PDA

View Full Version : Holieway,worst passer in OU history?

stoopified
9/5/2007, 04:17 PM
In a column discussing '85 OU-UM game Tramel states that Aikman,OU's bestWISHBONE passer was replaced by Holiway,arguably OU's worst passer.I have to wonder did Berry ever see Thomas Lott pass?That is actually a rhetorical question as I know Tramel grew up in Norman and is about my age.Nothing against Lott who in my mind was the best pure optioneer of the Sooner 'Bone Age but he couldn't hit water from a boat in Lake Thunderbird with a pass.Holieway while not a pretty passer was as effective as any Sooner passer in the Bone Age,this side of Mildren and Dave Robertson.in fact holiway ranks 5th in career passing efficency,trailing only Robertson among Wishbone qbs.

I guess I shouldn't be so hard on Barry but he is supposed to be a proffesional'Then again this is the same guy who said that OU losing Bomar was like the Titanic hitting an iceberg.He later used the same analogy when AD went down in the ISU game.I'm starting to think I am as qualified as he is to write for The Oklahoman(sad commentary on how low their standards are).

No way Jamelle is the worst passer of the 'Bone Age.If he had stayed healthy he would have been regarded as one of the greatest option qbs in college history,not just OU history and been Barry's all-around best qb.

DarrellZero
9/5/2007, 04:27 PM
Right. Holieway seemed to be able to get the ball to Keith Jackson's hands when we really needed it.

Charles Thompson, OTOH, ugh.

The Maestro
9/5/2007, 04:31 PM
Right. Holieway seemed to be able to get the ball to Keith Jackson's hands when we really needed it.

Charles Thompson, OTOH, ugh.

Exactly. CT was lightening quick, but I have seen 8 year old girls with MS throw with their weaker arm with better precision than CT. "Hanta Yo" or "Yanta Ho"...whatever his head band said...was Sequoyah for "can't throw a damn lick!"

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 04:33 PM
Kelly Phelps.

what do i win?

Widescreen
9/5/2007, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I thought that comment about Holieway was stupid too. He made a lot of really key (and ugly) throws for us.

Animal Mother
9/5/2007, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=stoopified]
I guess I shouldn't be so hard on Barry but he is supposed to be a proffesional'Then again this is the same guy who said that OU losing Bomar was like the Titanic hitting an iceberg.He later used the same analogy when AD went down in the ISU game.I'm starting to think I am as qualified as he is to write for The Oklahoman(sad commentary on how low their standards are).

You know how they have those “stock” messages in your cell phone for texting? That's how Tramel writes his stories. He figures after one read of his column, no one can stomach another and he thinks he can repeat himself and no one is the wiser.

MikeInNorman
9/5/2007, 05:06 PM
Charles Thompson was by far the worst wishbone passer. As soon as other teams figured out that he had no prayer of completing anything, the wishbone finally went to its graveyard. Thompson was just terrible.

Animal Mother
9/5/2007, 05:34 PM
Charles Thompson could overthrow the toilet while standing at the sink.

trey
9/5/2007, 05:38 PM
renaldo works.....2000 at k-state.....has the offense thrown a halfback pass since?

The Maestro
9/5/2007, 05:48 PM
renaldo works.....2000 at k-state.....has the offense thrown a halfback pass since?

I think James Allen vs. Texas as well. Guh!

r5TPsooner
9/5/2007, 05:51 PM
Charles Thompson was by far the worst wishbone passer. As soon as other teams figured out that he had no prayer of completing anything, the wishbone finally went to its graveyard. Thompson was just terrible.

I agree 100%. He'd have a better chance selling a dime bag then hitting a wide open receiver.

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 05:55 PM
how many people posting in this thread can even remember and document the Sooner starting QB's after Steve Davis?

tulsaoilerfan
9/5/2007, 06:38 PM
Terrible would be a step up for CT.

OKLA21FAN
9/5/2007, 06:40 PM
Thomas Lott could the a perfect spiral 60 yards. Problem was that the receiver was running a 20 yard down and out. :pop:

tulsaoilerfan
9/5/2007, 06:42 PM
how many people posting in this thread can even remember and document the Sooner starting QB's after Steve Davis?
Oh, that's a good one; how far do you want to go and do you want anyone that ever started? LOL.

1976-78-First Dean Blevins, then Thomas Lott; JC Watts also started a game in 78 at KU when Lott was injured that turned out to be one helluva scare.
79-80-JC Watts
81-82-Alternating between Kelly Phelps and Darrell Shepherd
83-84 Danny Bradley and Aikman's first career start at KU.
85-88-Jamelle first, then CT for the last 2 games of 87 and i believe after the USC game in 88 until he broke his leg against the BugEaters.
89-98-Too damn many to remember, thanks to Gibbs and Blake.

OU Adonis
9/5/2007, 06:44 PM
Jamelle was a fair passer and actually improved once he blew out his knee.

