PDA

View Full Version : Nichol

CatfishSooner
9/2/2007, 12:21 AM
Thoughts on playing him tonight...(after Hazle)...mop up

Mistake?

SoonerGrant
9/2/2007, 12:23 AM
I had the impression he was the #2...doesn't that mean he should have come in after Bradford?

CatfishSooner
9/2/2007, 12:24 AM
Thats what I don't understand.., has to mess w/ his confidence, O well Hazle look aright

SoonerGrant
9/2/2007, 12:27 AM
My thoughts exactly! But I'll leave it up to the people who know what they are doing..more than I do :P

BornandBred
9/2/2007, 12:38 AM
Captain Obvious: The coaches played him to get experience.

I think they are trading the extra year of elidgibility they'd get from Nichol in 4 years for the sense of satisfaction they'll get from having a quality backup for the next 4. Plus, he may just compete himself into some playing time.

SoonerGrant
9/2/2007, 12:44 AM

I think they are trading the extra year of elidgibility they'd get from Nichol in 4 years for the sense of satisfaction they'll get from having a quality backup for the next 4. Plus, he may just compete himself into some playing time.

So why did he only play for a few running plays and 1 pass play? I kinda feel bad for the kid.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/2/2007, 12:45 AM

I think they are trading the extra year of elidgibility they'd get from Nichol in 4 years for the sense of satisfaction they'll get from having a quality backup for the next 4. Plus, he may just compete himself into some playing time.Next year we'll have 5 QB's, at least. Something will have to give, probably.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/2/2007, 12:50 AM
He played to give himself and Landry Jones two years apart from each other! :D

Just kidding...

insuranceman_22
9/2/2007, 12:55 AM

Just kidding...

Actually that may be part of it. Hopefully he'll be in several games this year and not because of an injury. He's athletic, strong arm and all, he should develop well.....but Bradford certainly looked like the correct choice as the starter, kid put on quite a display (against unt).

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2007, 01:07 AM
Nichol can still redshirt this year. He says that the coaches haven't talked to him about it yet, though. Haven't checked where the cutoff is this year, but he can play in the first couple of games and still redshirt.

ouwasp
9/2/2007, 01:11 AM
I'm pretty sure if a player steps on the field, at any time, his time is burning. No redshirt for Nichol this yr...

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2007, 01:14 AM
I'm pretty sure if a player steps on the field, at any time, his time is burning. No redshirt for Nichol this yr...

You are incorrect unless the rule has changed recently.

arlington
9/2/2007, 01:31 AM
The rule has been changed for several years now. It used to be that you could play in the first 4 games or a certain percentage of snaps and still redshirt but it hasnt been that way in quite awhile.

Its really simple. The kid left school early to go across the country to play football. If he is one of the 2 top in talent QBs on campus, you have to wean him and let him play some. I want KN happy and having hope(as long as it doesnt cost us a game!) so he wont want to transfer before giving him a chance to see if he can WIN the job. If Hazle isnt considerably better, you play the young guy. If Sam is tghe real deal, redshirt him next year, theres no rush.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/2/2007, 01:32 AM
Redshirt Definition
The term "redshirt" is used to describe a student-athlete who does not participate in competition in a sport for an entire academic year. If you do not compete in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. For example, if you are a qualifier, and you attend a four-year college your freshman year, and you practice but do not compete against outside competition, you would still have the next four years to play four seasons of competition.

Each student is allowed no more than four seasons of competition per sport. If you were not a qualifier, you may have fewer seasons of competition available to you. You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

Please contact the certifying institution or conference for additional information. You also may contact the NCAA membership services staff at 317/917-6222 if you have further questions.

http://www.ncaa.org/eligibility/faqs/faqs_eligibility_seasons.html#redshirt

Ardmore_Sooner
9/2/2007, 01:33 AM
Don't know how old that is though...

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2007, 01:34 AM
The rule has been changed for several years now. It used to be that you could play in the first 4 games or a certain percentage of snaps and still redshirt but it hasnt been that way in quite awhile.

Its really simple. The kid left school early to go across the country to play football. If he is one of the 2 top in talent QBs on campus, you have to wean him and let him play some. I want KN happy and having hope(as long as it doesnt cost us a game!) so he wont want to transfer before giving him a chance to see if he can WIN the job. If Hazle isnt considerably better, you play the young guy. If Sam is tghe real deal, redshirt him next year, theres no rush.

Fair enough. I don't recall them changing the rule. It was always called a medical redshirt with a wink and a nod-you know, like Jason White's redshirt in 1999.

jrsooner
9/2/2007, 01:39 AM
Mistake?Not in my opinion. I don't think Hazle was that great, hence Nichol gets the shot. Besides some "safe" drives at the end, he did a great job. I can easily see him getting the #2 spot over Hazle. It seems like Hazle was 1-2-3-Punt while he was in.

