PDA

View Full Version : Saturday We'll Have Our Own Clash Of The Titans

Scott D
9/4/2007, 12:23 PM
In this corner..at 6'8" weighing 280 lbs, playing Defensive End...from The University of Miami....Calais Campbell.

And his opponent...at 6'8" weighing a svelt 350 lbs, at Right Tackle...from The University of Oklahoma....Phil Loadholt.

The earth is going to shake people....bring seatbelts to the game ;)

OUDoc
9/4/2007, 12:27 PM
The Oklahoman kept playing up the "Loadholt hasn't played anyone his size before" without mentioning that the reverse is probably true as well, plus Campbell is giving up 70 pounds. I hope Loadholt can keep up with him, speed-wise.
Thank God we've got a guy his size this year.

cheezyq
9/4/2007, 12:39 PM
The Oklahoman kept playing up the "Loadholt hasn't played anyone his size before" without mentioning that the reverse is probably true as well, plus Campbell is giving up 70 pounds. I hope Loadholt can keep up with him, speed-wise.
Thank God we've got a guy his size this year.

I saw the same article, and it mentioned that Marshall supposedly couldn't get off a screen pass because of Campbell's size. I got the feeling that they were saying that OUr strategy for North Texas might not work. What they failed to mention is that even though Bradford threw a lot of screen passes, he still had to get them over Loadholt.

Scott D
9/4/2007, 12:41 PM
I saw the same article, and it mentioned that Marshall supposedly couldn't get off a screen pass because of Campbell's size. I got the feeling that they were saying that OUr strategy for North Texas might not work. What they failed to mention is that even though Bradford threw a lot of screen passes, he still had to get them over Loadholt.

saw that play on espnu this morning. QB dropped back and the back ran to his spot just beyond Campbell who was decently blocked by his man. As soon as the screen was thrown Campbell recognized it, jumped up with his hands up and caught the ball in his left hand where he was tackled by 3 players almost immediately. So, no screens to his side. The guy is very athletic and Miami's best player in the front four.

Widescreen
9/4/2007, 01:07 PM
You can still run screens to his side. It depends on how he's blocked. Plus, there are a lot of 6'4" to 6'5" DE's that can also bat a ball down and people aren't scared to run screens. Still, I'm sure it would be a lot easier on the other side just given the guy's overall athleticism.

Ash
9/4/2007, 01:15 PM
Phil has the size, but I hope he has the footwork and technique to keep Campbell in front of him. This is going to probably be his biggest test of the year, save some really speedy end down the line.

birddog
9/4/2007, 02:06 PM
:

from the d.o.

NORMAN — Last Saturday, it took a quarter and three sacks for Marshall to realize it couldn't block Miami's defensive line.
So to negate the pressure, the Thundering Herd tried a screen pass.

Tried.

Miami mammoth junior defensive end Calais Campbell read the play as he released off a blocker, tipped the pass with one hand and intercepted it.

For Oklahoma to be successful Saturday, the offensive tackles will need to keep perhaps the best defensive end in the country away from redshirt freshman quarterback Sam Bradford.

"Calais has the energy and enthusiasm of a little kid,” Miami coach Randy Shannon said. "I tell my guys to play like that, running around in the sun all day, never worrying about getting tired, and your mom has to drag you inside to eat dinner.

"That's how Calais plays.”

Campbell may play like a kid, but he looks like a giant.

At 6-foot-8, he's one of the tallest players ever to attend Miami. For most of Saturday, he'll match up against the tallest player in OU history, 6-8 left tackle Phil Loadholt.

"That's the first time I've faced anybody my height,” said Loadholt, who does outweigh Campbell 350 pounds to 285.

Last season, Campbell earned all-ACC honors after leading the league in tackles for loss (20.5) and forced fumbles (3) and finishing third in sacks (10.5).

In high school, Campbell was recruited by a host of schools — including OU — after setting the Colorado state record for career sacks with 57.

NFL draft prognosticators have Campbell going as a top-five pick, if he decides to declare himself eligible after this season.

But because Campbell isn't alone on the defensive line, it makes it difficult for opposing offenses to consistently double-team him.

