PDA

View Full Version : Hornfan comments on Kirk Bohl article

Widescreen
9/2/2007, 05:50 PM
http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5174314&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

First, the article:

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Sunday, September 02, 2007

In a ragged, disjointed season opener that only a Michigan team could really appreciate, Texas won its first football game of the year.

Here's pretty much the extent of the good news: thank goodness Texas wasn't playing somebody really good like Appalachian State. Arkansas State was more than enough.

The Longhorns survived a gritty effort from a really good team picked third in the Sun Belt Conference, which was basically the lesser of two evils Saturday and just slightly better than the upset that befell No. 5 Michigan.

As the rightfully proud Indians walked somberly off the Royal-Memorial Stadium field to fitting applause from Texas fans in the southwest section, defensive tackle Prince Hickman muttered, "They're supposed to be the Big 12."

He's right. And the Longhorns are supposed to be the heavyweights of that league. They are supposed to be a lot of things.

Texas looked very plain in its 21-13 win over Arkansas State, and nothing like a team ranked fourth in the nation. It was very unbecoming a team that was a 39-point favorite.

Asked if the Longhorns looked like a top-10 team, standout wide receiver Limas Sweed said, "I don't know. I'm not an analyst. We went out and played hard."

Unfortunately, they don't give points for playing hard, and the Indians gave up precious few themselves, just seven in the final 47-plus minutes. If the Longhorns play like this the rest of the season, they'll go 7-5.

At least the game was telecast only on PPV (pay-per-view) and not on HTV (Had To View). In the end, Texas finished with fewer yards rushing than Arkansas State, fewer yards passing than Arkansas State, and was penalized for more yards.

The crux of the narrow victory comes down to this:

Texas wasn't physical enough.

Texas wasn't disciplined enough.

Texas didn't finish enough.

Sadly, Mack Brown said he wasn't hard on his team in his postgame locker-room comments.

"No, this place is hard enough," the Longhorns coach said. "We can win by 40, and people are mad. We'll be honest with them and say some of these things are not very good. We couldn't score from the 1-yard line. That's not good."

The Longhorns were denied a touchdown on a terrific goal-line stand by Arkansas State, made repeated errors in trying to contain amazingly elusive quarterback Corey Leonard, and committed personal fouls to extend Indians drives and help ASU reach Texas territory on eight of 11 possessions.

At times, it was hard to tell which Davey O'Brien candidate was better, because Colt McCoy started ablaze and then couldn't get his team in the end zone.

"There were some tough plays, and we didn't convert on some things," McCoy said. "But that's fixable. It was not the prettiest and not the best, but we're 1-0. I'm not discouraged."

He's probably the only one.

Let's get all the lame excuses out of the way.

Arkansas State gives out scholarships, too. Most teams are rusty in their first game. Texas is very young. The Longhorns didn't want to show their hand against next week's perhaps-too-worthy opponent, Texas Christian. The team is a work in progress. It sure beats a loss.

That enough?

Now for the heavy lifting.

What's most worrisome is the lack of a punishing ground game and the realization that the Texas offense may be more finesse that physical. That's an old description of the Longhorns that we'd hoped was dead and buried forever once ol' whazisname took Texas to a national championship. By my count, Texas lined up in the I-formation twice outside the jumbo package inside the 5 and once threw for a nifty touchdown pass to Antwan Cobb out of it.

Too often, McCoy hands the ball to Jamaal Charles, who dances and jukes until he can find daylight. He put on a good offensive show with his assortment of dash and wiggle with his first 100-yard game in 11 games, but for too much of the evening, the running game failed to get untracked and continues to go sideways first.

As that Exhibit A, Texas couldn't punch in a touchdown in four tries from inside the ASU 3-yard line, with Charles held for no gain on fourth-and-goal at the 1.

As a good footnote, offensive coordinator Greg Davis did not call for the quarterback sneak on the lip of the goal-line, and McCoy is healthy enough to play next week.

"I thought it was going to be real easy," Charles said. "I took 'em lightly, then I had to go out and fight for everything."

As did his teammates.

On the bright side, however, we're guessing the Longhorns really didn't want to show TCU anything. Like the idea they're a great team. Here's hoping they save that.

Now the comments from the hornfans thread:

In reply to:

We'll be honest with them and say some of these things are not very good.

Easy there, Coach. At least wait until they've finished their juiceboxes.
:D

VInce was the reason we won the NC, not the coaching. It's time we accepted that reality.
I'm speechless.

More than anything, simply point to an underprepared and probably overrated Texas team that could be in for an interesting season, unfortunately. 7-5? I dunno. Not out of the realm, at all.
Texas fans admitting they are overrated????

...that TCU D is going to completely masticate that milk toast offense we're rolling out there. Our D was an abomination too.
I'm looking forward to that game. A lot.

I fully expect Texas to lose next week.
Tee hee.

"One of the things is they were giving us a lot of run blitzes , and it's hard when they do that."
Greg Davis telling us that in his one dimensional world there are no other options.

"We can win by 40, and people are mad."
Mack showing confidence that all is well.

Man, it's good to see UT fans back to the good old days of slamming their coaches. I guess we now know how long a honeymoon lasts. About 20 months.

Rogue
9/2/2007, 06:02 PM
Juiceboxes!

