PDA

View Full Version : A Great Voice Silenced...Pavarotti Dies.

LoyalFan
9/6/2007, 02:01 AM
Updated: 1 hour, 30 minutes ago
ROME - Luciano Pavarotti, whose vibrant high C’s and ebullient showmanship made him one of the world’s most beloved tenors, has died, his manager told The Associated Press. He was 71.

His manager, Terri Robson, told the AP in an e-mail statement that Pavarotti died at his home in Modena, Italy, at 5 a.m. local time. Pavarotti had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last year and underwent further treatment in August.

“The Maestro fought a long, tough battle against the pancreatic cancer, which eventually took his life. In fitting with the approach that characterized his life and work, he remained positive until finally succumbing to the last stages of his illness,” the statement said.

The link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20607839/

Although the holder of a Music Degree, I'm not much of an opera buff (It's OK, I guess, 'cept for all that yelling.) Still, the guy was nothing short of magic.

Sing now for God, Luciano. We will remember you with admiration and respect.

LF

StoopTroup
9/6/2007, 04:16 AM
See ya big guy...

Pavarotti is survived by his wife, Nicoletta Mantovani, and a daughter, Alice, along with three grown daughters by his first wife, Adua Veroni, whom he divorced in 2000, and a granddaughter.

According to Robson, his wife, daughters and sister, along with other relatives and friends were at his side when he died

Widescreen
9/6/2007, 08:25 AM
The biggest name in opera in the latter half of the 20th century. Did anyone get to see him a couple of years ago in Tulsa during his farewell tour? That would've been awesome. I still can't believe he came to Tulsa.

SoonerBOI
9/6/2007, 09:04 AM
I'm a big fan. HE's a big loss. God bless him. Thanks for the music...

IB4OU2
9/6/2007, 09:13 AM
:(

OCUDad
9/6/2007, 11:33 AM
Several years ago, OCUMom and I got us some front-row seats at a Three Tenors concert. Cost a bundle, but it was worth it. Carreras and Domingo have absolutely awesome voices - but when Pavarotti sang, you could tell this was a gift from Heaven, something way beyond great. RIP, Luciano. You now have a command performance for Him who gave you the gift.

proud gonzo
9/6/2007, 11:38 AM
RIP
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VATmgtmR5o4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C7FGPIRJx6I

TUSooner
9/6/2007, 01:01 PM
Sad news.
At least my mother-in-law doesn't blame him him for causing Princess Diana's death anymore... since we explained to her what "paparazzi" are. :rolleyes:

umm... see... she was confused as to why Princess Di was being chased by Pavarotti.

oh, never mind.

Scott D
9/6/2007, 01:02 PM
Dear Lord why can't you take singers from us with ****ty voices...like Billy Corgan.

proud gonzo
9/6/2007, 01:20 PM
GHP says the Wichita Grand Opera is dedicating the entire season to him.

Pavarotti....not Billy Corgan

SoonerStormchaser
9/6/2007, 01:55 PM
Wanna bet Domingo and Carreras sing at his funeral?

TexasLidig8r
9/6/2007, 02:23 PM
What a powerful voice!! Placido may have sung with more apparent emotion, but for sheer power... a true giant.

SOONERKAT
9/6/2007, 02:56 PM
I had the pleasure of attending his concert here in Houston back in 1994. What has always amazed me more than anything is how effortless he made it look. Carreras looks like he's is about to give himself an aneurysm when he hits the higher register, but Pavarotti made it look so natural. For those of you with satellite radio, The Met is broadcasting the full productions of eight of his most heralded performances over the next eight nights. I can only imagine that some sort of a benefit/ memorial concert is forthcoming.

RIP, Meastro ....

GottaHavePride
9/6/2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah, he helped found the Wichita Grand Opera. He came in and did the first-ever concert for WGO; raised nearly a million dollars to get the company started.

soonerboomer93
9/6/2007, 11:04 PM
ibtm

proud gonzo
9/6/2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah, he helped found the Wichita Grand Opera. He came in and did the first-ever concert for WGO; raised nearly a million dollars to get the company started.dang, I was not aware of that.