PDA

View Full Version : HEY MONGO!

GottaHavePride
9/3/2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the tickets, dude. Awesome. Nice meeting you. Too bad UNT didn't have a better day.

olevetonahill
9/3/2007, 07:48 PM
Mongo is the AWlsome aint he ?

sanantoniosooner
9/3/2007, 07:51 PM
Dean told me Mongo was over there, but it turned out to be Norm.

I think Dean is going blind.

Mongo
9/3/2007, 07:55 PM
no problem, glad I could help.

sorry I didnt say bye, the wife was at another tailgate and was getting sick. Plus, the game wasnt all that great:O .

And I dont know why people are complaining about the Pride, the mean green band looked like a GAP commercial.

Ready to put on the crimson and cream for Miami

GottaHavePride
9/3/2007, 07:59 PM
Hehehe. UNT's band sufferes from the fact that UNT has one of the best music schools in the western half of the country. No one that's any good at UNT signs up for the marching band.

Petro-Sooner
9/3/2007, 08:02 PM
Why is that?

william_brasky
9/3/2007, 08:07 PM
I have video of Mongo having a discussion with Norman PD about a parking issue Saturday (http://youtube.com/watch?v=8_RKPGS2vwM)

GottaHavePride
9/3/2007, 08:16 PM
Why is that?

Because people that go to UNT for music are serious about music, and nearly all of them are trying to make it in the jazz/studio/commercial world. That kind of career path eats people for lunch, and playing outside screws up your chops something ridiculous. The guys at UNT aren't about to waste time that way; they're guys that are in practice rooms 8 hours or more per day, because if they aren't someone else is and will take gigs from them. I was in Pride for four years and part of my decision to stop was that I couldn't afford the downtime it took to recover after a game.

Seriously - dehydration, overexertion, and sunburned lips make you play like crap. It would take a couple of days totally off the horn for my face to recover to where I could play normally again, and the rest of the week I would spend practicing to catch back up to where I was before the game. Then you hit the next game and you screw your face up again. To a guy at UNT (and the very best ones are 30 year old guys that can already play and just want a degree) that's just not acceptable.

oumartin
9/3/2007, 08:19 PM
You don't go to college to be a dang music major and play all purdy like.

You go there to grow a set and play as loud as you can without being out of tune and be in the Marching band formally knows as The Pride

GottaHavePride
9/3/2007, 08:20 PM
You don't go to college to be a dang music major and play all purdy like.

You go there to grow a set and play as loud as you can without being out of tune and be in the Marching band formally knows as The Pride

Not at UNT's school of music. There you go to college to learn from the best teachers you can find so that someday you can actually make a living playing your horn. A UNT music degree carries a LOT of weight.

oumartin
9/3/2007, 08:22 PM
Well that is all wonderful but I sure wish that marching band down in Norman wasn't trying to sound like an Orchestra

GottaHavePride
9/3/2007, 08:24 PM
Well that is all wonderful but I sure wish that marching band down in Norman wasn't trying to sound like an Orchestra

Now, see, that's a different issue altogether. ;)

olevetonahill
9/3/2007, 08:26 PM
Mongo the Man
:cool:

proud gonzo
9/3/2007, 11:59 PM
Mongo the Man
:cool:indeed

thanks, dude! good meeting ya ;)