PDA

View Full Version : Some Miami info

The Maestro
9/5/2007, 06:07 PM
I did some looking back at stats. Some are really unimpressive.

As I have said, they had four touchdowns last week against a mediocre Marshall team. 3 of the drives were under 30 yards. Don't fumble or throw picks inside the 30 and they have trouble driving.

They frequently last year and last week were on the wrong side of time of possession. I believe this is key to wearing down their defense for a big 4th quarter for us.

Miami fumbled three times last week and lost none.

Against Nevada in the bowl game Miami had 31 carries for 28 yards rushing. Nevada. They had 300 yards offense against Nevada, 247 yards against B.C., 329 against Duke (while Duke had 380...DUKE!!!), 263 yards offense against Virginia.

I didn't see a game in their last six or seven without at least one INT thrown.

They rarely give up big yards rushing, but their offense has done little to impress.

snp
9/5/2007, 06:17 PM
They have a true freshman starting at CB, DeMarcus Van Dyke.

setem
9/5/2007, 06:22 PM
Last week their QB completed less than 50% of his passes. It is going to be hard to do any better against OUr D!

85sooners
9/5/2007, 06:27 PM
:pop:

birddog
9/5/2007, 06:30 PM
:pop:

again, you don't say much, huh?

D-Sweet
9/5/2007, 06:38 PM
Kirby Freeman is NOT good.

The only chance Miami has is to run well and catch the DBs snoozing on play action once or twice. Hopefully the front seven can take care of the run game without relying on the DBs too much.

BoomerGirl34
9/5/2007, 06:42 PM

Maybe they don't talk with their mouth full? :D

mhackl
9/5/2007, 07:04 PM
This may be a very important recruiting game with the #3 corner back prospect in the nation, Brandon Harris of Miami, cosidering both OU and UM.
His short list
Miami (FL)
Florida
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Rutgers

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/5/2007, 07:09 PM
Just win baby

Jewstin
9/5/2007, 07:42 PM
NCAA Ranking, Total Yards per game, 2006
-----------------------------------------
2 (Louisville), 46 (Nevada), 49 (Boston College) , 67 (Georgia Tech), 70 (Florida State), 87 (Maryland), 100 (Virginia Tech), 102 (North Carolina), 105 (Duke), 113 (Virginia)

NCAA Ranking, Rushing Yards per game, 2006
-------------------------------------------
12 (Lousville), 23 (Nevada), 35 (Georgia Tech), 61 (Maryland), 88 (Boston College), 91 (Virginia Tech), 92 (North Carolina), 100 (Virginia), 103 (Duke), 103 (Florida State),

These are the offensive (heh, no pun intended) rankings of Miami's BCS conference opponents from last year, also including their bowl opponent, Nevada.

I had written in another thread that I believe their defensive ranking/reputation is a product of the anemic offenses in the ACC, and it looks like the numbers agree with me. Yes, it is a paper comparison, but it is enlightening nonetheless.

Couple these elements with Miami's recent slide in prominence in the state of Florida, numerous coaching changes, and a completely inept offense, and you have a recipe for destruction.

Ash
9/5/2007, 08:23 PM

It's the Zen approach to posting.

RacerX
9/5/2007, 08:25 PM
their best wr was suspended for their first game.

The Maestro
9/5/2007, 08:32 PM
As long as Freeman is throwing to said best receiver, I'm good.

Will
9/5/2007, 08:53 PM
A lot of people our saying that miami has some real athletes on the field that will compete with ou. But OU also has some great athletes and I think ours will be better than theirs as well as coached better for the game.

The Maestro
9/5/2007, 08:59 PM
A lot of people our saying that miami has some real athletes on the field that will compete with ou. But OU also has some great athletes and I think ours will be better than theirs as well as coached better for the game.

Great point! It's like people think we have a bunch of farm hands for our team. Um...we are a lot more talented than Miami from top to bottom. This is OUR HOUSE and this is THEIR FIRST ROAD GAME of the year.

Gonna be a long three more days...I am ready for our guys to punish the lesser talented helmet swingers!!!

Ash
9/5/2007, 09:02 PM
I think it's going to be close game.

I still buy into the fact that they have athletes and a pretty good defense.

I agree that we have a better overall team, not just in terms of players but also coaching. As Maestro said, homefield has to play a role along with this being their first roadie.

But, I think they're going to pull out all the stops. This is huge for their program right now. It's a big game here, but I think it's bigger for them.

Take care of the ball, wear down their D and take care of business on defense.

The Maestro
9/5/2007, 09:14 PM
It's a big game here, but I think it's bigger for them.

No offense, but I'll buy you the case of your choice if you had the courage to tell Bob Stoops that to his face...or any of the players that have one thing in mind...this is Oklahoma football...and we play for national titles...and we cannot do that without a win over Miami.

