PDA

View Full Version : Great Game...but...

StoopTroup
9/2/2007, 02:31 PM
OUr Sooner Schooner broke down as we were leaving last night.

We got Home to Tulsa around 3:45am.

The car will be brought back to Tulsa tomorrow.

My Wife is really sore from having to stick her leg out and get us a ride. ;)

Flagstaffsooner
9/2/2007, 03:03 PM
Tittay always works better.

olevetonahill
9/2/2007, 03:08 PM
Shoulda Called me . Might not have been able to doanything but then I might have :D

StoopTroup
9/2/2007, 03:23 PM
The transmission started slipping on the old Taurus as we pulled into Goddard Center paking lot.

I checked the fluid level and it was over full. After the game we went down to Walmart [:mad:] and got a siphon pump. I pulled nearly 3 of those water bottles full of transmission fluid off until the level was correct.

Thing is...the car would work as long as the transmission was cool but as soon as it got hot again...it would start to slip.

After we got the fluid level back to normal it was near 1 am so my Brother's BIL gave us a ride home so we could relieve the babysitter.

My backs out today too. :mad:

I'm thinking of trying some of that Seafoam Trans Tune...

Hey Olevet...we're thinking about replacing the transmission but if you have any ideas...I'd be open to any advice.

TIA

ST

OUinFLA
9/2/2007, 06:35 PM
move to OKC
take a bus

StoopTroup
9/2/2007, 07:08 PM
move to Norman
Become a Professional Student
fixed. :D

:pop:

critical_phil
9/2/2007, 07:15 PM
...we're thinking about replacing the transmission

good times.

i just wrote a $2100 check for one of those last week.

StoopTroup
9/2/2007, 07:16 PM
Damn...

olevetonahill
9/2/2007, 08:20 PM
Sounds like it needs to be rebuilt , Get some prices then let me know . Ill make sure you dont hosed like C-P did

critical_phil
9/2/2007, 08:26 PM
.... Ill make sure you dont hosed like C-P did

hell, that's the price after i shopped it around.

the first place told me $3400.

royalfan5
9/2/2007, 08:30 PM
With something as common as a Taurus couldn't you find a functional transmission at a salvage yard for a much better deal than having the existing one rebuilt?

BudSooner
9/3/2007, 12:14 AM
Don't trust a salvage yard tranny, since you will probably end up with a worse one than you already have.

We have bought 2 before and both did little more than last 4 months before getting replaced.
I don't get the high price of that transmission CP? what sort of car is it anyways?

critical_phil
9/3/2007, 12:25 AM
I don't get the high price of that transmission CP? what sort of car is it anyways?

it's my daughter's 02 merc cougar.

i have no idea why it was so much. the first place i had it towed to told me $3400 so i took it to a transmission shop. i called a couple of other places that all told me it'd be ~2K.

i thought about filling it up with some No-Leak and trading it in.

OUinFLA
9/3/2007, 06:22 PM
i thought about filling it up with some No-Leak and trading it in.

which is a good reason not to trust buying one from a salvage yard.

olevetonahill
9/3/2007, 06:36 PM
which is a good reason not to trust buying one from a salvage yard.
I can get 1 with a 90 day Guarantee :D

yermom
9/3/2007, 06:55 PM
reason #324345 not to get an auto tranny ;)

OUinFLA
9/3/2007, 07:07 PM
reason #324345 not to get an auto tranny ;)

was that a legit number, or were you just to lazy to hit any keys on the top part of your number pad?

yermom
9/3/2007, 07:09 PM
i wasn't using the number pad :)

StoopTroup
9/4/2007, 02:08 PM
Sounds like it needs to be rebuilt , Get some prices then let me know . Ill make sure you dont hosed like C-P did
One of my very good friends has a 4 bay shop out in Owasso. I got a Uhaul Truck and a dolly yesterday in Norman at Claussen and Lindsey. Got the car loaded and had it back in Owasso by 6 pm.

I'm working on finding the best deal on gettin it rebuilt.

I'm gonna try and start pulling it down on Thursday.

