PDA

View Full Version : So I don't get cheated, I really need you all to help me please

MamaMia
8/30/2007, 12:52 PM
Are the Consumer reports accurate? A car salesman just told me that the information on my paid for Consumer Report on a new Nissan Pathfinder LE V8 4x4 is wrong, and that I need to look at the Kelly Blue Book at KKB.com.

I haven't looked at it yet, (I probably wouldn't understand anyway :O ), but this is what the Consumers Report that I bought online says about the Nissan LE V8 Pathfinder 4x4.

_Manufacturers suggested retail price. MS RP :)
1) The retail price listed on the window sticker. ("what the dealer wants you to pay").
- Base MSRP is $38,700.00
- Destination charge - $705.00
- Gas Guzzler Tax - $0.00
- Luxury Tax - $0.00
- Consumer Rebate Thru 09/04/07 3.9% - 4.9% financing in lieu of rebates ($2000.00)

*Total MSRP plus add MSRP for packages/options $37,405.00

_Dealer Invoice Price (Invoice)
2) The Dealers maximum cost to acquire the car from the manufacturer.
- Base Invoice is $35,842.00
- Destination Charge $705.00
- Gas Guzzler Tax $0.00
- Luxury Tax $0.00
- Consumer Rebate Thru 09/04/07 3.9% - 4.9% financing in lieu of rebates ($2000.00)

*Total Dealer Invoice plus add Dealer Invoice for packages/options $34,547.00

_Consumer Reports (CR) Bottom Line Price
3)The place to start negotiating. Takes into account the dealer incentives and hold-backs that may be in effect.
- Dealer Invoice Price is $34,547.00
- Dealer Incentive (Subtract) ($0.00)
- Dealer Hold-back (Subtract) ($717.00)

*Consumers Reports Bottom Line Price is plus add Dealer Invoice for packages/options $33,830.00

Okay...I told this fellow that I was going to have to talk to my Sooner pen pals on my message center first, before I made this big of a decision. As I was typing this post he called back and said that he would sell me a Sooner Crimson Nissan LE with the navigation package for $37,705.00.

Do y'all think I can get a better deal? Please keep in mind that the more I save, the more I can give to the University at the end of the year. Live On University... :D

mdklatt
8/30/2007, 01:15 PM
A car salesman just told me

You can stop right there.

MamaMia
8/30/2007, 01:25 PM
You can stop right there.
I know what you mean. Tuesday, I had this one guy from Fenton Nissan West tell me that they had such a high interest rate because their cars are better. I went to my bank and got a much better rate.

Then yesterday a different saleman from the Midwest City Nissan tried to charge me extra for things that are standard on the LE. :P

Widescreen
8/30/2007, 01:44 PM
When my wife and I were looking for her new minivan, some ****** salesman at Lewisville VW tried to tell me that the used model they had on their lot (it wasn't a VW) didn't ever come with the features we were looking for so I should just buy the one they had since it was as good as it got. I looked at him and asked him why there were blanks on the dash where those features always go. He just gave me some rambling incoherent answer but he knew I knew what I was talking about. Idiot.

jk the sooner fan
8/30/2007, 01:48 PM
i dont think i'll ever buy a brand new vehicle again

i just dont see them as good investments

look at edmunds.com and nada.com, you'll find a different price just about every website you go too

Boarder
8/30/2007, 01:57 PM
Do y'all think I can get a better deal? Please keep in mind that the more I save, the more I can give to the University at the end of the year. Live On University... :D

If the $37--- price with the rebates figured in? From what I can gather he's wanting to sell it to you for $3200 over invoice ($5200 before rebate), right? I'd think you could get a much better deal.

rufnek05
8/30/2007, 02:02 PM
i'd say look for program cars. they have all the bells and whistles you could ask for. most have less than 8k miles on them after about 6 months. you lose 6-12 grand off the sticker price for a basically new vehicle.

olevetonahill
8/30/2007, 02:21 PM
Dealers and Banks here go by N.A.D.A.
edmunds and Kbb are set way to high .

MamaMia
8/30/2007, 02:24 PM
i'd say look for program cars. they have all the bells and whistles you could ask for. most have less than 8k miles on them after about 6 months. you lose 6-12 grand off the sticker price for a basically new vehicle.
That would be a great idea but the V8 Nissan LE Pathfinder 4x4 that I'm getting just came out 2 weeks ago and now that my XTerra has been wrecked, I need a new car real soon.

