PDA

View Full Version : Who was there in 1985..........

Sooner24
9/4/2007, 10:53 PM
the last time we played Miami at home?

Soonerus
9/4/2007, 10:54 PM
I was there watching Troy....

DrZaius
9/4/2007, 11:01 PM
I was there.....:crying

Sooner24
9/4/2007, 11:03 PM
Anybody remember who the former OU great was that spoke at halftime?

King Crimson
9/4/2007, 11:09 PM
i was there, only time i've ever sat on the east side of the stadium.

OU Adonis
9/4/2007, 11:27 PM
I was there, north end zone with my mom and step dad at the time. My very first OU home game.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/4/2007, 11:27 PM
Me. And if I could just remember who I went with, I could sleep peacefully tonight. Now it's going to bug me.

ouwasp
9/4/2007, 11:31 PM
North end zone. Dad & I. When we left that dismal day we never dreamed a Nat'l Championship was in the making. A Sooner one that is...

My son and Dad and I will watch this one on tv.....

PLaw
9/4/2007, 11:32 PM
I was there with my Dad - and watched Jerome Brown break Troy's leg. In hindsight, it was probably the best thing that every happened to Troy, or OU. Barry gets Troy set up at UCLA in a pro-style offense and Holieway leads the Sooners with da 'bone to a MNC.

BOOMER
PLaw

insuranceman_22
9/4/2007, 11:50 PM
I was there......I remember Troy going down, but I remember the pre-game festivities with Boz & comp. at mid-field with those orange and green bastards! I wish this game was the 79 to 10 game......Now that I've got that off my chest, I can't wait till Sat. @ 11.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/4/2007, 11:52 PM
Come to think of it, I was also there in 1988 vs. Nebraska when Charles Thompson broke his leg.

pb4ou
9/4/2007, 11:58 PM
I watched it on TV :D

I was a poor teenager at the time. :(

Piware
9/4/2007, 11:58 PM
I was there and it was a roller coaster day. The sick feeling when Troy went down, then watching Jamelle come off the bench. I've been waiting 20 years for this and I'm anxious for Saturday.

goingoneight
9/5/2007, 12:42 AM
Come to think of it, I was also there in 1988 vs. Nebraska when Charles Thompson broke his leg.

Sam Bradford says "STAY HOME!!!" :texan:

FlatheadSooner
9/5/2007, 12:52 AM
I was there. Seemed like Testaverde had a pretty good game. Jimmy Johnson's hair was emaculate.

william_brasky
9/5/2007, 01:43 AM
Brasky was there and has been emotionally scarred since that day.

KantoSooner
9/5/2007, 01:56 AM
I was there in the student section.
and it sucked.
(not the seats or the section, but the game).

We can never beat Miami by too many points.

CtheB
9/5/2007, 05:27 AM
There....terrible experience.

AlbqSooner
9/5/2007, 06:10 AM
I was there. The feeling leaving the stadium was one of great disappointment that our season was now left in the hands of a true freshman QB. We had no idea how the season would turn out.

tigepilot
9/5/2007, 06:43 AM
Can't say I was there but I do remember watching it on TV... I was quite young and it's my earliest visual memory of watching an OU football game. I don't actually remember a lot of the games I watched when I was a kid, even as I became an older kid, but I DO remember that one.

I try to explain to my non-football-loving Brit wife who has only been here for the last 12 years how big this game is and she just doesn't get it.

Norman Sooner
9/5/2007, 07:12 AM
I was there, granted i was only 6 but i was there.

OUrules
9/5/2007, 07:12 AM
Watched it on TV but remember my disgust in watching Color Blind Vinny running around like a freaking gazelle that could not be stopped. Ooooh the pain..... I have been looking forward to this revenge game for a loooooong time. Can't wait to get there and see the dismantling in person.....F the U

crawfish
9/5/2007, 07:39 AM
I was in the band that year. I was in shock that we lost...

Testaverde did look good in that game. Aikman looked much better. It was no surprise to me which one went on to the better NFL career...

sanantoniosooner
9/5/2007, 07:43 AM
Vinny did pretty well for a guy who had squirrels sitting over each eye.

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 07:50 AM
the real story of that game (outside Jerome Brown stealing our lunch and making us like it) was the seemingly endless wide open deep balls in the post route for UM on 3rd and long. as i recall.

