PDA

View Full Version : Children of the Corn or Village of the Damned?

Scott D
9/4/2007, 12:26 PM
bwahahahaha...

Callahan gets new five-year deal at Nebraska
Posted 19m ago
LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson has announced that coach Bill Callahan has been given a new, five-year contract for $1.75 million a year.

It will run through January 31st, 2012. Callahan's old contract was to run through 2008.

He's 23-15 in four seasons with the Cornhuskers, winning the Big 12 North championship last year.

The 51-year-old Callahan signed a six-year contract paying him a million and a half dollars a year when he was hired in January 2004.

Callahan coached the Oakland Raiders to the Super Bowl after the 2002 season. He was fired by the Raiders in 2003 and was hired to replace Frank Solich at Nebraska.

Scott D
9/4/2007, 12:42 PM
Otherd is hiding from me right now btw. :mad:

OUDoc
9/4/2007, 12:43 PM
5 more years of average football.

cheezyq
9/4/2007, 12:47 PM
Solich was 58-19 at Nebraska, took NU to an MNC game and got canned. Callahan is 23-15, has yet to lead NU to a significant win, and gets a 5-year extension. I'm confused...when did NU become the oSu of the Big 12 north?

critical_phil
9/4/2007, 12:51 PM
23-15 gets you 1.75 large/year?

HEY, KOOL-AID!

aurorasooner
9/4/2007, 12:52 PM
Didn't they just renew Frankie's deal with some big bucks and an extension the year before they fired him? :confused: Seems to me if I was Pederson, I would've waited at least one more week. They look over Wake and get clocked in North Carolina, and Pederson will look like a dip.

Flagstaffsooner
9/4/2007, 01:02 PM
Pederson has to cover his ***.

royalfan5
9/4/2007, 01:03 PM
It's an extension for recruiting purposes. For all I know it's like the one that Mangino got that has no buyout for the school to fire him. And for the 50 millionth time, Solich left a program with little depth and speed due to poor recruiting. That 58-19 mark wasn't going to be near as shiny if he stayed much longer. And don't forget, Nebraska didn't deserve that National title shot in 2001, so don't act like it's that big of credit to him.

Position Limit
9/4/2007, 01:14 PM
nebraska blows. i cant believe so many corn fans buy into the myth that solich could not recruit. at least solich was able to give stoops a game. for the record, pederson might be the worst decision maker when it comes to football dealings since donnie duncan. he made a complete debacle out of the solich firing and all the while let bo pelini go. i would be livid if i were a husker fan. blind leading the blind.

royalfan5
9/4/2007, 01:19 PM
nebraska blows. i cant believe so many corn fans buy into the myth that solich could not recruit. at least solich was able to give stoops a game. for the record, pederson might be the worst decision maker when it comes to football dealings since donnie duncan. he made a complete debacle out of the solich firing and all the while let bo pelini go. i would be livid if i were a husker fan. blind leading the blind.Solich didn't recruit the skill players needed to make his offense work. There is no disputing that. Plus with the discipline problems and the failures of depth from his recruiting, I don't know how people couldn't see there were serious problems in the program. Did you know that NU played all of 2005 with a total of 3 scholarship DT's, and one of those was hurt most of the year? Do you think that Joe Dailey was going to be able to run the option at 200LB's and not get killed? Not too mention his poor decision making. What about our slow-*** defense, where was the speed that NU used to be known for? Doesn't Solich bear responsibility for that?

Edit: It also should be noted this is the first year that NU is dealing with a full deck in regards to the offensive line in sometime. The O-Line play and recruiting had dropped dramatically under Solich, and the last three years have been very patchwork. That's no longer the case.

JohnnyMack
9/4/2007, 01:20 PM
Pederson should have hired Pelini.

I still hate Bill Callahan.

Ash
9/4/2007, 01:46 PM
Solich didn't recruit the skill players needed to make his offense work. There is no disputing that. Plus with the discipline problems and the failures of depth from his recruiting, I don't know how people couldn't see there were serious problems in the program. Did you know that NU played all of 2005 with a total of 3 scholarship DT's, and one of those was hurt most of the year? Do you think that Joe Dailey was going to be able to run the option at 200LB's and not get killed? Not too mention his poor decision making. What about our slow-*** defense, where was the speed that NU used to be known for? Doesn't Solich bear responsibility for that?

