PDA

View Full Version : Heavy rain for OU/Miami...

Soonerus
9/4/2007, 10:04 PM
...who does it favor...I tihnk OU...

CatfishSooner
9/4/2007, 10:05 PM
whY?

OUHOMER
9/4/2007, 10:09 PM
just because

CtheB
9/4/2007, 10:09 PM
I agree, it favors OU primarily because I am a fan and I want it that way. :)

Seriously, I think it favors us because I think we have the ability to run it inside a little better than they do.

Soonerus
9/4/2007, 10:10 PM
O-line and home field...

85sooners
9/4/2007, 10:16 PM
:pop:

Soonerus
9/4/2007, 10:18 PM
:oink: ...

King Crimson
9/4/2007, 10:18 PM
i don't like extra variables.

Sooner98
9/4/2007, 10:24 PM
Me neither. Upsets tend to happen that way.

Octavian
9/4/2007, 10:27 PM
Hopefully it makes their mediocre passing game a non-existent passing game.

Scott D
9/4/2007, 10:27 PM
especially when the other team has a talented running back that we were recruiting.

XingTheRubicon
9/4/2007, 10:28 PM
The U has struggled passing and ran pretty well, and we struggled a little running in the trenches, so.....

It doesn't mean anything.

2000 OU-TX and 2003 OU-A&M was wet.

Soonerus
9/4/2007, 10:28 PM
It becomes mano-y-mano who can run wins those games...

soonerspudman
9/4/2007, 10:44 PM
Heavy rain in September makes me think of circa 1982 when Stanford and a sophomore named John Elway came to town. That was a dismal day for sooner fans but one of those lucky moments when you see a great player coming out.

Good to know that I've seen Miami's QB and he is no John Elway...

KC//CRIMSON
9/4/2007, 10:56 PM
Will you get all emotional if the field gets flooded?

Indy Sooner
9/4/2007, 11:00 PM
Heavy rain in September makes me think of circa 1982 when Stanford and a sophomore named John Elway came to town. That was a dismal day for sooner fans but one of those lucky moments when you see a great player coming out.

Elway's gay?

CatfishSooner
9/4/2007, 11:02 PM
Atleast we know Bradford can still play in the Rain (the last scrimmage) and Hartley kicks good in it...

King Crimson
9/4/2007, 11:15 PM
i was at that Stanford game. my dad cut off the sleeves and legs of a white golf rain suit and re-secured them around my ankles and wrists with rubber bands....and we went to that game as usual.

even though we lost, i learned something that day.

Soonerus
9/4/2007, 11:26 PM
I was at the Stanford game too...kept thinking who is this lucky QB connecting on long passes...

illinisooner
9/4/2007, 11:27 PM
Wet field maybe neutralizes their team speed? Speaking of team speed, I'm setting the over/under on that phrase being used in the TV broadcast at 25.

ouwasp
9/4/2007, 11:34 PM
Where are the wise U fans saying something like "heavy rains are like home to a Hurricane"?

I remember being anxious about rain being forecast for tx 2000 :D

aurorasooner
9/4/2007, 11:39 PM
Hopefully it'll stay down south, but I don't know. The OU weather wizards should have a professional estimate on this. Maybe it's a good sign, a hurricane downgraded to a low pressure area. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/ep200711.gifhttp://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/ep200711_model.gif

insuranceman_22
9/4/2007, 11:47 PM
I remember Stanford as well......I think rain or shine, we'll have the advantage. This game is in Norman and there are plenty of us who do remember the last time the canes were in town and we're ready to scream our collective *** off at them! Even with rain, this could be something special for those of us who have followed for 20+ years!

bstuff1979
9/5/2007, 08:50 AM
http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/sports/weather/tenday/73019?eventid=217309&epc=WXSP&from=/outlook/events/sports/result?x=15&when=thisweek&lswe=norman%2C+ok&lswa=SportingEventsQuery&GO=GO&attrib=WXSP&from=sportsopt2&y=10

Only a 30% chance of rain.

RacerX
9/5/2007, 08:51 AM
...who does it favor...I tihnk OU...

What if all of Norman floods?!?!?!?!?!

OMG!!!!!!

Miami1Fan
9/5/2007, 09:05 AM
we practice in the rain - no indoor practice fields. so its not really something that will be a big deal to our players. and we're going to want to pound the ball anyway so wet conditions are fine.

at the same time I figure with allen patrick coming back that's a boost to your grind it out prospects. Murray is a big play guy but patrick is a proven between the tackles runner. Murray's cutting ability will be hurt by wet conditions. the one thing that i'm curious about is will wet conditions possibly help cause patrick to re aggravate the ankle with the potential poor field conditions.

SoonerBK
9/5/2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah cause it never rains in Miami.:rolleyes:

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 09:11 AM
I was at the Stanford game too...kept thinking who is this lucky QB connecting on long passes...

what you should of been thinking was "why does Bobby Proctor suck so much"....a question we should re-visit in the 1985 OU-Miami thread (with a big shout out to Don Nehlen and Jeff Hostetler).

that and Elway was great, but never went to a bowl at Stanford.

j-dub
9/5/2007, 09:13 AM
HELP! I'm new on these boards (first post), and I'm going to the game on Saturday. I really really need a big picture of Jimmy Johnson from his days in Miami.

