PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Illus. Top 10 OU WRs,agree or disagree?

stoopified
9/4/2007, 02:21 PM
10 Travis Wilson
8(t)Buster Rhymes
8(t)Ben Hart
7 Mark Bradley
6 Antwone Savage
5 Malcolm Kelly
4 Billy Brooks
3 Tinker Owens
2 Eddie Hinton
1 Mark Clayton
The only name that sprised me on this list was Ben Hart,I have nomemory of him personally as I was only 6 when he finshed at OU in 1966.Not saying he should be excluded but he was not a name I heard a lot growing up.While I greatly respect Tinker and Billy.I don't think they should be ranked that high.Buster Rhymes at least IMHO was a better RB than WR.MY LIST:
10 Billy Brooks (if he had played more than 2 years,I might move him up.
9 Corey Warren-best wr of Gibbs era.
8 Tinker Owens made big plays every chance he got,chances were limited
7Derrick Shephard loved the guy RIP
6 Curtis Fagan-played in the shadow of Savage
5 Antwon Savage-Josh's best WR
4 Mark Bradley-big play waiting to happen
3 Eddie Hinton everyone knew Warmack was gonna throw to him,didn't matter
2 Mark Clayton -great playmaker
1Malcolm Kelly- great hands,size,speed,JUST GREAT. BTW I looked Hart up and he is listed at TE not WR.Anyhow that is my top 10.

oumartin
9/4/2007, 02:25 PM
I definately agree with their #1. Mark Clayton was the man
I hope to see Kelly #2 after he and Bradford lead OU to the NC.!
I am very partial to Mark Bradley after the OSU catch and A&M winner #3
#4 Savage and the way he shredded KSU in 2000 and of course he has a NC.

I vote with my heart! :D

goingoneight
9/4/2007, 02:34 PM
We used Trent Smith like a receiver a lot. Would you count him?

Flagstaffsooner
9/4/2007, 02:50 PM
The only name that sprised me on this list was Ben Hart,I have nomemory of him personally as I was only 6 when he finshed at OU in 1966.Not saying he should be excluded but he was not a name I heard a lot growing up.I remember the name well. He was drafted by the Saints. Like you I was young when he played. I met him in the late '80s. I was suprised by how short he was.

Billy Brooks..... 1973 whorns game, got to love him.

Rhino
9/4/2007, 02:57 PM
Where's Ahmed Kabba?

TheUnnamedSooner
9/4/2007, 03:05 PM
"we can find someone to..." eh, nevermind.

RedstickSooner
9/4/2007, 03:34 PM
I think we should count TEs in the list, as you never do top-TE lists for schools -- or seldom do, because nobody bothers. Accordingly, the #1 receiver should be Keith Jackson.

Just my humble opinion.

stoopified
9/4/2007, 04:23 PM
That is not true.I have seen several top 10 TE lists over the years.I did one several years ago,can't find it now but I can give one now.
10 Steve Zabel played TE and DE,made big plays both ways

9 Albert Chandler tough wishbone blocking
8 Joey Mickey- about 6'7 265 good blocker,average hands
7Victor Hicks crushing blocker
6 Ben Hart made plays on bad teams
5 Forest Valora made the most of his chances
4 Ricky Brady Gundy's security blanket
3 Trent Smith great hands,blocking?
2 Stephen Alexander good hans,good blocker
1 Keith Jackson was there any doubt?

SoonerStormchaser
9/4/2007, 04:47 PM
Buster Rhymes played for us?
http://www.mtv.com/news/photos/b/busta_hair/flip.jpg

Rogue
9/4/2007, 06:18 PM
Andre "Two Way" Woolfolk.

OK, he wasn't really called "Two Way."

critical_phil
9/4/2007, 06:35 PM
Andre "Two Way" Woolfolk.

OK, he wasn't really called "Two Way."

Two Way is what 1TC calls Mongo.

josh09
9/4/2007, 07:03 PM
Josh Norman should be on there.

King Crimson
9/4/2007, 07:10 PM
****ing Steve Rhodes is IN the top 10. Sooner youtube highlights from 76-80 might as well be the Steve Rhodes show. big play=Steve Rhodes.

Buster was a better HB in the bone than WR. but, also great at stealing a teammates stereo from time to time.

birddog
9/4/2007, 07:26 PM
i don't know anything about tommy mcdonald but i always hear what a great player he was.

Soonermagik
9/4/2007, 07:27 PM
Recent sooners I can think of Brandon Jones, Mark Bradley, Malcom Kelly just to name a few.

usmc-sooner
9/4/2007, 07:40 PM
I'd probably put Fagan and Brandon Jones ahead of Wilson but it doesn't really matter.

stoopified
9/5/2007, 10:13 AM
Wilson was a good wr but not a cluthch guy,doesn't make my top 10.A case can be nade that Steve Rhodes is in Owens -Brooks class,not many chances but made the most of them .
Birddog Tommy was a great WR in the NFL,but a RB at OU.

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 10:15 AM
you people are too young or high or fetishing the last few years to not have Steve Rhodes on your list.

i'm in disbelief. can i get a witness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgI396kJlOc

and he's part of the hook and lateral that beats Nebraska in 76.

stoopified
9/5/2007, 11:15 AM
you people are too young or high or fetishing the last few years to not have Steve Rhodes on your list.

Check my post right above yours,I agree a case can be made for Rhodes.The hard part is who to leave off.

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 11:23 AM
i could easily leave off Buster or Travis Wilson. how many youtube highlights of them are there making game-winning plays? though, the big run Buster makes at NU ought to be there. but, that's as a back in the bone.

Landthief 1972
9/5/2007, 11:38 AM

Man, J.C. Watts' throwing mechanics were U-G-L-Y. Worked, tho, I guess. :)

DarrellZero
9/5/2007, 04:19 PM
i could easily leave off Buster or Travis Wilson. how many youtube highlights of them are there making game-winning plays? though, the big run Buster makes at NU ought to be there. but, that's as a back in the bone.

Wasn't Rhymes kicked off the team for stealing? I don't think that should be honored.

King Crimson
9/5/2007, 04:26 PM
Wasn't Rhymes kicked off the team for stealing? I don't think that should be honored.

i think he sat out a year, see my post #13 in this thread. Buster coveted his neighbors stereo.

jtothep
9/5/2007, 04:41 PM
Quentin Chaney and Fred Strong are two that I noticed missing right off the bat.

SoonerBorn68
9/5/2007, 05:18 PM
Now I realize we throw the ball a bunch more than we use to but 5 of those players are Stoops'. I'm thinking the author of the article is a youngun.

Leroy Lizard
9/5/2007, 09:01 PM
No love for the Cabbinesses? I thought they were excellent possession-type receivers.

Crucifax Autumn
9/6/2007, 01:28 AM
I agree with the Keith Jackson/Tight Ends comments...

And it's hard to compare all-time due to the changes in offense over the years. A lot of the older guys that played in the 'bone woulda been amazing in the recent offenses, from the spread stuff when Stoops arrived all the way to now. I'd also have to say that some of the older guys that looked so good in the old days may have benefitted in YPC and "amazing" plays as much from the system as the spread guys did simply because they had their plays set up so well from the constant and almost exclusive running.

No way to really say who's best.