Edit: It also should be noted this is the first year that NU is dealing with a full deck in regards to the offensive line in sometime. The O-Line play and recruiting had dropped dramatically under Solich, and the last three years have been very patchwork. That's no longer the case.

He inherited his discipline problems from St. Tom...just sayin'.

Position Limit
9/4/2007, 01:50 PM
i'm not really defending solich. i just think pederson is a low life, in over his head. bo pelini would have you guys where you want to be today. you're not going to get there with callahan running things. solich's problem was the same as gibbs. he wanted to put his own identity on his team. he strayed from a proven offense that osborne perfected. pederson should have had an ace in the hole for a hire before he ran off solich. he had pelini but was too arrogant to keep him. didn't pelini dominate the bowl game he was coaching in after the solich fire? now he's got the best defense around and you guys are stuck with callahan. this is a guy you settled on. nobody else gave you a whiff.

royalfan5
9/4/2007, 01:51 PM
He inherited his discipline problems from St. Tom...just sayin'.
He didn't fix them either. Just sayin'. Also as a note, Solich has had somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 player arrests in just over two years at Ohio, and that's not including his own arrest.

royalfan5
9/4/2007, 01:54 PM
i'm not really defending solich. i just think pederson is a low life, in over his head. bo pelini would have you guys where you want to be today. you're not going to get there with callahan running things. solich's problem was the same as gibbs. he wanted to put his own identity on his team. he strayed from a proven offense that osborne perfected. pederson should have had an ace in the hole for a hire before he ran off solich. he had pelini but was too arrogant to keep him. didn't pelini dominate the bowl game he was coaching in after the solich fire? now he's got the best defense around and you guys are stuck with callahan. this is a guy you settled on. nobody else gave you a whiff.
I don't call 17-3 totally dominating. Pelini was also very inexperienced and a loose cannon. e.g. Confronting Bill Synder after a game, and getting the team a 15 yrd penalty for going after the refs. Solich's problem wasn't that he strayed from Osborne's offense, it was that he couldn't recruit or call plays for it very well. Plus, Callahan has won as many North Division titles as Solich already. Also, you might have noticed that Pelini hasn't been hired as a head coach by anyone else yet either. Also, his defense has been shredded in some big games.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/4/2007, 02:02 PM
He didn't fix them either. Just sayin'. Also as a note, Solich has had somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 player arrests in just over two years at Ohio, and that's not including his own arrest.

Didn't Solich prove to be legal? It's not like every program is clean now. And again, how can you bag on Solich when Tom had serious problems with his players?

Callahan hasn't proven anything at all at Nebraska! I guess he's running a fairly clean program, but I still say he should have booted Darren DeLone's *** off the team for assalting that Rufnek. Taunt or not, it was well over the line and there is no way in hell it was an accident. He's on the list.

Position Limit
9/4/2007, 02:03 PM
if pelini is a loose cannon, what the hell does that make callahan? pelini went after a ref, and callahan throat slashed a ref. etc... me thinks you're whistling past the graveyard. so what callahan has won the north one time. whoopdie do. i could win the north one time these days. at least ksu and colorado where decent 3 to 4 years ago.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/4/2007, 02:05 PM
if pelini is a loose cannon, what the hell does that make callahan? pelini went after a ref, and callahan throat slashed a ref. etc... me thinks you're whistling past the graveyard. so what callahan has won the north one time. whoopdie do. i could win the north one time these days. at least ksu and colorado where decent 3 to 4 years ago.

Come on, you couldn't win the north.

royalfan5
9/4/2007, 02:09 PM
Callahan didn't get the team a penalty with his actions. Pelini wasn't experienced enough to run a program like Nebraska. He was one year removed from being a pro position coach. Callahan has dramatically improved the depth and athleticism from the end of Solich's tenure. NU is heading in the right direction, and I think will surprise a lot of people this year.

royalfan5
9/4/2007, 02:30 PM
Apparently the extension does not have a buyout, so don't get too excited about it. I would expect that real extension will replace it if Nebraska breaks through this year.