PDA

View Full Version : Week one nearly in the books...

goingoneight
9/3/2007, 04:27 PM
... with a few unlikely candidates finishing up tonight. Who do you think has the best shot at the National Championship this year?

1. We can safely assume it's not Michigan. :P

2. OUr 79-10 victory was nice to see us get out there and play UNT just like the mid-major they are... but I still think we have a ways to go. OL needs to showcase their strength and talent a lot better this week. Having everyone healthy going into the UM game is nice.

3. Texas... could be this year's OU 2005. A team that finishes in between 9-3 to 11-1. I look at the Arkansas State game just as I look at OUr UAB game in 2006, they'll put the pieces together eventually... but it may end up being too late by the time they've dropped a few losses to talk MNC.

4. Virginia Tech can't hold onto the "poor me" excuse when it comes to football. Terrible tragedy and we all feel sorry and pray for recovery for them... but the team that was supposed to be so emotionally charged and supposed to be a legit top 10 team in 2007 escaped in ugly fashion.

5. Miami is putting things together, still has good speed and strength on defense, but 31-3 is not exactly a rout of an opener, either. Especially considering the starting quarterback for Marshall was good enough to throw 4 interceptions. However, it's not out of the realm of sanity to rank Miami coming into Norman, given how badly some of the supposed "elites" played. Dump a few teams out of the top 25 for poor performance, or just shake things up. 21-13 over Arkansas State isn't what I call more impressive than 31-3 over Marshall.

6. Boise State is a mystery. Their win over something called "Weber State" was big, but Washington and Hawaii await them... and they still play in the WAC... which gets NO respect from voters for SOS.

7. USC and LSU are still probably my #1 and #2 because they have great defenses and just enough offense to get the job done. However, the bullshat about "greatest Pete Carroll team yet" needs to stop right now. Like... come to a screeching halt... NOW. The 2004 USC team owns the 2007 USC team in every category, IMHO. Lester will likely lose one game just because of the SEC factor, and the Lester factor leaves them open for another, punting them out of the title race and leaving the ol' Ripper ****ing and moaning about how tough his run was versus whomever makes the MNC game.

8. Louisville? Is it possible? About as possible as Ohio State, IMHO. Don't let the TV coverage and the sell-out crowds fool you, the 'Ville is no different than any BIG 12 power right now. Kragthorpe is a good fit, though.

Major Conference Champions (based on week one):
PAC 10 = USC, Cal will choke it out eventually.
BIG 12 = OU; UNT isn't a real challenge, but OU finally stepped up and delivered the message that they're ready for the new season by taking care f business. This team struggled against UAB and won it last year... I expect they'll do it this year.
SEC = Lester wins it and as stated above, complains that his two "oopsies" are as good as a win, and he belongs in the title game.
BIG 11 = Ohio State (Tressell gets the best of Carr again after the Wolverines put together a better team than most are predicting after last week's crapyp opener)
ACC = ... waiting to see how the Bowden Bowl ends tonight.
Big East = going out on aa limb and calling it the 'Ville's to lose.

Collier11
9/3/2007, 04:49 PM
Its really tough to make these kind of assumptions after week one considering some teams have to shake off the rust, some just dont click early but will still be great, and so on but here is my post wk 1 thoughts

Three with best shot!

West Virginia-obvious weak schedule and tons of talent
Wisconsin-Obviously Michigan is down, ohio state doesnt have enough on O to compete IMO, so they could run the table
USC-I really dont think they are as invincible as everyone thought, but they are still really good if they get their Offense rolling

best of the rest
LSU-not sold on Flynn, but their D is great
Louisville-If they can beat WV they might go undefeated
VaTech-With that D, their offense will have time to get going IF they can get by LSU somehow
Ou-I would feel alot more confident putting us in top 3 if we beat Miami by 7-10 pts
Cal-with that offense, they have a shot to beat anyone

Dark Horses who could have huge years
Georgia-I am giving ok st a little more credit than most as being a good team