OUDoc
9/5/2007, 08:06 AM
I was there. Just a high school student back then.

OKLA21FAN
9/5/2007, 08:09 AM
i was there as well.

best sign hanging from Cate Center that day was:

"Old Aggies never die...........They just retire to Miami"

OklaPony
9/5/2007, 08:12 AM
Yep, I was there... and hoping for some sweet revenge this Saturday!

oupride
9/5/2007, 08:23 AM
The game was sold out in 1985 and I helped run a hot dog stand. I would run upstairs when we weren't too busy...but we were busy because there was so many people. I only saw about 4 plays I think, including the infamous tackle that broke Troy's ankle. I remember it as if it were yesterday. OU had the momentum up until that play. I am coming back for this one and I am looking forward to it!

Jacie
9/5/2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah I was there. It was early in the game, still 1st quarter I think. Even though the Sooners were behind, the feeling was we could comeback with THIS offense. Then disaster struck. Troy went down. We didn't know his and OUr future would turn out all right, just that a lotta people were clustered around him for quite awhile before he was carted off the field on a stretcher. And even though we were elated to see OU go back to the 'bone, losing at home hurt. But the real hate we have for the 'caines had yet to manifest in us. Remember, this was just the first of three losses to them and paradoxically, did NOT cost OU a National Championship like the losses in 86 and 87 would. As for Jimmy Johnson . . .

At the time everyone kinda laughed it off saying he finally found a way to beat OU after losing to em 5 times in a row as a cowhugger (still wish I had video of that final JJ-coached OU/OSU game in 83). It would take two more losses to the thugs from Florida for Sooners to go from laughing at Jimmy to despising him.

frankensooner
9/5/2007, 09:30 AM
I was there and we had a victory party planned for after the game.

SoonerJack
9/5/2007, 09:37 AM
King Crimson, you remember it just as I do. My girlfriend (now wife!) and I were there and kept thinking, "ok, we've got them into 3rd and long, we'll get the ball back." and then Testeverde would complete some impossible pass. I remember feeling that icy ball in your stomach feeling when Aikman went down. It was as though my whole fall was doomed. But then, we all know what happened. :-)

Can't wait for certain revenge this Saturday. I hope we beat them like a red-headed step child.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/5/2007, 09:47 AM
I was there with my dad in our seats in the North End Zone. I don't really remember that game too vividly. I have much greater memory of the Nebraska game at the end of the year. Keith Jackson around end 88 yards for the TD!

WisconsinSooner
9/5/2007, 09:53 AM
My lasting memory from the game was going from a feeling of "Wow it's Troy's breakout game as a Sooner" to "Oh S@%#" to "F#$% Miami & F%^$ Jimmy Johnson."

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 09:54 AM
King Crimson, you remember it just as I do. My girlfriend (now wife!) and I were there and kept thinking, "ok, we've got them into 3rd and long, we'll get the ball back." and then Testeverde would complete some impossible pass. I remember feeling that icy ball in your stomach feeling when Aikman went down. It was as though my whole fall was doomed. But then, we all know what happened. :-)

Can't wait for certain revenge this Saturday. I hope we beat them like a red-headed step child.

if by "impossible" you mean "wide open UM receiver".....i'd agree....;) :(

it was actually at that game i realized why my dad had been yelling obscenities at Bobby Proctor over the years.

stoopified
9/5/2007, 10:27 AM
Come to think of it, I was also there in 1988 vs. Nebraska when Charles Thompson broke his leg. STAY AWAT FOM THIS GAME.We need Slingin' Sammy to stay healthy.

KRYPTON
9/5/2007, 10:42 AM
That was my first game evv-arrr, thanks to my granddad. I had lived overseas for most of my childhood at that point and thus had no idea about the difference between I-formation or wishbone or any of that.

I remember the silence as Troy went down. Eerie.

No, no no... went down as in lay on the field with a broken leg, you perverts!

I came away from that game with a perfectly honed hatred of Miami, and for that, I also thank my grandfather. I learned that Texas and OSU were laughably pathetic, Nebraska was the Enemy but at least one that could be marginally respected, and that the only way to be sure about Miami was to nuke it from orbit.

mikeelikee
9/5/2007, 10:58 AM
I was there, in the South endzone stands. Sucked. Tony Casillas was hurt and didn't play. We could have used him. Spencer Tillman was also out for that game. Testaverde burned us for two TD passes, one to Irvin and one to Brian Blades, over the cornerback who was playing the position Andre Johnson would have played, had he not been in the car wreck with Stanberry the year before. We sure could have benefited from having him as well.

