PDA

View Full Version : Library Cards

royalfan5
9/5/2007, 09:35 AM
How many of you use the Public Library system on a regular basis? I use the Lincoln City Libraries quite frequently, and I have always used the Libraries system. I find it to be a great resource for the general public to use, but it seems to me that many people don't.

Paperclip
9/5/2007, 09:49 AM
I drive a lot with my work and I check out a book on CD about once a week. My wife is an avid reader and probably checks out 2-3 books a week.

sooner_born_1960
9/5/2007, 11:00 AM
I read from the library often. I don't see much sense in owning a bunch of books I'm only going to read once.

OUDoc
9/5/2007, 11:12 AM
I know libraries exist (for now). I haven't used one since the late '80's. My kids go sometimes though.

IB4OU2
9/5/2007, 11:15 AM
I avoid them. I forgot to return the "Lord of the Flies" back in 1972.

NormanPride
9/5/2007, 11:16 AM
badger reads constantly, especially since she's a reporter. But she buys all her books and reads them about 12 times each. I, however, read books only once and give them to relatives.

So, no library card for us.

olevetonahill
9/5/2007, 11:16 AM
My Librarian has me spoiled . I go in she sacks up 5 or 6 Novels , Marks for me and Im Good for another week of reading .

SicEmBaylor
9/5/2007, 11:19 AM
I'm very much against public libraries. People act like the anti-christ when I say that, but in many cases I am in favor of shutting them down.

Paperclip
9/5/2007, 11:21 AM
I'm very much against public libraries. People act like the anti-christ when I say that, but in many cases I am in favor of shutting them down.

I know I'm going to regret this. Why are you in favor of shutting them down?

SoonerBorn68
9/5/2007, 11:22 AM
I have the innerweb--libarrys are obsolete. :D

SicEmBaylor
9/5/2007, 11:26 AM
Libraries were great when the only means for the masses to read and educate themselves was a public library. The times have changed; the library system is outdated.

There are some exceptions to my dislike of libraries. You're always going to need a repository for government/civic documents that are open to the public for research. Also, if a city has a near limitless number of financial resources then I really couldn't care less if they build a library though that money could probably be put to better use. And therein lies my problem with public libraries. Cities need to concentrate first and foremost on roads, sewer, water, police, fire, and similar services. Libraries are an unnecessary luxary.

FTG is a great example of this. We had a pretty nice and perfectly acceptable public library that hardly anyone ever used. The only people that ever went there were the old people who would congregate for breakfast and **** in the community room. Now, FTG has PLENTY of roads and sidewalks that it needs to build but what did it decide to do instead? They built a brand new state of the art public library that still nobody uses.

Fix the roads THEN worry about extras like libraries.

olevetonahill
9/5/2007, 11:31 AM
Sicem have you ever PAID property Taxes ?
Our Libraries are funded thru a portion of those and By DONAITIONS .

SicEmBaylor
9/5/2007, 11:36 AM
Sicem have you ever PAID property Taxes ?
Our Libraries are funded thru a portion of those and By DONAITIONS .
I've never been to a Soviet gulag either, but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't like it. ;)

I've never understood why people always come back with that retort to me of all people. You usually say that to some punk *** kid who thinks that everyone's taxes should be raised so the city/state/government can buy him a new ipod. The total opposite is true of me. I've never been in favor of raising anyone's taxes for ANY reason. I've voted against every tax increase in every form that has ever been on a ballot in front me. I've never even voted in favor of a school bond.

Don't gripe at the guy trying to lower your taxes because he's never paid taxes!

dolemitesooner
9/5/2007, 11:38 AM
I have not used a public library since High school.

sooner_born_1960
I think the Vet is simply saying that if FG didn't spend the money on a new library, there still wouldn't be one extra cent for roads.

OUDoc
Sic 'em, how do you feel about old people. And puppies?

soonerbrat
9/5/2007, 11:40 AM
I haven't been to a public library since high school when I wrote a research paper on C.S. Lewis...

dolemitesooner
9/5/2007, 11:40 AM
:D

dolemitesooner
9/5/2007, 11:41 AM
The Library serves damn good hurricanes

IB4OU2
9/5/2007, 11:41 AM
I have not used a public library since High school.

