PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Think The Sooner Coaching Staff Has Been In Contact With Larry Coker?

FaninAma
9/7/2007, 11:05 AM
This thought makes me smile.....a whole lot. :D :D :D

Stoops seems extremely relaxed about this game. IMO, I think Coach Coker would be only too happy to share a little bit of his perspective on the Canes and their coaching staff.

OUHOMER
9/7/2007, 11:22 AM
I like the way you think:D

FaninAma
9/7/2007, 11:30 AM
Coker is a good coach. He probably had one of the 3 best winning percentages of active D-1 coaches when he was fired. I think he was fired not because his team was too gangsta and out of control but because he personally didn't cater to or foster the gangsta Miami tradition.

I really think the true Miami persona will show up sooner rather than later under Randy Shannon. I think the program and their fans don't believe they can win without it.

Mac94
9/7/2007, 11:35 AM
According to Ron Franklin Coker is now with ESPN .... Franklin was interviewed this mornign here in Austin as he is doing the game broadcast for ESPN. Ron talked alot with Larry to prep for the game. Wouldn't shock me if there were some contacts ... BUT, remember, Coker recruited pretty much all the kids on the Miami team so he may not be so quick to "rat them out" even though he may not be happy with the school. They are still "his kids."

FaninAma
9/7/2007, 11:42 AM
Mac, I understand your line of reasoning but I don't remember too many of "his kids" standing up for their ol' head coach when the munchkin and rest of her munchkin guild served ol' Larry's head up on a platter. And it was "his kids" atrocious on the field behavior that largely led to Coker getting canned, also.

Again, I truly believe that Miami and its fans do not believe they can be on top of the college football world until they regain the gangsta mentality that was their trademark for so many years.

cvsooner
9/7/2007, 11:51 AM
Time for some law and order, Oklahoma-style, in that case.

The Maestro
9/7/2007, 11:55 AM
I would hope we don't need Coker's advice. He suggested fullback dives with no timeouts and then rush the kicker out of the field for the game winning field goal at the last second.

Still no forgiveness for blowing the 1990 Texas game.

Jewstin
9/7/2007, 01:11 PM
Time for some law and order, Oklahoma-style, in that case.

SHERIFF STOOPS IS IN TOWN, along with DEPUTY DEMARCO.

... was that really lame, or is it just me?

OklaPony
9/7/2007, 01:16 PM
For Coach Coker to actively participate in sharing knowledge about his former team would indicate that he's a vengeful person. I've never seen nor heard anything about him to support that point so my guess is no, that probably hasn't happened.

Not that we'll need it anyway.

RacerX
9/7/2007, 01:17 PM

yes.

fwsooner22
9/7/2007, 01:44 PM

Is that you Musburger???????????:D

Flagstaffsooner
9/7/2007, 02:18 PM
Anybody Think The DEA Has Been In Contact With Larry Coker?

FaninAma
9/7/2007, 02:23 PM

Yes, as well as the FBI anti-gang task force.

NS5
9/7/2007, 02:27 PM
Who's business is this?

Jewstin
9/7/2007, 02:30 PM
Is that you Musburger???????????:D

In a foot race! That man again!

FUMBLE! WILLIAMS!

stoopified
9/7/2007, 03:17 PM
Mac, I understand your line of reasoning but I don't remember too many of "his kids" standing up for their ol' head coach when the munchkin and rest of her munchkin guild served ol' Larry's head up on a platter. And it was "his kids" atrocious on the field behavior that largely led to Coker getting canned, also.

Again, I truly believe that Miami and its fans do not believe they can be on top of the college football world until they regain the gangsta mentality that was their trademark for so many years.They don't call it gangsta,they call it swagger. :) Coker is a good man.My highschool jv team(4A) played his varsity squad in back to back seasons when he was at then class B Fairfax.I like the guy.Yeah,I think there has been contact and Coker would cooperate IMHO.

r5TPsooner
9/7/2007, 03:20 PM

We sure know that he hasn't been contacted by OETA.;)

Doged
9/7/2007, 03:33 PM
Coker is a good coach. He probably had one of the 3 best winning percentages of active D-1 coaches when he was fired. I think he was fired not because his team was too gangsta and out of control but because he personally didn't cater to or foster the gangsta Miami tradition.

I really think the true Miami persona will show up sooner rather than later under Randy Shannon. I think the program and their fans don't believe they can win without it.

Coker was fired for going 7-6.

I like Randy Shannon and think he'll be a good head coach, but not at Miami. And yea, I agree, they'll be thugging their way around the field again before the end of the season.

jkjsooner
9/7/2007, 04:29 PM
I would hope we don't need Coker's advice. He suggested fullback dives with no timeouts and then rush the kicker out of the field for the game winning field goal at the last second.

Still no forgiveness for blowing the 1990 Texas game.

I think they were trying to get the ball in the middle of the field but the stupid back headed right to gain a yard or two and we ended up kicking a rushed kick from the hashes.

It was a dumb move either way but I blame Gibbs for it.

OSUAggie
9/7/2007, 04:51 PM
According to Ron Franklin Coker is now with ESPN .... Franklin was interviewed this morning here in Austin as he is doing the game broadcast for ESPN. Ron talked alto with Larry to prep for the game. Wouldn't shock me if there were some contacts ... BUT, remember, Coker recruited pretty much all the kids on the Miami team so he may not be so quick to "rat them out" even though he may not be happy with the school. They are still "his kids."

He called the Miami-Marshall game last weekend, I believe, on ESPNU. His guest appearances on CFB Live or whatever the **** it's called are all from South Beach. I'm starting to think he's just going to be the insider for Miami football this year for ESPN.

hink4769
9/7/2007, 10:54 PM
i don't think larry coker bears any ill will towards miami, at one point he won two championships there at one point although the second was taken away a few seconds later by that chris gamble/glenn sharpe interference call. he doesnt come off as a spiteful and vengenful guy and even after he was fired he talked about how he thought the position as miami head football coach was the best position in the country.

Crucifax Autumn
9/7/2007, 11:30 PM
Well, I honestly think if he didn't know what the hell was going on with his team and players when he was there he couldn't very well give Stoops any useful advice on them now.

goingoneight
9/7/2007, 11:38 PM
Coker probably visited a practice or two during the off-season. I know Steve Kragthorpe and Pete Carroll have before among others.

Crucifax Autumn
9/8/2007, 01:13 AM
If I got fired from a job thanks to the other "employees" being jackasses I'd only go back late at night with a can of gas and a match.