Time to turn the tables on the Canes!

47straight
9/5/2007, 10:59 AM
the real story of that game (outside Jerome Brown stealing our lunch and making us like it) was the seemingly endless wide open deep balls in the post route for UM on 3rd and long. as i recall.

And yet some folks around here still remember bobby proctor fondly.

My dad cussed that guy more than the IRS

sooner518
9/5/2007, 11:01 AM
I was 3 at the time, but my dad has passed on Miami hatred to me because of this and the subsequent 2 games. I cant wait for Sunday

william_brasky
9/5/2007, 12:32 PM
All the showboating and taunting in that game by the Canes was something I had not seen at that point in my life.

jkjsooner
9/5/2007, 12:37 PM
I was there. Back then we would sit in the student section with my older brother and sister. I was clearly too young to be a student. There would be about 20% more people on each row than should have been there.

I remember the entire Miami team taunting us before the game. I remember Miami heading towards the closed in and Testeverde connecting on a long bomb up the left side.

After the game I was really upset and I told my dad the season is over. He looked at me and said, "We're still in great shape to bring home the national title." :-)

NS5
9/5/2007, 12:55 PM
I was there too. But, now I regret not having meet any of you guys in
person. Go Sooners, Go Sooner Fans

j-dub
9/5/2007, 01:20 PM
I was 11. No one else in my family likes football. I cried. PLEASE - a pic of Jimmy Johnson from that era would be very helpful in making my UM ruined my childhood sign for the game.

frankensooner
9/5/2007, 01:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/eticket/20070102/photos/fiesta04.jpg

Gis it

sooner_born_1960
9/5/2007, 01:25 PM
I was there. I was also at the Nebraska game that year. And the Orange Bowl.

jkjsooner
9/5/2007, 01:27 PM
It would take two more losses to the thugs from Florida for Sooners to go from laughing at Jimmy to despising him.

For me it only took one more loss to really start despising them. By the end of the '86 game it was clear that their team was comprised of thugs. The "Bye, bye, Bosworth" chant sealed the deal.

The Maestro
9/5/2007, 03:00 PM
I was debuting as a Pepsi vendor in the North End Zone stands...an older guy had a heart attack before the game even started. I was spooked. Then came Jerome Brown. Troy was playing so well, too. But the legend of Jamelle began...I remember Michael Irvin making Rickey Dixon look bad a few times. They were just too good.

soonersweetie
9/5/2007, 03:02 PM
I was there with my dad in the north endzone. I was a freshman at OU at the time and like most everyone here, I had that sinking pit in my stomach as I watched Testaverde complete every pass that he wasn't supposed to.

I find it ironic that most of us seem to have sat in the north endzone :)

I will be there this Saturday, in the same seats (with my dad and hubby this time) watching the game and hoping for sweet revenge.

rufnek05
9/5/2007, 03:06 PM
i was in the womb this time in 1985.

sooneron
9/5/2007, 03:47 PM
I was there, but not really "there".

SoonerJLB
9/5/2007, 03:52 PM
I was with a few fraternity brothers with back packs full of beer and oranges and were sitting about 50 rows up from the Miami bench. After Aikmen went down, we unloaded a few oranges and one of mine richocheted off their bench and hit Jimma square in the ***. I am glad they didn't have youtube or cell camera in those days. :) My parents would have been proud.

German Corner
9/5/2007, 04:20 PM
Wisconsin Sooner

Your comments are the same as mine.

There's okla state, texas, south california. But my attitude is off the charts when it comes to the cocains.

Keep in mind the last time Coach Switzer went head to head to Jimmy Johnson, the Dallas Cowboys blew out the supposed coaching genius jimmy johnson coached Miami Dolphins (who I've always liked since the Csonka days of 17-0), with a healthy Dan Marino (who I greatly respect) and it was IN MIAMI! 29 to 10 was the score in front of 75,000 fans at Joe Robbie.

