PDA

View Full Version : thank you soonersports.com and cstv for absolutely ruining my computer

oumartin
8/31/2007, 10:09 PM
well its been nice posting but as soon as I signed up 18 Internet explorers opened up and now my computer won't even pull up the damn internet.

DO NOT JOIN SOONERSPORTS OR CSTV!!!

DrZaius
8/31/2007, 10:11 PM
Sweet!....see avatar!

TheHumanAlphabet
8/31/2007, 10:23 PM
This is why on my business owned computer, I can't order things like this...I have to rely on the streaming radio from the radio stations sites.

SoonerGirl06
8/31/2007, 10:24 PM
Viruses succ.

goingoneight
8/31/2007, 10:30 PM
It took a few days for my AV program to pick it up... but CSTV did, I kid you not, the EXACT SAME THING to me recently when I wanted to watch the BIG 12 Media Days coverage. Go into safe mode and run your virus-scanner. Viel gluck, my friend. :(

oumartin
8/31/2007, 10:43 PM
so it gave you viruses? is this a conflict of drivers and whatnot?

sooneron
8/31/2007, 10:44 PM
I have said it earlier this year, CSTV sucks.

oumartin
8/31/2007, 10:46 PM
i called cstv and the girl said. oh no. this has never happened . i have never heard of this.
I swear my blood pressure is 200/170 right now. I am in a fighting mood.

I guess i am just gonna reformat.

goingoneight
8/31/2007, 10:48 PM
so it gave you viruses? is this a conflict of drivers and whatnot?

It brought up a bunch of windows non-stop and changed a lot of my PC's settings. It put a stupid "Spyware Shield" desktop on that I could close like a window... then it popped right back up. Don't turn off your system restore... you might need it.

olevetonahill
8/31/2007, 10:50 PM
i called cstv and the girl said. oh no. this has never happened . i have never heard of this.
I swear my blood pressure is 200/170 right now. I am in a fighting mood.

I guess i am just gonna reformat.
Hell lets Hook up, I wanta fight :D

oumartin
8/31/2007, 10:50 PM
i'm just reformatting.. backing up photos of the wife and kiddos.

olevetonahill
8/31/2007, 10:52 PM
i'm just reformatting.. backing up photos of the wife and kiddos.
Oh Hell YEA :D

sooneron
8/31/2007, 10:57 PM
I figured Martin would go out in a true to SO form meltdown.

oumartin
8/31/2007, 11:02 PM
well I wasn't gonna stop posting forever. I just den think i had the format disk on me! I am stuck in BFE . Soon as I get this last 4 gigs of pics and vids backed up I am reformatting.
How am i posting you ask. well I have my ways. :D

goingoneight
8/31/2007, 11:28 PM
It's the horsepigs' fault. :mad:

oumartin
8/31/2007, 11:32 PM
reformatting in progress !

goingoneight
8/31/2007, 11:34 PM
Get on the Drunkytown Express, it helps out a lot I've learned. :D

oumartin
8/31/2007, 11:43 PM
I can't. I am working.. I would love to be sh!t faced right now.
guess I should have just waited for the intro video to make it on youtube sometime tomorrow.
CSTV had the nerve to ask my why I was cancelling my subscription 20 minutes after signing up

soonerboomer93
9/1/2007, 12:26 AM
you running IE or firefox?

I didn't have anything like that happen on IE 7 last night, but I was having some weird feed problems, I'm going to check tonight, and if I have to reformat before tomorrow, well, I'll be pizzed...

oumartin
9/1/2007, 12:39 AM
Internet explorer..

It was the suck. I mean it slowed my whole system down to a crawl though.

soonerboomer93
9/1/2007, 12:52 AM
I had my computer slow down a bit earlier today when logging in there from work, but no pop ups or anything like that...

I didn't pay attention to banner adds since my internet securiy suite blocks most of them anyways...

but there are occationally bad ads on sites...

oumartin
9/1/2007, 12:55 AM
my mcafee is really good at catching stuff generally and I also have pop up blocker from yahoo. never a lick of trouble until I signed up for that service.

soonerboomer93
9/1/2007, 12:57 AM
mc afee is full of fail imho....

oumartin
9/1/2007, 01:00 AM
thats how I feel about norton! :)

all i know is I will not sign up for that service again. CSTV is getting yet another earful tomorrow and so will the folks in charge of soonersports.

