PDA

View Full Version : Lester to Michigan?

Grimey
9/6/2007, 08:11 AM
Any chance of him bailing on the bayou bengals when the Michigan job inevitably comes open after this year?

:les:

SoonerStormchaser
9/6/2007, 08:31 AM
Yes...he'll have his bags packed the day it's announced Lloyd's leaving.

aurorasooner
9/6/2007, 08:33 AM
But he probably will make a play to replace Al Groh.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Terry Bowden insists this isn't a mid-life crisis.

After nine years away from coaching, the former Auburn coach wants back in the game. Bowden has stayed close to college football and been making a nice living as an analyst for ABC, Westwood One Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio.

Lately, however, something's been tugging at him. He wants to coach again and if all goes according to his plan he'll be back on the sideline at some major college next season.

"It's not something profound," the 51-year-old Bowden said in a recent telephone interview. "But you say to yourself, 'Is this really what I want to do the rest of my life?' (What's) been missing to me only comes down on that field."

For a while Bowden, the son of Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, was at the top of his profession. He took over an Auburn program in 1993 that was strapped with NCAA sanctions and won his first 20 games. His 1993 Tigers went undefeated but because of the sanctions could not play in the postseason.

By the middle of the 1998 season, things had turned sour for Bowden. The Tigers started 1-5 and Bowden was convinced he'd be fired at the end of the season. So he quit.

He finished with a 47-17-1 record at Auburn. His overall record, which includes stints at Salem College and Samford, is 111-53-2.

Bowden had been toying with the idea of trying to make a comeback, but realized he needed to get serious about it last year when West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez was being wooed by Alabama.

Bowden grew up in West Virginia and played for the Mountaineers. If that job had come open, how could he not make a play for it?

Bowden figured, "I better be ready to at least throw my name in the hat."

Rodriguez turned down the Crimson Tide and Bowden was relieved.

"Rich stayed and I got about a year to be ready to make a decision of what I want to do," he said.

Bowden spent this past offseason visiting teams, watching practices and sitting in on meetings. One of his stops was, of course, at Florida State.

He said coaching is like riding a bicycle, once you learn you never forget. The difference is "The bicycles are 10 speed now and I'm learning a few new gears.

"Football will always be about blocking and tackling. Terminology changes .... Xs and Os stay the same," he said.

So what kind of job is Bowden looking for? Well, he's not about to limit himself. While he's done most of his coaching in the South, his time as a broadcaster has taken him all over the country. He feels as if he could coach anywhere.

"I don't think you have the luxury to be picky," he said. "If the right opportunity came up where I can help somebody, that's where I want to be."

So early in the season, it's hard to even speculate where Bowden could end up or how much in demand he'd be. On his record alone, it shouldn't be too tough for him to land another job.

And he's available immediately. No one will have to wait until after the season to interview Bowden.

Another point working in his favor is the growing trend toward schools cutting loose their coaches sooner rather than later to avoid the postseason hiring rush and have the first pick of top candidates.

North Carolina went that route last year, firing John Bunting in midseason and hiring Butch Davis in November.

Bowden seems to be in good shape to land a desirable job.

One place he has no desire to end up is Tallahassee as his 77-year-old father's replacement.

"I will probably retire a second time before he retires the first time," Terry Bowden said. "Dad's not planning on retiring and I'm not planning on waiting."

SeattleOUstudent
9/6/2007, 09:52 AM
I dont get it. Why would he bail? Mich would be a lateral move. If it was a ND or USC...maybe. Those have more history. I dont think Les will move until he can go back to the pros.

OSUAggie
9/6/2007, 10:06 AM
Les would take the Michigan job over the LSU job without much thought.

If LSU doesn't win a title this year, the fans/media will be all over his ***. If they win one, he'll have nothing left to prove. He's a University of Michigan guy.

Partial Qualifier
9/6/2007, 10:08 AM
What I don't get is, how did Lloyd Carr last this long? And if he lasted this long, who's to say he wont be there another 10 years??

King Crimson
9/6/2007, 10:14 AM
Terry Bowden won't get a top tier BCS job. he "might could" get a lower tier job with a school that is hurting in terms of success but has an ambitious AD and a sign-off school president. the Tater Tot would bring press but he's been out of coaching a long time and got in trouble at Aubie for doinking undergrads.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/6/2007, 10:20 AM
Leslie can go wherever the heck he wants. He's a strange guy , but apparently a pretty good coach.

soonervegas
9/6/2007, 10:22 AM

Agreed. It is not that hard of a decision.

r5TPsooner
9/6/2007, 10:37 AM

If LSU doesn't win a title this year, the fans/media will be all over his ***. If they win one, he'll have nothing left to prove. He's a University of Michigan guy.

