PDA

View Full Version : How many Sooner Fans like Barry Switzer?

oupride
8/31/2007, 01:26 PM
And why? I am disgusted another thread that shall not be named has been allowed to remain on this board. So the question is ,how many Sooner fans like Barry and why?

I personally volunteered and worked extra hard at the Barry Switzer Salute in Houston to make it extra special for the King. When the man is 4th all-time in NCAA history with 83.7% winning percent he is without a doubt responsible for the continued legacy of the storied OU football program.

There were over 600 former players and people that showed up that summer evening in Houston. In fact, the hotel had to open a 2nd room for the those to watch on a big screen when there was no seating left in the main dining hall. We saluted the man that night and I personally thanked him for beating TX in 1971. Heck, he wasn't even the head coach then, but he was responsible for persuading Coach Fairbanks to run the wishbone. And yeah, the rest is written on the stadium scoreboard.

So PUH-leeez lets show him some love and THANK him on this thread and put the other ugly thread to bed!

XingTheRubicon
8/31/2007, 01:30 PM
I would let Barry have any rug in the house.

....sickos.

85sooners
8/31/2007, 01:31 PM
switzer is the man

The Maestro
8/31/2007, 01:34 PM
How does Barry Switzer make me feel? I will let him speak for me...in his own words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD96HQ_6w3M

And THAT'S why I love the King! Just a great all around guy! And some of the best memories of my life of courtesy of his leadership of OU football.

oupride
8/31/2007, 01:53 PM
How does Barry Switzer make me feel? I will let him speak for me...in his own words.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD96HQ_6w3M

And THAT'S why I love the King! Just a great all around guy! And some of the best memories of my life of courtesy of his leadership of OU football.

What I did not say was he and Coach Fairbanks turned the football team around that season. What is significant about the TX game is they were the defending NC!

Crucifax Autumn
9/1/2007, 12:16 AM
I've always loved the man...

Some of my earliest childhood memories are of looking at the absolutely amazing scores on the Dr. Pepper colector's bottles with the schedules and scores from the 74 and 75 seasons.

From there I watched the King coach countless numbers of the best players in college history.

When I was in high school I read bootleggers boy again and again, each time gaining more respect for his direct and honest stories about the game and the behind the scenes parts of recruiting and dealing with other coaches.

Switzer is the greatest all-around coach I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I love Stoops, but he needs another 8 years or so before I'll be able to rank him in the same class as Switzer, or for that matter, Wilkinson.

SteelClip49
9/1/2007, 12:37 AM
Oh how I miss the Chicken Ranch; best damn banana pudding ever. I guess he is now into storage. Ah whatever...5 rings (4 recognized), the man who is on the Mount Rushmore of COLLEGE FOOTBALL coaches.

Rogue
9/1/2007, 07:38 AM
I'm a big fan. I remember the first time I ran into coach in Norman. It was at Opie's! The man was a great football coach and, as a lifelong Cowboys fan I was really happy for him, Aikman, and the Cowboys when he led them to a Super Bowl. I disagree that it was with JJohnson's players, they were Jerry Jones' players! The guy is a throwback to a time when football coaches weren't expected to also be diplomats, ambassadors, or cosmopolitan sophisticates. Can't think of another coach, past or present, that I'd rather have a cold beer with, take a fishing trip with, or play a game of cards.

His accomplishments are amazing and his personality is HUGE.

PLaw
9/1/2007, 09:02 AM
And why? I am disgusted another thread that shall not be named has been allowed to remain on this board. So the question is ,how many Sooner fans like Barry and why?
So PUH-leeez lets show him some love and THANK him on this thread and put the other ugly thread to bed!

It's hard to concisely put into a few words. My dad moved to Norman in 1936 +/-. Dirt poor and with my grandfather in the mental health hospital, dad and his brother hung out at the OU athletic facilities. Over the years, the trainers at OU kept dad in socks and sweats. That's the spirit of OU to me - helping others less fortunate.

That said, Barry epitomizes that spirit - to a fault. Sometimes it got the program on the NCAA radar, but Barry understood that we have a greater purpose on this planet and when self-righteous rules go against doing the right thing, then f*** the rules.

I've crossed paths with Barry several times. Never spoke with him, but gave him that Oklahoma look into the eye with a nod of the head acknowledging him personally. That look has always been returned.

There is not a doubt in my mind if there is a need - Barry would give you the shirt off of his back to help out. I may be wrong, but there are too many examples that say different.

BOOMER SOONER & GOD BLESS BARRY SWITZER
PLaw

Rogue
9/1/2007, 09:03 AM
Wow, great post PLaw!

SwitzerFan
9/1/2007, 09:26 AM
There is no one like him. To me he is the "MAGIC" in "SOONER MAGIC". The confidence, and swagger he has is second to none. He is the best recruiter. A pure football genius. A great motivator. A hero to many. I know he was my hero as a little boy and still is. Thanks Coach Switzer.

SoonerRedHead
9/1/2007, 09:53 AM
I have had the good fortune to speak with the King many times over the years. He has always been gracious, and accomodating.

During the wild weather this past May I was stuck in the OKC airport with Barry, and Molly & David Boren. I was totally starstruck. I complimented Mrs. Boren on how wonderful the campus looks now, totally forgetting about the monies they've raised nor the number of merit scholars etc...

But, Barry! We talked & talked and for once I was able to help him see if his flights were going make it.

He IS always the King!