SoonerSinger3
9/2/2007, 02:08 AM
honestly why are we all worrying about the backup situation? bradford looks very good and we have two decent backups to help us out...the nichol situation will work itself out..like discused earlier in the thread, he can still redshirt even if he plays in the next few games...we should be thankful to have this problem! it's early in his career, but Nichol might not see the field if Bradford keeps performing that way...he is so poised in the pocket and comfortable..not ancy at all...he is a SMART QB and that's what we have missed since Jason White

wileyousooner
9/2/2007, 02:11 AM
i feel badly for keith nichol as well. i am one who definitely wants to see him play. i am hoping he will get to play against Utah State, or possibly Tulsa. i am puzzled as to why they played Halzle over Nichols.

thatmediadude
9/2/2007, 02:21 AM

Just kidding...

Landry Jones...Keith Nichol..Jason White..Whoever...will not play until Bradford is gone..IMO. I know its a catch phrase in "just north texas" but his poise and the way he ran the huddles tonight were impressive to say the least..I think he is the real deal..

mhackl
9/2/2007, 02:27 AM
Word of caution...
I was impressed with Sam Bradford too, but he'll need to produce more than a healthy lateral game against opponents like Miami. I'm not saying that he can't, but I think that the jury is still out.

Most of those yards did come after the catch.

olevetonahill
9/2/2007, 02:49 AM
I was there . Sams the Man

jkjsooner
9/2/2007, 02:55 AM
honestly why are we all worrying about the backup situation? bradford looks very good and we have two decent backups to help us out...the nichol situation will work itself out..like discused earlier in the thread, he can still redshirt even if he plays in the next few games...we should be thankful to have this problem! it's early in his career, but Nichol might not see the field if Bradford keeps performing that way...he is so poised in the pocket and comfortable..not ancy at all...he is a SMART QB and that's what we have missed since Jason White

Um, did you read the posts? His redshirt is burned.....

olevetonahill
9/2/2007, 04:09 AM
Um, did you read the posts? His redshirt is burned.....
I believe hes sayin K N can still Redshirt Next year Or the yr after Or the Yr after !

1stTimeCaller
9/2/2007, 06:35 AM
Word of caution...
I was impressed with Sam Bradford too, but he'll need to produce more than a healthy lateral game against opponents like Miami. I'm not saying that he can't, but I think that the jury is still out.

Most of those yards did come after the catch.

The TD he threw into the front corner of the endzone was perfect.

swardboy
9/2/2007, 06:44 AM
The TD he threw into the front corner of the endzone was perfect.

Not to mention the bomb up the right side line to Kelly....

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2007, 07:11 AM
Jason White had the luxury of A TON of yards after catch

all the yards count.....granted we will know exactly what we have after next week, but right now you cant feel anything but really good

jrsooner
9/2/2007, 07:52 AM
granted we will know exactly what we have after next week, but right now you cant feel anything but really goodI agree, jury is still out until next week when we see miami (I'm still want revenge for those games in the 80's). But from all appearances, I'm happy with a Bradford/Nichol QB situation. If Bradford goes down, Nichol should be fine in the spot.

After the past couple of years, I'm leaning more to having a quality backup QB that can fill the spot of the 1st string if anything goes wrong.

PLaw
9/2/2007, 08:18 AM

Mistake?

Initially, I thought his body language said that he didn't really want to be on the field. It's hard to read, though.

The amazing thing about college football is how quickly the pot can go from being empty to overflowing. If Bradford continues to progress and impress, then my hunch is that Nichol will seek a transfer.

Herein lies the problem with starting Fr. at QB. Bowden used to have it figured out at FSU. They all knew they would get two years to start and the beat just went on. When he got pinched into starting a Fr a couple of years ago, the cycle gets broken and it's hard to back on track.

Heupel, Hybl, and White - we had it going, but then Rawls immaturity broke the cycle. Beyond that, the thought of "upside" with Bomar pulled the trigger way, way to soon on Paul.

BOOMER
PLaw

aurorasooner
9/2/2007, 08:32 AM
If Bradford continues to progress and impress, then my hunch is that Nichol will seek a transfer. I was thinking the exact same thing last night. If Bradford goes down in a tight game (knock on wood it doesn't happen), it's going to be interesting to see who's in the bullpen. Tough situation last night. The coaches need to get Bradford some snaps. Otherwise, I think you see a new QB in the middle of the 2nd quarter, where the backup has a chance to show-off his skills and not just hand-off. Although playing BU QB's early in a game is not one of Bob Stoops strong points.

badger
9/2/2007, 09:06 AM
I am just happy that we have our three quarterbacks and Notre Dame has their three...

Like those lame cell phone commericals, we are CHANGING THE CONVESATION...

