PDA

View Full Version : Being an example to your children

Hot Rod
9/4/2007, 10:41 AM
I had an altercation this weekend, that could've been more than it really was, but due to my 4 year old son being by my side, I made it less than it could've been. I wanted to ensure the safety of my son and this other party gave no thought to the image that he portrayed to his son, who was watching as well. Life is too precious to waste on people like this.

Thoughts/comments?

JohnnyMack
9/4/2007, 10:42 AM
Alcohol was involved by one or more parties?

Hot Rod
9/4/2007, 10:43 AM
Alcohol was involved by one or more parties?

Not at all...

JohnnyMack
9/4/2007, 10:51 AM
Road rage?

I need more background.

TexasLidig8r
9/4/2007, 11:00 AM
And remember.. any cro-magnon can beat the other person into submission... but.. to be able to verbally undress the other person by using insults, put downs and retorts, half of which the other person does not understand is a REAL skill.

Hot Rod
9/4/2007, 11:02 AM
Basically, it was just an argument in a public place. He had almost ran into my son while walking. I said "watch it there bud" in a way that I guess he didn't like. This other party made it more by trying to get in my face and making it more than it really was, making it as if it was my fault. The fact was, he was all bent out of shape and looked as if he wanted it to go into something further.

opksooner
9/4/2007, 11:09 AM
I had an altercation this weekend, that could've been more than it really was, but due to my 4 year old son being by my side, I made it less than it could've been. I wanted to ensure the safety of my son and this other party gave no thought to the image that he portrayed to his son, who was watching as well. Life is too precious to waste on people like this.

Thoughts/comments?

You did the right thing. It could not have had a good end. You have to pick and choose carefully which hills you want to go to war for.

soonerbrat
9/4/2007, 11:42 AM
you shoulda beat the crap out of him

JohnnyMack
9/4/2007, 11:50 AM
you shoulda beat the crap out of him

Yup.

Shoulda grabbed him and gone:

:les:DDT!!!

http://uccfs.paran.com/PUD/gr/grkkv2/IMG/1179639752_200705201405424863660503_0.jpg

usmc-sooner
9/4/2007, 12:03 PM

Thoughts/comments?

in other words you got punked while your kid watched. Shame on you

:D

usmc-sooner
9/4/2007, 12:04 PM
And remember.. any cro-magnon can beat the other person into submission... but.. to be able to verbally undress the other person by using insults, put downs and retorts, half of which the other person does not understand is a REAL skill.

well yeah if you're a pu$$y

rufnek05
9/4/2007, 12:07 PM
you should have kicked his *** and said "see son, its bad to be an idiot"

GrapevineSooner
9/4/2007, 12:20 PM
Oh, that was you, Hot Rod?

My bad. ;)

85Sooner
9/4/2007, 03:49 PM
Basically, it was just an argument in a public place. He had almost ran into my son while walking. I said "watch it there bud" in a way that I guess he didn't like. This other party made it more by trying to get in my face and making it more than it really was, making it as if it was my fault. The fact was, he was all bent out of shape and looked as if he wanted it to go into something further.

Heck, I get comments like that from some of my posts. You did good.

Like I tell my wife, if I ever get mad enough to fight than I it will be mad enough to kill and I don't want to bruise my hands when I do it. Be careful what you say to those you don't know they may have missed their lithium or xanax today:)

Chuck Bao
9/4/2007, 05:00 PM
You’ve hit a nerve of mine.

I am always willing to walk around a father or mother holding their child's hand.

But, I’ve seen a parent, holding onto a kid's hand, swing that child into another pedestrian.

I will, but do not like, having to say "excuse me, excuse me, excuse me" to walk around a whole family or group of friends if they completely block a limited walkway.

I also don’t like having to walk around two people who continue to walk straight for me while carrying on a conversation. That’s like their conversation is more important than I am and I need to walk around them or they’re challenging me to walk straight through them.

If the little tykes still run into me, I won't be happy. But, I can't blame the kid. It's the parents. And, I've seriously thought about wearing shin guards to shopping malls because this happens all the time.

It is partly culture and partly upbringing.

No, I don’t have kids and I can only just assume how challenging that must be.

The kids today are rude and need to be called on it. Maybe we’re talking about night and day and very different ages. But the point remains that they should be aware and show common courtesies. I’m guessing that’s more important rather (in a very general sense and certainly not this case) than dad feeling his authority figure is being challenged.

Hong Kong kids are the worst that I’ve ever seen. Not only did they try to repeatedly jump ahead of us in a queue at Hong Kong Disney Resort two weeks ago, but at one point they waved their hands in front of our faces as they passed us just to show that they could. The parents just looked on. I was so tempted to grab them by the scruffs of their neck and throw them back to their parents.

I would be in Hong Kong jail now, but I somehow regret not doing that.

C&CDean
9/4/2007, 05:04 PM
And y'all wonder why I have no interest in visiting Asia.

Hot Rod
9/4/2007, 05:15 PM
When I'm walking with my son (4), who is right beside me and I see someone walking towards me where the situation is that either my son moves or he gets plowed, I'll gladly speak my mind.

I see what you are saying and understand that frustration. However, when someone doesn't have the courtesy to walk around my son or wait patiently to go around us, but looked as if he was going to run into him to where I HAD to move my son, I have a real problem with it.

Chuck Bao
9/4/2007, 05:33 PM
This is an honest question, Hot Rod. If you and your son were walking down a sidewalk, would expect someone passing by to get off on the grass? I would just out of courtsey, but I don't know if that would be normal US etiquette.

What if your son were 6, 8 or 10?

Hot Rod
9/4/2007, 05:46 PM
This is an honest question, Hot Rod. If you and your son were walking down a sidewalk, would expect someone passing by to get off on the grass? I would just out of courtsey, but I don't know if that would be normal US etiquette.

What if your son were 6, 8 or 10?

NO, I would move over as much as I could to allow them to stay on the sidewalk. Heck, I've had to move over to the grass because people wouldn't move, but this incident wasn't about an outdoor area where there are options as to where you can move to. This took place inside a grocery store (an area where you can't always move freely). It's just the way they are made.