PDA

View Full Version : Anybody going Elk Hunting in the next few weeks?

IB4OU2
9/6/2007, 09:49 AM
If you are tells us about it?

C&CDean
9/6/2007, 09:53 AM
Just as soon as the Miami game is over I'm hitting the road. Got a mule deer tag this year too. Supposed to snow the next couple days over 10K feet. I can't wait.

IB4OU2
9/6/2007, 10:00 AM
Dude, that's one of my goals in the near future is to do some Elk hunting. Now that I'm getting back to where I can get around again I'll be able to atleast try to book an Elk hunt on horseback. There's nothing like the Rockies in the fall.

Hamhock
9/6/2007, 10:03 AM
definitely on my life to-do checklist.

with a bow, of course ;)

SoonerBorn68
9/6/2007, 10:09 AM
So, what caliber rifle do youse guys use for elk? I'd think anything under a 30-06 would just ****'em off.

1stTimeCaller
9/6/2007, 10:09 AM
The company man on this well was telling me that elk hunting is like turkey hunting on steroids.

He just picked up his two mules from some guy in Gene Autry that trains mules for elk hunting. He said that elk hunting is his favorite.

Looks like I'll have to go elk hunting next year.

1stTimeCaller
9/6/2007, 10:11 AM
So, what caliber rifle do youse guys use for elk? I'd think anything under a 30-06 would just ****'em off.

I plan on using my .300 WSM when I go.

IB4OU2
9/6/2007, 10:16 AM

A 30-06 works great, .270 works well too from what I've heard.

C&CDean
9/6/2007, 10:17 AM

We only hunt the muzzleloader season. I use a .50 caliber Thompson Black Diamond XR. I used to hunt rifle with a 7mm mag, but it's too damned cold in November.

Black powder or bow is the way to go.

MiccoMacey
9/6/2007, 10:23 AM

Be a man. You only get a knife. And you can only use said knife to sharpen the stick you are going to use to kill the Elk.

No camo stuff. Not blinds or stands. You against the environment.

Oh, and you are only allowed to take two ounces of beef jerkey to eat. All your other food and water must be foraged from the wilderness around you.

NormanPride
9/6/2007, 10:25 AM
I've never been hunting before, but it sounds like something that a man should learn how to do, you know? It sounds like Elk hunting is not a good starting place, though.

MiccoMacey
9/6/2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah...maybe we should start with squirrels or other rodents...work our way up to Elk. It's like skipping the mechanical bull ride and going straight for the bull.

Anyone in for a squirrel hunt? What kind of license will we need? What type weapon would one use to hunt squirrel? I'd like to go the bow and arrow route, but what if I miss, or just nick him and he gets angry and turns on me?

No...I think I'm going 30.06 all the way with this one. You can't be too careful.

:D

rufnek05
9/6/2007, 10:33 AM

my dad used .270 with 250 grain hollow point. said that'll knock the cows down pretty good. not sure about the bulls, he said he never saw any while they were up there.

MiccoMacey
9/6/2007, 10:35 AM
If a 30-06 is too small, try a 30-07. It's a little bigger and should have more knockdown power.

rufnek05
9/6/2007, 10:36 AM
We only hunt the muzzleloader season. I use a .50 caliber Thompson Black Diamond XR. I used to hunt rifle with a 7mm mag, but it's too damned cold in November.

when your muzzleload hunting, you carry a side arm?

C&CDean
9/6/2007, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't hunt elk with a .270 - but some people do. Of course a .22 will kill one if you know where to shoot them - and can actually place it there.

And I've only seen one elk just drop when shot - and it was hit from about 10 yards with a .348 grain powerbelt bullet with 150 grains of 777 powder behind it. In the front of the neck/throat. Usually they go for a while before laying down to die. They're strong, magnificent animals. If you don't hit them in the vitals, you usually won't ever find them.

C&CDean
9/6/2007, 10:40 AM
when your muzzleload hunting, you carry a side arm?

.357 for the bears.

NormanPride
9/6/2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah...maybe we should start with squirrels or other rodents...work our way up to Elk. It's like skipping the mechanical bull ride and going straight for the bull.

Anyone in for a squirrel hunt? What kind of license will we need? What type weapon would one use to hunt squirrel? I'd like to go the bow and arrow route, but what if I miss, or just nick him and he gets angry and turns on me?

No...I think I'm going 30.06 all the way with this one. You can't be too careful.

