PDA

View Full Version : Movie Maker n00b alert...

goingoneight
9/4/2007, 12:33 AM
How do you copy files from a DVD? I have the UNT game on DVD and I want to start my video project and add stuff as it comes weekly.

... yes, I'm that computer-retarded. :( I thought I understood this stuff, but I guess I don't. Could be that I learnt me this stuff in high school and nevar used it until now.

proud gonzo
9/4/2007, 07:46 AM
stick it on the xerox machine and hit copy. make sure you close the lid all the way so you don't waste toner. YWIA

SoonerBorn68
9/4/2007, 09:15 AM
Firstly you have to convert from the .vob (DVD format) to a workable format such as .mpeg, .avi, .mov, etc. I've been looking for free converter/ripper/encoder on the net for a while. I've just downloaded this: http://www.allthesoft.com/multimedia/video/dvd-to-mpeg/ I've got no idea how well it works yet.

I used to just video tape the games & then used Ulead 7.0 to capture & edit. Since I'm on the road I'm stuck with my just my laptop, TiVo, & DVD recorder. I want to make some more videos so I'm kinda in the same boat.

aurorasooner
9/4/2007, 11:21 AM
actually DVDshrink (freeware) has a nice little DVD editor in it where you can edit out clips and keep them in the DVD format. I've used it for years to pull out individual movie clips that I wanted to keep and later combine. If you save to DVD files instead of ISO, then when you are ready to combine them all, you can use some freeware to combine the VOBs themselves, and make your titles and chapter points, or transcode the vobs to another workable container format (with the audio/video codecs you need) to plug into your video editing software, and then make your dvd. If you're on the road, and just want to get some DVD editing done (to cut out all the crap), without a lot of conversion hassle, try the simple editor in DVDshrink and then just save your individual edits to individual DVD folders and label them. Later you can transcode them or combine them. This is an excellent tutorial on how to combine individual vobs to make a dvd, without transcoding to another workable format. http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=60724 BTW, this works great to make your own compilation DVDs of individual songs from DVD concert videos. You just have to be careful which audio format is the default (0) (DD 5.1, DD 2.0, or sometimes DTS and LPCM) because you get some DVDs with 5.1 as the default and some with 2.0 as the default and some with LPCM as the default in the vob), but these can be corrected with PGCedit.