Penn St-If their Offense keeps playing well, they could compete for it all
Kansas-Yea I said it, not competing for natl title obviously but has a chance at a 8-9 win season
Washington-Really Good young qb
Clemson-If they win tonight they could have great year
Boston College-Very Dark horse natl title contender IMO

Way overrated
Florida-Offense cant carry D in the SEC
Texas-The close game doesnt affect my opinion as much as Mccoy throwing 2 picks and having 3 others dropped, I dont know that he has come back from those big hits against A&M
Ohio state-who is left on offense?
Michigan- :)

josh09
9/3/2007, 04:57 PM
... with a few unlikely candidates finishing up tonight. Who do you think has the best shot at the National Championship this year?

1. We can safely assume it's not Michigan. :P

2. OUr 79-10 victory was nice to see us get out there and play UNT just like the mid-major they are... but I still think we have a ways to go. OL needs to showcase their strength and talent a lot better this week. Having everyoen helthy going into the UM game is nice.

3. Texas... could be this year's OU 2005. A team that finishes in between 9-3 to 11-1. I look at the Arkansas State game just as I look at OUr UAB game in 2006, they'll put the pieces together eventually... but it may end up being too late by the time they've dropped a few losses to talk MNC.

4. Virginia Tech can't hold onto the "poor me" excuse when it comes to football. Terrible tragedy and we all feel sorry and pray for recovery for them... but the team that was supposed to be so emotionally charged and supposed to be a legit top 10 team in 2007 escaped in ugly fashion.

5. Miami is putting things together, still has good speed and strength on defense, but 31-3 is not exactly a rout of an opener, either. Especially considering the starting quarterback for Marshall was good enough to throw 4 interceptions. However, it's not out of the realm of sanity to rank Miami coming into Norman, given how badly some of the supposed "elites" played. Dump a few teams out of the top 25 for poor performance, or just shake things up. 21-13 over Arkansas State isn't what I call more impressive than 31-3 over Marshall.

6. Boise State is a mystery. Their win over something called "Weber State" was big, but Washington and Hawaii await them... and they still play in the WAC... which gets NO respect from voters for SOS.

7. USC and LSU are still probably my #1 and #2 because they have great defenses and just enough offense to get the job done. However, the bullshat about "greatest Pete Carroll team yet" needs to stop right now. Like... come to a screeching halt... NOW. The 2004 USC team owns the 2007 USC team in every category, IMHO. Lester will likely lose one game just because of the SEC factor, and the Lester factor leaves them open for another, punting them out of the title race and leaving the ol' Ripper ****ing and moaning about how tough his run was versus whomever makes the MNC game.

8. Louisville? Is it possible? About as possible as Ohio State, IMHO. Don't let the TV coverage and the sell-out crowds fool you, the 'Ville is no different than any BIG 12 power right now. Kragthorpe is a good fit, though.

Major Conference Champions (based on week one):
PAC 10 = USC, Cal will choke it out eventually.
BIG 12 = OU; UNT isn't a real challenge, but OU finally stepped up and delivered the message that they're ready for the new season by taking care f business. This team struggled against UAB and won it last year... I expect they'll do it this year.
SEC = Lester wins it and as stated above, complains that his two "oopsies" are as good as a win, and he belongs in the title game.
BIG 11 = Ohio State (Tressell gets the best of Carr again after the Wolverines put together a better team than most are predicting after last week's crapyp opener)
ACC = ... waiting to see how the Bowden Bowl ends tonight.
Big East = going out on aa limb and calling it the 'Ville's to lose.

The point about Texass being the same as us in '05, good way to put it.

yermom
9/3/2007, 05:02 PM
i'd put Marshall a tad higher than Arkansas State. i haven't paid much attention to them this year, but generally they are a decent team, they beat K-State the year they clobbered us

soonerhubs
9/3/2007, 05:10 PM
Their win over something called "Weber State" was big

:mad:

;) My alma mater that's all.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/3/2007, 05:19 PM
:mad:

;) My alma mater that's all.Sorry for Weber State- one of those "what state is Weber, daddy"? universities.