You've never seen fear until you've seen a rabid chipmunk after an arrow's mangled its tail. :eek:

IB4OU2
9/6/2007, 10:46 AM

I killed a squirrel with my daughters BB gun the other day. We have trouble with them eating all our pecans. I shot it through the eye at about 30 feet.

I use a crossbow for Whitetail, .50 Cal TC Encore for whitetail during the Primitive season and 30-06 TC Encore for rifle season. One shot, one kill.

You may want to start with frog gigin' instead of squirrel hunting though those squirrels may attack you if you miss.

Hamhock
9/6/2007, 10:49 AM
I use a crossbow for Whitetail, .

what state?

C&CDean
9/6/2007, 10:49 AM
I scared a squirrell to death last year. Little guy was coming down the branch towards my tree stand and got to where his foot was touching my shoulder. I went "boo!" and tried to grab him with my other hand. Poor little guy fell out of the tree and layed there spazzing out. Deader than hell.

IB4OU2
9/6/2007, 10:50 AM
what state?

Oklahoma (I have a permit)

IB4OU2
9/6/2007, 10:52 AM
I scared a squirrell to death last year. Little guy was coming down the branch towards my tree stand and got to where his foot was touching my shoulder. I went "boo!" and tried to grab him with my other hand. Poor little guy fell out of the tree and layed there spazzing out. Deader than hell.

That was before you lost all that weight, wasn't it Deano?

C&CDean
9/6/2007, 10:56 AM
Well, yeah. Guess he thought I was an elephant sitting in the tree.

MiccoMacey
9/6/2007, 11:11 AM

Did you have him stuffed, or mount his head on a wall?

MiccoMacey
9/6/2007, 11:12 AM
You know what'd be even better? Take the antlers from the Elk you shoot, attach it to the squirrel, and THEN mount it on the wall.

NormanPride
9/6/2007, 11:14 AM

That is one of the most badass things I've ever heard of. I wish there had been video!

C&CDean
9/6/2007, 11:19 AM
Dude, killing a bear with a toothpick would be badass. Scaring a tree rat to death was just an unfortunate - yet funny happening.

achiro
9/6/2007, 11:29 AM
I am leaving a week from tomorrow for a CO bowhunt for elk! woohoo! I am pumped.

C&CDean
9/6/2007, 11:30 AM
I am leaving a week from tomorrow for a CO bowhunt for elk! woohoo! I am pumped.

Where are you hunting?

achiro
9/6/2007, 11:32 AM
Where are you hunting?
SW CO not far from Pagosa. It's a private land hunt at 8500-9000 feet. Snow at 10,000 would be a good thing!!!!

Hamhock
9/6/2007, 11:49 AM
SW CO not far from Pagosa. It's a private land hunt at 8500-9000 feet. Snow at 10,000 would be a good thing!!!!

i'd appreciate a recap of the trip w/ photos.

achiro
9/6/2007, 12:36 PM
i'd appreciate a recap of the trip w/ photos.
I'm hoping it will be exciting enough TO recap!

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 01:08 PM
You wanta borry My sharp pointed stick ? seems I cant be using it here No MO
Thanks alot Dean :P

Rogue
9/6/2007, 01:30 PM
Last year was my first elk. Good times.
This year, alas, Mrs. Rogue has a follow up with Cleveland Clinic opening week of elk season in Idaho. Still have some meat in the freezer though.

Hamhock
9/6/2007, 01:33 PM

what kind of bow do you shoot?

achiro
9/6/2007, 03:02 PM
what kind of bow do you shoot?
Matthews Switchback

Hamhock
9/6/2007, 03:07 PM
Matthews Switchback

the new one? i almost bought that one. i can't believe how light they've made it.

achiro
9/6/2007, 03:20 PM
the new one? i almost bought that one. i can't believe how light they've made it.
no, its not the xt, its the first version. I bought it and like a week later(seemed like it anyway) they came out with the switchback xt. Now they have that drenilin and it is carazy awesome!

Condescending Sooner
9/6/2007, 03:28 PM
Just as soon as the Miami game is over I'm hitting the road. Got a mule deer tag this year too. Supposed to snow the next couple days over 10K feet. I can't wait.

Damn, that's a lot of snow!!

