PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Broyles Arrested

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 09:44 AM
http://www.normantranscript.com/homepage/local_story_243102415.html?keyword=leadpicturestor y

OU freshman football player Ryan Broyles was arrested for allegedly attempting to steal gasoline from a convenience store pump early today, Norman police confirmed.

Broyles, 19, was booked into the Cleveland County Detention Center at 12:10 a.m. Friday on attempted larceny charges. He was released at 3:44 a.m. after posting $200 cash bond, according to a sheriff’s captain.

Norman Police Capt. Leonard Judy said a Norman officer was on routine patrol on East Alameda about midnight. The officer noticed a vehicle parked at the gas pumps at Mr. Shortstop which was closed.

“He observed a male subject standing between gas pumps and an SUV. He pulled into investigate,” Judy said.

Judy said that there was a key inserted into the front of the gas pump. “Upon further investigation, it was determiend that Mr. Broyles was in a possession of a key and codes with which the pump could be activated to pump gas,” Judy said.

“He determined that Mr. Broyles was not an employee and had not been an employee of Mr. Shortstop,” Judy said. He was then arrested for attempted larceny.

OU officials said they were aware of the incident and were expected to comment on Broyles’ status later today.

Broyles was an all-state selection at Norman High School last season. He had 44 receptions of 908 yards and rushed for 345. He also scored 20 touchdowns.

Broyles was listed as the second-team wide receiver on OU’s depth chart for Saturday’s season opener against North Texas.

Sooner coaches have praised him since preseason practices began.

“He’s one of those guys, I don’t know how to say it, he’s like a gamer,” OU coach Bob Stoops said. “When he’s in practices and scrimmages he just shows up. He knows how to find the open space, catches the ball well. He just has a knack for getting himself in the right positions, finding the right hole to get the ball. He just has a good feel on the field.”

Broyles was the centerpiece of recruiting saga involving OU and Oklahoma State last winter. He orally committed to play at Oklahoma State in the fall. But he changed his mind in the week leading up to signing day.

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 09:46 AM
Man, caught with the key and the code book for gas.

Stoops may kick him off the team for that.

sooneron
8/31/2007, 09:47 AM
I do not like the way this one sounds.

cantwait48
see ya, enjoy junior college

SoonerAcesUp
http://www.normantranscript.com/homepage/local_story_243102415.html?keyword=leadpicturestor y

Why, oh why!!!!??? Why do kids got to be so stupid? Come on Ryan, get your head on straight.

SteelClip49
8/31/2007, 09:48 AM
THIS IS ACCEPTED FROM THE WRONGHORNS BUT NOT AT OU. BOOT HIS HIND OFF THE TEAM.

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 09:48 AM
I do not like the way this one sounds.

Exactly what I thought first.

Widescreen
8/31/2007, 09:49 AM
Assuming this is all true, I'm sure he's gone.

soonerinabilene
8/31/2007, 09:52 AM
He was released at 3:44 a.m. after posting $200 cash bond, according to a sheriff’s captain.

so he had 200 bucks in cash on him, but had to steal gas? Dumb. A$$.

sooner518
8/31/2007, 09:53 AM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/n/U/moran.jpg

idiot

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 09:53 AM
so he had 200 bucks in cash on him, but had to steal gas? Dumb. A$$.

I'm sure that someone else paid for it.

SoonerRecon
8/31/2007, 09:54 AM
zero tolerance. send him to stoolwater and he can be a roomate w/ the rapist.

jk the sooner fan
8/31/2007, 09:57 AM
buh bye, thanks for participating....

The_Red_Patriot
8/31/2007, 10:00 AM
Smell ya later.

Thanks for the tryout.

badger
8/31/2007, 10:02 AM
Broyles will probably get a few-game suspension.

However, I can picture many college kids doing this if they can get away with it--- even if they could afford the gas. I'm thinking back to seeing people steal soda from the union and such. Gas is an expensive commodity, after all.

I'm not justifying what he did, but it's kind of like underage drinking--- if college kids think they can get away with it, despite it being against the law, they'll try to do it, thinking they won't get caught.

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 10:03 AM
My guess is suspension indefinitely, until the investigation is completed. If they find he did it more than once, he's gone.

I think he should be gone regardless.

birddog
8/31/2007, 10:06 AM
he needs to find somewhere else to play. he waffled on his decision to come here and now he thinks he should steal shortly after the ncaa came after us.

good work, dude. head on up to t. boone state.

schlanker
8/31/2007, 10:09 AM
I hope it doesnt turn out that Mr shortstop is giving players free gas. We do not need any more booster issues.

Pigface1
8/31/2007, 10:10 AM
Stoops may kick him off the team for that.

Good, he should. When will these f'n idiots learn.

birddog
8/31/2007, 10:10 AM
I hope it doesnt turn out that Mr shortstop is giving players free gas. We do not need any more booster issues.

oh crap, please don't say that.

sooneron
8/31/2007, 10:18 AM
oh crap, please don't say that.
First thing that popped into my head.:(

Where did he get the keys/code from?

SoonerRecon
8/31/2007, 10:22 AM
i'm guessing the long drive home to his parents house was the reason for this. oh wait, he's a Norman kid. Stoops doesn't need to lose sleep over this kid for the next 4 years, cut him loose.

Octavian
8/31/2007, 10:23 AM
....but it's kind of like underage drinking--- if college kids think they can get away with it, despite it being against the law, they'll try to do it, thinking they won't get caught.

no it's not.

here's a guy who was out stealing gasoline in the wee hours of the morning a couple nights before his first college football game.

He's a freshman. He's on scholarship. He should --especially after his shady recruiting process --be working harder than anyone else to make the field. He's not. He's out stealing things.

Kick his *** off before we regret it later. We don't need anymore idiot loose cannons in the program.

Newbomb Turk
8/31/2007, 10:24 AM

IF this is the case, Ryan is:

1 - really stupid to accept such a thing.
2 - more stupid to use it when the place is closed.

badger
8/31/2007, 10:26 AM
here's a guy who was out stealing gasoline in the wee hours of the morning a couple nights before his first college football game.

a wrongdoing he knew he could get away with. that's where the comparison ends.

why he thought he could get away with it, that's the real question.

fwsooner22
8/31/2007, 10:28 AM
See Ya Ryan.........we hardly knew Ya.......but we know enough now!!!!

A kid from Norman no less! Wow.......

My bet is an old old high school bud works at the Short Stop......

OklaPony
8/31/2007, 10:31 AM
I don't care how you slice it, it's theft. Not only is it wrong, it's illegal and, if all this is actually true, he should be booted off the team immediately.

CatfishSooner
8/31/2007, 10:32 AM
What a dumb ***

Boomer.....
8/31/2007, 10:36 AM
I don't know what these players are thinking!! Arghhhhhh!

Theskipster
8/31/2007, 10:37 AM
I don't care how you slice it, it's theft. Not only is it wrong, it's illegal and, if all this is actually true, he should be booted off the team immediately.

I can't believe that I am hoping and hoping that one of OU's players gets arrested for theft.

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 10:38 AM
:confused:

The Maestro
8/31/2007, 10:39 AM
We've been through enough and this should follow the Ahmed Kabba rule.

Zero tolerance for guys that make these kind of decisions. You can call it a mistake or one bad action. No, it is completely selfish and shows this guy is not a "team first" guy. If Stoops finds out this story is incorrect and the story is not straight, fine...explain the real story and decide what to do. If it is remotely true tell him he can run routes in Huntsville, Texas, and if he makes that same mistake again he can take up permanent residence in Huntsville in the Gray Bar Hotel.

Theskipster
8/31/2007, 10:40 AM
:confused:

I assume it would be very difficult to arrest someone for theft if the owner gave it to him.

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 10:41 AM
ah, got ya.