Unbelievable! :D

dolemitesooner
9/5/2007, 11:42 AM
Unbelievable! :D
Ier cant RED

SicEmBaylor
9/5/2007, 11:42 AM
I think the Vet is simply saying that if FG didn't spend the money on a new library, there still wouldn't be one extra cent for roads.
That's true, but only because the city government isn't exactly competent at appropriating money.

They spent several hundred thousand dollars to help build a great boat dock, jetty, and such on the river. The problem is that its' adjacent to a freaking coal power plant and that section of the river is used almost entirely by barges transporting goods and garbage. Besides the fact that the only way the location could get worse is if the power plant were nuclear, any "tourists" that this place will attract will inevitably go over to Muskogee to eat and what not and completely bypass Fort Gibson except maybe to get gas.

SicEmBaylor
9/5/2007, 11:44 AM
They both smell funny and yap too much.

olevetonahill
9/5/2007, 07:27 PM
This olevet Yapped to My Librarian this evening :P Prepare to meet your DOOM
Oh and I went By the Library to get some books Guess what ?
They have me so spoiled that they Had My DIL bring some books home to me . BEFORE i went there :P
Sicem I gave em My password so be prepaired fer an asschewin :D :D :D :D

SicEmBaylor
9/5/2007, 07:52 PM
This olevet Yapped to My Librarian this evening :P Prepare to meet your DOOM
Oh and I went By the Library to get some books Guess what ?
They have me so spoiled that they Had My DIL bring some books home to me . BEFORE i went there :P
Sicem I gave em My password so be prepaired fer an asschewin :D :D :D :D

I'll brace myself for the onslaught of the angry librarians! ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/5/2007, 08:00 PM
I can't believe ScottD hasn't chimed in on this yet. His mom and my mom are best buddies and they probably don't know it. They spend equal time at the library.

I have a library card for the Norick Library, but I rarely get the chance to use it. I also have one for the Oklahoma History Center Library. I use it all the time.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/5/2007, 08:00 PM
I can't believe ScottD hasn't chimed in on this yet. His mom and my mom are best buddies and they probably don't know it. They spend equal time at the library.

I have a library card for the Norick Library, but I rarely get the chance to use it. I also have one for the Oklahoma History Center Library. I use it all the time.

soonerboomer93
9/5/2007, 09:18 PM
Even if I knew where the library is, I can't exactly read Korean

olevetonahill
9/5/2007, 09:24 PM
Even if I knew where the library is, I can't exactly read Korean
Go to the nearest Military base . I bet they let you in .:P

GottaHavePride
9/5/2007, 09:38 PM
I buy all my books. I'm a re-reader.

olevetonahill
9/5/2007, 10:15 PM
I buy all my books. I'm a re-reader.
I used to Buy em . But hell I ran outta room . The Library has bigger storage capacity than Me , If I wanta reread I check em out again :P

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 11:21 PM
in sic'em's brave new world you will have to pass a eugenics test or go to Baylor to have access to knowledge and oxygen and water will be privatized.

libraries are cool.

sic'em: Francis Fukayama, drink.

proud gonzo
9/5/2007, 11:38 PM
Libraries were great when the only means for the masses to read and educate themselves was a public library. The times have changed; the library system is outdated.

There are some exceptions to my dislike of libraries. You're always going to need a repository for government/civic documents that are open to the public for research. Also, if a city has a near limitless number of financial resources then I really couldn't care less if they build a library though that money could probably be put to better use. And therein lies my problem with public libraries. Cities need to concentrate first and foremost on roads, sewer, water, police, fire, and similar services. Libraries are an unnecessary luxary.

FTG is a great example of this. We had a pretty nice and perfectly acceptable public library that hardly anyone ever used. The only people that ever went there were the old people who would congregate for breakfast and **** in the community room. Now, FTG has PLENTY of roads and sidewalks that it needs to build but what did it decide to do instead? They built a brand new state of the art public library that still nobody uses.

