PDA

View Full Version : (rant)CHECKING ACCOUNT IS SINGULAR!

Frozen Sooner
9/3/2007, 03:27 PM
You do not have a "checkings" account, dummy, you have a checking account.

For that matter, you do not apply for "credick" either.

Grrr.

GrapevineSooner
9/3/2007, 03:36 PM
Heh.

Reminds of me the times my users refer to their computer case as a hard drive or a CPU. Sometimes I resist the temptation to correct them.

Other times, I don't and follow it up with a, 'you had me worried, there.' ;)

OUDoc
9/3/2007, 03:41 PM
Just put the money in my saving account and zip it!

1stTimeCaller
9/3/2007, 04:18 PM
I think you meant Cingular not singular. They just merged with AT&T so you probably shouldn't use cingular either.

slickdawg
9/3/2007, 05:02 PM
Mississippi State basketball coach Rick Stansbury can not say "freshman"
- he says freshmens every time.

For example - "Jamont is a great freshmens"

ugh.

Turd_Ferguson
9/3/2007, 05:15 PM
That diesel engine is not a "Cummings", it's a Cummin's

Reinforced concrete does not have "Rebarb" in it, it's Rebar.

OUinFLA
9/3/2007, 06:17 PM
irregardless, redundancy and mispronunciations prevail,
regardless of how many times you tell them (ir) is not necessary.
but, I'll leave that crap to OCUDad, cause he loves that stuff.

:P

oilmud
9/3/2007, 06:21 PM
walmart is not walmarts

OUinFLA
9/3/2007, 06:24 PM
walmart is not walmarts

it is in my town cause we have three walmarts.

er.......walmart stores.

or is that walmarts store?

Animal Mother
9/3/2007, 07:17 PM
Walmarts has all the money in my checkings account and saving account because my other half just came home from there with 20 sacks of junk.

olevetonahill
9/3/2007, 07:23 PM
Just puts the crdijits In my accounts Sos I dont hafta pays them fees
Ktx

skycat
9/4/2007, 02:44 PM
Quiet down and sort my giant bowl of change.

TIA

King Crimson
9/4/2007, 02:47 PM
a true, automatic classic of undergraduate writing is the phrase "In Renaissance times"....it's always plural and with "times" for some reason. no one writes "enlightenment times" or "post-war times"......"Renaissance times", ya know?

silverwheels
9/4/2007, 02:51 PM
OU was dominant against North Texas, but Texas did not dominate Arkansas State.

It always bugs me when people mix up the two.

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2007, 02:52 PM
Quiet down and sort my giant bowl of change.

TIA

I'LL SEE YOU IN HELL FIRST! ;)

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2007, 02:53 PM
a true, automatic classic of undergraduate writing is the phrase "In Renaissance times"....it's always plural and with "times" for some reason. no one writes "enlightenment times" or "post-war times"......"Renaissance times", ya know?

Weird. That seems like an awkward construction. Why not just write "During the Renaissance"?

King Crimson
9/4/2007, 02:56 PM
OU was dominant against North Texas, but Texas did not dominate Arkansas State.

It always bugs me when people mix up the two.

that's a bad one. but, it's a slippery slope. "dillusional", for example.

there are a lot of words that people (not just on the net) are starting to spell phonetically. this is a sign that people are regressing from standards of literacy based in the written/visual word--whether that's something that's of big concern, i don't know. we live in a time where due to technology the way we use language--both written and visual and kinetic--is much different than it was in a predominantly print era.

uppitomy-epitome is one i saw recently.

silverwheels
9/4/2007, 03:04 PM
that's a bad one. but, it's a slippery slope. "dillusional", for example.

there are a lot of words that people (not just on the net) are starting to spell phonetically. this is a sign that people are regressing from standards of literacy based in the written/visual word--whether that's something that's of big concern, i don't know. we live in a time where due to technology the way we use language--both written and visual and kinetic--is much different than it was in a predominantly print era.

uppitomy-epitome is one i saw recently.

That's a good point. People are just spelling words based on how they sound and not even bothering to check whether it's right or not. Most people don't care that they can't spell anymore, because in their jobs if they have to spell difficult words, there's a spell checker on their word processor. It fixes it for them once and they can just move on without having to think about it.

I had a friend ask me over AIM how to spell "physique" a long time ago, and his first attempt was "fuzeek". I was completely perplexed.

King Crimson
9/4/2007, 03:05 PM
Weird. That seems like an awkward construction. Why not just write "During the Renaissance"?

that's kind of the thing. it's very strange. without going into great detail i taught an advertising and society class recently and we read a book that made an argument that advertising and consumption are something like a secular religion in culture today.....and it referenced the catholic church and iconography in the renaissance as a kind of analogy....and it was always "In Renaissance times...."

every paper, every exam essay.

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2007, 04:45 PM
Crazy. That's an interesting thesis, though. What's the name of the book?

King Crimson
9/4/2007, 05:10 PM
Twitchell, J. AdCult USA.

it's pretty readable. it's a little dated (what isn't these days?)--1996. students seem to like it. most stuff written about advertising and the consumer society is either boosterism for the industry or the "paranoia genre" of somewhat Thorstein Veblen/Marxist angles on consumption....and this is a little different. and regardless, he's a pretty charismatic and clever writer...which is worth a lot in my book.

http://www.amazon.com/Adcult-USA-James-B-Twitchell/dp/0231103255