KC//CRIMSON
9/1/2007, 09:31 PM
TOTAL NET YARDS

Ark St - 394
Whorn - 345

TCU is going to give Mack *hit fits.:mack:

fossil
9/1/2007, 09:56 PM
I was shocked by this score. Texass should drop in the polls and I'm thinking by more than one or two positions.

85sooners
9/1/2007, 10:16 PM
:D

utex74
9/1/2007, 10:50 PM
IT's now final!

I just got back from the game and it was horrible. The worst I've seen Texas play since I watched us lose to UCLA in '97. (I missed the two beatdowns from you in 2000 and 2003) We have a lot of work to do in the next five weeks before October 6, even if we can avoid a couple of loses before then. If Arkansas St. was running behind your line they would have flat rolled us.

It is better than a loss like Michigan but that is about all I can say positive about tonight. I have nothing positive to say. You guys have a blast ripping us. It is well deserved.

goingoneight
9/1/2007, 10:52 PM
I am more than happy we took care of business tonight and all... but I think I'll hold my breath until the real showdown. Only a couple of weeks for the two teams to get it all put together.

proudsoonergal
9/1/2007, 11:31 PM
I just got back from the game and it was horrible. The worst I've seen Texas play since I watched us lose to UCLA in '97. (I missed the two beatdowns from you in 2000 and 2003) We have a lot of work to do in the next five weeks before October 6, even if we can avoid a couple of loses before then. If Arkansas St. was running behind your line they would have flat rolled us.

It is better than a loss like Michigan but that is about all I can say positive about tonight. I have nothing positive to say. You guys have a blast ripping us. It is well deserved.

I heard a similar report from three other UT fans. Sounded like everyone on the team (with the except of Sweed and, at times, J. Charles) was playing like they were going through the motions, and after the first quarter McCoy looked completely off. Apparently the onside kick penalty at the end (which made ASU kick again) was kinda questionable too.

milesl
9/1/2007, 11:38 PM
;) I know it is just the first game of the season, but I see an undefeated season for the Sooners.

OK2U
9/1/2007, 11:43 PM
And yet, when the new polls come out, the media will have Texas ahead of us. Any guesses to how far the Wolverines will fall?

soonerloyal
9/1/2007, 11:43 PM
Ehhh, y'all just had a jerky start. The few clips I saw of McCoy looked good. The announcer said he thought McCoy had matured a lot. That long bomb (to Sweed?) was nicely done. Of course, you saw the game and I didn't, but I can't see y'all not ironing some things out.

I'll save the ripping for after the game on October 6, no mercy then. OU will win the RRS bigtime this year.

SoonerKnight
9/1/2007, 11:47 PM
Ehhh, y'all just had a jerky start. The few clips I saw of McCoy looked good. The announcer said he thought McCoy had matured a lot. That long bomb (to Sweed?) was nicely done. Of course, you saw the game and I didn't, but I can't see y'all not ironing some things out.

I'll save the ripping for after the game on October 6, no mercy then. OU will win the RRS bigtime this year.

Agreed 100% I see OU playing for another title!!!! Dang wish I could have watched the game! Sounds like the offense was as explosive as they were back in 2000!!! What year it's going to be 21/23 for 363 and 3 TD's. WOW!!! :cool: :hot:

CatfishSooner
9/2/2007, 12:11 AM
Sooners #1

josh09
9/2/2007, 12:15 AM

I wish it would have been on tv so i could have watched you guys.

So it was really that bad?

insuranceman_22
9/2/2007, 12:33 AM
I can't rag the whorens to much just yet. We came out of the gate last year with UAB and it wasn't impressive....yet we were the B12 champs when it all shook out. tex. laid an egg tonight and OU was on......Let's wait till next week and see how it pans out, then we can't start the talk (I hope)

sooner n houston
9/2/2007, 07:26 AM
Texas didn't have this one wrapped up until Brandon Foster recovered an onside kick with less than a minute to play, and that came after the Indians (0-1) were forced to re-kick because of a penalty that negated an onsider they recovered.

Texas' troubles were plenty, starting with a retooled defense that allowed Arkansas State to grind out long drives and break off big plays. With three new starters in the secondary and co-coordinator Duane Akina calling the plays this season, the defense often looked lost as Arkansas State mixed the run and pass.

And the short-yardage running game that all but disappeared last season? Still missing. Texas couldn't punch the ball into the end zone on four running plays from the Arkansas State 3 in third quarter.

"This was a major wake-up call," said senior defensive tackle Derek Lokey, who also plays fullback in short-yardage situations. "It's a good opportunity to look at where we really are."

Arkansas State never led yet had its chances to pull off the upset. If not for two missed field goals and an interception in the end zone, the Indians could have done the unthinkable and won it.

McCoy finished with 223 yards passing and two touchdowns, but also threw two interceptions and had three more passes dropped by Indians defenders.

Arkansas State, outgained Texas 397 yards to 340 and drove inside the 20 four times without scoring.

McCoy played perhaps his most inconsistent game. After hitting his first eight passes, he started misfiring with the interceptions and never looked sharp.

"It wasn't good. I just didn't handle myself that well," McCoy said.

The Longhorns finally appeared to put it away when Jamaal Charles, who managed to grind out 112 yards on 27 carries, scored from the 10 midway through the third for a 21-3 lead.