MamaMia
8/30/2007, 02:28 PM
Dealers and Banks here go by N.A.D.A.
edmunds and Kbb are set way to high . So, should I call my bank to find out what that N.A.D.A. edmunds is on the car I want?

Oh, I forgot to mention that the only non standard thing I want costs $1,800. Its the navigation package.

jk the sooner fan
8/30/2007, 02:31 PM
That would be a great idea but the V8 Nissan LE Pathfinder 4x4 that I'm getting just came out 2 weeks ago and now that my XTerra has been wrecked, I need a new car real soon.

i think you're confusing "need" with "want"

olevetonahill
8/30/2007, 02:32 PM
So, should I call my bank to find out what that N.A.D.A. edmunds is on the car I want?

Oh, I forgot to mention that the only non standard thing I want costs $1,800. Its the navigation package.
Yup Call your banker
ask him the NADA loan Value, the rtail and If if they have the trade in . try to buy around the tardein value

TexasLidig8r
8/30/2007, 02:40 PM
And play the game... go back. .get the sales troll to go on another test drive with you... negotiate.. take up his time.... then ... leave....

Next day.. come back..look at a different car... negotiate on that car for awhile... take up his time.... start to mention the first car again...

You need to work them.. instead of letting them work you.

1stTimeCaller
8/30/2007, 02:40 PM
like JK said, check out www.edmunds.com.

jk the sooner fan
8/30/2007, 02:41 PM
dont ever sign a contract for a car without leaving the lot

give him your bottom offer and when they start the game, take your keys and leave

go home

they'll call you, i promise

Sooner-jackman
8/30/2007, 02:41 PM
N/A

Sooner-jackman
8/30/2007, 02:42 PM
Nice!

Taxman71
8/30/2007, 02:46 PM

give him your bottom offer and when they start the game, take your keys and leave

go home

That's been my experience with all......except Hudiburg. They refused to come off sticker on a PROGRAM Tahoe with 5k miles because "we don't have a problem selling cars like other dealers do". What about the $10,000 guarantee to match other dealers? The salesman turned into Beavis and Butthead. That place is horrid.

soonerbrat
8/30/2007, 02:47 PM

go home

definitely works. when i was buying a new car, the interest they offered me was outrageous (12.9%)..I told them it was ridiculous and walked away..my friend had driven me there, so i got in her car and we started to leave and the manager chased us down and offered me 2.9%

i ended up financing through my credit union with an even better rate, but still..

Taxman71
8/30/2007, 02:55 PM
Most importantly, read your sales contract VERY CAREFULLY, especially the bold numbers typed in. Dealers are notorious for changing the interest rate, sales price, trade-in value, etc. on the contract. When you call them on it, they chalk it up to typographical error, grabbed the wrong contract, etc. Do not get in a hurry and try your best to wear out the salesperson and the scum-of-the-earth finance/extended warranty guy.

Stoop Dawg
8/30/2007, 03:17 PM
scum-of-the-earth finance/extended warranty guy.

Seriously, where do they get these guys? Dude wanted to sell me GAP insurance on a 36 month note. I said "I'll only be upside down for about 4 or 5 months, but you want me to pay extra for the full 36 months? I don't think so."

I agree with Lid and JK, go in several times (if you have the time) and take up as much of their time as you can.

Also, it really doesn't matter what KBB, Edmunds, Consumer Reports, or anyone else says. What matters is what you're willing to pay and what they're willing to accept. They try to use those other prices as a crutch, but I tell them "I'm not buying from KBB, I'm buying from you".

I_SMELL_FEAR
8/30/2007, 03:23 PM
I do all my dealing over the phone. Screw going in and wasting time playing their little games.

When I bought my pickup, my wife called a guy she graduated with that is a salesman and asked what he could do. He shot a price, told her what incentives were available and such, but that he didnt have exactly what we were looking for in stock, but if I could find it somewhere else, dont pay more than the price he shot. We called several other dealers and only Knippelmeyer (sp?) told us up front what the incentives were, and about the same price, so we bought it. Then the finance guy found something that saved us another couple hundred. I was in the dealership about 1 hour and drove off with the pickup. I will definately drive to Blanchard to do business with them again.

All the other dealers we called try to act like there was no incentives, and was asking about 4,000 more.

