PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 in a slump

oupride
9/3/2007, 07:54 AM
I use to be continually amazed why the Big 12 got no respect from outsiders until I read this on sportline. Now I understand. Too bad KState did not pull off the upset.

The Big 12 is now 0 for its last 17 against ranked teams in non-conference games. Saturday's victims: Baylor (loss to TCU), Oklahoma State (Georgia) and Kansas State (Auburn). While we argue about the relative strengths of the Pac-10, Big Ten, SEC, etc., consider that a Big 12 team hasn't beaten a ranked non-conference opponent since the 2005 season.

Here's the link
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10329725

oupride
9/3/2007, 08:02 AM
I just perused the other Big 12 schedules and looks like there are only 2 opps to break the slump:
Nebraska/USC
Texas/TCU
Is TCU ranked?

oupride
9/3/2007, 08:12 AM
Although the writer's focus was regular season games, I found these results from the 2006 Bowl games:

MasterCard Alamo
Nebraska 32, Michigan 28

The Rose Bowl
Texas 41, USC 38

Was Michigan ranked? I would think so.

arcman46
9/3/2007, 09:06 AM
I mentioned the fact that the Big 12 got spanked by the SEC with the losses to Georgia and Auburn, and got laughed at because OSU and K-State are "perienial cellar dwellers. OSU was favored by some, and both OSU and K-State are supposed to be better this year. I don't like OSU any more than anyone else, but I'm also sick of hearing how the SEC is the greatest conference to play the game. It also hurts our chances to get in the CG when everyone thinks the Big 12 is a patsy. I would have liked to see us win at least one of those games. Texas on the other hand. . . .Hook 'em

MextheBulldog
9/3/2007, 09:16 AM
Baylor, OSU and KSU were unranked middle of the pack teams playing ranked teams. On the road. They were supposed to lose. It would have been an upset for them to win. Nothing gives me tired-head faster than conference v. conference analysis. It's such a crap shoot. The official response to the link follows:

For such a "bad" conference, the Big-12 actually looks much better than Dodd makes out. Since 1990, teams that average 6 wins or more (Texas, A&M, Texas Tech, K-State, Nebraska, OU, Colorado) are 22-18 against similar schools in the SEC, 17-15 against the Big-10, and 8-8 against the Pac-10. Additionally, over the same period, the Big 12 has won 6 national championships (and played in 3 more championship games). Meanwhile, the mighty SEC has 5, Pac-10 has 3, and Big-10 has 2. As a Big-12 fan, I hope we just keep on sucking our way to more national championships.

Rogue
9/3/2007, 09:24 AM
Nicely done, Mex.

Scott D
9/3/2007, 09:33 AM
*sigh* why do you people care what bikerfox's retarded twin says?

freshchris05
9/3/2007, 09:35 AM
man k state was getting the shaft, there were some questionable at least calls made... and waiting till after the play to throw flags for offsides and stuff like that... i was hoping they would win, cuz im pro big 12 whenever we arent playing them cuz why shouldnt i be???

fwsooner22
9/3/2007, 10:27 AM
Stop Being a Fan of a Conference.........I did not choose to go to OU because it was in the Big 8 (later the Big XII), I simply chose to go to OU.

This conference crap is a space and time eater for newspapers and ESPN. Who in the heck cares. Do you have a closet full of shirts that have BIG XII on them?

It's about us not us and them!!!!!.

LRoss
9/3/2007, 10:42 AM
Not "since the 2005 season!" SOUNDS like it's been forever . . . but it's only one year! (and a week)

Miko
9/3/2007, 10:58 AM

I generally look at others' games from a standpoint of how it affects OU.

A poke win would help our sos. A purple-people-eater win would just make us look better by making the XII (north) not looks so pathetic.

I did not weep at either loss, but would have preferred to see the upsets.

MiccoMacey
9/3/2007, 11:05 AM
And don't get me started about the bowl matchups. Our number four or five team plays a conference champ or runnerup. Yeah, that's a totally fair matchup (see Rutgers and KSU last year).

I'd love to know what our teams were ranked that played the other ranked teams from other conferences. As Mex said, if a Baylor plays an Auburn, it's not a good indicator of how bad our conference is. A Baylor SHOULD lose to an Auburn.

MiccoMacey
9/3/2007, 11:06 AM
Plus, OU was ranked #5 pre-season prior to the TCU game in 2005. I think this shows more how much the pre-season rankings are flawed than any conference weaknesses.

MiccoMacey
9/3/2007, 11:07 AM
Also, OUPride posted three in a row, so I want to at least match him. ;)

Miko
9/3/2007, 11:08 AM
A Baylor SHOULD lose to an Auburn.

Agreed. And ditto for kstate.