Me and the Son of my friend with the shop will be coming to the Miami game and will come by the tailgate hopefully...11am sure is early. :eek:

A salvage yard transmission is a last resort IMO.

For a few Dollars more...it's best to have it rebuilt IMO.

Olevet...think I should replace any engine seals after going to the trouble of pulling the transmission?

olevetonahill
9/4/2007, 02:43 PM
One of my very good friends has a 4 bay shop out in Owasso. I got a Uhaul Truck and a dolly yesterday in Norman at Claussen and Lindsey. Got the car loaded and had it back in Owasso by 6 pm.

I'm working on finding the best deal on gettin it rebuilt.

I'm gonna try and start pulling it down on Thursday.

Me and the Son of my friend with the shop will be coming to the Miami game and will come by the tailgate hopefully...11am sure is early. :eek:

A salvage yard transmission is a last resort IMO.

For a few Dollars more...it's best to have it rebuilt IMO.

Olevet...think I should replace any engine seals after going to the trouble of pulling the transmission?
Yup you should replace the rear Main seal at least. Check all the freeze plugs etc.

StoopTroup
9/4/2007, 02:48 PM
That's what I figured.

I've learned my lesson once before on my old 442.

I replaced the transmission on it twice and then the motor had to be rebuilt...thus I put it back the last time motor and transmission.

Thanks OV...

BTW...to rent a Uhaul truck and a dolly to get your car back to T-Town...

It's $217.00.

$50.00 for gas.

$8.50 at the toll booth...:mad:

$5.00 for the Quarter Pounder meal deal too. :mad: Why can't there be better restaurants on the turnpike?

OUinFLA
9/4/2007, 05:12 PM
Why can't there be better restaurants on the turnpike?

Not many people get on the turnpike to go have dinner, would be my guess.

StoopTroup
9/5/2007, 05:36 AM
So far the cheapest I've found for a rebuilt is $900 and I have to pull it myself and install it.

I think we got a quote for 1,300 to 1,500 installed.

I'm thinking I might just let someone do the whole thing for $1,300.00.

olevetonahill
9/5/2007, 11:47 AM
So far the cheapest I've found for a rebuilt is $900 and I have to pull it myself and install it.

I think we got a quote for 1,300 to 1,500 installed.

I'm thinking I might just let someone do the whole thing for $1,300.00.
What kinda car again ?
I may be able to helpya save some

StoopTroup
9/5/2007, 01:53 PM
1993 Taurus.

It's my new drive to work car.

I sold my 2004 Lariat pimptruck and our lease was up on our 2004 Pacifica...

We've lowered our cost of living considerably and hopefully will be ready to sell our hOUse in 6 months and find a larger place with a pool. We've outgrown our casa.

olevetonahill
9/5/2007, 06:40 PM
1993 Taurus.

It's my new drive to work car.

I sold my 2004 Lariat pimptruck and our lease was up on our 2004 Pacifica...

We've lowered our cost of living considerably and hopefully will be ready to sell our hOUse in 6 months and find a larger place with a pool. We've outgrown our casa.
What engine do you have ?
Can you pull it and replace ? I can prolly get ya one a hell of lot cheaper than 9

StoopTroup
9/9/2007, 03:07 PM
Good news....

Was talking to my BIL yesterday and told him about what happened to the car.

He says he had the transmission replaced less than a year ago and that it should still be under warranty.

:D

Okla-homey
9/9/2007, 03:13 PM
Good news....

Was talking to my BIL yesterday and told him about what happened to the car.

He says he had the transmission replaced less than a year ago and that it should still be under warranty.

:D

I hope so. Them warranties got lotsa small print cuz they be drafted by lawyers and sech. There's probably a clause that will boof you.

If so, I think you're smart paying someone to do the job. You ain't no spring chicken no more and I don't want to open my Tulsa World some morning and read a headline: "Local Man Crushed While Installing Rebuilt Engine in POS.";)

StoopTroup
9/9/2007, 03:16 PM
Crushed ain't gonna happen.

We've got tons of ramps, jacks, transmission jacks etc...

What i don't have is the will to lay down on a shop floor for a few hours.