Taxman71
8/30/2007, 03:24 PM
I know about a bazillion people who swear by Knippelmeier in Blanchard. I wouldn't buy a Chevy anywhere else.

jk the sooner fan
8/30/2007, 03:27 PM
the dealership out in kingfisher is supposed to be friendly....johnsons i think?

SoonerJack
8/30/2007, 03:29 PM
I'd buy from Knippelmeir just for the privilege of saying the name!

r5TPsooner
8/30/2007, 03:36 PM
http://www.carmax.com/dyn/compare/comparevehicles.aspx

Here is a good place to compare. My wife has the Pathfinder you speak of and we purchased it right around $33k outright. It's been a good vehicle and gas mileage is about what you expect.

BTW, the V6 in the Pathfinder is pretty quick, so if price is a factor, you might demo an LE with the V6.

If memory serves me correctly, the V8 in the newer Pathfinders is not the same as the Titan and Armada have. I personally drive the Titan and it's been a great vehicle.

Good luck.

Turd_Ferguson
8/30/2007, 03:38 PM
Heh. Kari was HAWT back in the day.

LilSooner
8/30/2007, 03:49 PM
Good people out in Blanchard.

IB4OU2
8/30/2007, 03:55 PM

I like to say names that are hard sometimes too...

SeattleOUstudent
8/30/2007, 04:08 PM
Ive also read that emailing several dealerships (within 200 miles) works like a charm. State the items that you want and say in the email that "I will not haggle. Dont bother trying to sell me a vehicle with other features." and basically that its a bidding war and lowest bid wins.

Im sure there are successful variations on this.

1stTimeCaller
8/30/2007, 04:12 PM
If you are looking for a Chevrolet, you won't find a better deal and an easier time buying than you will at Knipp.

OUHOMER
8/30/2007, 04:18 PM
save some money

http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/carsales/partnerHome.do;jsessionid=GXzFS9lVBhQYJ7Pcj97w9l4P zv7y42nT2lVQt4ygQFx0nhTyyKPl!-1236787704

MamaMia
8/30/2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks for helping everybody. You don't know how much I appreciate this. :)

The guy in Enid, Chuck, just offered to sell me the crimson car for $37,705.00 total. That includes the Navigation system that goes for $1,800.00. He said that he would wave the "dock fee" and sell me a bumper to bumper warranty for $1,640.00. So the really total is $39,345.00.

The guy at Bob Howard, Jack, is more expensive for the same car, only in a white. He wants $37,915.00 for the same car and the finance manager, Chris says the warranty there is $1,750.00. So the real total for the car and the warranty at Bob Howard is $39,665.00.

If I understood that Consumer Report thing I posted, I would be able to figure out if that's a good or bad deal. :O

Oh and the guy in Enid, Chuck, wants my credit card # to give him $500.00 in advance to secure his deal, if I agree to it, and to get the car to Oklahoma. :confused:

jk the sooner fan
8/30/2007, 04:22 PM
you havent haggled nearly enough

Widescreen
8/30/2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks for helping everybody. You don't know how much I appreciate this. :)

The guy in Enid, Chuck, just offered to sell me the crimson car for $37,705.00 total. That includes the Navigation system that goes for $1,800.00. He said that he would wave the "dock fee" and sell me a bumper to bumper warranty for $1,640.00. So the really total is $39,345.00.

The guy at Bob Howard, Jack, is more expensive for the same car, only in a white. He wants $37,915.00 for the same car and the finance manager, Chris says the warranty there is $1,750.00. So the real total for the car and the warranty at Bob Howard is $39,665.00.

If I understood that Consumer Report thing I posted, I would be able to figure out if that's a good or bad deal. :O

Oh and the guy in Enid, Chuck, wants my credit card # to give him $500.00 in advance to secure his deal, if I agree to it, and to get the car to Oklahoma. :confused:
As to the warranty, you don't have to buy it now. You might be able to get a better deal by shopping around for your warranty after the fact. Of course you wouldn't be able to roll it into the note if you did that.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/30/2007, 04:25 PM
you havent haggled nearly enough

Amen.

Work 'em, Mama. Give 'em hell!

Taxman71
8/30/2007, 04:27 PM
Tell Chuck to go suck a duck...or something like that.

Taxman71
8/30/2007, 04:28 PM
I have been told that you should never pay more than $900 for an extended warranty.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/30/2007, 04:28 PM
Why are they wanting to charge her for a warranty on a brand new car anyway?