BOOMER!

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 09:15 AM
HELP! I'm new on these boards (first post), and I'm going to the game on Saturday. I really really need a big picture of Jimmy Johnson from his days in Miami.

BOOMER!

try google image search. i doubt many of us have one as our screen saver.

j-dub
9/5/2007, 09:30 AM
try google image search. i doubt many of us have one as our screen saver.

No doubt! I tried GIS, but the only pics I could find were really small, and I really want to make a big sign for the game.

For the record, I loath Miami almost as much as Texas.

birddog
9/5/2007, 09:44 AM
how big of a picture do you need from the computer to make a big sign?

birddog
9/5/2007, 09:45 AM
dammit aurora, you screwed up my screen with that huge map.

hey, j dub, perhaps you should ask aurora how to get a big picture.

SOONER STEAKER
9/5/2007, 09:50 AM
We spent thousands of dollars on that field so it would drain properly. Rain will only affect the game if we run out of dry footballs.

Back in the Stanford day, the field had a huge crown and water would gather on the hashmarks down to the sidelines, we have corrected that probem so the rain won't be a factor at all.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/5/2007, 09:52 AM
Only 20% according to the national weather service...

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Norman&state=OK&site=OUN

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 10:00 AM

right on.

stoopified
9/5/2007, 10:07 AM
The U has struggled passing and ran pretty well, and we struggled a little running in the trenches, so.....

It doesn't mean anything.

2000 OU-TX and 2003 OU-A&M was wet.
Well we do have OUr #1 and #2 TBs back,ad they are OUr best downhill,smashmouth runners.

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 10:12 AM
it rained in the top 10 ISU/Seneca Wallace game as well. of course, out of state we only got to see the first half.

also the CU game in 02? the Barney Mulligan game. and then we drilled them in the conference championship game again.

BoomerGirl34
9/5/2007, 10:27 AM
I'm no Gary Mitchell or Rick Morgan....

But it looks like this she-it will be moving through on Friday.

OKC-SLC
9/5/2007, 10:30 AM
Hopefully it makes their mediocre passing game a non-existent passing game.
I don't think we'll need the rain for this.

FaninAma
9/5/2007, 10:49 AM
Stoop's teams seem to thrive in rainy weather. I can't think of a rainy weather game where OU has struggled since Stoops has been here.

stoopified
9/5/2007, 11:00 AM

BOOMER!
I have a well-used dartboard target you can have. :D

yermom
9/5/2007, 11:15 AM
Stoop's teams seem to thrive in rainy weather. I can't think of a rainy weather game where OU has struggled since Stoops has been here.

that's what i was thinking too

we've never lost when i was wet :D

dolemitesooner
9/5/2007, 11:24 AM
OMG ...RAIN....NO ...THIS...CAN'T...BE ...HAPPPENING...TO....US.....god

47straight
9/5/2007, 12:10 PM
Rain favors them inasmuch as it favors upsets and affects passing. They don't have a passing game to be affected, so it only hurts us. Rain disfavors them inasmuch as they were hoping to blast Crank It Soulja Boy so their mascot could dance around all cool like and intimidate us, but the rain will ruin their portable speaker system.

Zing
9/5/2007, 12:21 PM
To whoever was looking for a big image: Take the small one, and Rasterbate it:

http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

NS5
9/5/2007, 01:11 PM

Good to know that I've seen Miami's QB and he is no John Elway...

Gosh, I was just thinking of that game. I was in the south end zone with
my poncho on and still soaked to the bone. Thanks to my friend Jack, I made
it through the 36-6 fiasco.

Animal Mother
9/5/2007, 03:35 PM
I’ve lived in this part of the world all my life. A forecast on Tuesday for rain on Saturday means about as much as the pre-season ranking of a Mack Brown recruiting class.

soonerspudman
9/5/2007, 03:38 PM
Gosh, I was just thinking of that game. I was in the south end zone with
my poncho on and still soaked to the bone. Thanks to my friend Jack, I made
it through the 36-6 fiasco.

You must have had a great view of the Elway pass in the south end zone that slipped right through Mike Riley's hands and hit the Stanford receiver in the chest for a TD. Nothing went right that day...

Animal Mother
9/5/2007, 04:53 PM
Then we lost to Texazz and the Daily Jokelahoman wrote us off for the year. Then Buster Rhymes and J.C. put it on the Bugeaters in Lincoln and then J.C. and Steve Rhoades and Forest Valora put it on FSU in the Orange bowl. ESPNU ran that OB game from 01/01/1981 just last week. The NFL scouting consortium proved their lack of vision by letting J.C. go Canuck.

soonersam
9/5/2007, 05:09 PM
just because
Ive always loved that response.....

arlington
9/5/2007, 07:17 PM
I agree, i dont want extra variables. And i think rain favors Miami because they have no passing game and the only way they can consistently score is there D forcing turnovers and running the ball. If its a blizzard and we are no threat to pass, we cant use all our weapons and may be prone to turning the ball over after they load up to stop the run. Bad weather always hurts the most versatile offense more than the 1 dimensional one

TheUnnamedSooner
9/6/2007, 10:00 AM

Now they say 40%

Which means 60% of no rain right?