Well if a coach is a 'genius' then he doesn't get blown out at home, with a Hall Of Fame QB and also lose in the playoffs by the largest margin ever no does he?!!

The ibis thing adds to the brash reputation of the whole thug, miami thing.
I hope it decides to challenge the Schooner head on and play chicken.

Wishboned
9/5/2007, 04:33 PM
I was not there. I was in Henryetta watching the game and getting ready to leave for Korea.

I remember watching the game and just a general feeling of WTF?

I remember every where I went that evening the talk of the town was Troy getting hurt.

Then a year later I was getting ready to come home from Korea and got to watch another loss to Thug U.

I don't want OU to just beat Miami. I want them to devastate them. I want to see small children in Miami shirts crying, and old Miami fans clutching their chests in pain.

SoonerBorn68
9/5/2007, 05:04 PM
I was there. Section 105 Row 32 Seat 20. My grandfather was a season ticket holder for 40 years & had those seats (20 & 21) since they built the upper deck.

The thing I remember most about that game was the eerie hush of the crowd when Troy went down & being able to hear people yelling all the way down on the field.

OUfan7
9/5/2007, 05:06 PM
I was there all the way from Nashville, Tennessee. My first OU home game. Can't wait for Saturday. BOOMER SOONER!!!

Sooner24
9/5/2007, 06:16 PM
I was there with my dad in the north endzone. I was a freshman at OU at the time and like most everyone here, I had that sinking pit in my stomach as I watched Testaverde complete every pass that he wasn't supposed to.

I find it ironic that most of us seem to have sat in the north endzone :)

I will be there this Saturday, in the same seats (with my dad and hubby this time) watching the game and hoping for sweet revenge.

Section 17 Row 63 Seat 30 was where I was.

sanantoniosooner
9/5/2007, 06:18 PM
I was on a couch.

Who else was on a couch?

soonerboy_odanorth
9/5/2007, 06:36 PM
I was f'ing there. And I was f'ing there in the f'ing '88 f'ing Orange f'ing Bowl ('8f'ing7 season, just for f'ing clarification.)

f

Which reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker, and what I will be saying to just about any ibis in earshot:

f you you f'ing f!

jrsooner
9/5/2007, 09:08 PM
For me it only took one more loss to really start despising them.Totally despised them since then. It was in my first few years, there's a good chance the wife will take the kids and go someplace on saturday. It's not going to be pretty if we don't come with our a-game.

phead903
9/5/2007, 09:18 PM
I was watching it in a bar in Tulsa watching the game with a buddy of mine from Indianapolis that hated OU. He started laughing when Troy broke his ankle and I remember "accidentally" spilling my beer all over him!

I also remember my older sister being ****ed as hell, not because OU got beat, but because Jimmy Johnson was coaching Miami. She is an Aggy and was ****ed because JJ couldn't beat OU while at OSUck...

Austintaycious
9/5/2007, 09:27 PM
I was there...freshman year! Hated them ever since! Have to travel to Miami this weekend for a wedding...anybody know a place to watch that might have some Sooner fans? Please?!?!

Thousands Strong
9/5/2007, 10:50 PM
i was there too

couldn't believe the lack of sportsmanship shown by Miami in the pregame.

couldn't believe we had a quarterback who was completing all these passes.

couldn't believe he was knocked out of the game.

couldn't believe we got thumped.

bluedogok
9/5/2007, 10:54 PM
Section 4 Row 31 IIRC, seats right next to the ramp.

I was at that one as well, after the game I changed a flat in the sleet, we got back to the apartment and drank hot chocolate/Rumpleminze and watched football until we went to Interurban in the snow. We were rather ****ed off that day........

Smash
9/5/2007, 10:54 PM
watched on TV

Gawd I hate Miami.

I hate them as much as Notre Dame, USC & SAXET

A Sooner in Texas
9/5/2007, 11:18 PM
Hi guys...new here and am I loving i! Got so stoked by the N. Texas game. I wasn't at the '85 game, but I was at the '88 OB and I've never seen nastier people than those UM fans. I want our Sooners to absolutely destroy the 'canes - but I'm also worried about us getting too cocky.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/5/2007, 11:51 PM
STAY AWAT FOM THIS GAME.We need Slingin' Sammy to stay healthy.

ALL RIGHT ALREADY, I'm 1500 miles away for crying out loud.:)