It's BIG for us...Miami can have a great year even if they lose to us.

soonermagicgirl
9/5/2007, 09:14 PM
my prediction OU 55-10

setem
9/5/2007, 09:19 PM
I think I have a pretty good comparison for the game.

OU - GREAT ATHLETES ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL!
MIAMI- GREAT ATHLETES ON D...Not so much on O!

I hate to say this...I am looking forward to the game because I know we are going to win! I would be willing to bet that OUr D might outscore both offenses! It won't matter what QB they put in the game they can't catch the damn ball. There is not a wide-out on their team that can run like any of ours. If Sammy plays the game the coaches set out for him. We will win sure handedly. We have to tough of a D for them to run on us all day long and that pass game is a joke.

I will bet $20 we come out with a completely different look against Miami than we did against NT. I think the coaches are setting Miami up. Plenty of teams do it and I cant imagine why Bob would be any different. If we run the bubble screen I will be surprised! I bet if we run that play against them it will either...

1. Get picked off because they jumped the play.

Or

2. we run a double pass. Last week it looked like one of our guys was gonna pull up and pass it but there was to much heat on him.

...just what I think

Ash
9/5/2007, 09:36 PM
No offense, but I'll buy you the case of your choice if you had the courage to tell Bob Stoops that to his face...or any of the players that have one thing in mind...this is Oklahoma football...and we play for national titles...and we cannot do that without a win over Miami.

Done, if I had any chance of speaking to Bob.

I can't disagree with your response because I agree with it and it has nothing to do with what I was saying in my post.

The cocanes are coming off of a terrible season...they have major "image" problems...they're unranked for the first time in a long time...Shannon wants to prove he's the right man...the team wants to prove they're still playas...the program needs a marquee win to get back on track...it's a road game against a top ten team...a traditional rival...you don't think this is their biggest game of the season?

Jewstin
9/5/2007, 10:19 PM
I've also been noticing some Miami players are awfully confident, using phrases like "when we win" during interviews.

I hope some of that stuff makes it to the locker room, particularly Lewis Baker. We'll see how tough that 265lb return guy is when he gets his head ripped off.

Crucifax Autumn
9/6/2007, 01:45 AM
The word "Miami" is in itself unimpressive.

Scott D
9/6/2007, 03:59 AM

So is your logic "OU wins because Miami's offense is in my eyes completely anemic" or "OU wins because Miami has nothing at stake in this game"?

Because if it's the latter you're just being silly.

Which team has nothing to lose going into the game? Last time I checked that can make an underdog that has talent pretty dangerous.

The Maestro
9/6/2007, 06:41 AM
So is your logic "OU wins because Miami's offense is in my eyes completely anemic" or "OU wins because Miami has nothing at stake in this game"?

Which team has nothing to lose going into the game? Last time I checked that can make an underdog that has talent pretty dangerous.

Wow...so I say Miami does not have more at stake in this game and that means I said they have NOTHING at stake? I am simply saying this: OU needs to win ALL their games to achieve goals. And losing to an unranked team at home derails a national title hope that OU has to believe they can win this year.

Let's say Miami gets to the ACC title game, but loses at fifth ranked Oklahoma early in the year...is that not still a great year and a stepping stone season?

Miami has less pressure...they are not expected to win...so we have more at stake than they do, which...repeating...does not mean they have NOTHING at stake.

The team with more pressure has more at stake...oh, and yes...Miami's offense is pretty bad.

soonersn2007
9/6/2007, 06:57 AM
How should OU react if the Miami players try pre-game intimidation again, like their whole team walking out to midfield barking and talking smack?

Harry Beanbag
9/6/2007, 07:00 AM
How should OU react if the Miami players try pre-game intimidation again, like their whole team walking out to midfield barking and talking smack?

We should have Buster Rhymes on the sideline with his Uzi.

The Maestro
9/6/2007, 07:07 AM

Act like we've been in a big game before. Or let Loadholt walk to midfield and offer to go one on one with any takers.

RedstickSooner
9/6/2007, 10:36 AM
This is one of those games that is only dangerous if the players & coaches don't take it seriously. Miami, as always, has great, fast athletes, as Darwinian natural selection weeds out the slow ones (the cops catch 'em). Hence, if we show up unmotivated, they can beat us with sheer athleticism.

But, considering our history with that team, I would certainly hope our coaches wouldn't have any trouble motivating our players. I know I'm sure as heck fired up about this one.

DravenCult
9/6/2007, 02:57 PM

AHEM

http://www.newsvine.com/_vine/images/ap/nws/47842d77-ddf9-48c7-8180-f2800baafa9a.jpg