Doesn't Nissan do 5 or 60 powertrain, 3 or 36 bumper to bumper standard with the vehicle? If that's the case, which if memory serves from when I bought my Frontier it is, an extended warranty is a waste of money.

EDIT: Just looked it up. It's 5 years or 60K miles powertrain, 3 years or 36K miles limited bumper to bumper.

Harry Beanbag
8/30/2007, 04:30 PM
Which V8, 4.0L or 5.6L?

MamaMia
8/30/2007, 04:31 PM
Tell Chuck to go suck a duck...or something like that. Because of the price he offered or because of the $500.00 in advance secure money, or both? Not because I'm going to tell him that, but if I did why would I? :D

Harry Beanbag
8/30/2007, 04:32 PM
Because of the price he offered or because of the $500.00 in advance secure money, or both? Not because I'm going to tell him that, but if I did why would I? :D

Because he's in Enid. ;)

Taxman71
8/30/2007, 04:39 PM
Because of the price he offered or because of the $500.00 in advance secure money, or both? Not because I'm going to tell him that, but if I did why would I? :D

No way would I give a car salesman a credit card number or remotely agree to anything over the phone.

As previously stated, you have this guy bargaining with you. I would slow-play him with statements about looking at other dealerships, waiting to get responses from other salespeople you have talked to, etc. before finalizing a deal. Perhaps suggest that you would be willing to finalize the deal (in person by driving to the dealership) but only if the deal were too good to let go, such as him lowering the price another $1,000 or more. All he can do is say no. Besides, I guarantee you they will give you the same quoted deal next week.

Car salesman take pride is $crewing over female buyers.

OUHOMER
8/30/2007, 04:54 PM
I think JK is right, You should be able to get a couple of grand more off that price. I would call them back and tell them another dealer offer the same price and through the extended warranty in for free. Or just offer them 35 grand for it all. those type SUVs are not flying of the lots

MamaMia
8/30/2007, 04:58 PM
No way would I give a car salesman a credit card number or remotely agree to anything over the phone.

As previously stated, you have this guy bargaining with you. I would slow-play him with statements about looking at other dealerships, waiting to get responses from other salespeople you have talked to, etc. before finalizing a deal. Perhaps suggest that you would be willing to finalize the deal (in person by driving to the dealership) but only if the deal were too good to let go, such as him lowering the price another $1,000 or more. All he can do is say no. Besides, I guarantee you they will give you the same quoted deal next week.

Car salesman take pride is $crewing over female buyers.So I should tell him I'm a guy with a high voice? :P Actually, thats what I kind of thought, so its nice to have a whole bunch of fellow Sooners helping me.

Both dealerships are saying that they have an end of the month incentive thing going and thats why they can make such a good deal but that makes me feel really pressured. So, do you all think the deals they are offering are really that good?

The guy at the Bob Howard Nissan just called and wants $500.00 too before he can get the car to Oklahoma. I guess thats what they have to pay. I would like to drive the car before I decide. It would be nice to be able to do that for free. My banker just called to check up on how I'm doing. He said not to give either one of them any money. He had no idea if I was getting a good deal or not. The guy at Bob Howard, Jack, also says that the MSRP on the car I want is $39,915.00. That doesn't make any sense to me since the Consumer Report says its $37,404.00. When I told him that he said that he was looking right at the Nissan MSRP.

Harry Beanbag
8/30/2007, 05:08 PM
Which engine? That'll make a difference.

olevetonahill
8/30/2007, 05:28 PM
Tell em to kick rocks
If you feel pressured then DONT do it . If they want a sale then they will Accomadate YOU .
Offer em 34500 fer the damn thing . then hang up , You will get a call back with a counter offer tell em nope your Firm and thanks for tryin But you are talkin to others . Stick with That price I said . Till they get down to where you feel comfortable . Dealers Dont make that much off the Car itself they Get thieres in the end of year thing . Plus a comish on the extended warrany and all the other things they try to add on after the deal .

r5TPsooner
8/30/2007, 05:29 PM
So I should tell him I'm a guy with a high voice? :P Actually, thats what I kind of thought, so its nice to have a whole bunch of fellow Sooners helping me.

Both dealerships are saying that they have an end of the month incentive thing going and thats why they can make such a good deal but that makes me feel really pressured. So, do you all think the deals they are offering are really that good?