I agree. Much easier conference to win in IMHO.

silverwheels
9/6/2007, 10:49 AM
What I don't get is, how did Lloyd Carr last this long? And if he lasted this long, who's to say he wont be there another 10 years??

He's been riding the wave of his shared NC with Nebraska in '97, plus a few Rose Bowl appearances. However, Michigan fans were starting to become restless even before the loss to Appalachian State because he can't beat Tressel or win a bowl game.

The Michigan AD said that he won't fire Carr or make him leave, but I think Lllllllloyd knows his time is running short in Ann Arbor.

Grimey
9/6/2007, 10:51 AM
I dont get it. Why would he bail? Mich would be a lateral move. If it was a ND or USC...maybe. Those have more history. I dont think Les will move until he can go back to the pros.

He played there for Bo Schembechler(sp?). I think it is his dream job. Plus he could get away before the cajuns decide he is Tiger bait.

OSUAggie
9/6/2007, 11:01 AM
Plus the Michigan job has a lot more prestige than the LSU job... Even more so when you consider that Les would be judging which job is mo' betta.

King Crimson
9/6/2007, 11:06 AM
Lester was on the UM team we beat in the 75 Orange Bowl.

he seems a little loose cannon (a mental chimpanzee) to really get the stolid, reserved UM job to me.

OSUAggie
9/6/2007, 11:36 AM
Schembechler wasn't exactly 'Tressely' in his stoicism.

King Crimson
9/6/2007, 11:43 AM
Schembechler is kind of overrated in my book. he didn't win a single NC. the weird fascination Big 10 people have with winning the Rose Bowl is a little creepy.

StanberryWasIn
9/6/2007, 11:52 AM
I think what Michigan is lacking is a good dose of batsh*t crazy, so it seems that Lester would be perfect.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/6/2007, 12:13 PM
Schembechler is kind of overrated in my book. he didn't win a single NC. the weird fascination Big 10 people have with winning the Rose Bowl is a little creepy.The big 10 and pac 10 relished the elite status that the Rose Bowl seemed to hold with the media. It's a snobbery thing. It IS a great venue, prolly the best, IMO.(I went to the OU-wsu game after the '02 season)

OSUAggie
9/6/2007, 12:22 PM
Schembechler is kind of overrated in my book. he didn't win a single NC. the weird fascination Big 10 people have with winning the Rose Bowl is a little creepy.

Agreed. He was still really good, though. Plus, that's kind of Michigan's shtick, just winning a lot of games without a bunch of trophies. Perhaps that's why Lloyd might get a free pass 10 years removed.

Scott D
9/6/2007, 01:23 PM

Well the big thing with Bo, was that when he took the Michigan job the Wolverines had been struggling, and weren't filling the stands (a lot less than the 109k it holds now). Bo put Michigan football back on the national map much in the way that Bob Stoops resurrected OU from the travashamockery that the two twits before him had turned it into. Basically he built Michigan football back into a major player. Up in this part of the country Bo v Woody was on a par with Bud v Royal down in the RRS (very ironic since in each grouping one was the protege of the other).

Bo was also a lot bigger in regards to Michigan than football. He spent a lot of time in the community, and was very selfless of his time. You'd be just as apt to see Bo having lunch with message board type schmos as he was to have lunch with the CEO of one of the Big 3. To a lot of people up in this area, Bo Schembechler WAS Michigan football if it had a physical embodiment. Much like how a lot of the 45 and under set, Barry Switzer is STILL the physical embodiment of Oklahoma football.

Seamus
9/6/2007, 01:39 PM
Hate to agree with the aggy, but LSU to Michigan is NOT a lateral move. Michigan has top 5 or 10 tradition and just about everything else. LSU does not.

mwmcl
9/6/2007, 02:04 PM

So Michigan is not a top Football job? It's not up there with ND and/or USC in your book?

A lateral move to some is a dream job for others.

birddog
9/6/2007, 02:49 PM
why does everyone think the ripper is such a good coach? i mean, is it even a given that michigan would go after him?

