PDA

View Full Version : Let's pick a scab...which Miami loss hurt worse?

The Maestro
9/6/2007, 04:22 PM
1985, 1986 and 1987 were some of the best OU teams to ever touch the field of football. Talent so deep that players who never started even got drafted. That said, the same thing was going on at Miami. So, for those who remember it freshly, rank the losses in terms of pain.

I say you HAVE to vote the 1987 (or Jan. 1, 1998) game as the most painful. Number one, it was for all the marbles. It sucked as well that we were having to play the national title game at Miami's home stadium. I thought they finally had lost some key people, namely Testeverde, and that Steve Walsh was not a capable QB to beat us. We never could figure out how to really stop a pro style offense. And then to look so bad and get to within 6 and have no real shot without a passing attack was depressing. Also, seeing goofy *** Jimmy Johnson carried off the field and waving his arms that had Special Olympians rolling their eyes at his antics sucked hard! It only was compounded later in the year when we lost the hoops national title as well. Plus, it was our third loss in three years to them.

1986 was second to me. It was a big revenge game and we played so dang hard in that game. Go to YouTube and pull back old videos. From the fight towards the end to each moment. The greatest game the Boz ever played, bar none. It stung so bad to not get revenge and then to just roll through the rest of the season, barring Sooner Magic needed against Nebraska, and then steam-rolling Arkansas in the Orange Bowl and knowing that there were two unbeatens ahead of us, Penn State and Miami, we were third without a doubt, and no other team in the land even close to the rest of us. Watching all those games late in the year hoping Miami or Penn State would falter, but they just never did. We never got another shot that year.

1985 was the least painful in that it was really unexpected and we knew nothing about these guys at the time. The names Vinny Testeverde and Michael Irvin were brand new to us as it was the year after Kosar graduated. Losing Troy sucked, but it did lead to the Jamelle era and you can never hate it when a season ends with a national title. What a dominate run that defense had and even nationally we were, pardon the pun, given a break for losing to Miami since we lost Troy. What happened immediately after that game with Jamelle and crew was a special time in Sooner history, especially how things transpired with Iowa and Miami losing on New Year's Day and us disposing of Penn State that night in the Orange Bowl.

Here's hoping the list ends here...and this overall series stands at 3-3 in about 48 hours.

StuIsTheMan
9/6/2007, 04:25 PM
**** that list and **** the Canes...!:mad:

TheUnnamedSooner
9/6/2007, 04:27 PM
^^^^ Agreed! :mad:

Harry Beanbag
9/6/2007, 04:28 PM
This week has made me realize once again just how much I ****ing hate Miami.

arcman46
9/6/2007, 08:41 PM
All of them! I hate the canes.:mad:

A Sooner in Texas
9/6/2007, 08:44 PM
Agreed...the '88 Orange Bowl loss hurt so-o-o-o-o bad - probably because we played so-o-o-o-o bad. And being spit on by cocaines fans made it all the more horrible.

virginiasooner
9/7/2007, 08:44 AM
Gotta be the Orange Bowl loss. Mainly because I had to buy lunch for a co-worker who went to Miami.

BoonesFarmSooner
9/7/2007, 08:58 AM
F U MONGO !!!!

I didn't need to read that on a Be Happy Friday....

Partial Qualifier
9/7/2007, 11:29 AM
1/1/1988, for sure.

That OU team was frigging stacked, maybe the most stacked we've been since 1973.

85Sooner
9/7/2007, 04:32 PM
1/1/1988, for sure.

That OU team was frigging stacked, maybe the most stacked we've been since 1973.

DITTO

Crucifax Autumn
9/7/2007, 11:39 PM
Orange Bowl...for sure...

It was our chance to avenge the previous 2 in grand fashion