The guy at the Bob Howard Nissan just called and wants $500.00 too before he can get the car to Oklahoma. I guess thats what they have to pay. I would like to drive the car before I decide. It would be nice to be able to do that for free. My banker just called to check up on how I'm doing. He said not to give either one of them any money. He had no idea if I was getting a good deal or not. The guy at Bob Howard, Jack, also says that the MSRP on the car I want is $39,915.00. That doesn't make any sense to me since the Consumer Report says its $37,404.00. When I told him that he said that he was looking right at the Nissan MSRP.

I have two new Nissan's and I would rather drive 30 minutes to Hudiburg Nissan than give any business to Bob Howard who is five minutes away.

That should tell you all you need to know about how his dealerships do business.

Personally, you should make a few more phone calls and shop around. I'd even call Tulsa and smaller Nissan dealerships around the metro. BTW, Extended warranties are usually rip offs and read the fine print for deductibles before buying one.

MamaMia
8/30/2007, 05:50 PM
Which engine? That'll make a difference. I want the V8. I've specifically been waiting for the V8. Thats the only one I have been dealing on. My V6 XTerra SE barely gets me through the mountains in Eastern Oklahoma. I drove to the last OU/Buff game we had in Boulder and was having to floor it to keep from going back wards. :D

Now they're giving me their cell phone numbers.

Taxman71
8/30/2007, 06:13 PM
Sounds like you are doing a good job of leading them on (even if it is unintentional). As stated above, determine a price you think is fair for the whole package and stick to it like glue. Any deal available today will be at least as good as what you will get in a month or so. And don't be afraid to lowball.

jk the sooner fan
8/30/2007, 06:14 PM
wait, you're negotiating for a car thats not on the lot and that you havent driven?

good luck getting any kind of deal

they have to move cars that are actually on the lot

if they have to order one in for you, they arent going to take any kind (or much) of a loss

Taxman71
8/30/2007, 06:15 PM
wait, you're negotiating for a car thats not on the lot and that you havent driven?

good luck getting any kind of deal

they have to move cars that are actually on the lot

if they have to order one in for you, they arent going to take any kind (or much) of a loss

Good advice because the cars sitting on their lot are costing them money every day they don't sell.

Harry Beanbag
8/30/2007, 06:19 PM
This is a 2008 model right? Is the V8 new for 2008?

The carsdirect price for that vehicle is $37297. So if you must have the navigation thingie, the prices you've been quoted actually don't sound that bad at all. Apparently, there aren't a whole lot of incentives for that vehicle right now.

Heck you can get a Yukon for $43000. ;)

MamaMia
8/30/2007, 07:09 PM
This is a 2008 model right? Is the V8 new for 2008?

The carsdirect price for that vehicle is $37297. So if you must have the navigation thingie, the prices you've been quoted actually don't sound that bad at all. Apparently, there aren't a whole lot of incentives for that vehicle right now.

Heck you can get a Yukon for $43000. ;) Yes, this is the 2008 V8 LE 4x4 with the Navigation package. I really do want the navigation package. I'm a small town girl who gets lost a lot when I'm traveling and it makes me nervous. It would be nice to be able to have a map, push a button and have a comforting voice tell me where I am. :O

So, you think I'm getting a good deal at the 37,705.00 price? Maybe I ought to forget getting that extended warranty? Do you all think I should consider that deal? I could go to Hudiburg and offer $36,700.00 just for funnsies.

soonerboomer93
8/30/2007, 07:31 PM
try to find something they have on the lot first so you can test drive it

you can also look into after market navigation systems that might save you some money

Mjcpr
8/30/2007, 07:45 PM
$20 says she buys it tonight.

And I'm talking 1TC's money so you know he's good for it.

MamaMia
8/30/2007, 08:25 PM
Okay. Hudiburg just said that they can get me into the same car for $36,000.00. When I said that a Sooner pen pal suggested them to me, they said that they would send them $100.00 if I buy my car from them, so if y'all want tail gate beer money one of you all who's bought cars from Hudiburg needs to pm me so you can go get the tailgate beer. :D

Rogue
8/30/2007, 08:48 PM
Soonerfans strikes again!

Petro-Sooner
8/30/2007, 08:55 PM
Thread of the week. I'm entertained and learning at the same time.

MamaMia
8/30/2007, 09:49 PM
If the $37--- price with the rebates figured in? From what I can gather he's wanting to sell it to you for $3200 over invoice ($5200 before rebate), right? I'd think you could get a much better deal.I hope so. I have an appointment with the Hudiburg people tomorrow. the saleslady said they have a couple of what I want on the lot.

