never understood ANYTHING about your thinking.

Preservation Parcels
9/10/2007, 09:05 AM
Some women appreciate lean men. My sister-in-law adores my brother, and he's been 142 lbs. and 6'2" since high school. My sons are tall and lanky, too, and they have admirers a-plenty.

If you ever enjoyed swimming, please swim. Don't give a thought about anybody else. If people are watching, they'll enjoy seeing you having a good time doing what you like. Swimming is a great life-long sport that can keep you healthy and in shape long after other jocks quit to nurse their injuries and watch tv. Put your skillz to good use.

Confidence, health, and joy are very attractive qualities, SicEm. Bring it! :D

IB4OU2
9/10/2007, 09:23 AM

Come on Siccum listen to Howzit, look what it did for his swim mates and you might meet someone like he did.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6406/swimmer38yv.jpg

frankensooner
9/10/2007, 09:40 AM
By far the tastiest shakes are the Protoplex from Vitamin World. They are meal replacement shakes.

You really should consider doing Body For Life. It really works. It makes fat guys and gals thin and muscular and thin guys and gals muscular.

You have to get six meals in a day, protien-heavy, and work out. www.bodyforlife.com

Check it out.

soonerinabilene
9/10/2007, 10:01 AM
Just heard on the radio this morning that sumo wrestlers dont eat breakfast. This causes the metabolism to slow down, therefore making them gain weight more quickly. Seems weird that skipping a meal would make you gain weight, but sumo wrestlers seem like guys who know what they are doing.

royalfan5
9/10/2007, 10:36 AM
Here's what I'm using. Anyone tried it?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/SicEmBaylor/Windows-1252BSU1HMDAwNjguanBn.jpg
Yes. I have a double protein shake for breakfast every morning. It does wonders for my strength. I wouldn't engage in the mass consumption of it unless you were very serious about working out on a regular basis.

King Crimson
9/10/2007, 10:40 AM
man, they are still teaching that Heilbronner text. talk about a durable book....especially in today's flashy, the latest is the greatest, racketeering world of academic publishing.

Scott D
9/10/2007, 11:15 AM
Just heard on the radio this morning that sumo wrestlers dont eat breakfast. This causes the metabolism to slow down, therefore making them gain weight more quickly. Seems weird that skipping a meal would make you gain weight, but sumo wrestlers seem like guys who know what they are doing.

it has to do with being more active at an earlier point in the day.

SicEmBaylor
9/10/2007, 12:14 PM
man, they are still teaching that Heilbronner text. talk about a durable book....especially in today's flashy, the latest is the greatest, racketeering world of academic publishing.
They were teaching it as of a year ago. I assume they still are. Man, I hated that class. We had "Socratic Fridays" whereby we were randomly picked to stand before the class and questions are put to us concerning various philosophical principles and we must answer those questions in a well reasoned manner. If you were "unprepared" then you'd be docked points. I'd sit there and it felt like I was playing Russian roulette.

frankensooner
9/10/2007, 12:50 PM
Wow, that is just like every day in law school. Shouldn't you be at the gym?

Mjcpr
9/10/2007, 12:59 PM
You could marry a hip-hop wannabe loser, have a couple of kids and then attempt a half-hearted, disinterested "comeback".

King Crimson
9/10/2007, 01:02 PM
Wow, that is just like every day in law school. Shouldn't you be at the gym?

yeah, sounds like good pedagogy to me. you'd think getting the "small school" experience at Baylor you'd relish that sort of commitment to learning.

not much is expected of students these days in undergrad curriculum. is being punished for not doing the work unfair? that's the way most of my students act--do you expect study guides for exams too? they complain if they have to actually do any work.

TMcGee86
9/10/2007, 04:23 PM
Some women appreciate lean men. My sister-in-law adores my brother, and he's been 142 lbs. and 6'2" since high school.

:eek: Holy jeebus. I thought I used to be skinny. 6'2" 142? That is thin.

SicEmBaylor
9/10/2007, 04:40 PM
yeah, sounds like good pedagogy to me. you'd think getting the "small school" experience at Baylor you'd relish that sort of commitment to learning.

not much is expected of students these days in undergrad curriculum. is being punished for not doing the work unfair? that's the way most of my students act--do you expect study guides for exams too? they complain if they have to actually do any work.

I didn't mind answering -- I was just always scared to death I'd give a wrong/bad answer. I always did just fine except on one occasion when I flat out had not done my reading.

Scott D
9/10/2007, 04:54 PM
Some women appreciate lean men. My sister-in-law adores my brother, and he's been 142 lbs. and 6'2" since high school. My sons are tall and lanky, too, and they have admirers a-plenty.

that's not lean...that's about 30 lbs underweight.