Hamhock
9/27/2007, 03:18 PM

well?

achiro
9/27/2007, 05:13 PM
well?
Well...I am completely hooked on elk hunting! The first night we called a bull within 75 yards, he was bugling, chuckling, stomping, ****ing on himself, ripping a tree to shreds. Wouldn't come into bow range but it really didn't matter at that point. In fact it was the first elk I've ever even heard bugling so I was so freakin excited I may not have been able to pull my bow back on him anyway! :D I had on other bull commit and was coming in to cow calls on a string, the wind shifted and in the only 10 seconds all night that the wind decided to blow that direction the bull decided that was a good time to leave!
One guy shot a nice 5x6, one guy missed a raghorn at 20 yards, another could have shot a cow elk but passed. Of the 4 I am the only one that didn't have a chance at a shot but it was still an absolute blast! We saw lots of elk, heard lots of bugles.

olevetonahill
9/27/2007, 05:15 PM
Glad ya had a good time
But between you an Dean puking the Elk hunt , I guess we wont get any Elk Chili .:mad:

Petro-Sooner
9/27/2007, 06:16 PM
Well...I am completely hooked on elk hunting! The first night we called a bull within 75 yards, he was bugling, chuckling, stomping, ****ing on himself, ripping a tree to shreds. Wouldn't come into bow range but it really didn't matter at that point. In fact it was the first elk I've ever even heard bugling so I was so freakin excited I may not have been able to pull my bow back on him anyway! :D I had on other bull commit and was coming in to cow calls on a string, the wind shifted and in the only 10 seconds all night that the wind decided to blow that direction the bull decided that was a good time to leave!
One guy shot a nice 5x6, one guy missed a raghorn at 20 yards, another could have shot a cow elk but passed. Of the 4 I am the only one that didn't have a chance at a shot but it was still an absolute blast! We saw lots of elk, heard lots of bugles.

Where were you hunting?

achiro
9/27/2007, 06:18 PM
Where were you hunting?
Just North of Bayfield(between pagosa springs and durango) on private ground.

Petro-Sooner
9/27/2007, 06:24 PM
I'll go get my atlas. :)

Hamhock
9/28/2007, 02:19 AM

what was the cost?

TheHumanAlphabet
9/28/2007, 09:09 AM
I just got back from Calgary, Canada...Many people wearing camo and had big gun cases arriving from the U.S.

C&CDean
9/28/2007, 09:37 AM

The bulls were bugling up a storm when we were up there a couple weeks ago. And what achiro says is right, if you're a hunter, and you get to the mountains, and you get within sight of a big bull, and said bull gets to bugling/stomping/****ing it'll bring tears to your eyes and goosebumps the size of golf balls on your back.

The biggest bull I killed was following a group of cows on a frosty morning. I hit my hoochie momma a couple times and the cows all came out into the meadow I was set up on. The bull stepped out facing uphill, threw his head back, and went to bugling. The sun had just broke over the horizon, and he was standing in perfect light. As he bugled, steam was coming out of his nose and mouth. It was a pure National Geographic moment. My only regret was that I didn't get a picture of him. Of course I did get pictures of him later, and I see him every day when I walk into the living room. I had him mounted in a bugling pose.

Elk hunting is the allsome.

And there's a ton of public land that holds good bulls - but most people are just too lazy and want to be guided. I can show you places where you'll see good elk and deer, but you're on your own for calling/tracking/processing. As it should be.

Hamhock
9/28/2007, 02:11 PM
The bulls were bugling up a storm when we were up there a couple weeks ago. And what achiro says is right, if you're a hunter, and you get to the mountains, and you get within sight of a big bull, and said bull gets to bugling/stomping/****ing it'll bring tears to your eyes and goosebumps the size of golf balls on your back.

The biggest bull I killed was following a group of cows on a frosty morning. I hit my hoochie momma a couple times and the cows all came out into the meadow I was set up on. The bull stepped out facing uphill, threw his head back, and went to bugling. The sun had just broke over the horizon, and he was standing in perfect light. As he bugled, steam was coming out of his nose and mouth. It was a pure National Geographic moment. My only regret was that I didn't get a picture of him. Of course I did get pictures of him later, and I see him every day when I walk into the living room. I had him mounted in a bugling pose.

Elk hunting is the allsome.

And there's a ton of public land that holds good bulls - but most people are just too lazy and want to be guided. I can show you places where you'll see good elk and deer, but you're on your own for calling/tracking/processing. As it should be.

sweet story. what grain broadhead where you shooting? :texan:

C&CDean
9/28/2007, 03:40 PM
sweet story. what grain broadhead where you shooting? :texan:

Well, I'm a hafta be honest here. I don't cotton much to bow hunting for elk. Why? A couple reasons. Here goes:

I've been going to Colorado for many years now hunting elk. Bow season always starts a week or two before muzzle loader. Usually before the rut begins. Anyhow, I've seen a dumbass bowhunter from Missouri take a shot at bull elk from 90 yards. I've seen elk killed with the muzzle loader who had gangrene from arrow wounds. I've seen a couple pretty clean kills on good bulls - but it's the exception for sure. Usually what happens is the bow hunter sticks the elk, said elk disappears into the black timber never to be seen again - until somebody finds the carcass a couple weeks later.