StoopTroup
8/30/2007, 10:14 PM
Is she hawt? ;)

soonerboomer93
8/30/2007, 10:20 PM
can you have secks on it?

r5TPsooner
8/31/2007, 01:09 PM
The V8 Pathfinder is really sweet. But I have found the v6 to be just as good especially given the price difference. The V6 in the Pathfinder is powerful but a bit loud at times. But if Mama thinks that she needs the V8 over the V6 then she should go for it.

Like I said before, I have an 07 Titan with the V8 and it has been awesome. I even like it better than the Tundra which looks like a Ford experiment gone wrong.

Mama, you might also look at the V8 4runner by Toyota, Nice vehicle and better built IMHO.

C&CDean
8/31/2007, 03:20 PM
Man, y'all buy cars in a ****ed up manner.

All I do is research the vehicle I want a little on the web and see what it's worth. Then I talk to the credit union to get their opinion. Then I knock a couple $K off that and go to the dealership. The minute the sales geek walks up I go "go get the manager so we can sidestep all the bull****. I'm going to buy a car today from somebody, and if you want it to be you, you're gonna sell it to me for $xxx." If he goes "we don't do it that way here sir" I go "see ya."

My wife won't go anywhere near the dealership with me cause she gets embarrassed. I was buying a Dodge truck in Guthrie one time and the salesman goes "but sir, if I sell it to you for that I won't make any commission, and my kids have to eat." I said "make a little off the next fool, and if you really cared about your kids you wouldn't be selling cars in a POS dealership, you'd have a real job. Now go get the manager before I leave." My wife kinda shrunk into the chair...

But she likes it when I bring her a new vehicle home for a lot less money.

StoopTroup
8/31/2007, 03:27 PM
My wife won't go anywhere near the dealership with me cause she gets embarrassed. I was buying a Dodge truck in Guthrie one time and the salesman goes "but sir, if I sell it to you for that I won't make any commission, and my kids have to eat." I said "make a little off the next fool, and if you really cared about your kids you wouldn't be selling cars in a POS dealership, you'd have a real job. Now go get the manager before I leave." My wife kinda shrunk into the chair...

That es teh awesome ! ! !

Next time you go buy a car...call me...we'll double team em.

A friend of mine and I did something similar up as Riverside Chev in Tulsa.

Best fun I've had in awhile.

Folks...if you are feeling down maybe life hasn't been treating you so well...

Go car or truck shopping....even if you don't need one.

Have them run your credit to show them you could buy any vehicle on the lot.

Then take a few test drives...

Then when they start to pressure you..

Take ol Dean's advice...

:D

r5TPsooner
8/31/2007, 09:42 PM
I always take the wife with me. WE play the good cop bad cop routine. She acts like a beyonce and follows my lead.

We actually have a lot of fun with buying a car. The main thing is always be prepared and know what the said vehicle is worth.

Frozen Sooner
8/31/2007, 09:48 PM
Man, y'all buy cars in a ****ed up manner.

All I do is research the vehicle I want a little on the web and see what it's worth. Then I talk to the credit union to get their opinion. Then I knock a couple $K off that and go to the dealership. The minute the sales geek walks up I go "go get the manager so we can sidestep all the bull****. I'm going to buy a car today from somebody, and if you want it to be you, you're gonna sell it to me for $xxx." If he goes "we don't do it that way here sir" I go "see ya."

But she likes it when I bring her a new vehicle home for a lot less money.

Wow, that "my kids have to eat" line is the worst sales line I've ever heard.

Why do I care that your kids have to eat? That's not my problem. That's your problem. In fact, telling me that your kids need to eat means you should be desperate to sell a car so you can keep your job, because if you're a car salesman and you're struggling to support your family, you're a ****-poor one and you're close to being fired.

Put down that coffee, son. Coffee's for closers.

Pretty much the way that Dean is describing there is the best way to buy a car. Make sure you don't tell them that you have your financing arranged before you show up-they'll sometimes give you a better deal on the car thinking they'll make it up by upselling the rate or otherwise ****ing you on the financing. Once you've agreed on a price, then you tell them you've got your financing arranged.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/31/2007, 10:04 PM

go home

I had a dick of a salesman once. I bought my Honda Accord 16 years ago. I had the consumer reports price info (which is very good). I had one dealer deal with me straight up, one dealer told me that the dectination charge wasn't correct and a third dealer told me they had the car I wanted on the lot, I went by and they walked me around the lot with Lo and Behold...no car. I told the guy to stop dicking with me, he said he wasn't. I then asked for his best and final price, I was buying within a week and had cash. He told me he couldn't tell me the price of the car until it arrived. A week later I called dealer #1 and bought the car for 2500 under list - as soon as they new I had consumer reports info, they agreed with the numbers and got serious. Dealer #3 called 30 minutes after I bought the car over the phone and told me my car had arrived that day. I told them I know, I had just purchased it at a competitor....:D I felt good.

