PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Boosters

LoyalFan
9/1/2007, 12:25 PM
So far as I know, no Sooner booster is involved in Ryan Broyles travails, but I believe it's time to address the matter boosters who aid and abet, even entice and encourage, kids to violate the rules.
I strongly feel that if 'bad" boosters were brought up on criminal charges, convicted, and heavily fined and/or sentenced to jail time, it would go a long way to discourage others from like behavior.
Further, I'd like to see OU and other schools ban crooked boosters from any and all participation in collegiate sports. They should be driven out of any organized booster clubs, season ticket privileges revoked, AND barred from, in our case, Owen Field or any other OU sports venue.
I understand that some of the suspect ones give generously to legitimate Sooner fundraising programs, but that should carry no weight, none, in assessing penalties. The good guys will take up the slack and probably be happy to do so when some lowlife has been identified and "disappeared" from the Sooner sports scene.
I'm of the firm belief that, once a few bad apples have been made examples of, the ongoing problem of rogue boosters will be much reduced or eliminated at ALL institutions who adopt the policy I outline herein.
If the arrogant recidivists who caused SMU's Death Penalty had been nailed to the wall many of the problems occuring in subsequent years would surely have been avoided. Heck, even a Texas Governor was involved in THAT one and he should have been hung out to dry.
Yes, one CAN say "Hey! The kid knew the difference between right and wrong!"; True, that, but the adult involved knew the differences all the more.
This is NOT a Ryan Broyles-related post, in that so far as I know there was no collusion between him and the firm whose gasoline he was helping himself to. If that proves to be untrue, then I'd like to see the guilty adult punished severely.
Just my frustrated .02 worth (substantial discount available.)

LoyalFan

Frozen Sooner
9/1/2007, 12:29 PM
^^

I'd sign that petition.

Rogue
9/1/2007, 12:36 PM
Is this related to Rogue's post-padding scheme?

I agree with your proposal, but realize it's about as likely as politicians swearing off of big money corporate donors. It just ain't gonna happen as long as the schools get big jack and perks from it. Like cutting off your nose and all that. Sure, it would have been smarter at SMU in the long run, but as long as the money is staring the school in the face today, they're gonna take it. It all spends the same.

It's sort of impossible to police perfectly. The NCAA tries to hold schools accountable when, in fact, the schools are often in the business of making money from "amateur" athletics. The "amateur athletes" OTOH, aren't supposed to be according to the NCAA rules. It's a weird system when you look more than a layer deep in that onion.

Rogue
9/1/2007, 12:37 PM
This thread is ripe for copycatting.

Dio
9/1/2007, 01:07 PM
This thread is ripe for copycatting.

Done

Aries
9/1/2007, 01:18 PM
Seriously doubt you're ever going to see recruiting violations become part of the criminal code. Frankly, I'd rather have policemen focus on protecting my life and property.

Now, if someone helps them steal gas, that's another matter.