Know-it-all Sports Guy: Oklahoma looks to have yet another quarterback controversy. Sam Bradford was named the starter, but he split playing time with Hazle and Nichol during the game, which he contributed less than 400 yards and only a few touchdowns in his playing debut. OU also has a conflict at running back, where they relied on newbie Demarco Murray, who impressed few with only five touchdowns in his college debut. He split time with veteran Gutierrez and local kid Madu during the game, while declared starter Allen Patrick, who was on the cover of Sports Illustrated, nursed an injury. In it obvious to me that there will be much for Stoops to discuss this week in preparation for Miami.

bringit
9/2/2007, 09:17 AM
I don't feel bad for Nichol--in fact, I'm sure he made the decision not to redshirt. Redshirting may be recommended by coaches but the player has to make the final call.

GottaHavePride
9/2/2007, 11:39 AM
I thought Halzle looked pretty good - he was 4/5 on his passing.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/2/2007, 12:03 PM
Ummm reasons why we should be worried about the best backup getting playing time:
Injury
If Bradford's success was a fluke and he falls apart (not likely)
Looking to the future and making sure the better backup doesn't transfer

Remembering Tom Stidham
9/2/2007, 04:08 PM
Halzie is a journeyman. Nichol is quality. I was impressed by Nichol's few plays last night. We were all impressed by Bradford but North Texas was just awful. Miami will be a very fine defensive team. They will be difficult to move on. If Bradford falters we will see Nichol.

David Earl
9/2/2007, 04:34 PM
Sportswriter for the DO or TW: Oklahoma looks to have yet another quarterback controversy. Sam Bradford was named the starter, but he split playing time with Hazle and Nichol during the game, which he contributed less than 400 yards and only a few touchdowns in his playing debut. OU also has a conflict at running back, where they relied on newbie Demarco Murray, who impressed few with only five touchdowns in his college debut. He split time with veteran Gutierrez and local kid Madu during the game, while declared starter Allen Patrick, who was on the cover of Sports Illustrated, nursed an injury. In it obvious to me that there will be much for Stoops to discuss this week in preparation for Miami.

Fixed it for ya....

Texas Golfer
9/2/2007, 04:49 PM
Jason White had the luxury of A TON of yards after catch

all the yards count.....granted we will know exactly what we have after next week, but right now you cant feel anything but really good

Bradford had that luxery last night, too. After week 1, I'll bet the Sooners lead the country in YACs.

Although, statistically, Hazle did well (4-5, 40 yards), I was disappointed that Nichol isn't #2. Both being Freshmen, I don't see a benefit of red-shirting Nichol. I'd rather see both Bradford and Nichol together (1-2 punch for four years) than to have Hazle play backup for one year.

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2007, 04:56 PM
yes i'm aware he had that luxury, its why i made the comparison

somebody else posted that most of his yards were YAC......i was just commenting that its ok, its been done before

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2007, 04:59 PM
Yeah, that always kills me when people imply that YAC has nothing to do with the QB. Under that theory, the actual "best" QBs would be the ones that do nothing but throw bombs down the field-the other guys are just relying on everyone else's talent.

YAC comes as a result of a QB recognizing mismatches on the field, finding open receivers, then getting them the ball in a position where they can put the catch away and start moving up the field.

jk the sooner fan
9/2/2007, 05:04 PM
does anybody else fear the quandry that the team will be in when Landry Jones comes to town?

i mean its a good problem to have.....but wow

sooner94
9/2/2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah, that always kills me when people imply that YAC has nothing to do with the QB. Under that theory, the actual "best" QBs would be the ones that do nothing but throw bombs down the field-the other guys are just relying on everyone else's talent.

YAC comes as a result of a QB recognizing mismatches on the field, finding open receivers, then getting them the ball in a position where they can put the catch away and start moving up the field.

You nailed it. Good YAC results from an accurate QB that sees the field well.

MextheBulldog
9/2/2007, 10:04 PM
IMO, Nichol will transfer. No way he sits on the bench for the next four years just hoping for a chance. This is a big time recruit who came to OU to play. No playing time, and he's back up to East Lansing or somewhere D-2 in the Upper Midwest.

CatfishSooner
9/2/2007, 10:17 PM
Bradford looks like he's the man for now...

Animal Mother
9/3/2007, 06:36 PM
IMO, Nichol will transfer. No way he sits on the bench for the next four years just hoping for a chance. This is a big time recruit who came to OU to play. No playing time, and he's back up to East Lansing or somewhere D-2 in the Upper Midwest.

You got all that from one 79-10 blowout? He won't be number three for long and according to his old man, he has no intention of transferring. How many players have come to a school for spring after early high school graduation and bolted because of time played in a pummeling of an over-matched opponent? Halzle is going to have a football injury soon. Hemorrhoids from riding the bench.

