PDA

View Full Version : replacing windows

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2007, 08:16 PM
any of you had to go thru this? best place? how expensive is it? i've got a couple of windows with bad seals that need to be replaced

royalfan5
9/2/2007, 08:21 PM
One of my old roommates was a window salesman. Most of his sales on windows were between 5 and 15K. These were also high end windows geared for Upper Midwest Weather.

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2007, 08:22 PM
well thats helpful ;)

Newbomb Turk
9/2/2007, 08:23 PM
I just replaced every window in my house. Well, I didn't do it, Window World did.

You will see ads for X dollars per window - which is true. However, add in Argon filled, lifetime replacement, grids, color, blah blah blah.

I paid about $275 per window. We are happy with them.

Newbomb Turk
9/2/2007, 08:25 PM
oh, and we had Champion Windows come out and give us a quote. Talk about bending you over. don't bother.

olevetonahill
9/2/2007, 08:25 PM
I to sold and installed replacement windows Its a rip off .
I replaced 3 BIG windows in my shack last year . Cost less than 500 With me doing the job .

RacerX
9/2/2007, 08:31 PM
oh, and we had Champion Windows come out and give us a quote. Talk about bending you over. don't bother.
I second that statement. Complete waste of time unless you're Diamond JK.

We used Thermal Windows, they do metal frames. The vinyl companies won't do 93" tall windows. We have 7 of those.

Try Linux.

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2007, 08:32 PM
no diamonds here, thanks for the tips/info

Viking Kitten
9/2/2007, 09:35 PM
I'd stick with XP, I've heard Vista has a lot of bugs.

oumartin
9/2/2007, 09:42 PM
just cover your windows in that plastic sheeting. not only will it help. It looks good

TopDaugIn2000
9/2/2007, 10:09 PM
Funny that you ask, because I just did it this weekend, my step-dad and I installed them. His brother is a contractor for windows and measured/ordered them, but his wife is terminally ill right now and he couldn't get to Norman to install them. So we did it ourselves. All 16. and DAYUM they look good.

They are Simonton windows, made in McAlester.

Double hung, Low-e coating, argon gas filled, vinyl replacement windows. Even get an energy-star tax break on em. But I can't tell you how much I paid for them.......it's a family secret. (I got 16 windows and all new soffits for less than achmed gave for 6 champion windows on his house last year.) I will say that I am the window caulking queen though. and I'm tired. VERY tired.

SoonerTitan
9/2/2007, 10:59 PM
I just replaced every window in my house. Well, I didn't do it, Window World did.

You will see ads for X dollars per window - which is true. However, add in Argon filled, lifetime replacement, grids, color, blah blah blah.

I paid about $275 per window. We are happy with them.We just had ours done this summer by Window World too and we are extremely happy with em. We had one develop a huge crack I called em up and it did take about a month to get it replaced but they came out changed it for a new one no questions asked free of charge. Also when we signed up and got on the list they told us it would be about 7 weeks. It took almost 10 weeks to get em to come out but that was during all that rain. I would recommend them to anyone they are great windows.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/3/2007, 12:21 AM
My mom bought hers through Champion. It's amazing the difference they make. Previously, the old windows were leaking air so frost was forming in the winter. You can tell her house is much better insulated now.

OUHOMER
9/3/2007, 08:07 AM
We had every window company in the OKC metro come out and give us a quote.Window World beat every one hands down. We havent done anything yet . I was thinking about ordering my own and doing it my self. But dont think i can do it as cheap as window world. Plus there warranty seems to be great.

LilSooner
9/3/2007, 08:13 AM
We are having Sears come out next week. I'm kindof nervous about what the quotes going to be we have 13 to replace cause the ones we have now suck they are single pane plate glass. I'm pretty sure they are original to the house.

Good thread JK.

jk the sooner fan
9/3/2007, 09:00 AM
a lady that works for me, her husband works for sears doing estimates and sales for kitchen cabinets and siding

i dont know about windows, but they were REAL pricey

i dont need to replace all the windows in the house, but i'd sort of like them to all match...guess we'll get as many estimates as we can and go from there

1stTimeCaller
9/3/2007, 09:16 AM
Man, I need new siding and new windows. I guess I shouldn't have bought that boat. :(

OUHOMER
9/3/2007, 10:52 AM
We are having Sears come out next week. I'm kindof nervous about what the quotes going to be we have 13 to replace cause the ones we have now suck they are single pane plate glass. I'm pretty sure they are original to the house.

Good thread JK.

We had Sears quote us on our siding. they were twice the price. We also had Sears quote on the windows. they were also twice as high.

My understanding is Sears has nothing but contractors, They quote a price for the contractors and than marks it it way up.

For windows check out Window World. Again, we had them all out and WW was the best price and warranty.

Also, no high pressure sales from them, heres our price call us when your ready.

SoonerJack
9/3/2007, 11:01 AM
Hmm, I wonder if Window World is in the Kansas City market? We have several around the house that need to be redone, and a front door that needs to be replaced because of a single faulty half-moon window.

OUHOMER
9/3/2007, 11:07 AM
http://www.windowworldinc.com/

LilSooner
9/4/2007, 10:41 AM
Just a little update on Window World I called them this morning and they came right out. They quoted us for 13 windows, energy efficient low E with argon gas, full warranty the hole nine yards.