Hot Rod
9/6/2007, 10:11 AM
Now, it makes me wonder how much Channel 5 will break into the game to tell us it is raining outside on Saturday. I'll be at the game, but DVR'ing it, and don't want to come home and watch "breaking news" about a few drops.

Hot Rod
9/6/2007, 10:12 AM
(this space reserved)

KEGTOP
9/6/2007, 11:11 AM
I hope the rain can hold off during the game

Jewstin
9/6/2007, 11:13 AM
A storm this Saturday ... and we're playing the Miami Hurricanes ...

COINCIDENCE!?

(This comes on the heels of every single Miami fan saying, "a storm's coming for Norman" ... more like a tropical storm. Noobs.)

soonerspudman
9/6/2007, 05:28 PM
Now showing 70% chance of heavy rain for Saturday...

soonersweetie
9/6/2007, 06:29 PM
didn't know how to paste the pic here, but according to the nbc affiliate in OKC, 100% chance of rain on Saturday

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=636341&nav=6uy7ZMoa

here's the link, hopefully it works.

Dio
9/6/2007, 06:35 PM
didn't know how to paste the pic here, but according to the nbc affiliate in OKC, 100% chance of rain on Saturday

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=636341&nav=6uy7ZMoa

here's the link, hopefully it works.

Well, considering these were the same guys predicting 15" of snow one weekend last winter and all it did was rain, we should probably dig out the sunscreen.

Miami1Fan
9/6/2007, 08:44 PM
weather channel says 40% chance of scattered t-storms. has it been raining already?

soonerspudman
9/6/2007, 10:36 PM
A storm this Saturday ... and we're playing the Miami Hurricanes ...

COINCIDENCE!?

(This comes on the heels of every single Miami fan saying, "a storm's coming for Norman" ... more like a tropical storm. Noobs.)

Ah grasshopper, do not fear, the winds bring only the remnants of a former Hurricane, like a dog that has been neutered...

birddog
9/6/2007, 10:46 PM
if it rains, our receivers are going to burn the hell out of miami's defensive backs all day long. it's hard enough to keep up with malcolm, wakeen, demarco, etc. on a dry field. one slip or misstep and those guys are gone.

whatever the hell happens, i'm there.

soonersn2007
9/6/2007, 10:58 PM
Here is a forecast surface map for Saturday morning from Intellicast. I am assuming the field has good drainage, but even if the rain stops before the game...........it looks like the leftover of Henriette will have the field soaked.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/271/mapkv5.th.jpg (http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mapkv5.jpg)

douxpaysan
9/6/2007, 11:45 PM
Ah grasshopper, do not fear, the winds bring only the remnants of a former Hurricane, like a dog that has been neutered...
...the metaphor is clear brothers and sisters...the remnants of a former powerful Hurricane, amounts to nothing more than a wet weekend.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/7/2007, 11:27 AM
Now they say 40%

Which means 60% of no rain right?

National weather service now says 70%.

BoomerGirl34
9/7/2007, 11:31 AM
News 9 has early noon news due to tennis coverage. They claim that the heaviest flooding rains will be near Grand Lake and up in N. Okla.

Their projected rainfall for Norman in the next 24 hours?
A half inch.

Bring it!

I'm SO READY for the game!

Animal Mother
9/7/2007, 04:36 PM
Rain only means we will find out who our best “mudder” is Saturday. The Leroy Kelly of the 2007 Sooners as it were. He played on the Cleveland Browns in the 60s and 70s. Ask any Browns fan. They’ll back me up.

yermom
9/7/2007, 04:40 PM
was his father a mudder?

Miko
9/7/2007, 04:42 PM
was his father a mudder?

I don't know.

THIRD BASE.:pop:

Tiptonsooner
9/7/2007, 05:52 PM
I've been looking forward to this game since it was scheduled, rain is the least of my concerns this close to game time. I pray for no injuries.

Crucifax Autumn
9/8/2007, 01:07 AM
Rain will definitely favor our offense with our stable of backs. What's more, despite the opponent's name, name me one Oklahoma boy who hasn't been tossing the ball around in the wind since age 3.

Besides...we'd kick their *** in any weather.

soonersn2007
9/8/2007, 08:02 AM
Just looked at the radar, it looks like the main body of rain is gonna be north and east of Norman. Should be damp and probaly drizzly but no down pour unless things really change in the next 3 hours.

Ash
9/8/2007, 08:10 AM
Just looked at the radar, it looks like the main body of rain is gonna be north and east of Norman. Should be damp and probaly drizzly but no down pour unless things really change in the next 3 hours.

It's downpouring right now.

SeattleOUstudent
9/8/2007, 10:08 AM
yikes....its bring and sunny here in Dallas