Fix the roads THEN worry about extras like libraries.i'm beginning to see why you hate books.

olevetonahill
9/5/2007, 11:41 PM
i'm beginning to see why you hate books.
Oh PG wait till my Librarian ladies Nail his hide to the wall .
I did give em My user name and pass word for this ! should be good !:pop:

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 11:46 PM

it's not just books....apparently it's public space in general. if old people gather there, then clearly the FTG has missed it's purpose. they ought to be at home watching TV and thinking more about state's rights.

the whole idea of "community" should be privatized in a competitive market environment. if old people can't compete, screw em.

Soonerus
9/6/2007, 12:01 AM
I actually live in a room at the library...

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 12:17 AM
in sic'em's brave new world you will have to pass a eugenics test or go to Baylor to have access to knowledge and oxygen and water will be privatized.

libraries are cool.

sic'em: Francis Fukayama, drink.

DRIIINK!

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 12:22 AM
Heh, I read more in a month than most people do in a lifetime. I literally have boxes and boxes full of my books that I wish I had room to display but don't.

I think my yearly budget for books is more than most people spend for food during that same period. I'm a kid who read every volume of Winston's Churchill's memoirs the summer after 8th grade while on vacation in Florida.

Trust me, my problem isn't with books regardless of my lack of proof-reading skills on an internet message board. ;)

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 12:31 AM
Heh, I read more in a month than most people do in a lifetime. I literally have boxes and boxes full of my books that I wish I had room to display but don't.

I think my yearly budget for books is more than most people spend for food during that same period. I'm a kid who read every volume of Winston's Churchill's memoirs the summer after 8th grade while on vacation in Florida.

Trust me, my problem isn't with books regardless of my lack of proof-reading skills on an internet message board. ;)
And to think Ya coulda DONATED that money to the Library and still Be able to READ anything ya want !
Instead ya Buy, em box em up and No one else gets to enjoy .
Bro Dont get me started . I learned to read at a young age , I also learned to Love to read at a young age . I was a poor Kid so If it hadnt been for the Library system I prolly wouldnt have been able to read much :P
So kiss Myass :pop:

Soonerus
9/6/2007, 12:33 AM
I congratulate all readers and encourage future reading, not fighting about it....

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 12:36 AM
And to think Ya coulda DONATED that money to the Library and still Be able to READ anything ya want !
Instead ya Buy, em box em up and No one else gets to enjoy .
Bro Dont get me started . I learned to read at a young age , I also learned to Love to read at a young age . I was a poor Kid so If it hadnt been for the Library system I prolly wouldnt have been able to read much :P
So kiss Myass :pop:

But when you were a kid libraries were more in need than now. There are so many other means to acquire books that, I'm willing to bet, the number of children who have absolutely no means to pick up a book other than a library is pretty small.

It's hard to justify the cost of that in most cases in this day and age. It all depends on how many public resources are going into the library system that could be used elsewhere. Also, as you pointed out, the more a library relies on private donations so much the better in justifying that library's existence.

Soonerus
9/6/2007, 12:38 AM
SicEm, I applaud your library prowess...

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 12:41 AM
SicEm, I applaud your library prowess...
Lots of people admire my prowess. Spek to you.

King Crimson
9/6/2007, 12:43 AM
books for display? someday you will outgrow that.

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 12:45 AM
But when you were a kid libraries were more in need than now. There are so many other means to acquire books that, I'm willing to bet, the number of children who have absolutely no means to pick up a book other than a library is pretty small.