In fact, of Miami's six sacks against Marshall, Campbell didn't have one.

"They're some pretty athletic dudes, maybe the best we'll see all year,” right tackle Branndon Braxton said. "Campbell gets all the publicity because he's so big, but even the (backups) can play.”

The Hurricanes are so deep at defensive end with Eric Moncur, Vegas Franklin and Courtney Harris that Shannon occasionally will play all four ends on third down to augment his pass rush.

"They have a lot of speed,” offensive line coach James Patton said. "For our guys it ought to be a big challenge.

"We'll know what's coming and we'll prepare for it.

Miami's defensive strengths, however, don't stop with Campbell and the defensive front.

The Hurricanes returned all four starters in the secondary, including junior safety Kenny Phillips, who also is expected to be a top-10 NFL Draft pick.

Last Saturday, Miami picked off four Marshall passes.

"Their defense has excellent players up front you see flying around really causing a lot of trouble,” coach Bob Stoops said. "They're really solid in the secondary and at the 'backers.

"Guys who are really good players who make plays.”

Based on his performance this season, junior defensive end Calais Campbell could go down as one of the greatest defensive linemen in Miami history.

Your ThoughtsMore Stories By By Jake Trotter

RedstickSooner
9/4/2007, 03:42 PM
Wilson seems pretty willing to call plays based on what's available on the field.

I'm not too terribly worried about losing screen passes. We probably have other plays, too.

Wishboned
9/4/2007, 04:13 PM
I'm thinking we should just have Gute run between his legs.

thatmediadude
9/4/2007, 04:25 PM
I'm thinking we should just have Gute run between his legs.

I love it! I'm not worried about someone the same height as phil..when phil has then by 70lbs still!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure the kid is an amazing talent. Everone at Miami is athletic...We are just gonna have to be sharp!

SoonerStormchaser
9/4/2007, 04:45 PM
Their D vs. OUr O is gonna be the ultimate matchup. Our D vs. their O is a gross mismatch in our favor.

The Maestro
9/4/2007, 04:50 PM
Well, Marshall had about ten more minutes of time of possession than Miami. If we can do that or a little better even the next Lawrence Taylor (rolling my eyes) won't be able to keep up. If Miami cannot move the ball, and I don't expect them to, that defense will get tired with 11 All-Americans on the field.

SoonerBOI
9/4/2007, 07:19 PM
Their D vs. OUr O is gonna be the ultimate matchup. Our D vs. their O is a gross mismatch in our favor.

I'm with you all the way, sir!

Shneeg11
9/4/2007, 07:41 PM
I heard somewhere today, probably the sports animal, that playing a tall opponent for loadholt is actually a good thing. He can use his leverage and weight against a lighter d-end. Although he does not have the speed, i believe phil says he would rather go up against someone his size than someone 6'3 or 6'4

josh09
9/4/2007, 07:45 PM
In this corner..at 6'8" weighing 280 lbs, playing Defensive End...from The University of Miami....Calais Campbell.

And his opponent...at 6'8" weighing a svelt 350 lbs, at Right Tackle...from The University of Oklahoma....Phil Loadholt.

The earth is going to shake people....bring seatbelts to the game ;)

Only 280? Psht.

DrZaius
9/4/2007, 07:53 PM
Phil has the size, but I hope he has the footwork and technique to keep Campbell in front of him. This is going to probably be his biggest test of the year, save some really speedy end down the line.

I had understood from practice reports that for his size his footwork is very good.

CatfishSooner
9/4/2007, 07:59 PM
Loadholt will eat his lunch (literally)

snp
9/4/2007, 08:30 PM
I wanna see Eldridge have some shots on Cambell.

Miami1Fan
9/4/2007, 08:33 PM
This is the match up I'm most looking forward to. Campbell isn't a speed rusher, but more of a relentless rusher with good athleticism and great size.

Also, if anyone is interested in representing OU fans on a Hurricane Fan website please let me know. I'm hoping to have a knowledgeable Sooner fan help provide the OU perspective.

Scott D
9/4/2007, 10:04 PM
settle down snp, they be baned.