Widescreen
8/31/2007, 10:46 AM
This isn't just like underage drinking. At all. When someone does things that are illegal just because they think they can get away with it, it's called a criminal act. He needs to take he show elsewhere (if this turns out to be true).

SoonerBOI
8/31/2007, 10:51 AM
:O :mad:

Pigface1
*IF* the owner gave it to him, then Broyles needs to be off the team permanantly. Then the owner needs to be dragged across a gravel parking lot 30 or 40 times. F'n azzholes.:mad:

Theskipster
It is being reported that there was an underage person in the car with Broyles who was arrested for violating curfew.

yermom
8/31/2007, 10:53 AM
this really sucks

Flagstaffsooner
8/31/2007, 10:57 AM
At least the Fulmer Cup competition is closed.:O

Landthief 1972
8/31/2007, 11:00 AM
KICK HIM OFF THE TEAM - NO IF, ANDS, OR BUTS.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

okcusooner
8/31/2007, 11:05 AM
This is astounding to me.

It's amazing how some people are wired. To knowingly and volitionally risk a five year scholarship for a tank of gas.

WOW. The recklessness and stupidity is mind-boggling.

If I asked Broyles to bet $100 against my $5 on the toss of a coin, he would surely decline the bet. Yet, he risks something equally as foolish.

It's beyond my understanding.

william_brasky
8/31/2007, 11:05 AM
what a shame. he was getting rave reviews too.

bomar'd again.

swardboy
8/31/2007, 11:07 AM
Well, at least it proves we're not paying our players.:O

StanberryWasIn
8/31/2007, 11:08 AM
What a dumbass. If I was going to steal the codebook for anything at Mr. Shortstop, it would be "Lucky Duck".

yermom
8/31/2007, 11:25 AM
Well, at least it proves we're not paying our players.:O

actually, it doesn't. that's the problem.

boomersooner28
8/31/2007, 11:27 AM
DOH!!!

Has the "Bonehead of the Year" Award been given out this year or is it too early?

I have a nominee.

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 11:28 AM

Technically, that's not paying them. ;)

yermom
8/31/2007, 11:30 AM
gas is probably more valuable than dollars :O

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 11:31 AM
crap

;)

setem
8/31/2007, 11:34 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

What an idiot!

TMcGee86
8/31/2007, 11:38 AM

exactly.

This is bad.

Very, very very bad.

I just can't fathom that he somehow came up with this scam on his own.

I am now praying that he has friends that work at the gas station and they told him how to do it.

Otherwise, we are up **** creek if this goes any deeper.

PLEASE GOD could we have ONE freaking year where the week before the opener we don't discover a huge booster scandal?

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 11:43 AM
Can you imagine how livid Bob is right now?

boomersooner28
8/31/2007, 11:46 AM
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/8/24212463163.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6467240)

setem
8/31/2007, 11:48 AM
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/8/24212463163.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6467240)

You have to admit this is one of the dumbest things anyone has ever heard!

He is big time d-1 why screw it up?

mynameisjoe
8/31/2007, 11:49 AM
Let them investigate what exactly transpired. If it is what it looks like it is, boot his behind off the team. We don't need guys like that.

And yeah, I'm praying that this is not any deeper.

SOONER STEAKER
8/31/2007, 11:50 AM
Gene Autry is warming up, "HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU"

1stTimeCaller
8/31/2007, 11:54 AM
If any of you know the owner of Mr. Shortstop you would know that he's not giving anyone free gasoline.

soonerloyal
8/31/2007, 11:56 AM
What a dumbass. If I was going to steal the codebook for anything at Mr. Shortstop, it would be "Lucky Duck".

Darlin', thanks for giving me a much-needed belly laugh amid my "GAWD-LET-ME-AT-HIM-I'M-GONNA-BLISTER-HIS-AZZ-,THE-MORON!!!" crying temper tantrum.

I can't see how this is anything different that how it looks. Kick him off the team and give his scholarship & golden opportunity to someone who truly deserves it, Coach Stoops.

SHAME ON HIM.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad::mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

sooneron
I was thinking it was one of two scenarios-

Dirty booster giving gas to players-
or
He has a buddy that is manager or assistant and is trading tickets and shwag for gas.

I pray for the latter.

MI Sooner
I am now praying that he has friends that work at the gas station and they told him how to do it.

Otherwise, we are up **** creek if this goes any deeper.

The fact that he's from Norman makes this more likely to be a crime than if it was a player from out-of-state. Broyles undoubtedly has more acquaintences around town than the other players.

I sure hope he is kicked off the team. What a piece of ****. IMHO, theft makes him a bigger turd than taking improper benefits, but either way, his consequences have a negative impact on others.

MojoRisen
8/31/2007, 12:09 PM

However, I can picture many college kids doing this if they can get away with it--- even if they could afford the gas. I'm thinking back to seeing people steal soda from the union and such. Gas is an expensive commodity, after all.

I'm not justifying what he did, but it's kind of like underage drinking--- if college kids think they can get away with it, despite it being against the law, they'll try to do it, thinking they won't get caught.

Yeah- I am not real high on kicking him off the team for trying to get some free gas- not good - but kicking him off the team for that would be a bit harsh. Should be his one pass - only pass.

I knew a player for Tulsa who shot the Delivery Pizza guy 25 times with a beebe gun.

Monster Zero
8/31/2007, 12:10 PM
<Al Eschbach voice>

He's like Napoleon, he's HISTORY!

badger
8/31/2007, 12:10 PM
didn't we just lose the guy that used to play but wanted to leave because broyles looked to be getting his playing time?

is it too late to ask him to stay?

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 12:15 PM
That was never confirmed as his reason for leaving...

zeke
8/31/2007, 12:17 PM
If he is able to stay and is a stupid as he seems to be he will make us regret his being a Sooner.

Let him go.

boomersooner28
8/31/2007, 12:19 PM
I trust in Bob. Whatever decision coach makes is good with me.

Boarder
8/31/2007, 12:24 PM
I knew a player for Tulsa who shot the Delivery Pizza guy 25 times with a beebe gun.

:les: I SAID NO MUSHROOMS! NO MUSHROOMS! :mad:

soonerboy_odanorth
8/31/2007, 12:31 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking... we've got another f'in bumpkin booster out there....

I really really hope that is not the case... I am so tired of this crap.

badger
8/31/2007, 12:32 PM
:les: I SAID NO MUSHROOMS! NO MUSHROOMS! :mad:
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/1105/mushdn2.jpg
:D

soonermarkus
8/31/2007, 12:38 PM
I'm at a loss here...I truly don't get it. Playing college football anywhere...but especially at OU is such a gift and you potentially blow it for some free gas!!?? Truly pathetic. If Stoops keeps him, he better keep a good eye on him....Dang!!!

william_brasky
8/31/2007, 12:40 PM
Another reason for alternative fuel sources. :texan:

OKLA21FAN
8/31/2007, 12:43 PM
so much for this 'idea'

The Sooner Oath
As Sooner Student-Athletes, we pledge to:
• Pursue excellence in the classroom and in competition;
• Hold ourselves to the highest standards of sportsmanship;
• Demonstrate strong character and accountability for our conduct;
• Take pride in our University;
• Honor and uphold the traditions of what it means to be a Sooner;
• Appreciate the privilege of wearing Crimson and Cream;
• Embrace the unique perspectives we each bring to the University;
• Support our fellow student-athletes in their pursuit of excellence;
• Be positive role models for our community;
• Lead with integrity in all of our actions.

We represent the one and only University of Oklahoma.
I am a Sooner!

usmc-sooner
8/31/2007, 12:43 PM
if they do this stupid crap now, especially now, knowing our situation with the NCAA, send his *** packing. He's hasn't even made it to the first game of college and in the shadow of BRSI I say cut him now.