MichiganSooner
9/6/2007, 09:58 PM
Les played at Michigan and was an assistant at Michigan under Bo and his successor, Gary Moeller. Michigan is not a lateral move for an LSU coach. What are the all-time winningest programs and the all-time winning percentage programs? Not just the last 50 years but all time? Where does Michigan compare to LSU or anyone else?
An article published in the Detroit Free Press but written by a guy from Lafayette, LA "if Lloyd wants to retire", the Michigan job should be considered by lester.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070905/SPORTS06/70905011/1054

goingoneight
9/6/2007, 10:57 PM

Uh... Meatchicken has a great history FWIW. Not OU, USC or ND kind, but better than the likes of where he's been.

hink4769
9/6/2007, 11:33 PM
on a side note i think ND is losing its stature as "dream job" unless you equate dream job with money. urban meyer and others turned the job down because recruiting is so difficult there these days. davie and willingham were both duds and weis is headed there. just off the top of my head: usc, ou, texas, florida, lsu, tennessee, ohio state, michigan, miami are definaltley better gigs these days and there are others like oregon, (with the phil knight bankroll), florida state, and others that are arguably better jobs.

Crucifax Autumn
9/7/2007, 01:09 AM
Let him go...Easy to dislike 'em both that way.

oumartin
9/7/2007, 01:18 AM
You can get better athletes in the SEC, but in the Big 10 you only got one other school to beat. OSU. SEC is loaded.

I do believe him to be an awful good coach. just a total fool.

goingoneight
9/7/2007, 01:31 AM
Good coach, embarassing mannerisms and quotes are a weekly dealio for ol' :les:.

Would you rather have a coach who wins and makes an *** out of himself or have a coach who plays nice guy all the time and makes an *** of the program?

badger
9/7/2007, 08:49 AM
While Lester managed to get OSU teams to show up to one game a year for a few seasons, he has no program loyalty (according to T. Bone in a recent article). He will always look for an opportunity to make more money and have a better job.

If his contract allow him to search, he undoubtedly will.

On a side note: T. Bone, ever the miser, usually leaves during OSU games if he doesn't like how they're going. When Lester's Pokes started to crap out vs. tOSU in the Alamo Bowl, he was worried that LSU wouldn't want him anymore. Alas, they are drawn to loudmouth arrogant coached :D

Bourbon St Sooner
9/7/2007, 09:22 AM
Leslie's overrated as a coach. How can you only score 3 points against Aub last year with 3 first round draft picks on your team? If you're that great why do you have to come from behind in the last minute at home to beat Ole Miss?

That being said, there's this perception that he's a top coach so I could see Michigan wanting him and I'm guessing that's his dream job. I hope they give it to him so I don't have to see his smarky face every time I turn on a TV around here.

The_Red_Patriot
9/7/2007, 09:28 AM
Yep, to Michigan he goes!!!

mwmcl
9/7/2007, 09:32 AM
Let's see what he does this year. I think he would be good for Michigan. He'd be a firy coach that is almost the complete opposite of Carr.

Having said that, I think the LSU program is in better shape than the Michigan program. Saban built a solid foundation. Let's see if Lester can continue to ride his coattails.

SeattleOUstudent
9/7/2007, 09:38 AM
So Michigan is not a top Football job? It's not up there with ND and/or USC in your book?

A lateral move to some is a dream job for others.

No no no...Dont go Aggie on me. Read my statement. I said it would be LATERAL. I consider the LSU job to be one of the top jobs right now. They recruit their end of the SEC very well. There is a lot of parity in the Big 11, and thus harder to win (not to mention no champ game). Granted, Meesh is a great job for anyone, I dont see it being as much of a move as a USC or ND would be. And those of you who think the ND job isnt one of the best in the country, you are joking yourself! :pop:

LSUdeek
9/7/2007, 10:05 AM
Les played at Michigan and was an assistant at Michigan under Bo and his successor, Gary Moeller. Michigan is not a lateral move for an LSU coach. What are the all-time winningest programs and the all-time winning percentage programs? Not just the last 50 years but all time? Where does Michigan compare to LSU or anyone else?
An article published in the Detroit Free Press but written by a guy from Lafayette, LA "if Lloyd wants to retire", the Michigan job should be considered by lester.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070905/SPORTS06/70905011/1054

Guilbleaux was fired from the Baton Rouge Advocate. Don't listen to a word he says.

I think he's gone, but "should" is another thing entirely.

LSUdeek
9/7/2007, 10:07 AM
Hate to agree with the aggy, but LSU to Michigan is NOT a lateral move. Michigan has top 5 or 10 tradition and just about everything else. LSU does not.

:(

They may have 7 NC's, but only 1 of them is post-1960, same as LSU. I'd say the programs are on about as even footing as you can get.

