PDA

View Full Version : Nagin has high hopes

Sooner in Tampa
9/5/2007, 05:24 AM
This cannot be for real...can it ??

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin is seriously considering a Louisiana gubernatorial bid, a political intimate of Nagin tells CNN.

According to public records and his campaign treasurer, the two-term Democrat has raised more than a half-million dollars in campaign contributions since he was re-elected in 2006, even though Nagin can't run for mayor again. (New Orleans limits mayors to two terms.)

The mayor's senior staff members say Nagin is often approached on the street and asked if he'll run for governor, but they say he just laughs off the suggestion. At the mayor's State of the City speech Wednesday, many local politicians told CNN they'd heard the rumors.

If Nagin does decide to run for the state's highest office, it could be an uphill battle. A recent Loyola University poll showed Nagin had an approval rating of just 19% in New Orleans.

In March, current Democratic Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco announced she would not seek a second term. Former Louisiana Sen. John Breaux, also a Democrat, entertained the notion of running for the post earlier in the year, but ultimately ruled against it.

On the GOP side, Rep. Bobby Jindal has announced he is running for the post.

"He's clearly seeing his election potential differently than most of Louisiana. Statewide, Ray Nagin is dead in the water," said G. Pearson Cross, an assistant professor of politics at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. "One thing is clear: New Orleans has not had the forceful and dynamic leadership necessary to get recovery on the right track."

But Nagin, in a City Hall interview late last month, struck an optimistic note.
"What I'd like to make sure everybody understands around America is that this city is overcoming a lot of odds. It's like a miracle city in some respects," New Orleans' fourth black mayor said. "Our citizens are doing incredible things out there in spite of a lack of resources, or broken promises."

Okla-homey
9/5/2007, 05:31 AM
People generally end up with the political leadership they deserve.

StoopTroup
9/5/2007, 05:39 AM
I couldn't sleep.

I found some chocolate cake in the kitchen just before I read this...

Coincidence?

I think not.

AlbqSooner
9/5/2007, 06:28 AM
If he would just take $90k of the half mill he has raised and stick it in his freezer, he could get lots of free ad time out of that in Louisiana.

soonerinabilene
9/5/2007, 08:04 AM
cocaine is a hell of a drug...

Sooner in Tampa
9/5/2007, 09:13 AM
A 19% approval rating and he wants to be to the freakin guvner...what a dip****.

royalfan5
9/5/2007, 09:44 AM
It's Louisiana, he can't really screw it up worse.

TUSooner
9/5/2007, 09:55 AM
People generally end up with the political leadership they deserve.
OW!
The truth hurts.
But Nagin has NO chance of becoming governor, even Louisiana doesn't have enough idiots - statewide - for that.

Piyush "Bobby" Jindal is who Louisiana needs, not so much for his dogmatic conservatism as for his competence. But he may be TOO competent, Louisiana will likely elect another comfortable mediocrity like Blanco, except it will be a mediocre man this time.

Okla-homey
9/5/2007, 10:15 AM
OW!
The truth hurts.
But Nagin has NO chance of becoming governor, even Louisiana doesn't have enough idiots - statewide - for that.

Piyush "Bobby" Jindal is who Louisiana needs, not so much for his dogmatic conservatism as for his competence. But he may be TOO competent, Louisiana will likely elect another comfortable mediocrity like Blanco, except it will be a mediocre man this time.

You think that stubby blonde senator y'all have might consider coming home for a stint in Baton Rouge?

TUSooner
9/5/2007, 10:23 AM
You think that stubby blonde senator y'all have might consider coming home for a stint in Baton Rouge?
I'm notoriously uninformed :O , but I haven't heard anything about that, at least for this election.

Sooner in Tampa
9/5/2007, 10:26 AM
I couldn't sleep.

I found some chocolate cake in the kitchen just before I read this...

Coincidence?

I think not.
:hot:
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/C/k/nagin_forrestnagin.jpg

Sooner in Tampa
9/5/2007, 10:27 AM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/D/k/nagin_chocolate_factory.jpg

Sooner in Tampa
9/5/2007, 10:30 AM
If I were in the Army...this would **** me off

http://www.shreve.net/%7Edennisd/nagin2.jpg

47straight
9/5/2007, 11:10 AM
TU, I like Bobby Jindal from what I've seen. I'm nowhere near as conservative as he is, but he seems smart and less corrupt than the average bear. Blanco seemed like she had her head up her ***, perpetually.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/5/2007, 12:07 PM
I heard Les Miles is running "Let Er Rip"

IronSooner
9/5/2007, 12:51 PM
Louisiana = Chocolate State?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/5/2007, 01:36 PM
I heard Les Miles is running "Let Er Rip"If he beats Florida and Bammer, he might OWN the state.

TUSooner
9/5/2007, 02:34 PM
Louisiana = Chocolate State?
Nope. We got plenty of rednecks in the piney woods & up north & stuff. And Cajuns out west.

TMcGee86
9/5/2007, 02:57 PM
A 19% approval rating and he wants to be to the freakin guvner...what a dip****.

Yeah but you gotta remember that only 25% of the city's population is still there, so really it's like an 80% approval rating! :D

jeremy885
9/5/2007, 04:14 PM
It's Louisiana, he can't really screw it up worse.

That could possibly work as his campaign slogan.

sanantoniosooner
9/5/2007, 04:24 PM
"Nagin Please"

Sooner in Tampa
9/5/2007, 04:30 PM
Yeah but you gotta remember that only 25% of the city's population is still there, so really it's like an 80% approval rating! :D:D:D:D:D:D

I never thought of that.