UberSooner
8/31/2007, 12:45 PM
Ok, i think i know what happened. He had been up late at the hospital doing curtesy visits when he drives by the shortstop and notices someone inadvertently left the key card in a pump. He is about to retrieve it and call his friend who works there to report the unusual incident when up pulls Stedanko who leaps, understandibly, to the wrong conclusion. The codes . . . the codes were . . . uh. Work with me people.

Seamus
8/31/2007, 12:50 PM
"Well, I'm sure we can find someone who can catch 8 free gallons of gas ..."

Eh, I got nothin' ...

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 12:53 PM
The one going around is

I'm sure we can find someone to catch zero passes

Mjcpr
8/31/2007, 12:55 PM
We should've known something was wrong with him when he didn't go to Arkansas and play for this great, great grandfather.

jrsooner
8/31/2007, 12:56 PM
Stoops may kick him off the team for that.May???? Stoops should kick him off the team so fast, that the kid won't know what hit him.

Seamus
8/31/2007, 01:02 PM
We should've known something was wrong with him when he didn't go to Arkansas and play for this great, great grandfather.

What, was Frank Broyles hangin' with Thomas Jefferson or something?

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 01:05 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/090107dnspoouarrest.12b98d6.html

From the Dallas morning news article:

NORMAN, Okla. – Police arrested a University of Oklahoma freshman football player early Friday on an accusation that he tried to steal gasoline from a convenience store pump.

Ryan Broyles, 19, was booked into the Cleveland County Detention Center at 12:10 a.m. on attempted larceny accusations and was released at 3:44 a.m. after posting $200 cash bond.

A police officer saw him at a closed gasoline station. He had a key and codes with which the pump could be activated, police Capt. Leonard Judy said. The key was in the pump.

The officer contacted the owner of the business and confirmed that Broyles did not work there and never has.

Broyles was an all-state selection at Norman High School last season. He had 44 receptions of 908 yards and rushed for 345. He also scored 20 touchdowns. Broyles was listed as the second-team wide receiver on OU's depth chart for Saturday's season opener against North Texas.

Oklahoma athletic department spokesman Kenny Mossman said Broyles has been suspended from the team indefinitely.

Broyles orally committed to play at Oklahoma State in the fall but changed his mind in the week leading up to signing day.

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 01:06 PM
That was obvious cause you can't have him play in any games if he might be ruled ineligible later.

MojoRisen
8/31/2007, 01:08 PM
30 bucks of gas- he is a kid and deserves another chance- if it doesn't call for kicking him out of school- then don't.

Sorry but that is rediculous - to harsh. If he had an izzue and a bag of weed then yeah.

jrsooner
Oklahoma athletic department spokesman Kenny Mossman said Broyles has been suspended from the team indefinitely.That's our Stoops!!!! Makes me proud to be a Sooner!

Flagstaffsooner
The whorns are having a field day.

a-holes who live in glass houses... (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5171233&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)

tanjou
Hurray. Now let's hear that some jackoff clerk slipped him the info for an autograph or something.

Flagstaffsooner
8/31/2007, 01:13 PM
30 bucks of gas- he is a kid and deserves another chance- if it doesn't call for kicking him out of school- then don't.

Sorry but that is rediculous - to harsh. If he had an izzue and a bag of weed then yeah.Nope. It's time for no slack.... at all schools and the NFL as well as all other sports. The bad behavior of athletes has got to stop.

badger
8/31/2007, 01:13 PM

a-holes who live in glass houses... (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5171233&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)
http://www.universitycoop.com/webitemimages/108/10101005.jpg
:eek: is that vince young squeezing ol' army?!?! :eek:

note: pic from thread on link

DalHorn
8/31/2007, 01:17 PM
glass houses? We aren't on NCAA probation for free stuff.

soonerloyal
8/31/2007, 01:18 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/usmcholmans/Posting%20Joke%20Photos/whocares2.jpg

Thanks, but the day I give a whorn's arse about what Texass fans think is the day I become a whorn. Neither will ever happen.

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 01:19 PM

Yeah, you guys haven't had anybody arrested recently...

Flagstaffsooner
8/31/2007, 01:20 PM
glass houses? We aren't on NCAA probation for free stuff.No, but your boys sure fill up the jails.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/31/2007, 01:21 PM

why, its wyandotte horn, long time no see...

Seamus
8/31/2007, 01:28 PM
why, its wyandotte horn, long time no see...

heh, nice wuss cat reference http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

sooner94
8/31/2007, 01:33 PM
Wish he would have gone to OSU. What an idiot, maybe he can join Bomary at Sam Houston.

SoonerMom2
8/31/2007, 01:38 PM
If any of you know the owner of Mr. Shortstop you would know that he's not giving anyone free gasoline.

Was just going to say the same thing and my son who I was talking to on the phone agrees 100%. No way the owner would be giving away free gasoline to anyone.

yermom
8/31/2007, 01:42 PM

Sorry but that is rediculous - to harsh. If he had an izzue and a bag of weed then yeah.

maybe if he drove off without paying, but this looks like it could be much worse

at least he hasn't played at all, we have that going for us

okienole3
8/31/2007, 01:42 PM
http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=96404

Interesting read. Seems like this is happening in other places.

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2007, 01:46 PM
wow. If that's the way it is, sounds like he may have purchased a "hot to" kit on bypassing the pumps.

While Tippit says he and his employees have keys to the gas pumps, they don't have codes to the interior keypads. He says the only people with those codes are employees of companies that service gas stations.

GrapevineSooner
8/31/2007, 01:46 PM
Was just going to say the same thing and my son who I was talking to on the phone agrees 100%. No way the owner would be giving away free gasoline to anyone.

Gas station owners make so little profit from the sale of gasoline that it would be economical stupidity if an owner made it a regular habit of giving away gas to somebody.

Taxman71
8/31/2007, 01:48 PM
Ordinarily, this would warrant a suspension, but based on the probation and the embarrassment over Bomar's situation, I could see Broyles getting booted permanently. That sounds harsh, but these kids have likely been lectured about representing the team, school, etc. and this was no accident or momentary lapse. This was straight-up theft.

TexasLidig8r
8/31/2007, 01:54 PM
pfft....

At least our criminals commit armed robberies and such instead of doing wienie crimes like stealing gasoline. :rolleyes:

;)

Grimey
8/31/2007, 01:58 PM
didn't we just lose the guy that used to play but wanted to leave because broyles looked to be getting his playing time?

is it too late to ask him to stay?

I missed this. Who?

yermom
8/31/2007, 02:08 PM
that was a theory on why Fred Strong might be leaving

OKLA21FAN
8/31/2007, 02:12 PM
pfft....

At least our criminals commit armed robberies and such instead of doing wienie crimes like stealing gasoline. :rolleyes:

;)
you have got it all wrong

this is the next logical step, after 'free cars', and 'getting paid for not working at a dealership'

someone has to find a way to get gas in the free cars and such.

:pop:

Sooner24
8/31/2007, 02:25 PM
Since he's a freshman he lives in The Bud. What time is curfew at The Bud?

joeTsooner
8/31/2007, 02:27 PM
First thing that popped into my head.:(

Where did he get the keys/code from?

I spoke to Ron Henderson, owner of that Mr Shortstop, this afternoon. He informed me that he doesn't even posses that type of key/code for the pumps. Ryan will be prosocuted to the fullest extent of the law. The owner of Mr Shortstop has had no incorrect dealings with OU Sooner players. He was pumping the gas after the store was closed. Don't think this has anything to do with the convienent store. I would worry that more players are doing this than just Ryan.

jrsooner
8/31/2007, 02:27 PM
pfft....
At least our criminals commit armed robberies and such instead of doing wienie crimes like stealing gasoline. :rolleyes: ;)Yep... they just torment little kids at gunpoint. :) The difference is... longhorns would stop and rob the place where they could be seen with the gun while flashing the horns at the camera, while we at least think of a way to bypass a secured system then get in and out with no one else the wiser. That's the difference between a thug and a true theif. ;)

Petro-Sooner
8/31/2007, 02:28 PM
Since he's a freshman he lives in The Bud. What time is curfew at The Bud?