I am concerned now though cuz i have no virus protection with me to put on my notebook when i am done reformatting

soonerboomer93
9/1/2007, 01:17 AM
i don't use norton the invasive impossible to remove memory leak either

actually i run trend micro internet security (you can download a free trial)

you can also run avg free (but I am more then happy to pay for my av software)

oumartin
9/1/2007, 01:21 AM
well I may just have to try that. thank you very much

goingoneight
9/1/2007, 02:01 AM
I don't use anything "free" usually because often times they are a form of spyware or adware to buy something else. Be careful what you use, bud. :)

soonerboomer93
9/1/2007, 02:05 AM
avg is "safe" free ware

so are programs like ad-aware and spybot search & destroy

there are plenty of good freeware program because open source programming

but, i'd rather pay for certain programs to protect my computer the rely on cut down free versions....

oumartin
9/1/2007, 02:10 AM
amazing how much better a reformatted machine will run

aurorasooner
9/1/2007, 05:05 AM
Windows Media Player blows, especially wmp 10 and wmp 11. If you're running a software firewall and can view your real time connections, you can't beleive how many times this POS connects to the M$ servers for tracking you. I've reverted back to WMP 9 and it's quiet compared to wmp 10 and wmp 11.
an alternate way of viewing soonersports.com videos if you have problems with IE and WMP viewing them. 1) Download/install the VLC media player (BTW VLC will also play Flash & transcode flash, but it's transcoding engine is middle of the road at best ) 2) open the vlc media player 3) select "file" on the top left 4) select open network stream 4) select HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/MMS and then copy and paste the url of the video on soonersports.com in here. To get the url, right click on the link of the video on soonersports.com, select "properties" and just copy the address. here is the address from the DJ Wolfe comments on the North Texas Game mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/07-08/video/m-footbl/08aug/20070828_i_wolfe.wmv Do not try and use the "slider" at the bottom of the vlc media player as it just reverts the video back to the beginning. as far as you're computer opening up all those IE windows. 1) dump IE and run FX (firefox) then google "about:config" security and do some reading on how to set up the FX configuration for security 2) run NoScript with FX 3) Download Ccleaner and run it 4)download HijackThis and do a system scan only, and save the log file and post it over at the CastleCops board under Malware Cleaning HijackThis or over at TechSupportGuy forums under Internet & Networking,
Malware Removal & HijackThis Logs--------Do Not Delete Anything with HijackThis until one of the mods says to.
If you're looking for a good security suite the you might try KAV (kaspersky). It's priced right at about $20/year (softwareblowouts.com or computersworth.com). It's memory usage is far less than Mcafee (resource hog with no less than 6 sub programs constantly connecting to Mcafee servers) or norton (although norton business av (10.1/xp & 10.2/vista isn't bad). KAV doesn't play well with software firewalls (outpost & comodo) although some say if you install KAV 1st before installing the FW, it's ok. NOD32 is a very good AV with low resource use and I haven't had any trouble with it and either of the software FWs. It's still priced a little high though. Nod32 also stays quiet if you manually update (unlike freakin' Mcafee which the only way to keep quiet is just deny it's connections by your FW). Comodo Boclean is also pretty good real-time anti-malware and free, although I don't think it's as good since comodo purchased BoClean). [/I]BTW, as far as AVG (free version) goes, it's just not very good imo. I still run Mcafee on one box because it's free from my ISP and after dumping AVG free, and installing Mcafee it picked up a ton of stuff AVG free missed. If you're looking for a free AV, I would probably consider Avast or Antivir (avira) before AVG free. (just be careful if you use the uninstall engine of antivir (it's nasty). After uninstalling antivir I had to reinstall xp from an acronis image.

OklaPony
9/1/2007, 07:39 AM
i don't use norton the invasive impossible to remove memory leak either

actually i run trend micro internet security (you can download a free trial)

you can also run avg free (but I am more then happy to pay for my av software)
Ditto on Trend Micro. I've had excellent luck with them for about 7 years now.

Animal Mother
9/3/2007, 06:56 PM
I'm using Vista since April. I've used AVG for eight years with zero problems.
Why is IE slowing down your computer? I never have problems with it.

soonerboomer93
9/3/2007, 07:46 PM
The spyware was slowing down his system.

I've had good luck, but their new filter is a bit annoying now. The filter keeps cutting out youtube on my, and I had to reallow advertising for cstv to work right.

ouflak
9/4/2007, 06:03 AM
Eventually I'm going to track down the addresses you absolutely need available to allow CSTV to run. I had to disable my entire host file protections. And as I've finally figured out, the reason I had to do this is so a commercial can run previous to all broadcasts. If I'm paying for a service to view something, one of the things I'm paying for is no commercials. A few tweaks, and I might be able to kill that advertisement without disrupting my service. If I figure that trick out, I will post it everywhere on the internet where people might be interested (including this thread).