PDA

View Full Version : Can Tech ever win the Big XII?

Jacie
9/4/2007, 07:59 PM
This isn't a diss of Mike Leach. His unconventional offense powered Oklahoma to 7-5 in '99, and in fact, OU led in every game at some point. His team is always at or near the top in total passing yards for all teams in D-1A every year. He hasn't had a losing record since taking over at Tech. Leach earned his head coaching position. But for all the record-setting and unreal passing yardage statistics his teams have piled up over the years, TT hasn't won a conference title. Their best finish under Leach was in 2005, 6-2 in conference games tied for second with Oklahoma.

Is the problem:

Tech having Oklahoma and saxet on opposite sides of their schedule (one at home and one away) every year?

Leach's inability to field a decent defense?

Tech's location in Lubbock too much of a detriment to entice enough (any) 4 and 5 star recruits to come play there?

Familiarity with Leach's offense has diminished it's effectiveness?

This year, Tech has been projected to finish 5th in the South Division, only slightly better than Baylor. Is it time for Leach to rethink his offensive strategy? If not bringing home a South Division title isn't reason enough, that Baylor is striving to run a version of Leach's offense might be the tipping point. Perhaps Leach needs to come up with a new wrinkle for his version of the spread or entertain thoughts of taking his offense to another school, one in a conference where the teams haven't played TT every year since 2000. Or maybe I am completely offbase here. Maybe the Tech fans are satisfied winning 8-9 games/year, and are content with the progress Leach has made despite not delivering a single 10-win season. If so, then I am glad I am a Sooner!

MextheBulldog
9/4/2007, 08:04 PM
Until Tech/OSU and A&M for that matter can beat out OU and saxet for the top recruits in Texas, it ain't gonna happen. They may rise up once every blue moon, but not on a regular basis. The Tech fans I know seem to be satisified with Leach. The recent successes over A&M have gone a long way.

Widescreen
9/4/2007, 08:05 PM
Yes, they can win it if Leach ever decides that he needs a defense as good as his offense (which includes recruiting the athletes and getting a quality DC). Until that happens, TTU will stay right where they are.

Miko
9/4/2007, 08:11 PM
I"m no expert, but I don't think leach's problem is his fun offense. I think it has more to do with being in the same division as OU and tx when both are among the very elite.

Things do change. Heck, baylor has been nationally ranked before. I think they view football like KU does. Or like Americans view soccer. "Hey look! We won a game! Wow. Go team!!! Now, what were we talking about before?"

Sooners sit around in the off season saying, "Remember that MNC game in 85? or 00? or 55? etc etc." ut fans say "Remember vince? Or when grampa got to watch the horns win an MNC"

Tech fans say, "Remember that time we beat ut in 19whutever" or "Remember when we skrewed OU in Lubbuck??"

I think its a matter of perspective. And like Mizou going to the orange bowl, it will happen every once in a while.

CatfishSooner
9/4/2007, 08:13 PM
No, I don't think they can...

snp
9/4/2007, 08:24 PM
This is probably the last year for their DC Setencich who is a pretty terrible. Maybe they'll compete then but I still doubt it.

ouwasp
9/4/2007, 11:44 PM
Probably before osu.

Actually, I'm surprised Leach is still there. Figured he woulda jumped for greener gridirons by now.

OU Adonis
9/4/2007, 11:48 PM
The spread offense hurts having a good defense. He will never win a NC thats for sure.

aurorasooner
9/4/2007, 11:58 PM
Actually, I'm surprised Leach is still there. Figured he woulda jumped for greener gridirons by now. Leach has got one of the best jobs in college football. Pull in probably 1 to 1.5 mil a year, Win 8-9 games a year and go to a weedeater bowl and all of the sand aggies are happy. I don't particularly like west Texas, but it's probably not a bad place to raise kids, and pulling in head-coaching change would probably buy a heckuva spread. If he decides he doesn't want to put up with the administrative head coaching crap, I wouldn't mind seeing him come back to OU as OC and Mike come back as Co-DC with BV. That '99 OU/aTm game was an offensive thing of beauty. Arcee was sh&&&in' bricks.

PLaw
9/5/2007, 12:01 AM
As a 4th generation Okie and lifelong Sooner fan and a TTU alumni, I have a little different perspective.

Can TTU win a Big XII title? Sure, but the stars have to be properly aligned. For example, Bob retires and Mack has a heart attack. It's going to be awfully tough for Tech to beat OU, Texas, and TAMU in the same year. They get one, but it will be very difficult for them to get two or all three.

Leach's spread O is great, but there is something to the old addage that the best defense is a great offense that keeps the ball away from the other team. While high powered Tech offense can score quickly, it's the second part of keeping the ball away from the other team that is ultimately the problem.

BOOMER
PLaw

ouflak
9/5/2007, 04:51 AM
I bet some slight adjustments to how much time his players take in between plays would give that passing game even more of a boost. It will never take as much time off the clock as a true running game, or even a balanced attack, but it could definitely be tweaked for maximum effectiveness.

As others have stated, he could win the Big XII, but with Tech in the division/conference it is now, the stars will truly have to be aligned just right for it to happen. I don't think anything as drastic as head coaching changes at OU, UT and A&M are needed. However it would certainly require some home cooking, the ball bouncing the right way a few too many times, and some key people (coaches and players) having an off game at the wrong time.

I personally don't think Tech's defense is all that bad, but if you keep giving the opposing team so many opportunities, especially if they've got the talent, they're going to figure out ways to score eventually, and eventually, and eventually again.

OUHOMER
9/5/2007, 07:22 AM
his best players are on offense, they aren't on the field that much, maybe he needs to play some of them on defense on known passing plays. Put some of those fast receivers as defenders on long yardage plays.

i think if he can get a defense he has a chance

Texas Golfer
9/5/2007, 07:26 AM
Can they? Yes, they can. May they? No, they may not.

MamaMia
9/5/2007, 07:38 AM
Texas Techs toughest opponents are Oklahoma and Texas. Because their home games with those two teams alternate years, there is no way those insurance salesmen refs there in Lubbock can a cheat wins for them during the same season. So, in answer to your question...I seriously doubt it. :texan:

badger
9/5/2007, 08:26 AM
Texas Techs toughest opponents are Oklahoma and Texas. Because their home games with those two teams alternate years, there is no way those insurance salesmen refs there in Lubbock can a cheat wins for them during the same season. So, in answer to your question...I seriously doubt it. :texan:
whatev. a&m has the same gig where they play ou and texas at home and away each year too. as I do recall, they've split the games before, and last year, had the potential to win them both... if it weren't for their 12th man tradition :D:D:D

texas tech doesn't need to be a powerhouse. in anything. they're just happy winning, it seems. bobby knight in town to compete in basketball? cool. awesome passing offense to make things fun to watch? cool. NATIONAL TITLE HOPES!!! not really.

MamaMia
9/5/2007, 09:29 AM
whatev. a&m has the same gig where they play ou and texas at home and away each year too. as I do recall, they've split the games before, and last year, had the potential to win them both... if it weren't for their 12th man tradition :D:D:D

texas tech doesn't need to be a powerhouse. in anything. they're just happy winning, it seems. bobby knight in town to compete in basketball? cool. awesome passing offense to make things fun to watch? cool. NATIONAL TITLE HOPES!!! not really. "Potential" has never won a ball game.

AZSOONER
9/5/2007, 10:04 AM
atm did it, tt can too. Odds of doing it are slim, but it will happen. Maybe not in my lifetime, but they might re align the conference and put them in the north where they would be huge.

stoopified
9/5/2007, 11:03 AM
no to TT,osu,Baylor