I've heard they had a 10:00 curfew.

MiccoMacey
8/31/2007, 02:32 PM
I spoke to Ron Henderson, owner of that Mr Shortstop, this afternoon. He informed me that he doesn't even posses that type of key/code for the pumps. Ryan will be prosocuted to the fullest extent of the law. The owner of Mr Shortstop has had no incorrect dealings with OU Sooner players. He was pumping the gas after the store was closed. Don't think this has anything to do with the convienent store. I would worry that more players are doing this than just Ryan.

Not trying to call you out or anything, but...

Does Ron Henderson live in Washington D.C. as well, or are you guys buddies?

Or does he just randomly answer phone calls to people after a robbery of his store?

No offense (seriously), but just curious as to how you know Mr. Henderson.

MiccoMacey
8/31/2007, 02:33 PM
pfft....

;)

In this instance, and this instance alone, we are your little brother. :D

Doged
8/31/2007, 02:35 PM
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you guys who are calling for leniency for this kid. As was said above, I have little doubt Mr. Broyles was read the riot act along with all the other players on keeping their actions clean and above board. This was a concious decision on his part to steal and he should never darken the doors of an OU athletic facility again. I hate it for him.. but he made the decision. If it's all true I hope Coach Stoops boots him permanently.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/31/2007, 02:36 PM
I spoke to Ron Henderson, owner of that Mr Shortstop, this afternoon. He informed me that he doesn't even posses that type of key/code for the pumps. Ryan will be prosocuted to the fullest extent of the law. The owner of Mr Shortstop has had no incorrect dealings with OU Sooner players. He was pumping the gas after the store was closed. Don't think this has anything to do with the convienent store.

That's how touchy it's gotten then... This actually, in a twisted way, is good news.

I would worry that more players are doing this than just Ryan.

And this suspicion not so much... but certainly a legitimate concern...

Some of these guys just need to be grabbed by the scruff of the neck and just shaken... violently...

joeTsooner
8/31/2007, 02:37 PM
I worked at Shortstop through college. I just graduated last year and moved to dc for work.

And Ron Henderson is my buddy! :)

Taxman71
8/31/2007, 02:40 PM
Why didn't Broyles have a high school buddy do this for him? Was he that brazen or stupid? When we partied at OU, football and basketball players never physically bought the booze, drove home from the bar, etc.

joeTsooner
8/31/2007, 02:40 PM
Not trying to call you out or anything, but...

Does Ron Henderson live in Washington D.C. as well, or are you guys buddies?

Or does he just randomly answer phone calls to people after a robbery of his store?

No offense (seriously), but just curious as to how you know Mr. Henderson.

And no offense taken.

I am just new to the board and excited that I could add something that I had some insight on to the conversation.

oumartin
8/31/2007, 02:42 PM
Sheesh. If you are gonna break an NCAA rule make it huge. get involved with a shady sports agent. have him put your parents up in huge house rent free.

Stop stealing gas and workin' for free.

Taxman71
8/31/2007, 02:50 PM
This deal reminds me of Free Shoes University....what punishment did Peter Warrick get? (other than getting drafted by the Bungals).

Grimey
8/31/2007, 02:55 PM
that was a theory on why Fred Strong might be leaving

I musta been busy when this went down. Is he already gone? He was on his way to awesomeness

yermom
8/31/2007, 03:04 PM
I musta been busy when this went down. Is he already gone? He was on his way to awesomeness

http://tulsaworld.com/sports/college/article.aspx?articleID=070831_2_B10_bFran07533

Doged
8/31/2007, 03:05 PM
We're doomed. The sheephumpers over at orangeflower.com have already decided the issue and levied the NCAA's "death penalty" against the Sooners (for about the 3rd time this week, of course).

aggies are sad little creatures.

boomersooner28
8/31/2007, 03:13 PM
I don't see how you people can visit the enemies message boards to see what they are saying. Who gives a rats *** what they think. I can't stand to even see their stupid school colors let alone read the ignoramous statements the fools make. :confused:

RacerX
8/31/2007, 03:18 PM
I don't see how you people can visit the enemies message boards to see what they are saying. Who gives a rats *** what they think. I can't stand to even see their stupid school colors let alone read the ignoramous statements the fools make. :confused:

POST OF THE YEAR!

Theskipster
8/31/2007, 03:18 PM
I went after reading Doged's post because sometimes it is funny to see a group pee themselves over negative stories about OU.

I saw 1 post about the death penalty.

wishbonesooner
8/31/2007, 03:27 PM
I don't know the particulars on this store, but a lot of companies have these keys and codes for their employees to fuel fleet vehicles. It identifies which employee charged the gas, and it helps them track costs. They don't have to carry credit cards or wait in line to pay, etc. I hope this isn't another booster issue. It sure sounds like it could be. Please make it stop!

utex74
8/31/2007, 03:45 PM
THIS IS ACCEPTED FROM THE WRONGHORNS BUT NOT AT OU. BOOT HIS HIND OFF THE TEAM.

We do not "accept" this either.

utex74
8/31/2007, 03:47 PM

It's not underage drinking. It is theft. Probably felony theft.

jk the sooner fan
8/31/2007, 03:51 PM
i'm surprised that some here thought hornfans.com would be saying anything different

what the heck do you folks expect them to say?

jeebus get a grip some of you......

jk the sooner fan
8/31/2007, 03:53 PM
theft is a crime of moral turpitude, underage drinking is not

Scott D
8/31/2007, 03:55 PM
theft is a crime of moral turpitude, underage drinking is not

it's only theft when you're caught ;)

FaninAma
8/31/2007, 04:16 PM

Not only no, but hell no! The kids is history unless there is some innocent explanation....which would seem very unlikely.

I can guarantee you that all the players, including incoming freshmen, received hours upon hours of inservices regarding NCAA rules and appropriate conduct. The fact that apparently all of this effort went in one ear and out the other with this kid should tell you something about what kind of loose cannon he would be the rest of his career.

47straight
8/31/2007, 04:19 PM
We do not "accept" this either.

Yes you do. Suspending your players for your sun-belt schedule doesn't count.

And Mojo, I agree, the kid deserves another chance, but I think it should be at another university.

goingoneight
8/31/2007, 04:28 PM
Gas station owners make so little profit from the sale of gasoline that it would be economical stupidity if an owner made it a regular habit of giving away gas to somebody.

I plead ignorance to the QuikTrips and Shell stations of this world, but my best friend's family makes MAD bank off of their gas station, car wash and nasty pizza place.

As far as Broyles is concerned, the good thing is that he hasn't played any games yet. If Stoops plays tough love and boots him like he always does... it's in no way shape or form the same situation as Troy Smith, Bomar, or Reggie Bush's cases are. Nothing will be forefeited, and the kid will just have a reputation as a criminal. Interesting thing will be how it all plays out. I think if Texas players can get in toruble for armed robbery (theft) and stay on the team, Broyles *could*, too. However, I know Stoops at this point and it doesn't look good for Broyles as far as being a Sooner is concerned.

Get your head on straight, Broyles. Is it the initials RB or something? Sheesh... :(

jk the sooner fan
8/31/2007, 04:31 PM
gas station owners make about 1 cent a gallon on gas.

goingoneight
8/31/2007, 04:32 PM
To add... who here really thinks Boone will take kindly to someone who was stealing gas (for those who really think he'll go to OSU)?

meoveryouxinfinity
8/31/2007, 04:33 PM
I thought we all went to school on horse and buggy. :confused:

Widescreen
8/31/2007, 04:34 PM
gas station owners make about 1 cent a gallon on gas.
Like he said. MAD bank!