It's hard to justify the cost of that in most cases in this day and age. It all depends on how many public resources are going into the library system that could be used elsewhere. Also, as you pointed out, the more a library relies on private donations so much the better in justifying that library's existence.
Lets see here
The average cost of the Books that I read are between 20 to 35 Bucks X 6 a week = more than I can afford NOW . Id Rather Donate to My library , Saves me a bunch of bucks . Plus it helps the reading programs that the Library puts on for kids .
Just cause I was curious after you stated your stoopid . I ask the young lady tonight at the Library just how Many folks a day come in ?
Take a guess sicem after you guess Ill tell Ya

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 12:46 AM
Lots of people admire my prowess. Spek to you.
But its Just Rus , Not any wimmens !

Soonerus
9/6/2007, 12:48 AM
But its Just Rus , Not any wimmens !

He obviously understands substance....and is not a bandito...

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 12:52 AM
He obviously understands substance....and is not a bandito...
:D

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 12:52 AM
Lets see here
The average cost of the Books that I read are between 20 to 35 Bucks X 6 a week = more than I can afford NOW . Id Rather Donate to My library , Saves me a bunch of bucks . Plus it helps the reading programs that the Library puts on for kids .
Just cause I was curious after you stated your stoopid . I ask the young lady tonight at the Library just how Many folks a day come in ?
Take a guess sicem after you guess Ill tell Ya

I'm going to guess maybe 75-100 but I think I'm being generous. What town are we talking here though?

Anyway, I do absolutely admire the fact that you support your local library. You back up your talk at least and are consistent and I have no problem with that whatsoever. In the end (and I mean this quite sincerely) you're simply a better individual than I am and I readily acknowledge that.

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 12:53 AM
Sicem come on make ur guess . My lil town here has a Pop of about 600 or so . Guess how many folks come in EVERY day for Library services ?

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 12:54 AM
books for display? someday you will outgrow that.

Well, I'd like to have all my books put up and easily accessible. I need to take better care of them than I do since I'm pretty rough with them while I'm reading. There's got to be a better places though than a bunch of cardboard boxes. I think the moths have attacked some of them.

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 12:56 AM
Well, I'd like to have all my books put up and easily accessible. I need to take better care of them than I do since I'm pretty rough with them while I'm reading. There's got to be a better places though than a bunch of cardboard boxes. I think the moths have attacked some of them.
Ya its Called a ****ing Library ! Donate em :mad:

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 12:59 AM
Ok ya know Im in Wister Pop 600 or so
so make yer edjicated guess at How many folks come IN to the Library . The guess How many days a week the 2 librarians we have make trips Out to "Rural" schools for the Kids reading programs !

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 01:00 AM
Ok ya know Im in Wister Pop 600 or so
so make yer edjicated guess at How many folks come IN to the Library . The guess How many days a week the 2 librarians we have make trips Out to "Rural" schools for the Kids reading programs !

I'm clueless. Twice a week?

King Crimson
9/6/2007, 01:01 AM
you didn't say "accessible" you said "display".

Francis Fukayama.

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 01:02 AM
you didn't say "accessible" you said "display".

Francis Fukayama.
DRIIIINK!

(I'm almost out of Shiner)

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 01:05 AM
I'm clueless. Twice a week?
No shat !your clueless
My little Library has about 100 patrons a day , They go to the Outlying school systems at Least twice a week , Plus doing the Help thingie about Helping Adults learn to read !
So Please dont Diss the Libraries ok ?
Aw hell Ive found something Im ALMOST as passionate about as OU :P

King Crimson
9/6/2007, 01:06 AM
i thought the deal was whisky? or was it bourbon?

shiner is so overrated it's unreal. Texans would drink their own urine and call it the best thing ever since it was from Texas.

shiner is all right. it's just not THAT great.

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 01:10 AM
No shat !your clueless
My little Library has about 100 patrons a day , They go to the Outlying school systems at Least twice a week , Plus doing the Help thingie about Helping Adults learn to read !
So Please dont Diss the Libraries ok ?
Aw hell Ive found something Im ALMOST as passionate about as OU :P

It's not the libraries in and of themselves I'm dissing, it's spending money on the libraries when 6' deep pot holes in the streets going to the damned things.