Frankly I was very surprised they made such a game of it.

sooners00
9/3/2007, 11:21 AM
Just face it the big 12 sucks currently and has for the past 4 years.

Its a 2 team race and the rest are always going to be pretenders. Except for Nebraska.

sooners00
9/3/2007, 11:21 AM
Just face it the big 12 sucks currently and has for the past 4 years.

Its a 2 team race and the rest are always going to be pretenders. Except for Nebraska.

fwsooner22
9/3/2007, 01:31 PM
I guess the Horns beating No. 1 USC doesn't count because it was not the regular season. I will trade 17 straight loses for an NC anyday.........what a joke.....

sooners00
9/3/2007, 01:48 PM
I guess the Horns beating No. 1 USC doesn't count because it was not the regular season. I will trade 17 straight loses for an NC anyday.........what a joke.....

Well everyone knows the Horns and Sooners are good.

Also Texas really saved the big 12 conference a lot of face because OU and Nebraska really emberassed the big 12 conference in previous years in that game.

Texas Golfer
9/3/2007, 02:38 PM
I just perused the other Big 12 schedules and looks like there are only 2 opps to break the slump:
Nebraska/USC
Texas/TCU
Is TCU ranked?

Yes. TCU was ranked #22 going into Saturday's win over Baylor, 27-0.

Texas Golfer
9/3/2007, 02:47 PM
Stop Being a Fan of a Conference.........I did not choose to go to OU because it was in the Big 8 (later the Big XII), I simply chose to go to OU.

This conference crap is a space and time eater for newspapers and ESPN. Who in the heck cares. Do you have a closet full of shirts that have BIG XII on them?

I disagree. Being an OU alum and fan, I root for the success of the other conference programs. OU will never get any respect if it's OU and the little 11. Rankings are based on strength of schedule and playing in a weak conference would do us no good.

Texas Golfer
9/3/2007, 02:49 PM
And don't get me started about the bowl matchups. Our number four or five team plays a conference champ or runnerup. Yeah, that's a totally fair matchup (see Rutgers and KSU last year).

I'd love to know what our teams were ranked that played the other ranked teams from other conferences. As Mex said, if a Baylor plays an Auburn, it's not a good indicator of how bad our conference is. A Baylor SHOULD lose to an Auburn.

Although I'd expect Baylor to lose, it wouldn't stop me from rooting for them.

RedstickSooner
9/3/2007, 03:15 PM
Although the writer's focus was regular season games, I found these results from the 2006 Bowl games:

MasterCard Alamo
Nebraska 32, Michigan 28

The Rose Bowl
Texas 41, USC 38

Was Michigan ranked? I would think so.

Those are the 2005 season, though.

goingoneight
9/3/2007, 03:17 PM
Why do people think Auburn didn't make the MNC in 2004? Because people didn't believe in their strength of schedule. If the BIG 12 continues to decline, we could end up watching someone like Aubbie or LSU get spanked by USC while we're tearing a 10-2 conference champ a new one in the Fiesta... I don't like certain teams, but there's no pride at all in playing a "down" conference. Look back to 2000, what made that season so great wasn't the win/loss record... it was the unbelievable strength of schedule. Remember "Red October?"

I'm not worried about Texas getting their team back in shape, because they've had some of the finest recruiting classes in the nation for 10 years running and they've yet to have what I call a bad season. Texas A&M is a constant embarassment and Franchione will get destroyed by Miami to make matters worse, OSU is the most overrated team as far as conference standings go, Texas Tech can't play a down of defense and the North fires good coaches for bad ones.

The BIG 12 has potential to be great, but it IS on a downward spiral outside of OU and UT as of now.

oupride
9/4/2007, 11:05 AM
Yes. TCU was ranked #22 going into Saturday's win over Baylor, 27-0.

Thanks TG!

FaninAma
9/4/2007, 11:47 AM
Was Oregon ranked last year when they stole the game form OU?

I'd like to see the overall record of all the conferences when they go up against Top 20 teams. I guarantee you that every conference in the nation has a losing record against Top 20 competition outside of their conference once all of the mediocre, bottom feeders are factored in. And I like how the twat used the last 2 years when most the Big 12 had to travel to the home field of the opposition....OU at Oregon, KSU at Auburn, OSU at Georgia, Nebraska at USC, Colorado at Georgia....just to name a few.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/4/2007, 11:55 AM
Was Oregon ranked last year when they stole the game form OU?

I'd like to see the overall record of all the conferences when they go up against Top 20 teams. I guarantee you that every conference in the nation has a losing record against Top 20 competition outside of their conference once all of the mediocre, bottom feeders are factored in. And I like how the twat used the last 2 years when most the Big 12 had to travel to the home field of the opposition....OU at Oregon, KSU at Auburn, OSU at Georgia, Nebraska at USC, Colorado at Georgia....just to name a few.

Ding!