SicEmBaylor
9/10/2007, 04:56 PM
I'm 5'4" and weigh between 110-115

Ike
9/10/2007, 05:01 PM

This is actually true. And in fact, the reverse is true too. If you are a bit of a fatty and want to lose weight, one easy adjustment to make is to make sure you eat 3 square meals per day, with very few snacks in between. I have no idea how many pounds that will get you, but it speeds up your metabolism after a while and you wind up burning more of the calories that you would normally store.

colleyvillesooner
9/10/2007, 05:04 PM
WHO YOU CALLING FATTY? :mad:

Ike
9/10/2007, 05:06 PM
WHO YOU CALLING FATTY? :mad:

nm

:D

StuIsTheMan
9/10/2007, 05:18 PM

do you got big boobs, and long brown hair and blue eyes?

SicEmBaylor
9/10/2007, 06:18 PM
do you got big boobs, and long brown hair and blue eyes?
For the right price I might.

j/k

Stitch Face
9/10/2007, 07:13 PM
Don't you have diabetes? Why are you trying to gain weight, again?

proud gonzo
9/10/2007, 07:46 PM
I'm 5'4" and weigh between 110-115damn.

royalfan5
9/10/2007, 07:49 PM
I was that big when I was a freshman in high school. Playing high school football at that weight sucked.

SicEmBaylor
9/10/2007, 08:10 PM
Don't you have diabetes? Why are you trying to gain weight, again?
I'm no longer diabetic.

Stitch Face
9/10/2007, 09:04 PM
Playing high school football at that weight sucked.

They don't give you a choice in Nebraska, do they?

royalfan5
9/10/2007, 10:16 PM
They don't give you a choice in Nebraska, do they?
Nope. Especially at the size of school I went to.

Scott D
9/11/2007, 08:38 AM

ahh that explains it..you are bitter because you were too fat for your bridesmaid dress...you fat cow!

I was 5'4 when I was like 8.

SicEmBaylor
9/11/2007, 02:18 PM
ahh that explains it..you are bitter because you were too fat for your bridesmaid dress...you fat cow!

I was 5'4 when I was like 8.
I do have something of a Napoleonic complex.

Scott D
9/11/2007, 02:19 PM
I doubt Napoleon wanted to fit in a bridesmaid dress.

SicEmBaylor
9/11/2007, 02:28 PM
I doubt Napoleon wanted to fit in a bridesmaid dress.
No, but I bet he'd want to get in a bridesmaid's dress.

Scott D
9/11/2007, 02:31 PM
he'd have a much easier time getting a bridesmaid out of her dress than you will....unless it's a wedding full of lesbians.

frankensooner
9/11/2007, 02:31 PM
Seeing how he died 186 years ago, I don't think he would be up for the task.

Scott D
9/11/2007, 02:32 PM
Seeing how he died 186 years ago, I don't think he would be up for the task.

I'd still give him better odds of scoring than SicEm in his current state.

SicEmBaylor
9/11/2007, 02:35 PM
I'd still give him better odds of scoring than SicEm in his current state.
Touche.

I need to get a scale to see if I'm actually gaining weight. I no joke think that I may have already put on a pound or so.

Petro-Sooner
9/11/2007, 03:12 PM
Beer really does work Sicem.

SicEmBaylor
9/11/2007, 03:15 PM
Beer really does work Sicem.
I drink two beers a night with my cigar, and I haven't gained any weight. And it's Shiner not light beer.

I'm telling you guys...that junk food/high fat/beer diet plan doesn't work for me.

royalfan5
9/11/2007, 03:20 PM
I drink two beers a night with my cigar, and I haven't gained any weight. And it's Shiner not light beer.

I'm telling you guys...that junk food/high fat/beer diet plan doesn't work for me.
Have you considered the fact that you might have a tapeworm?

Petro-Sooner
9/11/2007, 03:21 PM
Two beers? Oh Sicem......... Try 6 at least a night.

Now maybe not the healthiest way but it does work.

I had a very high metabolism when I was younger. It wasnt til I was 27 or so til it slowed where I started filling out.

proud gonzo
9/11/2007, 03:47 PM
Beer really does work Sicem.Yeah, because chicks LOVE scrawny guys with a beergut

OSUAggie
9/11/2007, 03:53 PM
Start smoking a lot of pot, go on 5 or 6 day drinking binges, eat a bunch of bull****, etc.

That's how most people get fat that are still in school at that age.

Scott D
9/11/2007, 03:57 PM
or at least how you turn into rufnek05.

proud gonzo
9/11/2007, 04:03 PM
Scott D's on a roll today

colleyvillesooner
9/11/2007, 04:26 PM
HEH