PDA

View Full Version : the good and the bad

sanantoniosooner
9/3/2007, 07:13 PM
I had plans to get to the tailgate early and help Dean set up.

On the way my tire starts coming apart at Denton. I put on the donut and it goes flat. So I put the split tire back on and hope it will hold together long enough to get us to a tire shop. Kelley tires......$95 and a 2 hour wait.........Firestone tires......$140 and a 2 hour wait........Affordable tire.......$65 and can get us out in 30 minutes. It's obvious the alignment is out as there was plenty of tread, but the inside of the tires were worn. They only had one tire so I take it and head to Norman.

My wife needs to go by Walmart after we drop the kids with relatives and I'm already irritated that I'm WAY behind. I honestly don't know my way around Norman that well. When I attended OU I commuted from Tecumseh and rode the shuttle from the Lloyd Noble. So I park there and start walking. I knew it was a ways, but I didn't realize the tailgate was on the other side of the stadium. Stupid on my part and a result of being in too much of a hurry to look things up like I should. So the game is getting close enough that I give up on the tailgate early and just go to the stadium.

I get a voice message in the middle of the game and it turns out my dad is at the game. He hasn't been to an OU game since I was born (40 years) and he is annoyed that we were in town and didn't tell him. It was supposed to be a quick in and out and we didn't want to alert everyone we were in town. But someone told him and he happened to be 3 sections away from us and it was cool to hook up and visit.

So we go to find the tailgate in the dark after the game and find it without to much trouble. Got to meet Czar, VK, Dean, Phil, Norm, RacerX, SBSB, Gonzo, GHP, Dole, Yermom, Olevet and I'm sure I've forgotten somebody and will get negged. Czar felt sorry for us and offered a ride back to the LN to get our car and we are extremely grateful.
THANKS CZAR AND VK
So we plan to leave for San Antonio on Sunday morning. I'm feeling around the other front tire and feel wires poking through. :rolleyes: Time for more tires. So I decide to buy a pair at Hibdon's and get an alignment. We pull off the tire I bought in Denton and save it to put on a full size spare rim once we get back home. It is 4 PM before we get the car back and decide against driving that late back home.

Leave Monday morning. About 20 minutes north of Georgetown the rear tire blows at 80 mph. I'm in the left lane and get over to the middle shoulder. Highway patrol passes without even slowing down. We find a hole in the traffic and work our way over to the right shoulder so I can put the spare on. (the shop in Denton aired up our donut and it does fine this time) While I'm changing a different Highway Patrol stops to check on us. He tells us about a truck tire shop not to far away. Tells us the name of the owner and says he'll help us out if we mention his name. So we make it to the truck stop. Of course, there is no way on earth they have a tire, but we just happen to have one in the trunk. They mount it and balance it and charge me $25.:mad: But we are back on the road.

Finally, we are home.

OU won big.

Tire companies won big.

We got to meet a few internet nerds.

I'm tired. But I think Dean talked up some of the other tailgates enough that my wife is considering another trip.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/3/2007, 07:22 PM
Glad to meet you too! Sorry you had difficulty getting here and home though.

Petro-Sooner
9/3/2007, 07:23 PM
Utah St.

Be there!

GottaHavePride
9/3/2007, 07:44 PM
Deer lord, dude. Glad you're ok after all that.

olevetonahill
9/3/2007, 07:46 PM
Shoulda called Boarder on the tire thingy
It was great Meetin all that I havent met befor

Czar Soonerov
9/3/2007, 07:53 PM
Glad u made it home safe. You might consider flying next time. ;)

soonerboomer93
9/3/2007, 08:26 PM
atleast you made it home safe :)

MamaMia
9/3/2007, 09:35 PM
Even with the tire mishap, it sounds like you had a nice time. :)

sanantoniosooner
9/3/2007, 09:38 PM
A lot of laughing and a lot of weeping.

Not much in between

Petro-Sooner
9/3/2007, 09:39 PM
Glad your alright.

rufnek05
9/3/2007, 10:35 PM
i bet you can change a tire as fast as them nascar pit crew dudes.

sanantoniosooner
9/3/2007, 10:41 PM
pfffffffffft

It wasn't that long ago that I bought this car(used).

I had verified that it had a jack and all the necessary accessories to change a tire. What I had NOT done was remove the jack and check it out. It had never been out of the housing that held it, '94 model car, and had something like a tarpaper on the foot. It was like it was glued in place. It took me about 15 minutes to loosen and manipulate the jack so that I could even use it on the car.

:mad:

SoonerStormchaser
9/3/2007, 10:49 PM
SAS, you wanna go in with me on the sponsoring the tailgate for the BIG XII Title Game?

sanantoniosooner
9/3/2007, 10:56 PM
SAS, you wanna go in with me on the sponsoring the tailgate for the BIG XII Title Game?
I'll definitely be of assistance. As far as 'sponsoring' goes, we'll take a wait and see approach.

I've officially shifted from summer working man to fall full time student. This trip ran about $300 over budget with all the crappola.

You can PM me with thoughts and I'll see how I can contribute.

Sooner24
9/3/2007, 11:39 PM
Shoulda called Boarder on the tire thingy
It was great Meetin all that I havent met befor

That's right BWM Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeechhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the truck stops here. :D

He cooks a mean turkey leg too.

C&CDean
9/4/2007, 09:37 AM
"BWM" Heh. Boarder is so gonna kick your ***.

OU4LIFE
9/4/2007, 10:10 AM
that stands for B E D L A M WM, btw, he's been wanting to change it for evar.

bonkuba
9/4/2007, 10:46 AM
If you have troubles (hope ya don't) next time.....give me a call. I own two tire dealerships in Ardmore...one of which has a mobile service truck. Always glad to help a fellow Sooner!!! :D

Sooner24
9/4/2007, 10:07 PM
"BWM" Heh. Boarder is so gonna kick your ***.

As well he should.

I meant "LWM" sorry. :O

Sooner24
9/4/2007, 10:09 PM
If you have troubles (hope ya don't) next time.....give me a call. I own two tire dealerships in Ardmore...one of which has a mobile service truck. Always glad to help a fellow Sooner!!! :D

Hows he gonna call you if you don't give him your number? ;)

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2007, 10:18 PM
Hows he gonna call you if you don't give him your number? ;)
I'm supposed to send him a private message while on the side of the road.

olevetonahill
9/4/2007, 10:34 PM
Sheesh every one wants things handed to em
Ya dumases look up bonkbuba in the yeller pages !