The Maestro
9/5/2007, 06:45 PM
89 - Steve Collins, Chris Melson, Tink Collins

I give up...already.

stoopified
9/5/2007, 06:47 PM
Dean Blevins
Thomas Lott -replaced Blevins for UT game 1976,Blevins relegated to FIREMAN status.
JC Watts
Kelly Phelps
Darrell Shepard
Danny Bradley
Troy Aikman
Jamelle Holieway
Charles Thompson
Jamelle Holieway -started the Citrus Bowl (Barry's last game as HC) after Thompson broke his leg.

soonersam
9/5/2007, 06:49 PM
Two Words!!!!!
Patrick Fletcher!!!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/5/2007, 06:52 PM
Switzer had such low regard for Thompson as a passer in the '87 season ending ('88 OB) game against the "U", that he refused to throw the ball til the middle of the 4th quarter! It was EXASPERATING! I asked coach Fairbanks, who was sitting a few rows below me in the stands essentially "WTF", and he just said "no comment", and shrugged his shoulders.

stoopified
9/5/2007, 06:52 PM
Two Words!!!!!
Patrick Fletcher!!!!
You sir are way off.Fletcher had very few chances but made the most of them.Besides which I think Tramel was reffering strictly to Bone Age qbs.I'd forgotten how bad a passer Thompson was,I think Lott and Thompson finish in a dead heat.

Seamus
9/5/2007, 06:53 PM

It would be tougher to name all the quarterbacks who played in a single game for Blake. :eek:

LittleWingSooner
9/5/2007, 07:03 PM
Eric Moore, Brandon Daniels, Jake Sills, and Patrick Fletcher were worse.

Holieway would have a big play or TD everytime he threw.

okcusooner
9/5/2007, 07:24 PM
Kelly Phelps.

what do i win?

Phelps it is. Going into the '82 Nebraska game, his completion percentage for the season was 33%. Case closed.

UTisLousy
9/5/2007, 07:47 PM
Don't forget about Fuente! I gotta go with Eric Moore. Eric Moore overthrew every pass he ever threw.

LittleWingSooner
9/5/2007, 08:04 PM
Fuente was bad because of the system. I think he had more talent then the other guys. If he could have played under Stoops he would have been a good player.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/5/2007, 08:18 PM
Don't forget about Fuente! I gotta go with Eric Moore. Eric Moore overthrew every pass he ever threw.Who are these guys? Was this something that happened during the '90's, when OU took a hiatus from football?

Octavian
9/5/2007, 08:21 PM
If he had stayed healthy he would have been regarded as one of the greatest option qbs in college history...

he is anyway.

There have been several lists compiled by CFB analysts on websites that rank the greatest triple option quarterbacks. One really comes to mind where there was a good debate between Jamelle and Tommie Frazier. I think it's an old one from CFN.

When Ivan Maisel rated the Top 10 College Quarterbacks of the ESPN Era (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=1966188) in 2005, Holieway and Tommie are the only two triple-option signal callers to make the list.

Octavian
9/5/2007, 08:23 PM
and no....Jamelle is nowhere near the worst passer in school history.

Tramel was probably just trying to illustrate a stark contrast between a future Super Bowl MVP and NFL Hall of Fame passer and a collegiate wishbone wizard.

tulsaoilerfan
9/5/2007, 09:51 PM
It would be tougher to name all the quarterbacks who played in a single quarter for Blake. :eek:

Fixed. :pop:

SoonerDood
9/5/2007, 09:59 PM
Eric Moore! If we ever needed to convert 3rd &15, he would give us a 30-yard incompletion.

Boarder
9/5/2007, 10:29 PM
It would be tougher to name all the quarterbacks who played in a single series for Blake. :eek:

fixed again

goingoneight
9/5/2007, 11:24 PM
Lendy Holmes overshot a wide-open receiver (Iglesias, I think) in 2005 on the HB pass. I am thinking it was against UCLA, but I could be wrong (reference to the HB pass question about K-State 2000).

goingoneight
9/5/2007, 11:28 PM
It would be tougher to name all the quarterbacks who played in a single series for Blake. :eek:

Not necessarily... there's only 14 guys on the field at the same time. :D

Will
9/5/2007, 11:28 PM

CatfishSooner
9/5/2007, 11:37 PM
hybl...

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/5/2007, 11:44 PM
Berry Tramel is the worst sportswriter in OU history.

I thought we all agreed on this.

RADsooner
9/5/2007, 11:54 PM
hybl...

yeah the fond memorys of watching hybl run the 'bone, and daniels could throw a mean duck too :D

Boarder
9/6/2007, 02:08 PM

hybl...

What, forgot who you were logged into as?

birddog
9/6/2007, 02:47 PM
hybl...

:rolleyes: give it up already.

crawfish
9/6/2007, 02:53 PM
Danny Bradley.

soonerfaninaddison
9/6/2007, 03:00 PM
Gerrick mcgee

journeyman
9/6/2007, 10:03 PM
IMHO, Jamelle was one of the better wishbone passers. Not as good as JC Watts, Troy Aikman, or Jack Mildren, but pretty serviceable. His ball had some zip on it and was usually close to on target.

CT wins the award for worst passer in OU history. Steve Davis and Tom Lott weren't much better.

Caveat: I am excluding any player that started during the 1989 season and the entire John Blake era.

MikeInNorman
9/7/2007, 09:16 AM
Eric Moore! If we ever needed to convert 3rd &15, he would give us a 30-yard Pick Six.

Fixed that.