Of course gas is just a loss leader to get people inside the store. Frankly I'm surprised that they ever went to the pay-at-the-pump model. That had to have hurt their revenue.

TexasSooner01
8/31/2007, 04:34 PM

OMG!!! I could not have said it better. Besides the color orange hurts my eyes!

Jason White's Third Knee
8/31/2007, 04:37 PM
I guess he can go play for Okie Lite after all.

aurorasooner
8/31/2007, 04:44 PM
How in the hell can you own a service station/convenience store like this and not have the keys to the pumps? For crying out loud, I'd be throwing the pump circuit breakers inside and locking the breaker box when the store closed. This investigation is going to get nasty.
OU player arrested; Stoops issues statement; Store owner says "conspiracy theories" false
Kevin Ellis/Associated Press
OU wide receiver Ryan Broyles was arrested on an attempted larceny complaint.

By Guerin Emig, World Sports Writer
8/31/2007 10:59 AM
Last Modified: 8/31/2007 4:19 PM

NORMAN --Freshman wide receiver Ryan Broyles has been suspended from the Oklahoma football team after his arrest early Friday on suspicion of trying to steal gasoline from a Norman convenience store pump.

“Effective immediately, Ryan is suspended from the team for an indefinite period of time," OU coach Bob Stoops said in a statement released Friday afternoon. "I take very seriously the conduct of our players and I will not compromise my expectations for anyone associated with our program."

Stoops has reason to take the matter seriously. His program is coming off a year-long ordeal involving three players being paid by a booster for hours they did not do at a Norman car dealership. Two of the players, Rhett Bomar and J.D. Quinn, were dismissed right before camp opened for the 2006 season.

The NCAA and OU conducted a joint investigation. The NCAA infractions committee found OU guilty of failure to monitor last July. The committee extended OU's probation -- the university had been penalized for violations committed in its menµs basketball program the previous year ' through May 23, 2010.

Of the Broyles matter, whether it was isolated in nature or other players were involved, OU assistant athletic director Kenny Mossman
said: "We'll look into it thoroughly."

According to Norman police Capt. Leonard Judy, a patrol officer observed the 19- year-old Broyles standing between an SUV and a pump at a closed Mr. Shortstop convenience store in east Norman at 12:10 a.m. Friday.

The officer, Judy said, discovered a key stuck in a lock on the front panel of the pump, and determined it belonged to Broyles. Broyles was also in possession of override codes which he used to activate the pump after gaining access with the key.

Judy said Broyles was arrested on attempted larceny charges and booked into the Cleveland County Detention Center. A Cleveland County Sheriffµs Department spokesperson confirmed Broyles posted $200 bond and was released at 3:44 a.m. Friday.

Ron Henderson, owner of the Mr. Shortstop where Broyles was arrested, distanced himself from the university when contacted Friday.

"I've heard all these conspiracy theories that I'm a donor or supporter of the program. Nothing could be further from the truth," he said. "Other than I'm a general fan like everybody in Norman might be. I've never met Ryan Broyles, and don't know anything about him other than what I've read about his as a player.

"I've never had a key to those pumps and I've been here 36 years. I'm totally amazed to find out something like this could happen. My real concern is who might have those keys or codes and how long this has been happening. We've had problems balancing our inventory and some irregularities the last two or three months. We thought the problems were leakage in the lines or tanks. We never dreamed it might be something like this."

Henderson, who was Norman's mayor from 2001-04 and who owns three Mr. Shortstop stores in the city, said he contacted OU athletic director Joe Castiglione Friday morning.

"I wanted to make him aware of the situation," he said. "Other than that, it's pretty much in the hands of the police. My thing is to cooperate with the authorities through the investigation process, to find out how widespread this is and if others have keys."

Broyles had worked himself into potential playing time in the Sooners' season opener Saturday against North Texas. The true freshman caught three passes for 32 yards in OUµs two preseason scrimmages, and drew praise from both Stoops and OU wide receivers coach Kevin Sumlin.

Broyles was listed behind starting slot receiver Manuel Johnson on the Sooners' depth chart for North Texas.

"He's been able to make some route adjustments that young guys don't do all the time," Sumlin said after practice last Monday. "We're pleased with where he is. He's just got to keep getting better, stay focused."

Broyles signed with OU out of Norman High School last February, after originally committing to Oklahoma State. He scored 20 touchdowns rushing, receiving and kick returning for Norman last year, and intercepted 20 passes as a defensive back over his prep career.

Broyles is the second player Stoops has suspended for Saturday's 6 p.m. season opener against North Texas. Stoops announced after practice last Monday night that sophomore tailback Chris Brown had been suspended for undisclosed reasons.http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=070831_2__NORMA38848

thatmediadude
8/31/2007, 04:50 PM
Wonder how long Stoops will keep him out for? I'm betting the season..starting fresh in 08. What do you guys think?

soonerloyal
8/31/2007, 04:55 PM
You don't seriously mean that you think Stoops minds this behavior? Are you on drugs?

Jason White's Third Knee
I would boot his *** for good. Enough is enough.

I hate thieves, Sooner or not.

TheUnnamedSooner
Well, if you are just the equity owner and not an active owner then he probably doesn't even have keys to the front door.

TexasSooner01
8/31/2007, 04:56 PM
Buh Bye...I dont want him back. He will not be missed.

soonerloyal
8/31/2007, 04:57 PM
It's a simple concept: If it's not yours, don't take it.

Duh.

Beef
8/31/2007, 05:14 PM

And Mojo, I agree, the kid deserves another chance, but I think it should be at another university.
Ummm....since the only game he has definitely been suspended for is the North Texas game, and North Texas is in the Sun Belt Conference, we have only suspended him for our "sun-belt" schedule so far.

I have no doubt the suspension will be longer, but for now, it's UNT.

SeattleOUstudent
8/31/2007, 05:29 PM
He might be suspended 2-3 games, assuming this was a one time thing. Evidence would have be really strong to the contrary. With anything short of a confession or video camera taping, it would be hard to throw any other charges at him.

Its a misdemeanor. Simple. So is fighting.

Punish his *** thru the team and bench him for a few games. He will learn.

leavingthezoo
8/31/2007, 05:52 PM

some of you guys act like these are 7 and 8 year olds who can't comprehend simple instructions.

all i know is if i rewarded someone (scholarship to OU), implicitly explained to them the rules (both compliance department and coaches -- and let's not forget the under appreciated affliction of common sense) and they opted to violate them (mmmmm... free gas), i would not be slapping their wrists. add the fact its a criminal situation (mmmm, not free gas. stolen gas! YAY!), i'd being showing them the door. period.

if you really feel it's not that big of a deal, i'm lookin' to borrow your bank card and pin number. TIA. you can admonish me later after i've stolen from you, and hopefully i'll learn my lesson. ;)

fossil
8/31/2007, 05:52 PM
DANGUMMIT! After all the grief given to Whornfans on this board, and my personal comments to them where I work (you can't swing a dead cat without hitting on in the head) now we have one of our go and do something stoopid.

LoyalFan
8/31/2007, 06:16 PM
Gene Autry is warming up, "HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU"

Right song. Wrong singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwN17nWxhqs

LF

Jeopardude
8/31/2007, 06:23 PM
DANGUMMIT!

Worst. Hillbilly expression. Ever.