Arkansas State then drove to the Texas 17 before Leonard dropped the snap on fourth-and-1, killing yet another Indians drive inside the Longhorns 20.

With old Southwest Conference rival No. 22 TCU coming in next week, Texas has its hand full working out what they hope are just a few kinks and not more serious problems.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/recap;_ylt=Ao4sEQOjovE5_hhvDsKzzXMcvrYF?gid=200709 010083&prov=ap

aurorasooner
9/2/2007, 07:39 AM
McCoy finished with 223 yards passing and two touchdowns, but also threw two interceptions and had three more passes dropped by Indians defenders.

Arkansas State, outgained Texas 397 yards to 340 and drove inside the 20 four times without scoring.
:eek: :eek: Hard to believe that Arkie State put up almost 400 yards on Texas.

fadada1
9/2/2007, 08:04 AM
And yet, when the new polls come out, the media will have Texas ahead of us. Any guesses to how far the Wolverines will fall?

just ahead of sam houston state.

aurorasooner
9/2/2007, 08:37 AM
Any guesses to how far the Wolverines will fall? Appy state's a pretty damned good team. Obviously they were overlooked by Michigan much the same way we overlooked Boise State, and a lot of pieces had to fall in just the right place for them to win. I tell you one thing 1) I'd hate to be Oregon next week playing in Ann Arbor 2) Besides us putting an absolute beating on the co-canes next week, Nothing I would like to see better than Oregon not only get a ref-screwing but just get just humiliated by Michigan and then the following week Michigan just beat the living sheeet out of the Domers, 3) ASU is going to have a helluva time scheduling big name schools for opening games from now on.

Soonerman08
9/2/2007, 09:40 AM
Appy state's a pretty damned good team. Obviously they were overlooked by Michigan much the same way we overlooked Boise State, and a lot of pieces had to fall in just the right place for them to win. I tell you one thing 1) I'd hate to be Oregon next week playing in Ann Arbor 2) Besides us putting an absolute beating on the co-canes next week, Nothing I would like to see better than Oregon not only get a ref-screwing but just get just humiliated by Michigan and then the following week Michigan just beat the living sheeet out of the Domers, 3) ASU is going to have a helluva time scheduling big name schools for opening games from now on.

Two big differences though between Appy State and Boise State. Appy State is in 1-AA (grant it they had won the title the past two years) but still...it's bad either way you dice it. Also, Boise State hasn't lost more than 10 games since 2000 or some crazy number like that, I don't remember.

soonerhubs
9/2/2007, 10:38 AM
Not to be judging too prematurely, but do you think Colt may have looked "all world" last year because of that line he was lined up behind?

bluedogok
9/2/2007, 10:51 AM
App State could beat a bunch of the I-A bottom feeders consistently.

47straight
9/2/2007, 12:30 PM
Not to be judging too prematurely, but do you think Colt may have looked "all world" last year because of that line he was lined up behind?

I keep screaming that around these parts until I'm blue in the face, but noone listens. They just kiss their Tiger Beat poster of Glass Joe and then close their locker.

utex74
9/2/2007, 12:56 PM

Maybe but that wasn't his problem last night. On his bad throws he was usually not under pressure. He just sailed the ball or threw behind the receiver. I think the whole team just thought they were going to go out and play toss and catch and win by 50. Ark. St took it seriously. Every team could take a lesson from how they never gave less than their best. After a couple of easy scores, Texas seemed to quit.

At least I hope that is most of it. If not, TCU will kill us. (never thought I'd say that!)

47straight
9/2/2007, 07:11 PM
At least I hope that is most of it. If not, TCU will kill us. (never thought I'd say that!)

Ed Clements on KLBJ had been talking about how TCU was Texas' "marquee" non-conference game. I couldn't tell if he was being sarcastic or sunshine pumping. Now that statement seems flat out real.

Any chance that the karma of laughing at OU's loss to TCU is about to come around?

arlington
9/2/2007, 07:21 PM
Good point, soonerhubler. I watched the game and all this supposed improved arm strength just wasnt there tonight. You cant throw every pass like its a fade route. Some of his passes looked like punts. And considering he passes from the shotgun, there was still some token pressure which had him moving around some in the pocket. Way too much pressure for a QB who starts the play 6 yards deep. UT Oline was awful. Ulatoski especially. There dbacks and backers were nonexistent as well and they lost Orakpo there best DE also. The sophomore jinx will hit McCoy unless that line improves very quickly.

KantoSooner
9/2/2007, 08:43 PM
Any chance that the karma of laughing at OU's loss to TCU is about to come around?

We can all devotely hope. That would be too funny for words.

MextheBulldog
9/2/2007, 10:18 PM

Question: The paper recap suggested ASU had four empty trips inside the tu 20 with no points. So the D had to play decent, eh? Any noticeable diff between Akina v. Chizik calling the shots?

utex74
9/3/2007, 01:45 AM
Question: The paper recap suggested ASU had four empty trips inside the tu 20 with no points. So the D had to play decent, eh? Any noticeable diff between Akina v. Chizik calling the shots?

Couldn't tell. Arkie St didn't try any halfback passes. (But the D did seem to wake up inside the 20.)