SoonerStormchaser
9/2/2007, 06:07 PM
That is aw3esoooooome~!

zeke
9/2/2007, 06:13 PM
Juiceboxes!

That actually made me laugh out loud

goingoneight
9/2/2007, 06:19 PM
We're pretty ****ed when we barely beat a weakling and lose to TCU as well. You want me to bring up the threads?

Widescreen
9/2/2007, 06:25 PM
We're pretty ****ed when we barely beat a weakling and lose to TCU as well. You want me to bring up the threads?
So you don't get a kick out of UT fans imploding. Fine. Move along then.

goingoneight
9/2/2007, 06:27 PM
Not when we're possibly going on a losing streak against them. It's only funny when OU gives 'em a dose of reality, IMHO.

stoopified
9/2/2007, 06:38 PM
:)

Zing
9/2/2007, 06:43 PM
So we'll bring the thread back come RRS night and have a good laugh, then?

Jewstin
9/2/2007, 07:04 PM
They looked bad. Baaaaaaaaaad. (In the only footage I saw, since I didn't order it.) Not to mention Arkansas State evidently got screwed on their first onside kick that they recovered (word on Hornfans was that they got jobbed and didn't actually line up illegally).

If that were the Sooners, I'd be just as concerned.

Heck, I was a little worried after UAB last year.

OKC-SLC
9/2/2007, 08:24 PM
ASU is better than NT, I have no doubt.

But damn, Texas is back to their old ways.

Jacie
9/2/2007, 08:41 PM
It is kind of ironic, don't you think? Usually Oklahoma struggles early while saxet blows away their creampuff competition. Well, it is only one game so don't expect them to roll over and die. Both the Sooners and whorns will play tougher teams next week. Those games will be a better indication of how the respective seasons will play out.

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2007, 08:58 PM
juiceboxes

too damn funny

MextheBulldog
9/2/2007, 09:33 PM
"What's most worrisome is the lack of a punishing ground game and the realization that the Texas offense may be more finesse that physical. That's an old description of the Longhorns that we'd hoped was dead and buried forever once ol' whazisname took Texas to a national championship."

The vultures are circling. Add the ASU performance with the A&M choke and ugly Iowa bowl win from last year and you've got a trend. Mack's done gone and lost his MO.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/2/2007, 09:59 PM
Thank God Mack signed a new contract! :D

Position Limit
9/2/2007, 11:22 PM
book'em horns!!!

utex74
9/3/2007, 01:14 AM
ASU is better than NT, I have no doubt.

But damn, Texas is back to their old ways.

We are ****ed and we can and do say that. I recall similar posts on here last year after a slow start by OU. Am I worried? Not yet. Concerned? Yes. If by Texas being back to their "old ways" you mean adding to our series record of 57-39-5, I also hope we are back to the "old ways".

Damn, next Saturday can't get here soon enough. We need to find out what this team is made of. And I hope you beat Miami. I think you should. I want to see us both undefeated Oct 6th.

goingoneight
9/3/2007, 01:25 AM
Here comes the leather helmets era smack again. :rolleyes:

utex74
9/3/2007, 01:38 AM
Here comes the leather helmets era smack again. :rolleyes:

We're stuck with the Macovic and McWilliams era. You're stuck with Gibbs and Blake (and Schnelenberger?). History doesn't begin with Stoops or Brown. What date would you like the records to begin? If 1900 is too early, surely 1999 is too recent. We need to take this rivalry one year at a time.

OK2LA
9/3/2007, 01:44 AM
If by Texas being back to their "old ways" you mean adding to our series record of 57-39-5

:rolleyes:

Come on - you're usually better than that.

utex74
9/3/2007, 01:47 AM
:rolleyes:

Come on - you're usually better than that.

Hey, I go with what I got. This week that is it.

OK2LA
9/3/2007, 01:53 AM

heh.

Octavian
9/3/2007, 01:56 AM
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6533/ackbarfv3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

fwsooner22
9/3/2007, 01:04 PM

This has to an imposter.....Utex usually sounds coherent and has a point........that is some seriously weak and old crap being thrown up.....I am almost sure it must be an imposter. .......:D

and by the way I go back to THIS YEAR.....not last year....not the year we beat ya by 60......THIS YEAR.....that is all that matters

MextheBulldog
9/3/2007, 05:45 PM
What date would you like the records to begin? If 1900 is too early, surely 1999 is too recent.

Modern era is defined as Post 1946.

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/cgi-bin/page.cgi/jb/modern

saxet 30-27-3

GottaHavePride
9/3/2007, 05:53 PM
I find it funny that a UT fan, usually so proud of their educational superiority, misspelled the term "milquetoast" in his reaction to that article.

usmc-sooner
9/3/2007, 06:37 PM
although I'm no UT fan, I don't get why people think Mack isn't a good coach. I think he's pretty damn good. That being said Tuck Fexas

GottaHavePride
9/3/2007, 07:49 PM
Sadly, I have to agree. He wins a pantload of games. He's just not quite as good as Bob.

Stitch Face
9/3/2007, 08:56 PM
If by Texas being back to their "old ways" you mean adding to our series record of 57-39-5, I also hope we are back to the "old ways".

Your team has done well for itself in the last couple of years. Another few decades like that and you may learn what it means to have a tradition based on trophies instead of a string of numbers.