PDA

View Full Version : How hard would it be for part of a state to secede?

Jerk
9/3/2007, 04:09 PM
and create their own state, like West Virginie did back before the Civil War? There was talk amongst SW Kansas, the Oklahoma pandhandle, and the Texas panhandle of leaving their states and forming one together long ago. There was also a movement in Tulsa back in the mid-nineties to seperate and form their own state and take "Green Country" with them. When OU football got good again, I never heard any more about people wanting to leave the state. But, if they did, could they?

Frozen Sooner
9/3/2007, 04:16 PM
It'd be pretty tough. The North Slopers talk about it every so often. I guess it'd have to go to a county-by-county referendum, then they'd have to draft a state constitution, then apply for admission into the United States.

Jerk
9/3/2007, 04:24 PM
It'd be pretty tough. The North Slopers talk about it every so often. I guess it'd have to go to a county-by-county referendum, then they'd have to draft a state constitution, then apply for admission into the United States.

So, legally, it could be done. Just not easily.

Thanks

Frozen Sooner
9/3/2007, 04:27 PM
I'm no legal scholar, but yeah, I'd have to think that it could be done legally.

royalfan5
9/3/2007, 04:28 PM
Periodically western Nebraska wants to leave and form Wyobraska. It never gets very far because Wyoming doesn't want to subsidize them either. The thumb of Michigan wanted to join with part of Wisconsin to become the state of Superior at one point as well.

yermom
9/3/2007, 04:31 PM

what happens if the US won't let them in? :confused:

Frozen Sooner
9/3/2007, 04:33 PM
Then they apply for territorial status or they become their own country.

Heh. That'd be awesome if the Slopers did that and the South Alaskans turned around and conquered them.

yermom
9/3/2007, 04:35 PM
seems that wouldn't go over very well...

Okla-homey
9/3/2007, 04:41 PM
Article IV of the United States Constitution provides for the creation of new states of the Union, requiring that any such creation be approved by the legislature of the affected state(s), as well as the United States Congress.

Since the formation of the current Constitution, only two states have technically seceded from another existing state: Maine and West Virginia. In the latter case, since the original state (Virginia) had itself seceded from the United States, it was no longer relevant to the Article IV requirements (and, in fact, West Virginia originally formed itself as the legitimate government of Virginia within the Union, then essentially gave itself permission to leave Virginia. West Virginia was then admitted by act of the greatest president since Washington, President Lincoln(peace be upon him), not by consent of the federal Congress, as required by Article IV).

Maine busted loose from New Hamphsire if memory serves. It and Florida are the only two states on the eastern seabord NOT one of the original thirteen states.

Based on my knowledge of US history, here's what it would come down to in the final analysis. First, the losing state legislatures would have to assent to it. Then, what would be the party make-up of the new state's congressional delegation and which party controls Congress?

Put another way, if a party had A 2/3rds majority in Congress AND the new state's two senators and its share of House members are of that party, it could work.

If not, don't hold your breath.

royalfan5
9/3/2007, 04:43 PM
Maine was part of Massachusetts originally

Okla-homey
9/3/2007, 04:46 PM
Maine was part of Massachusetts originally

You are correct. They had one of those Michigan-like things going with two hunks of the same state separated by another state. Kinda makes you wonder why the Yoopies haven't pushed for separate statehood from the "mitten" part of Michigan.

http://aycu12.webshots.com/image/27811/2004076590688850469_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004076590688850469)

royalfan5
9/3/2007, 04:49 PM
You are correct. They had one of those Michigan-like things going with two hunks of the same state separated by another state. Kinda makes you wonder why the Yoopies haven't pushed for separate statehood from the "mitten" part of Michigan.

http://aycu12.webshots.com/image/27811/2004076590688850469_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004076590688850469)
They have. I mentioned in my first post. It was to be called Superior.

SoonerStormchaser
9/3/2007, 05:15 PM
We also had the state of Franklin...the hillbilly knock off in Appalachia that ran out of money (go figure) and rejoined Tennessee.

Rogue
9/3/2007, 05:50 PM
The State of Franklin would have been teh win! Greeneville is capitol material.

OUinFLA
9/3/2007, 06:11 PM
could California seced and join Mexico?
It might help with our immigragtion policies, or lack thereof.
It would also cause a re-alignment of the Pac-10

Scott D
9/3/2007, 06:16 PM

Yoopers'd **** it up and become part of Ontario.

Soonrboy
9/3/2007, 07:04 PM
The Cherokees wanted the Cherokee Nation admitted to the union as their own state, called Sequoyah. They petitioned the government about it.