:D

goingoneight
8/31/2007, 06:30 PM
How in the hell can you own a service station/convenience store like this and not have the keys to the pumps? For crying out loud, I'd be throwing the pump circuit breakers inside and locking the breaker box when the store closed. This investigation is going to get nasty. http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?articleID=070831_2__NORMA38848

The gas station manager's comments are comforting to have read with my own eyes. And though Ryan is a Norman native, he's only been at OU for what... a month? This is a gas station on campus, right? I live in Tulsa, but that doesn't mean I drive ten miles to Tulsa University's campus to buy gasoline from Phillips 66 or whatever on 11th street. And gas station owners don't have the keys to the pumps. They can shut them off from inside... but the keys to the machines are just like ATMs, there is a serviceman who keeps that stuff. It's kind of like buying one of those computers you can hook a car's PCM up to. You can control a car with it and mess some **** up pretty seriously if you do or don't know what you're doing.

I can only imagine the crazy spin the Stoolwaterians are putting on this one, though.

Gas Station Manager: "I'm not a booster, just a fan like anyone else in Norman."

=

:stunned: "bullcarp u cant liv in norman and not be a uo booster broils went to uo for free gas stupid cheeting goonerz ahhhhh!!!111!1

SeattleOUstudent
8/31/2007, 06:51 PM
some of you guys act like these are 7 and 8 year olds who can't comprehend simple instructions.

all i know is if i rewarded someone (scholarship to OU), implicitly explained to them the rules (both compliance department and coaches -- and let's not forget the under appreciated affliction of common sense) and they opted to violate them (mmmmm... free gas), i would not be slapping their wrists. add the fact its a criminal situation (mmmm, not free gas. stolen gas! YAY!), i'd being showing them the door. period.

if you really feel it's not that big of a deal, i'm lookin' to borrow your bank card and pin number. TIA. you can admonish me later after i've stolen from you, and hopefully i'll learn my lesson. ;)

Same argument could be made for being caught with alchyhol or underage drinking or fighting....all misdemeanors. The kid is 18. I made some dumb *** decisions when I was @ OU too. Again, this is all based on the info that is available at this time. If it turns out that the dude has been doing for long periods of time, then yeah kick his *** off. Its an isolated first time thing, keep it in perspective and suspend his *** for a while. Thas all...dont hate :)

Jeopardude
8/31/2007, 06:52 PM
...This is a gas station on campus, right?

No, the gas station's a few miles from campus.

So only the pump servicers (heh heh) have the keys and codes? Ladies and gentlemen, I have a feeling that when the person from the servicing company gets named and caught, he might offer up a couple other names from the OU program (or maybe other programs). If so, let's hope the names are "Bomar" and "Quinn."

Doged
8/31/2007, 06:52 PM

Just to relieve your obvious curiosity, any time a story is breaking involving the Sooners I spend as much time as I can get away with (sometimes a lot, sometimes none) using search engines to educate myself. Many of the hits off the internet searches come off other school's message boards, so I glance through to see if there's anything of substance (in this case there wasn't on that particular board, but sometimes there is). The wording of my post was the result of my disdain for the 'Poke fan base in general.

KantoSooner
8/31/2007, 06:53 PM
Two step program:
1. Confirm that he either did or did not intend and attempt to steal (and I don't care if this was the first time).
2. If he didn't, suspend him for some time for general 'being in the wrong place'. If he did: frog march him to the state border and kick him across.
Enough already.

Piware
8/31/2007, 07:16 PM
he needs to find somewhere else to play. he waffled on his decision to come here and now he thinks he should steal shortly after the ncaa came after us.

good work, dude. head on up to t. boone state.

Have a nice life kid - just don't have it here. He sounds like Poke material to me.

goingoneight
8/31/2007, 10:40 PM
No, the gas station's a few miles from campus.

So only the pump servicers (heh heh) have the keys and codes? Ladies and gentlemen, I have a feeling that when the person from the servicing company gets named and caught, he might offer up a couple other names from the OU program (or maybe other programs). If so, let's hope the names are "Bomar" and "Quinn."

It's not a joke what I said. The company I work for has three fuel pumps and a propane tank. Not a person in the company has keys to any of them. The pumps are used equipment provided by the fuel company you do business with. They do the metering, the filling and the calibrating. My dad is the head honcho out there and I'm in the equipment (trucks, trailers, dollies and lifts) maintenance division. I have to sign for it when they come out to work on those pieces of crap and when they fill the reservoirs. The reports stated that the gas station owner is no booster and is letting the police handle it. Let's not go all sky-is-falling, folks.

AlbqSooner
8/31/2007, 10:51 PM
I have to assume that this kid took part in the administration of that oath given to all Sooner athletes beginning this year. If so, he violated an oath he had voluntarily taken. Not the kind of character that represents OU well. He also heard Switzer's comments about the PRIVILEGE of being a Sooner athlete and the responsibilities that are incumbent upon those blessed with that privilege.

Misdemeanor? It is that indeed. It is also a violation of an oath he took. It is also an utter inability to appreciate the blessing which flowed from his athletic abilities. It is also a disregard of the admonition of those in the athletic department who instructed him on right and wrong behavior for athletes. It is also evidence of a lack of character. It is also evidence of an attitude of putting his personal agenda above that of all of his teammates. It is also evidence that in spite of all that had been explained to him of the consequences of violating the rules he chose - C H O S E - to violate the rules anyway.

Give him a game or two suspension for the misdemeanor? Fair enough, but then consider what kind of individual he is and for the sake of all the athletes who are not scofflaws, all the fans alums and students who are affected indirectly by this blot upon the reputation of something they hold dear, for the sake of doing what is right, for those reasons, deny him the right to continue to enjoy the privilege of being an athlete at the University of Oklahoma.

MissouriSooner
8/31/2007, 10:57 PM
Have a nice life kid - just don't have it here. He sounds like Poke material to me.
Agree.

MissouriSooner
8/31/2007, 10:58 PM
I have to assume that this kid took part in the administration of that oath given to all Sooner athletes beginning this year. If so, he violated an oath he had voluntarily taken. Not the kind of character that represents OU well. He also heard Switzer's comments about the PRIVILEGE of being a Sooner athlete and the responsibilities that are incumbent upon those blessed with that privilege.

Misdemeanor? It is that indeed. It is also a violation of an oath he took. It is also an utter inability to appreciate the blessing which flowed from his athletic abilities. It is also a disregard of the admonition of those in the athletic department who instructed him on right and wrong behavior for athletes. It is also evidence of a lack of character. It is also evidence of an attitude of putting his personal agenda above that of all of his teammates. It is also evidence that in spite of all that had been explained to him of the consequences of violating the rules he chose - C H O S E - to violate the rules anyway.

Give him a game or two suspension for the misdemeanor? Fair enough, but then consider what kind of individual he is and for the sake of all the athletes who are not scofflaws, all the fans alums and students who are affected indirectly by this blot upon the reputation of something they hold dear, for the sake of doing what is right, for those reasons, deny him the right to continue to enjoy the privilege of being an athlete at the University of Oklahoma.

Agree.

goingoneight
8/31/2007, 11:05 PM
That's why I kept saying the Keith Nichol shouldn't be thrown in immediately unless the coaches were damn sure he was ready to represent the university. A young kid is always going to be "yes, sir... no, sir" to their coach and will always look like a good find on the outside. Not saying Keith is a bad guy... but that's one of those things you don't really know until you ride it out for awhile. Same reason why Adrian Peterson started the season third on the depth chart. You earn your stripes.
I'm not saying what he did was okay. I'm saying that all of the conspiracy theorists are reading too many poke boards if they think the NCAA is going to come sniffing around on this. It's been reported, it's being investigated, the player has yet to play a down of football for us, and no information suggesting NCAA violations has been documented yet. He stole something... that's wrong. It's up to the coaches to give him a freebie or cut his leash. Somehow, I think we can expect him to be catching passes for Texas Tech or Middle Tennessee, something like that in a few years knowing Stoops. And that's fine by me if it's the coach's decision. I know Stoops is going to do what is best for the program and the kids and families involved.

journeyman
9/1/2007, 12:30 AM
joeTsooner (or anyone else claiming personal friendship with Ron Henderson),

Hasn't he owned Shortstop for a long time? And isn't he, um, vertically challenged? Reason I ask is that I think I knew this guy about 20 years ago. Actually played a little city league basketball with him. He was probably in his early to mid 40s at the time. Nice guy.