Animal Mother
9/3/2007, 06:37 PM

You got all that from one 79-10 blowout? He won't be number three for long and according to his old man, he has no intention of transferring. How many player have come to a school for spring after early high school graduation and bolted because of time played in a pummeling of an over-matched opponent? Halzle is going to have a football injury soon. Hemorrhoids from riding the bench.

Animal Mother
9/3/2007, 06:38 PM
Man I love it when I get an itchy trigger finger and double post!!

arlington
9/3/2007, 11:04 PM
Animal mother does the name Jevan Snead ring a bell with ya? He also went to UT early to compete in the spring against an unproven RS Frosh and once it became clear that he wasn't going to win the job over time, out he went. I dont care what Keiths dad said, he is not a safety where you give him 20 snaps and some special teams duty and maybe he is happy to stay. He is a QB and you can only play one at a time. I hope that I am wrong but there is enough evidence nationwide with QBs that shows that if they arent playing within a year or 2, they are gone!

goingoneight
9/3/2007, 11:51 PM
Didn't have anything to do with the fact that Jevan was 0-3 in games he played in, did it? I don't think fans booing you exactly makes you feel like you made the right decision.

SoonerKnight
9/4/2007, 12:46 AM
Animal mother does the name Jevan Snead ring a bell with ya? He also went to UT early to compete in the spring against an unproven RS Frosh and once it became clear that he wasn't going to win the job over time, out he went. I dont care what Keiths dad said, he is not a safety where you give him 20 snaps and some special teams duty and maybe he is happy to stay. He is a QB and you can only play one at a time. I hope that I am wrong but there is enough evidence nationwide with QBs that shows that if they arent playing within a year or 2, they are gone!

So they don't redshirt Nichol and he played limited time Saturday but if Sam struggles I can see the coaches putting in Nichol. I just don't see Nichol leaving yet. Heck as impressive as Sam was Nichol has the potential to be even better. IMHO. :D

soonerlaw
9/4/2007, 09:50 AM
Here's my take: KN plays backup this year, redshirts next year. SB leaves OU after his junior year after he leads the team to a MNC and wins the Heisman, giving KN 2 solid years for a repeat. :)

UberSooner
9/4/2007, 11:10 AM
I was wondering about putting Nichol in myself but a friend of mine posed a rather machiavelian explanation. He figures the coaches don't want a repeat of what happened when Bomar got the axe and thier other QB's had transfered. If they play Nichol now, he's only got two years of eligibility with a transfer.

opksooner
9/4/2007, 11:16 AM
Interesting, but.........neither of the two previous posts takes into consideration the arrival of Landry Jones next year.

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2007, 11:20 AM
I was wondering about putting Nichol in myself but a friend of mine posed a rather machiavelian explanation. He figures the coaches don't want a repeat of what happened when Bomar got the axe and thier other QB's had transfered. If they play Nichol now, he's only got two years of eligibility with a transfer.

OK, so I was wrong once in this thread, but I'm pretty sure on this one: IF KN were to transfer out after this year, his red shirt year would be available to use on his sit out year, so he would have three years of playing eligibility regardless.

arlington
9/4/2007, 05:06 PM
Jevan played in 1 loss, the K-State game. Colt was back for the A&M game, but who needs facts nowadays. The point remains that he was a HS hotshot who left school early to compete for a job and when another young QB won it, he was out. And its happening all over the country so to think that that would NEVER happen here with Keith is pretty naive thinking.

If hes ready, you play him to get him experience. You play him to keep him happy and competing.

Landthief 1972
9/4/2007, 05:18 PM

I hear Michigan could use a good quarterback. :D

TopDawg
9/4/2007, 05:23 PM
Fair enough. I don't recall them changing the rule. It was always called a medical redshirt with a wink and a nod-you know, like Jason White's redshirt in 1999.

I don't know if someone else has already addressed this, but he can still get a medical redshirt this year. I think in order to quality for a medical redshirt you have to have played in no more than 10 quarters.

The risk there is that you (typically) only get one regular and one medical redshirt, so if they use it this year it would be tough to get another one should he actually need it later.

TopDawg
9/4/2007, 05:24 PM
OK, so I was wrong once in this thread, but I'm pretty sure on this one: IF KN were to transfer out after this year, his red shirt year would be available to use on his sit out year, so he would have three years of playing eligibility regardless.

That's the way I understand it too. He'd lose this season all together but could transfer, redshirt during his "sit-out" year and then have 3 left.

picasso
9/4/2007, 05:29 PM
i feel badly for keith nichol as well. i am one who definitely wants to see him play. i am hoping he will get to play against Utah State, or possibly Tulsa. i am puzzled as to why they played Halzle over Nichols.
huh?

it's been pretty obvious from what the coaches have been saying that he's going to play some this year. no redshirt.