Rogue
8/31/2007, 10:13 PM
Wow, that "my kids have to eat" line is the worst sales line I've ever heard.

Why do I care that your kids have to eat? That's not my problem. That's your problem. In fact, telling me that your kids need to eat means you should be desperate to sell a car so you can keep your job, because if you're a car salesman and you're struggling to support your family, you're a ****-poor one and you're close to being fired.

Put down that coffee, son. Coffee's for closers.

I actually had a dealer in Midland, TX cry, tell me he had to keep the lights on, etc. Y'all know I'm a sensitive bugger, but that ****ed me off because it was phony and manipulative. I told him so, shopped online for a Toyota super-dealer or whatever they're called, and bought one on the phone in NM. One advantage I usually have is ICGAF what color my car/truck is for the most part. I am not usually in a hurry (unlike motorcycle shopping when I've got "the fever") and don't care if you sell the car of a certain color or option package, I'll wait. Did all my shopping online last time, financed at the CU, drove up and picked up my truck. I spent a few weeks beforehand test driving, haggling, and "practicing" with no intention to buy unless I got a killer deal. I share the low opinion most in this thread have of car dealers, there are some good people in the business I'm sure. Just haven't met 'em.

olevetonahill
8/31/2007, 10:14 PM
Right On Dean
My sis had my Dad go to the dealers with her
The salesdude kept trying to go back and forth with the Manager dude
Dad said **** this **** Let me Go talk to him. Salesdude That aint the this works " Dad said It is If ya want to sell a car "
Mom and Sister were Embarrased at My Dad
Dad marched his happy *** up there and Jawed the Manager.
Got My sis the Car she wanted at the price he wanted .
You Go DEAN

MamaMia
9/3/2007, 10:53 AM
I bought the car at Hudiburg for $37,400.00 along with the Gold Club extended warranty for $1300.00. When I got there, the manager who, over the phone, said that $36,000.00 seemed like a good price, thought I was wanting a V6. In his defense I did forget to tell him that I wanted the V8. My husband told me that the Hudiburg people are generous donors to OU.

The salesman, David, was a nice enough fellow but he was none too pleased with me because I refused too make small talk with him. He tried to chat with my husband about the deal, but my husband said "You're going to have to deal with her. I'm just here for the fun of it." David started out all :D in the beginning, but soon went to :rolleyes:. I was very quiet and serious. I showed him my Consumers Report and then wrote down $37,400.00, the price I would pay. He came back after talking to the manager and wrote down $38,700.00. I rewrote the same price I had written before and told him that I also wanted them to wave the dock fee and then I said "Take it or leave it." He came back and wrote my same price, $37,400.00 and said they would wave the dock fee. We shook hands and the deal was made. It was fun. You guys gave me the confidence I needed to do this and I got a price I felt was fair. :)

I do feel very sad that I will have to sell my 2001 Nissan XTerra. Its been a good car until that osu fan hit me. I just don't want to have a car that has been dinged. Even though its not a really bad ding, you just never know if something in the engine got scooted over. That car has taken me to all but one home game we've had since the day I brought her home, and to several away games. We've also been to every OU/texas game since then. Its taken me across the country to the Rose Bowl and to the Sugar Bowl. Poor little car tucked its tailpipe under its bumper on the way home from the GOWWDNS. I wanted to jump off the Tallahatchie bridge but thank goodness it kept on driving. ;)

I've taken good care of that car and its been good to me. I will make sure that whoever I sell it to is a Sooner fan. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/ou.gif

jk the sooner fan
9/3/2007, 10:58 AM
there is a reason they are "generous" donors to OU ;)

1stTimeCaller
9/3/2007, 11:45 AM

That's why I like Knippelmier. Their salesmen are the only person you have to deal with. They don't run back and forth to talk to a manager. They make the deal themselves because they know what the dealership has in the vehicle and what they can sell it for. And you don't have to be rude or belittle anyone in the process!