Paperclip
9/1/2007, 12:32 AM
He might be suspended 2-3 games, assuming this was a one time thing. Evidence would have be really strong to the contrary. With anything short of a confession or video camera taping, it would be hard to throw any other charges at him.

Its a misdemeanor. Simple. So is fighting.

We are on probation. We don't have the luxury of giving second chances.

utex74
9/1/2007, 12:33 AM

The suspended players were not thieves. They were under age drinkers. (and now one who used a friend's car) The one who burglarized vehicles was kicked off the team this past summer. Another accused of armed robbery is suspended indefinitely pending the legal findings. Is stealing gasoline with a key and a code, if it is shown that is what happened, any less than breaking into vehicles? No. It is felony theft IF, and I do say IF, that is what happened. It is not a college prank or a "boys will be boys" type of event.

journeyman
9/1/2007, 12:36 AM
utex,

About 95% of those who have posted here agree with you.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/1/2007, 01:14 AM
I don't see how you people can visit the enemies message boards to see what they are saying. Who gives a rats *** what they think. I can't stand to even see their stupid school colors let alone read the ignoramous statements the fools make. :confused:Well said. This is why I rank orange aggy as #2 on my dislike scale, just after domer.

goingoneight
9/1/2007, 02:17 AM
I am just like coaches and players, in that I don't take too much stock in message board talk. I like to read the news because the boards are always the first with the scoop, and I like to read the conversations at times... but no way do I worry about what someone's opinion is. I wish like hell they'd leave us alone whenever something bad happens and I wish like hell they'd stop stereotyping OUr program and it's fans... but they're just ignorant outsiders, and that will never change. I don't claim to know more than they do about their programs. What I do know is all fans come and talk sh** about OU all the time and very, very few are able to come close to backing it up.
Most (not all) of my bad encounters with poor sports fans happens in Bed-dumb (for that reason I choose not to attend any sporting events in Stoolwater). Texas fans sweat bullets when we play and are more relieved than cocky when they win, at least in my experience. I've only ever made a few Nebraska games in which the fans were great. IOW, the fans I don't like have actually shown their asses in person, and not by message boards. I'm kind of hard to hate at sporting events, though... so I don't attract a whole lot of idiots screaming and cussing at me.

47straight
9/1/2007, 03:01 AM
The suspended players were not thieves. They were under age drinkers. (and now one who used a friend's car) The one who burglarized vehicles was kicked off the team this past summer. Another accused of armed robbery is suspended indefinitely pending the legal findings. Is stealing gasoline with a key and a code, if it is shown that is what happened, any less than breaking into vehicles? No. It is felony theft IF, and I do say IF, that is what happened. It is not a college prank or a "boys will be boys" type of event.

No, they were underage drunk drivers, an activity known to rack up a nice body count every year, but nice try on spinning it!

Read again. The boy should be gone. I don't care to spin or lessen his offense. I only point out that as far as the law is concerned there is indeed a difference between stealing gas and stealing a car - namely, the value of said theft, which of course makes the former a misdemeanor and the latter a felony - to highlight your ignorance.

cs6000
9/1/2007, 08:20 AM
I have skimmed thru this topic, and hope no one else has already brought this up, BUT:

If a college kid has a key and codes to get free gas, what are the odds that he has not shared that with some of his buddies? That's what has me worried, the possibility this could snowball.

oufan1
9/1/2007, 08:22 AM
I have skimmed thru this topic, and hope no one else has already brought this up, BUT:

If a college kid has a key and codes to get free gas, what are the odds that he has not shared that with some of his buddies? That's what has me worried, the possibility this could snowball.
Skim harder next time;)

kbsooner
9/1/2007, 08:54 AM
I heard back on the day when OU signed Broyles from a good friend in the know that "OU will regret the day they signed that kid" Apparently he had been pegged as a bad seed for a while.

okienole3
9/1/2007, 11:31 AM
I heard back on the day when OU signed Broyles from a good friend in the know that "OU will regret the day they signed that kid" Apparently he had been pegged as a bad seed for a while.

From what I heard, he was a good kid with the tendency to fall in with the wrong crowd. I have no problem with Coach Stoops kicking him off the team. However, if this is a one time incident, I would like to see him get a second chance.

jrsooner
9/1/2007, 12:08 PM
(and now one who used a friend's car)

“I want to apologize to my coaches, teammates, fans and everyone at the university for making this mistake. I was driving a friend’s car and since he didn’t have any ties to UT, I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong. As soon as the coaches asked me about it this summer, I told them everything. I’ve been working through it with our compliance office for the past couple of months. I’m really disappointed because I was feeling good and hoping to convince coach Brown to let me play some against Arkansas State when they broke the news to me today. I want everyone to know I’m really sorry. It was an honest mistake and I’ll do everything I can to make up for it.”

So in other words... failure to monitor? The compliance department didn't catch it. The coach caught it "after awhile". It's been "months" since it came to light, and this is the first we've heard of it. hmmm....

I'm sorry but from a compliancy point of view.. it's all the same. You break a rule no matter which rule, then you did something wrong. No matter if it's a minor or big thing.

jkjsooner
9/1/2007, 01:22 PM
This really brings up the irony behind NCAA rules. Had Broyles been given the code from the owner, this would not be a criminal act yet the NCAA would punish this harshly. If this was a simple case of theft, the NCAA will not get involved.

I understand the reasoning. A criminal offense does not compromise the integrity and fairness of the game whereas uncontrolled boosters do just that.

What if a fellow student gave him the the key and codes? Would that make it an NCAA matter? What if a booster helped him illegally obtain them? What if someone is involved in an illegal theft ring and it just so happens that a university representative (alumni, booster, employee, etc.) is also involved in the ring?

My guess is the NCAA would look at the intent in those cases. Was the intent to give improper benefits to a player or was it merely a coincidence that the player is a college athlete.

In no way am I speculating that any of these things occured in this case.

jrsooner
9/1/2007, 01:33 PM
What if a fellow student gave him the the key and codes? Would that make it an NCAA matter?Yes it would. If he received it because he was a student athlete, otherwise they would have to prove that the other kid wasn't giving preferential treatment to Boyles. Which means, he was giving the goods to everyone.

jkjsooner
9/1/2007, 01:35 PM
Yes it would. If he received it because he was a student athlete, otherwise they would have to prove that the other kid wasn't giving preferential treatment to Boyles. Which means, he was giving the goods to everyone.

Or had close ties with Broyles and the student athlete status was not a factor...

jrsooner
9/1/2007, 01:39 PM
Or had close ties with Broyles and the student athlete status was not a factor...Then the compliancy department would have the kid's information for being a "legal" individual to give Boyle's free stuff. ;)

joeTsooner
9/1/2007, 05:24 PM
joeTsooner (or anyone else claiming personal friendship with Ron Henderson),

Hasn't he owned Shortstop for a long time? And isn't he, um, vertically challenged? Reason I ask is that I think I knew this guy about 20 years ago. Actually played a little city league basketball with him. He was probably in his early to mid 40s at the time. Nice guy.

I would put him about 5'7" or so. Good guy, owned the stor for over 30 years. He also ran cross country at Norman high and OU way back in the day. A good Sooner fan, but not in a position to give gas away for free after hours. I worked for him for all 5 years of colege( I had a good time).

I hope no on on this board has illfeelings toard him because of what has happened. Just a small business owner looking out for the best of his business.