Anyway 13 window under 4500 so thanks for recommending Window World

jk the sooner fan
9/4/2007, 10:59 AM
were those double sash windows?

hopefully i'll get a call back from window world today for an estimate

LilSooner
9/4/2007, 11:52 AM
I think so, but not for sure rhino will have to clarify after he reads the quote.

colleyvillesooner
9/4/2007, 11:56 AM
I'd stick with XP, I've heard Vista has a lot of bugs.

Can't let this go unnoticed! :D

jk the sooner fan
9/4/2007, 11:56 AM
Can't let this go unnoticed! :D

Racer ALMOST got me on the linux.......almost

LilSooner
9/4/2007, 11:59 AM
Can I just tell you how excited I am about getting new windows? Our windows are so ghetto they are cracked, missing locks, during the winter in the spare bedroom and office get frost on them and they rattle like a mofo.

I can't wait to see what our gas bill is going to be this winter.

Turd_Ferguson
9/4/2007, 12:01 PM
Just an FYI, the Argon filled windows typically leak out within 5 years or so. I would be more concerned about the Low E coatings in this climate. Some manufacturers offer a Low EII that coats both inner and outer panes.

sooner_born_1960
9/4/2007, 12:03 PM
Racer isn't that witty. He just confused those Rolox windows that Klinger advertises with the operating system.
:)

OUHOMER
9/4/2007, 09:04 PM
you will be amazed at how quite things are. A friend of mine had his done and he loved the fact he did not here cars driving down the road or the neighbor coming home late at night

jk the sooner fan
9/10/2007, 07:31 PM
so the Pella rep was here tonite

thats a spendy window.......

olevetonahill
9/10/2007, 07:32 PM
so the Pella rep was here tonite

thats a spendy window.......
Bro Buy em yourself And put em in Just sayin
It aint that hard

jk the sooner fan
9/10/2007, 07:33 PM
you clearly dont know who you're talking too

olevetonahill
9/10/2007, 07:36 PM
you clearly dont know who you're talking too
Cool; then Getme your Best price then let me know .
I guarydamtee I can help ya beat the hell out of it INSTALLED

LilSooner
9/10/2007, 07:41 PM
We have the Sears rep coming out tomorrow night that should be interesting. I'm pretty sure we are going to pull the trigger on window world.

We also are having some heat and air work done on Friday. Hopefully our house will be a heck of a lot warmer this winter than last.

olevetonahill
9/10/2007, 07:44 PM
Average window cost 150 buck average labor cost to install 50 bucks
Take it from there
If its gonna cost More than about 225 per winder then you have some Hugh winders or yer gettin ****ed !

jk the sooner fan
9/10/2007, 07:47 PM
well, i'd like the new windows to match (as close as possible) to the old ones

i cant get that at home depot

and i really dont want vinyl windows

olevetonahill
9/10/2007, 07:50 PM
well, i'd like the new windows to match (as close as possible) to the old ones

i cant get that at home depot

and i really dont want vinyl windows
Well hell What you Want ?

jk the sooner fan
9/10/2007, 07:51 PM
aluminum or fiberglass

olevetonahill
9/10/2007, 07:52 PM
aluminum or fiberglass
Alum Might be a tad higher !
Ya know you can get Color on the Vinyl right ?
Replace em all and then they Match ;)

LilSooner
9/10/2007, 07:53 PM
Average window cost 150 buck average labor cost to install 50 bucks
Take it from there
If its gonna cost More than about 225 per winder then you have some Hugh winders or yer gettin ****ed !

We have huge windows.

olevetonahill
9/10/2007, 07:56 PM
We have huge windows.
Measure the width add the length that gives you United Inches .
times the # of windows
Hell I bet I can save Yall a bunch and never Leave MY shack. I know where to get em and I gots a Buddy that can put em in !

LilSooner
9/11/2007, 09:18 PM
So we had sears out tonight and it was twice as much as window world.

OUHOMER
9/11/2007, 09:29 PM
So we had sears out tonight and it was twice as much as window world.
what did they say about WW price? Did he put a lot of pressure on ya?

LilSooner
9/11/2007, 09:37 PM
Nah he didn't put a ton of pressure on us but he wouldn't go any lower either.

JohnnyMack
9/11/2007, 10:16 PM
Man, I need new siding and new windows. I guess I shouldn't have bought that boat. :(

jackass.

JohnnyMack
9/11/2007, 10:17 PM
Nah he didn't put a ton of pressure on us but he wouldn't go any lower either.

Well **** him.

olevetonahill
9/11/2007, 11:57 PM
Im serious Peeps
I used to sell and Install windows
Ill hook ya up cheap , :cool:

Soonerus
9/11/2007, 11:59 PM
Im serious Peeps
I used to sell and Install windows
Ill hook ya up cheap , :cool:

watch him...

olevetonahill
9/12/2007, 12:01 AM
watch him...
:P ;)

Soonerus
9/12/2007, 12:04 AM
:P ;)

;) :D :) :cool: ...

TopDaugIn2000
9/12/2007, 10:25 AM
achmed spent over 6K for 6 windows (to fill 2 openings) from Champion. teeeheeeheeeheeee

olevetonahill
9/12/2007, 07:16 PM
achmed spent over 6K for 6 windows (to fill 2 openings) from Champion. teeeheeeheeeheeee
So hes not an ahab Hes a Goose ?:D