Elk are BIG, strong animals. Way too many people take bow shots that aren't "perfect" shots. If you're not close enough to get good penetration, and don't have an angle for a good heart/lung shot you should let him go. Unfortunately, most people don't.

Also, a lot of good bulls are killed early in bow season before they have a chance to mate. Some little rag horn taps the girls, and then you have a bunch of inferior elk being born.

I ain't got any problem with bow hunting (I do it myself for deer and turkey), I just have a problem with sticking a 700+ lb. animal with an arrow where there's damn near inpenetrable dark timber close by. I've even passed up on decent black powder shots because I didn't have a good angle or I felt he was too far away to drop him. Which brings up another point. I've killed 5 elk myself with a muzzle loader. I've hit them dead-perfect with a .348 grain power belt bullet with 150 grains of 777 behind it from 30 yards away. And never, EVER have I seen an elk drop - except one I hit in the spine - and that bastard still crawled a hundred+ yards before I could hit him again. They're just stout suckers.

There's a guy who owns the Frenchman's Ranch up by where we hunt. When he sees bow hunters he gets his tractor out and starts banging the front end loader off the ground to scare the elk. He hates bow hunters because he sells canned rifle hunts and they're always shooting nice elk who are all gangrened up from being stuck in the *** with an arrow.

One of the problems is guys get up there, see an elk, and go "this may be my only chance so I've gotta take the shot" instead of being patient. If you take the achiro attitude of "damn it was the coolest thing in the world to see that big boy - and by God I'm gonna get him next time" it'd be a lot better for other hunters and for the elk.

Oh yeah, don't even get me started on the lazy ****s who go up there in rifle season. I think they think their tag says "only hunt after drinking a 5th of Jack and a 12-pack." I'm surprised more of them don't get shot in the crossfire.

Hamhock
9/28/2007, 04:30 PM
i was only being a smart***

same thing happens with whitetail. people take shots that are too long at bad angles and end up sticking a deer in the rump.

i won't take a shot on a whitetail outside of 30 yards. Iff'n I get to go after elk, i'd only take a "perfect" shot and inside of 25 yards. it is a sick feeling knowing you've wounded an animal and can't recover it.

C&CDean
9/28/2007, 04:49 PM
i was only being a smart***

same thing happens with whitetail. people take shots that are too long at bad angles and end up sticking a deer in the rump.

i won't take a shot on a whitetail outside of 30 yards. Iff'n I get to go after elk, i'd only take a "perfect" shot and inside of 25 yards. it is a sick feeling knowing you've wounded an animal and can't recover it.

Cool.

I shot an ugly little buck this past powder season on my place. He had 5 weird points on one side, and a single spike on the other. He was looking at me from about 40 yards - but was behind some brush. Anyhow, I know I hit him in the chest, but he takes off like a shot. I looked for hours, and never saw a drop of blood. My youngest son was out coon hunting with his buddy one night this past February, and he brings home the skull of this deer going "dad, look at this weird rack on this deer." I go "where'd you find it?" He said "on the other side of the creek where it goes to the neighbor's place."

That was about another 200 yards from where I finally gave up looking. Little sucker managed to go under a couple fences, cross the creek, and died going up the other side. I hate not being able to find them...

IB4OU2
9/28/2007, 04:53 PM
Cool.

I shot an ugly little buck this past powder season on my place. He had 5 weird points on one side, and a single spike on the other. He was looking at me from about 40 yards - but was behind some brush. Anyhow, I know I hit him in the chest, but he takes off like a shot. I looked for hours, and never saw a drop of blood. My youngest son was out coon hunting with his buddy one night this past February, and he brings home the skull of this deer going "dad, look at this weird rack on this deer." I go "where'd you find it?" He said "on the other side of the creek where it goes to the neighbor's place."

That was about another 200 yards from where I finally gave up looking. Little sucker managed to go under a couple fences, cross the creek, and died going up the other side. I hate not being able to find them...

That's ok Dean everbody gets a little buck fever. :D