OSUAggie
9/7/2007, 10:14 AM
on a side note i think ND is losing its stature as "dream job" unless you equate dream job with money. urban meyer and others turned the job down because recruiting is so difficult there these days. davie and willingham were both duds and weis is headed there. just off the top of my head: usc, ou, texas, florida, lsu, tennessee, ohio state, michigan, miami are definaltley better gigs these days and there are others like oregon, (with the phil knight bankroll), florida state, and others that are arguably better jobs.

Weis' previous 2 classes were top-10. This year's class is currently #1. ND lightened on their admission standards so the recruiting is now as good as ever. To suggest Oregon is a better job is laughable. The Notre Dame job is at least on par with the big boys, if not better.

While Lester managed to get OSU teams to show up to one game a year for a few seasons, he has no program loyalty (according to T. Bone in a recent article). He will always look for an opportunity to make more money and have a better job.

Coaches want to be at a place where they feel like they have an opportunity to win. How can anyone blame Les for taking a much better job at LSU? He doesn't owe OSU anything. He was hired to do a job, and he did it pretty well. Boone is a bit fickle about the subject.

Leslie's overrated as a coach. How can you only score 3 points against Aub last year with 3 first round draft picks on your team? If you're that great why do you have to come from behind in the last minute at home to beat Ole Miss?

How could Stoops lose to a 3-7 team at home with 3 or 4 pro bowlers on his roster?

Sometimes - shockingly - 18-22 y/o's don't execute the game plan. Sometimes coaches put out a game plan that doesn't fit. It happens to the best, so why should Les be immune to it?

No no no...Dont go Aggie on me. Read my statement. I said it would be LATERAL. I consider the LSU job to be one of the top jobs right now. They recruit their end of the SEC very well. There is a lot of parity in the Big 11, and thus harder to win (not to mention no champ game). Granted, Meesh is a great job for anyone, I dont see it being as much of a move as a USC or ND would be.

You have to look at it in the context of the man potentially seeking the job. To Les, it is, without question, the best job in the country. That's all that matters.

I do agree with you that, at this time, the two programs are on par with one another. There are a handful of places in the country where you have an opportunity to consistently compete for a national championship, and both of those places are currently on that list.

badger
9/7/2007, 10:22 AM
Sometimes - shockingly - 18-22 y/o's don't execute the game plan.
:eek: AGGIE LOGIC!:eek:

First off, you don't just get to be elite. You have to work for it... unless you're Phil Jackson or Les Miles.

Second, top recruiting classes do not a program make. Miami was recruiting top tiers for years and are now being crutched by Ned of FIU.

Third, I agree that Boone is a bit senile... as are any OSU fans that expected Les to not bolt. But, he does owe OSU something for giving him the chance to coach and build his resume.

Finally, Les doesn't need to go where he wants, he needs to go someplace without television camera and microphones... Michigan will do for now. Here's hoping he's hidden away in Montana in a few years, though :D

Bourbon St Sooner
9/7/2007, 02:23 PM
How could Stoops lose to a 3-7 team at home with 3 or 4 pro bowlers on his roster?

Sometimes - shockingly - 18-22 y/o's don't execute the game plan. Sometimes coaches put out a game plan that doesn't fit. It happens to the best, so why should Les be immune to it?

Stoops has actually won championships. I haven't seen any skins on the wall for Leslie as of yet. That's a step up that Leslie needs to take to convince me he's more than just a decent coach. If they win the SEC this year, I may change my mind.

King Crimson
9/7/2007, 02:28 PM
we lost to 3-7 OSU because we had NO OL play and it finally caught up with us.

NS5
9/7/2007, 02:31 PM
It really don't matter to me. I wouldn't like him any better at Mchigan than
I did at Lsu or oSu.

OSUAggie
9/7/2007, 02:59 PM
Stoops has actually won championships. I haven't seen any skins on the wall for Leslie as of yet. That's a step up that Leslie needs to take to convince me he's more than just a decent coach. If they win the SEC this year, I may change my mind.

Point taken.

He's only been in a position to do so for 2 years, but that is definitely something he needs to accomplish @ LSU. A national title will obviously be a difficult task, but I think this LSU squad is a level above the rest of the West. And the schedule sets up for success, with Alabama probably being the toughest test since it's a day game in Tuscaloosa.

The east schedule isn't bad (relatively speaking) with UF and USC coming to Baton Rouge and a road game against UK (which is a potential trap - day game sandwiched between UF and Auburn).