1stTimeCaller
9/1/2007, 08:36 PM
When I worked for him, Ron, he was always wearing Tommy Hilfiger wind suits. I thought he was a pretty nice guy. I worked at that store by the Pizza Hut, heck I worked at 2 others but mainly at that store. I din't have a key or any code to the pumps.

Hell, some guy took a bunch of those novelty lighters right in front of the camera on another guy's shift and when the police wanted to look at the security tape Ron told them that he lost the key and had no way of looking at the video tape. If Ron didn't have the key to his security tapes I highly doubt he had a key to the gas pumps.

soonerloyal
9/2/2007, 09:27 PM
Y'know...amid the excitement of the game last night, I found myself thinking of Broyles. Where he was during the game, was he watching, how horrible he must have been feeling. *sigh*

Less than two days before, he had been at the threshhold of what could have been a night he'd remember for the rest of his life. He probably will anyway, but not the way he might have remembered if he'd only been smarter.

It's sad.

TXBOOMER
9/2/2007, 09:31 PM
Considering the recent history...dude is gone if he is in fact guilty.

Jdog
9/3/2007, 10:27 AM
does it mean anything that the kid has not yet played in a game

Whet
9/3/2007, 10:39 AM
This kid does have a history of doing stupid things, i.e. verbal commitment to OSU...

stoopified
9/3/2007, 03:15 PM
Bob shouldn't even hsave to waste time on this,I say punt the little punk.He acquired keys AND a security code in order to commit a crime,this is NOT just a stupid mistake by an immature young man,this is criminal.Sed him to osu,they wanted him so badly,they can have him.Just my two cents.

birddog
9/3/2007, 03:16 PM
i'm surprised we haven't heard anything in a while. maybe they're just keeping it low until they get all the facts.

goingoneight
9/3/2007, 03:20 PM
The police are still sorting it all out... it's only been five days, I believe. Kid's probably got a court date and a meeting with the coaches to follow. I look fr details either late this week or sometime next week. I doubt he wears the crimson and cream again, unless the stars align and he's some way innocent or he takes soem time off to get his act together... which is not likely.

birddog
9/3/2007, 03:24 PM
i thought maybe all had a knee-jerk reaction on the day we found out. after having time to look back on it, unless there's a reasonable explanation (i don't know if there is such a thing in this case), i still feel the same way. our kids are trying to win games. we don't need any distractions right now because we have a chance to play for something really special in january.

i believe he gave up that right when he pulled in to the gas station.

okienole3
9/19/2007, 02:31 PM
UPDATE:

Broyles pleads no contest and is given a six-month deferred sentence, which means in six-months, this little thing goes away.

kevpks
9/19/2007, 02:38 PM

I used to work there and the last thing that owner would do is give anything free to anybody. He could care less about OU. The only team he remotely cares about is the Yankees.

BoomerJack
9/19/2007, 02:42 PM
UPDATE:

Broyles pleads no contest and is given a six-month deferred sentence, which means in six-months, this little thing goes away.

I guess that now, the ball is in Coach Stoops' and the Ath. Dept.'s court. What to do? What to do?

1. Kick him off the team and out of the University with no chance of returning?

2. Suspend him from the team (or effectively bench him) for the season or six months. Let him stay on scholly and he will be able to participate in spring ball.

Any other ideas anybody?

r5TPsooner
9/19/2007, 02:55 PM
Was he even going to see PT this season?

Suspend him for the year, put him on a no tolerance policy for the remainder of his time at OU. Give the kid a 2nd chance and if he even as much as farts the wrong way, kick him off the team.

Paperclip
9/19/2007, 02:58 PM
Reading the article it sounds like Broyles pulled a USC and stonewalled the cops then took a plea deal. He entered his plea without revealing how he got the key and the codes. Sooner haters will assuredly parlay this into an OU cover up. However, looks like that will all be speculation without any evidence of wrongdoing.

Doged
9/19/2007, 03:03 PM
Was he even going to see PT this season?

Suspend him for the year, put him on a no tolerance policy for the remainder of his time at OU. Give the kid a 2nd chance and if he even as much as farts the wrong way, kick him off the team.

The problem with doing that is OUr probation. How can you trust a known thief to not violate NCAA rules? I think they have no choice but to dismiss him permanently. If we weren't on probation then there might be some wiggle room to give him a second chance, but betting the program on him just doesn't make any sense.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/19/2007, 03:21 PM
The problem with doing that is OUr probation. How can you trust a known thief to not violate NCAA rules? I think they have no choice but to dismiss him permanently. If we weren't on probation then there might be some wiggle room to give him a second chance, but betting the program on him just doesn't make any sense.Excellent! Sam Houston State could prolly ues a WR to go along with their new QB

Scott D
9/19/2007, 03:23 PM
Make him police up the stadium after the game, giving Kabookie all the collectible cups.

fixed.

TexasLidig8r
9/19/2007, 03:28 PM
Reading the article it sounds like Broyles pulled a USC and stonewalled the cops then took a plea deal. He entered his plea without revealing how he got the key and the codes. Sooner haters will assuredly parlay this into an OU cover up. However, looks like that will all be speculation without any evidence of wrongdoing.

Even though I don't practice criminal law, I remember enough from law school that the number one rule for criminal defendants.. DON'T SAY ANYTHING!!! If the DA didn't make the plea conditioned upon him disclosing all information, then, it was simply a matter of a person smart enough to keep his mouth shut.

on a related note, Broyles announced his intention to transfer to the University of Texas saying he felt more comfortable in the family atmosphere fostered in Austin..... :(

r5TPsooner
9/19/2007, 03:29 PM
Even though I don't practice criminal law, I remember enough from law school that the number one rule for criminal defendants.. DON'T SAY ANYTHING!!! If the DA didn't make the plea conditioned upon him disclosing all information, then, it was simply a matter of a person smart enough to keep his mouth shut.

on a related note, Broyles announced his intention to transfer to the University of Texas saying he felt more comfortable in the family atmosphere fostered in Austin..... :(

Broyles likes prison rapes?

boomersooner28
9/19/2007, 07:51 PM
Cops still don't know how he got the key and codes, apparently he won't talk. He is practicing with the team.

AlbqSooner
9/19/2007, 08:02 PM
First phrase in the Miranda warning is, "You have the right to remain silent." I am of the opinion that the reason it is first is because it is the most important. I practiced Criminal Defense for many years and I would estimate that of my clients who were convicted or entered a plea agreement, probably 90% of them would have walked if they had exercised their right to remain silent.

I don't know who represented this kid, but six months deferred is a really good deal on that charge.

jrsooner
9/19/2007, 08:12 PM
I guess that now, the ball is in Coach Stoops' and the Ath. Dept.'s court. What to do? What to do?

1. Kick him off the team and out of the University with no chance of returning?That would be my choice. Kick him off the team, and send him to Sam Houston State.

I would be more willing for a year suspension if he didn't know what he was doing was wrong, ie Stupid Teenager Brain Dead activities. BUT stealing gas, he can't state "I didn't know that was wrong". It was premeditated, so kick his tailend off the team.

I'd rather Stoops take a direct and swift action on this, rather than it become a team like Mack's. :)

Crucifax Autumn
9/20/2007, 12:03 AM
Well, at least he didn't assault anyone or get into a gunfight or anything else like that.

At least being broke enough to steal gas means he's not fudging his timecard much!

okienole3
9/20/2007, 10:31 AM
First phrase in the Miranda warning is, "You have the right to remain silent." I am of the opinion that the reason it is first is because it is the most important. I practiced Criminal Defense for many years and I would estimate that of my clients who were convicted or entered a plea agreement, probably 90% of them would have walked if they had exercised their right to remain silent.

I don't know who represented this kid, but six months deferred is a really good deal on that charge.

Very good deal.