Look, if Wister does a good job of funding basic city services, paving the roads, fixing the sidewalks, and all the other things that city governments are suppose to do and they have some left over money at the end that they want to put into a library then fine. If the people of Wister want that then that's great. Personally, I'd rather see the city focus on the basic stuff and return any excess taxes.

And I guarantee you that in FTG, a city of 4,500 people, we don't get anywhere near 100 people a day and I'm not sure the librarians have ever even seen the light of day.

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 01:12 AM
i thought the deal was whisky? or was it bourbon?

shiner is so overrated it's unreal. Texans would drink their own urine and call it the best thing ever since it was from Texas.

shiner is all right. it's just not THAT great.

Well, it was whiskey but we finished off the last of it last night. The only thing we have left is Shiner.

I really like Shiner, but you have to realize that I'm taking baby steps in my beer education. I mean I'm coming off Zima here...

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 01:14 AM
Go spend 3 hrs at the Library and just watch .
Plus you are screwed up in your thinkin The City Dosent Fund em !:cool:

goingoneight
9/6/2007, 01:27 AM
I used to frequent "The Library" in Norman. :D

PhxSooner
9/6/2007, 02:11 AM
Not to jump on a soapbox here, but...

I live in a nice part of the north valley. My children attend a very nice school. While helping at one of the book fairs, I learned that the librarians were chipping in to purchase gift certificates for books for a few of our students. While it is an affluent school district, there are children whose parents are ranch hands, as well as who are from out of the district. One girl wanted to use her certificate for her brother for his birthday, because her family couldn't afford to buy books. I would guarantee these kids can and do use a library. If we want children to be educated, they must read. Not everyone has the money to buy quantities of books.

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 02:14 AM

I live in a nice part of the north valley. My children attend a very nice school. While helping at one of the book fairs, I learned that the librarians were chipping in to purchase gift certificates for books for a few of our students. While it is an affluent school district, there are children whose parents are ranch hands, as well as who are from out of the district. One girl wanted to use her certificate for her brother for his birthday, because her family couldn't afford to buy books. I would guarantee these kids can and do use a library. If we want children to be educated, they must read. Not everyone has the money to buy quantities of books.
Zackly ! Hell if your worried about Pot holes Go fill one up !

PhxSooner
9/6/2007, 02:15 AM
It can be pretty moving to see these kids able to get a brand-new book. My kids are reminded that they are spoiled since I'll pretty much buy any book they want.

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 02:20 AM
It can be pretty moving to see these kids able to get a brand-new book. My kids are reminded that they are spoiled since I'll pretty much buy any book they want.
Yup and if you were Raised poor , And Loved to read . Nuff said huh ?

King Crimson
9/6/2007, 02:22 AM
also, in "our modern world of today" libraries provide internet access.

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 02:24 AM
also, in "our modern world of today" libraries provide internet access.
Yup . Plus Fax and copyin service etc.

PhxSooner
9/6/2007, 02:29 AM
Not to mention I've found, for myself and my kids, authors and books that I would have never noticed if I hadn't been just looking around. I've found some real duds, but my kids and I have found some great old stories that have a tendency to get lost today.

And after having typed that, I realize what a book geek I really am.:O :D

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 02:30 AM
Not to mention I've found, for myself and my kids, authors and books that I would have never noticed if I hadn't been just looking around. I've found some real duds, but my kids and I have found some great old stories that have a tendency to get lost today.

And after having typed that, I realize what a book geek I really am.:O :D
I love books

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 02:42 PM

Are you talking about a school library? Schools damned well ought to have libraries. I'm talking municipal libraries here.

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 02:44 PM
my kids and I have found some great old stories that have a tendency to get lost today.

Fiction is useless.

royalfan5
9/6/2007, 02:48 PM
Fiction is useless.
Not for well rounded people it isn't.

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2007, 02:49 PM
Not for well rounded people it isn't.
I shoot for obtuse.

olevetonahill
9/6/2007, 02:51 PM
Fiction is useless.
Be skeered sicem ! I just talked to My Librarian . Shes been busy today or she would have already nailed ur hide :P
After the Kids leave shes gonna getcha :P